Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Nihilarian posted:

I just found the Carthus Sword and I'm thinking about using it, but I don't have 15 Strength. People were saying that the scaling still got borked if you two-handed a weapon you can't wield in one hand, did that turn out to be true?

The stats window for the weapon will display as if you don't have the stats but you can wield it normally two-handed with no penalty just like the other games. It's a pain in the rear end to not be able to see what kind of attack you have going on with the weapon but it's not a huge deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Fister Roboto posted:

No. You can only buff weapons that do pure physical damage.

Plain Lothric Knight Greatswords do lightning damage and can be buffed. There are probably other examples, but I need coffee to think of them.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Patches finally showed up for me. He was just sittin' there in his vendor spot (which is so far out of the way I only found it by dumb luck), and then he apologized to me for something he didn't actually do. Then I sent him after Greyrat.
How long does it take for him to show back up at firelink so I can buy the freakin' Catarina set?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hamburger Test posted:

Plain Lothric Knight Greatswords do lightning damage and can be buffed. There are probably other examples, but I need coffee to think of them.
I finally got the Dragonslayer Axe on my first character and it can be elementally buffed despite dealing lightning damage

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Is it possible to get the Pursuers grenades the skeletons in the catacombs throw? They seem fun.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Blaziken386 posted:

Patches finally showed up for me. He was just sittin' there in his vendor spot (which is so far out of the way I only found it by dumb luck), and then he apologized to me for something he didn't actually do. Then I sent him after Greyrat.
How long does it take for him to show back up at firelink so I can buy the freakin' Catarina set?

i think greirat leaves and only comes back after you beat a boss

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Section Z posted:

I had the link saved, thanks whoever it was that originally posted this.

Thank you.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
it would be cool to be able to download the patch that the servers are telling me to download

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Anyone else on pc getting told to update, but the game won't update, so you are stuck in offline mode?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Atreiden posted:

Anyone else on pc getting told to update, but the game won't update, so you are stuck in offline mode?

Presumably everyone.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
They're doing maintenance, folks. You won't get your patch for... about 45 minutes. (It's two-hour maintenance, started 1h15m ago.)

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
My download went after putting the game into high priority update mode and then ran a verify on it.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Thumbtacks posted:

Anyone have tips for Dancer at SL1? I keep getting close but dying at like 30%.

Attack the Dancer with your weapon until it dies. When the Dancer attacks, make sure to roll out of harms way!

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

CJacobs posted:

I find the actual glitch taking place to be fascinating and I have no idea why it happens. Basically the game eliminates the sword master's health bar and instead gives him a copy of the dancer's, so when the dancer takes damage, he does. But his actual max health value doesn't change, so the damage he takes from hitting the dancer is proportional to his amount of health compared to hers. It's really interesting to me.

The Faraam guy black crystals out if you go into the dancer fight with him in tow iirc and there aren't any other NPCs in the area.
The reason the sword master takes damage is because his phantom version is using chaos blade or something like that.

turtlecrunch posted:

I kept quitting out and resummoning the two NPCs in Smouldering Lake after they died because damnit we were getting through this together, and eventually ended up with both of them invincible, except to an invader that showed up.
I used invulnerable Tsorig phantom to farm BKGA, and to kill his normal version.

The bug manifests no matter where they die, you don't have to take sword master into the dancer fight to die - just let him die to the knights outside, quit, continue, summon and enter.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I find it pretty amusing that I've beaten Champion Gundyr before I set foot in the Undead Settlement, I see no reason to keep Emma alive on NG+ cycles, I want to have Lothric Castle open from the very start.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm in the end of the game and maxed two weapons (Dark sword and Black knight GS) and have been experimenting on a lot of weapons. Lots of bigger weapons look great and have fun skills but they're just so slow and feel like they do way less damage than they should (even after the buff patch) compared to smaller, faster weapons. I really would like to wave a big sword around that would break enemies' shield stances or what have you, but so far it just feels like there's no point, since the hit windows are sometimes really short and you can barely get hits in with a bigger weapon.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I think the very fair and balanced dark sword spoiled you a little.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Every time I die to the last boss it's because of that loving grab snatching me from six feet.

Stop making grab attacks, FROM.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Eraflure posted:

I think the very fair and balanced dark sword spoiled you a little.

