Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I reloaded to avoid burning a Rod of Resurrection charge on you Minsc, stop making me regret it by decided Anomen and Jaheira are better targets to berserk on than Umber Hulks and Mummies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Washout posted:

Lets see if you can beat Severok SCS without cheese, I sure can't.
In my games, Sarevok's last stand always enters the history books as the event that decimated the Gnoll, Ogre and Hobgoblin populations of the Sword Coast, as untold numbers of their kind were teleported away from their families by Charname's party's Wands of Monster Summoning just to slow him down a little while the party took care of his acolytes (and then their skeletons).

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Is that spoiler tagged part a SCS feature?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yes.
SCS adds another guy to the fight and everyone but Sarevok comes back as a Skeleton Warrior. IIRC Sarevok can't be killed as long as the acolytes are still alive, but the Skeleton Warriors can actually be ignored.
e: By this I mean I'm sure you can't kill him while one of his acolytes is still standing, but I'm not entirely certain about the skeletons right now. I think they're just distractions.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 27, 2016

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Noooope, ToB just cannot sustain my interest another time through. What a trashy expansion pack. Well, since I'm not finishing that playthrough, it's yearly reinstall and mod update time! When I've refreshed the Tutu install, might start up another Ironman too.

While all that's happening, weeks-dead posts which I only just read, arise!

e X posted:

I genuinely wonder what the point of the Athkatla magic ban and the Cowled Wizards actually is. Or what purpose Spellhold served originally. Seriously, you'd think an organization that has their own torture prison on a remote island would be worth a quest. Do they have some complicated Forgotten realms backstory, like the Harpers or the Red Mages?
Others enumerated the Cowled Wizard backstory in brief, to which I'll only add that despite Amn inheriting some of the southern Faerun distrust for magic, it made bank out of it up until about 100 years before the game. Then one of the Amnish schools of magic hosed up and sent demons rampaging over the countryside, at which point the Amnish king outlawed all arcane magic as seditious. (Not necessarily coincidentally, the king who did this was overthrown shortly afterwards and was the last of the Amnish monarchy.)

As for Spellhold, there are some minor differences between tabletop and the game, probably thanks to development times and the changes in the Cowlies which have already been touched upon. Still, the backstory of what BG calls Spellhold is that the island stands at a strategic point which makes it contested by the Nelanther pirates, and the navies of both Amn and Tethyr. For a long time, they all conspired to avoid any of the others managing to secure the place. Someone unknown, somehow, built the heavily fortified keep there in such a short period of time that no one could stop them and then just abandoned it, upon which a gang of slavers promptly took it over. The local pirates, when they caught wind of a competitor, generously relayed this news to the Amnish navy, along with shocking tales about how they were definitely preying on wealthy Amnish nobles. The Amnians stormed in, took over the place, and certain pirates mysteriously acquired some very nice ships. In exchange for not getting locked up in the island prison there, and getting to use the harbour, the pirates haven't bothered to contest the mainland's ownership. The Council used it to house slavers and political enemies for a while, until at some point it was turned into the "Reformatory for the Magically Afflicted" - which still means the Council's political enemies, just of a specific type.

Kavak posted:

I would never have pegged Amn for Spain, minus the colonialism. I think they got confused with Calmishan's Arabian theme- Athkatla being Cordoba I can buy, though.
My take is this:

Sleep of Bronze posted:

The Amnish natives, making up the vast majority of BG2's NPCs, are technically from fantasy Iberia, but it's a fantasy Iberia which never had a Reconquista, Amn having just quietly split away into independence when the foreign empire ruling it collapsed. The Calishites and Tethyrans have ended up being the primary ethnic group in Amn too: turbans, scimitars, and all those trappings are thus still very much in fashion.

Woolie Wool posted:

Vikar Jerome posted:

if you talk to firebeard 50 times at the candlekeep inn he'll give you 300 gold just like that.

That sounds a bit too "1998 urban legend" for me to believe, but...

Bizarrely almost true. From straight BG1:

IF
NumTimesTalkedTo(30)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetNumTimesTalkedTo(31)
GiveGoldForce(300)
END

His Beregost .cre file even has 300 gold less than his Candlekeep one.

Kavak posted:

*This accidentally restored all the spells I'd cast- I think doing anything in EEKeeper with a save causes that, so the party has only had to sleep once since the start of the game. I imagine everyone is wired on Maztican coffee.
That's a legacy from the original Keepers: by default, it mimics the effect of a rest on your party when you save changes. SK certainly has an option to turn it off, but I don't know about EEK.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 27, 2016

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The SCS Sarevok fight is still highly cheesable:

Sarevok does not appear to have a wander AI so you can lead him to the north corner of the room and then turn invisible and he will stand there with his thumb up his butt. Even better, it appears that the way his acolytes are scripted means they will gravitate towards Sarevok - though I think Angelo might be an exception. Once you've got them bunched up you can take them out one by one. I made a badly edited video a while ago showing how to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNfzlZiSZu0

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Noooope, ToB just cannot sustain my interest another time through. What a trashy expansion pack.

It'd have been wonderful to see Throne of Bhaal become a full-blown Baldur's Gate III, but I have the feeling it would've fallen into some of the same pitfalls as Mass Effect 3- the culmination of your epic, personal journey still needs to consider if the player is new to the series and be written accordingly, bringing the whole thing down. They could've given each of the Five their own chapter, or made them the Seven or something.

quote:

As for Spellhold, there are some minor differences between tabletop and the game, (SNIP)

Interesting, I didn't know Spellhold wasn't invented by Bioware. That explains where the giant dungeon really came from. Where was it detailed?

quote:

Amn = Iberia stuff

Yeah the guards literally wearing morion helmets and breastplates makes the Spain thing a little more obvious. I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't get it before it was spelled out to me.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mortimer posted:

But it doesn't tell you the threshold

Check the BG2 manual, I don't have the BG1 manual to hand to see if it's in there

Mortimer posted:

-Reading the combat log for 99% of the game is "x hits for 4 damage" I guess I have to comb through that to find out if my character is hosed, haha

Turn on hit rolls too, they're important.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish
Yeah, this game is from an era where things came with a physical manual that included information not provided in-game.

I'm pretty sure both the cost of rising reputation and at least some basic info about falling rangers and paladins is in there.

It's still AD&D and thus often obtuse and odd. I remember starting an archer game in BG1 and then having to restart because in order to use the composite long bow you can buy in any store you need to be an olympic strongman.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Page 10: https://cdn.baldursgate.com/files/baldurs-gate-mastering-melee-magic.pdf

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Mordaedil posted:

It's not weird at all considering how talktables work pre-NWN2. Most of the mods developed for Baldur's Gate assume a strict hierarchy of references and add their own to said talktable when producing their content and that's why it'll produce those weird message errors when the information is no longer in the same sequence as expected.

Until SoD compatible patches for these mods are released, there is literally no helping it.

The mods will work just fine if you just use this first:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use/p1

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Kavak posted:

Interesting, I didn't know Spellhold wasn't invented by Bioware. That explains where the giant dungeon really came from. Where was it detailed?
There was a Volo's Guide which came out in 2000 as a sort of BG2 companion, except that its content had clearly been locked down before BG2 was anywhere near done, in order for it to be printed and sent out on time. I don't know if it was originally conceived as actually part of the BG2 marketing campaign or if it was just an expansion on the rest of the Volo's Guide series, especially the Guide to the Sword Coast, which got roped into the game's PR push because of the timing. Spellhold's concept turns up both in game and book, but I don't know if there's any way to tell who came up with it first and who then used it.

At any rate, it retained the tabletop Cowled Wizards in their revolutionary cells, called Brynnlaw 'Grimgates', and described the exact opposite end of Tethyr from where ToB actually takes place, amongst other elements which clearly signal it as separate from the game's version of the Realms.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
So, I have another SoD question. Is it possible to use console commands to gather party members that turn up in later chapters before you leave for the march North? I'm impatient and I spent a lot of time and gear making my party absurdly strong.

Edit: Good lord, in BG1 Dorn is a loving one man wrecking crew. It's fantastic.

Rahzmataz fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 27, 2016

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Are the "waylaid by enemy" locations in SoD random or set? Part of the reason I restarted my game was because I really liked the fire sling I found at the first one.

I probably should try and go through Durlags at least once though. There's a sling +3 there.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 27, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They didn't seem random to me. It seems that where you travel from and to matters. Like Dead man's pass to the Coalition camp will have a set encounter that is random if you get it ,but you'll have a different encounter from like Dead man's pass to Underground river.

There's also the troll cave encounter which has a hidden extra level in it for races that have infravision..

Actually there's a lot of infravision able to find stuff.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone had any success getting Wild Mage Additions to work on the gog version of bgee+sod or bg2ee? No matter what I do, the text strings are all screwed up. It hasn't been updated in forever, so I guess it might just not with ee period, but I don't know how any of this poo poo works, so I figured I'd ask

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah I was so happy about that infravision check. Finally.

I hope the game is filled to the brim with stuff like that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
As a I have been doing Rashaad's quest with Viconia in the group I looked up a bit more about Shar.

I must say she looks way different then I though she would.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
For Shar! Indeed. :mrgw:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
lovely artwork aside, something else often forgotten is that Shar is one of the two primordial deities of the Realms. She's been there from the very beginning, and was the very personification of darkness and entropy originally.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

is there a Shar romance mod

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
No, but there is a Cyric one.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So has anyone else got this thing where Neera's been turned into an endlessly rotating ball of flesh that can't be interacted with in Siege of Dragonspear?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah I was so happy about that infravision check. Finally.

I hope the game is filled to the brim with stuff like that.

I've only found two. The troll cave and the hidden torch that lights up a chest.

I don't know if there are more.

I' ll be happy when they add more SoD to BG2.

BG2 is really good so far.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

jng2058 posted:

So has anyone else got this thing where Neera's been turned into an endlessly rotating ball of flesh that can't be interacted with in Siege of Dragonspear?

Ummmm

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

This:

:shrug:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jng2058 posted:

:stare:

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Did they ever explain why the sprites are so blurry all of a sudden?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Wizard Styles posted:

In my games, Sarevok's last stand always enters the history books as the event that decimated the Gnoll, Ogre and Hobgoblin populations of the Sword Coast, as untold numbers of their kind were teleported away from their families by Charname's party's Wands of Monster Summoning just to slow him down a little while the party took care of his acolytes (and then their skeletons).

My problem is the huge amounts of confusion and other crowd control spells managing to just screw everything up. As soon as one of your back line wizards gets nailed then it's just game over for me. Eventually I get frustrated and then cheese it.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Kavak posted:

If any of Baldur's Gate's dukes die it's game over. They kind of deserve it for trusting someone wearing that armor, which I think is implied to literally be based off Bhaal's own appearance.

If both dukes die it's over. One can die and you'll still be fine. It will almost assuredly be the mage since she isn't scripted to do any spellcasting, so she'll just happily stab away with her little dagger completely unbuffed while surrounded by hasted greater doppelgangers.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Did she get chunked in the main campaign? If so she will remain chunked until you fix her in EEKeeper by setting her avatar back.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Washout posted:

My problem is the huge amounts of confusion and other crowd control spells managing to just screw everything up. As soon as one of your back line wizards gets nailed then it's just game over for me. Eventually I get frustrated and then cheese it.
I usually end up with my party scattered across the temple, its big enough to allow you to spread everyone out and make sure that not everyone can be hit by problematic spells. So I generally spread out and then send one guy forward. Having someone with crazy low saves like Kagain or Yeslick helps there, too.
And yeah, Semaj has to die quickly, followed by Angelo. And Angelo needs to be contained before that. Softening them up with Cloudkill has always worked for me, Semaj doesn't have a lot of HP. Diarmid and Tazok aren't that problematic in comparison imo, once it's down to them and Sarevok it's mostly about controlling Sarevok's rampage by sending waves of summons in against him in my experience.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

Did she get chunked in the main campaign? If so she will remain chunked until you fix her in EEKeeper by setting her avatar back.

Yup, that's the problem. Thanks.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Maybe not the right place, but does anyone have the link to the NWN2/Obsidian thread? I want to play NWN2 again but I remembered there are a ton of almost essential mods to fix problems with the game and a bunch of ease of use mods that drastically improve the UI.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Just purchased IWD2 for the first time, is there anything I should know before I jump in?

I basically know two things:
* Unique class powers in 3e scale to the class's core stat
* I am going to die a lot

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 28, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Woolie Wool posted:

Just purchased IWD2 for the first time, is there anything I should know before I jump in?

Do you know 3rd edition D&D? The ruleset is significantly different from the other infinity engine games, which are 2nd-ed based. Going over all the details would take this post over the character limit, so here's a (very) short rundown on things to know ahead of time.

- Multiclassing is more flexible and balanced. In 3rd edition, each time you level up, you choose what class you want to put your level into. You can be a level 15 fighter, a level 10 fighter + level 5 bard, a level 5 fighter, level 5 wizard, and level 5 bard, ore you can be a level 1 paladin/rogue/monk/fighter/wizard/sorcerer/cleric/druid. If you want to. And you probably don't.

Each class you invest levels in after your first one imposes a penalty on your gained xp UNLESS you keep the two classes at equivalent levels, OR if one of your classes is a "favored" class. Each race has a different favored class. Halflings favor rogue for instance, so if you're playing a hobbit, you can be a level 2 rogue and level 10 fighter with no xp penalty. Likewise you can be a level 10 rogue and a level 2 fighter. You WILL get the penalty if you're a level 2 fighter and a level 10 bard though. Make sense? Humans consider the first class they pick to be their favored class, no matter what it is, so they can multiclass pretty freely.

- There's a lot more races to choose from. Some of these races, like Drow or Aasimar, have special perks that make them objectively stronger than the normal races. They pay for this by taking an xp penalty. This means those overpowered races tend to be weaker than the normal races in the endgame, because they won't be as high level.

- The game is very stingy with spell scrolls. Don't have more than one wizard in your party (wizards are the new name for mages). If you want more arcane magic (and you should, arcane is awesome!) take a sorcerer.

- Saving throws are now based on three stats. Fortitude saves resist things like poison and death magic, and get a bonus from high constitution. Reflex saves reduce damage from AoE magic, and get a bonus from high dexterity. Will saves resist brain-affecting magic, and get a bonus from Wisdom. You won't be able to make every character buff in all these stats, but think twice about giving any character very low stat in any of these areas. Wisdom is not a dump stat anymore!

- While paladins benefit from good charisma, don't have a paladin be your party diplomat. The self-sacrificing buggers will automatically refuse monetary compensation from most quests. Use a sorcerer instead, charisma is their prime stat anyway.

- Backstabs are different. Rogues now get a skill called Sneak Attack, which is similar, but not identical, to the old backstab. Sneak Attacks add a flat damage bonus instead of a multiplier (the bonus improves with level), and you can sneak attack by either attacking unaware targets just like the old backstabs, OR by attacking someone that another ally is fighting. Rogues are squishy, but if you can get them meleeing the same target as your fighter/paladin/barbarian/summoned monster, the rogue will put out massive damage.

- Bards are actually really good now. They get an array of songs to choose from, and some of them are pretty ridiculous.

- Clerics of Lathander rule. Lathander got super hardcore since Baldur's Gate, and taught all his clerics how to cast giant nuclear fireballs everywhere. Bring a Lathander cleric, give them Spell focus: Evocation and Spirit of Flame, and watch them compete with your arcane casters to see who can carbonize the most enemies.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It appears the available attribute points are much more restricted than in BG or IWD1. Is it really necessary for a fighter to put 18 in STR, a wizard to put 18 in INT, or a priest to put 18 in WIS like in 2e games?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
At full power (Thac0 was between 1 and 2 during the fight) slingbarb was able to get Drizzt down to 25% before the Gnolls were dead. After that I had to kite him around.

Is it possible to beat him melee only?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Nope. He has 5 attacks per round (or was it 10?) and a THAC0 of 0. Anything in his way is chop suey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Suspicious posted:

Nope. He has 5 attacks per round (or was it 10?) and a THAC0 of 0. Anything in his way is chop suey.

And he doesn't stick around to help you with Sarevok or later Irenicus even though he could shred them like tissue paper because...?