It's possible. My most used weapon has probably still been the Black knight sword. It's got good damage and it's relatively fast for a GS. The bigger weapons feel really lackluster compared to it. (or is it simply a matter of BK GS being too good too?)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Azazell0 posted:

I'm in the end of the game and maxed two weapons (Dark sword and Black knight GS) and have been experimenting on a lot of weapons. Lots of bigger weapons look great and have fun skills but they're just so slow and feel like they do way less damage than they should (even after the buff patch) compared to smaller, faster weapons. I really would like to wave a big sword around that would break enemies' shield stances or what have you, but so far it just feels like there's no point, since the hit windows are sometimes really short and you can barely get hits in with a bigger weapon.

There are a few non Ultra Greatswords that use the Stance instead of the stomp. Mace Cathedral knights are suddenly chumps once you remember your +1 Claymore or Flamberge can just line up a free riposte and charged R2 to finish the job. Ultra great sword speeds also drive me nuts desipite how cool they are. But normal greatswords are much more easy to get a grip on (and your stamina). The timing on stance arts is also much more forgiving, and will not use any FP until you actually attack.

Plus it's very satisfying finishing normal skeletons in two plain R1 swings, where the first one explodes their torso right off their body. This lead to me fighting the million skeletons in a certain area before realizing I could just ignore them entirely :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 28, 2016

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Sl1 run is going nicely. Time for some fashion.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES0x2g8IC_0

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 28, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's canon

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 28, 2016

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Unhinged jaw Kaathe is perfect

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Brannock posted:

Someone a few pages back said that the enemy progression in Demon Ruins was backwards -- you start fighting against the lethal Ghru and the flamebirthers and finish up fighting against the rats.

I think the actual intended path through Smouldering Lake is running up to the worm, realizing that the combination of the worm and the ballistae made it so that it's pretty much undoable, then exploring the rest of the lake. Eventually you'd stumble across the broken floor, drop through, and start Demon Ruins from there. Fight your way up through it, find the second bonfire, then start the boss from there.

But since the ballistae is so lethal it turns people off exploring I think many people just try to run past the worm and do the boss from there before doing anything else in that zone. It's what I did!

Yeah pretty sure you're right, especially since it puts the antechamber bonfire before the ruins one and they're usually more or less in 'intended' order. I also did it backwards the first time since I just never walked over the spot where the ballista opens the floor. There are advantages to doing it backwards though, the ghru in particular are pretty nasty the 'normal' way, but straightforward from the demon ruins bonfire.

How do you backwards clear the cathedral? I've done it the regular way a couple of time and can't think of where I'd get in to start a backwards clear.

hampig fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 28, 2016

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

for magicheads here's a stupid trick you can do in ng+ or i guess with regular homing soulmass that lets you use a spell that isn't great heavy magic missile:
if you ram the enemy with the soulmasses point blank before they fire off you get double damage because for some insane reason the hitboxes don't get removed so you hit the enemy with 2 pairs of soulmasses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY281WE0p1w

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Azazell0 posted:

It's possible. My most used weapon has probably still been the Black knight sword. It's got good damage and it's relatively fast for a GS. The bigger weapons feel really lackluster compared to it. (or is it simply a matter of BK GS being too good too?)

Try the BK axe, if you don't love that one I don't know what to tell you.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I'm assuming that bosses have a bleed bar the same as us, and the reason I'm not destroying them with the lucky bleeder build is that I'm not attacking quickly enough with the uchi, correct? In that case should I keep it one handed in that case and up endurance? Or find a quicker weapon with a bleed effect?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

School Nickname posted:

I'm assuming that bosses have a bleed bar the same as us, and the reason I'm not destroying them with the lucky bleeder build is that I'm not attacking quickly enough with the uchi, correct? In that case should I keep it one handed in that case and up endurance? Or find a quicker weapon with a bleed effect?

1hand attacks will often be faster, or at least somewhat more stamina efficient. Since 2handing does nothing in particular for the bleed build up, it doesn't make sense to bother.

So, yes. Also Carthus Rouge. Also Luck.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Alright, I figure I might as well ask by this point, goons, would one of you have mercy on a guy and be willing to throw a flamberge and medicant staff at me? I've tried farming the both of them for hours, item find stuff equipped even and I got fuckin nothing in regards to either. All I want is a big cool curvy sword and staff, but the drop rates are agonizing right now.

I'm on PC I should mention as well, if anyone would wanna be a pal. :shobon:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Alright, I figure I might as well ask by this point, goons, would one of you have mercy on a guy and be willing to throw a flamberge and medicant staff at me? I've tried farming the both of them for hours, item find stuff equipped even and I got fuckin nothing in regards to either. All I want is a big cool curvy sword and staff, but the drop rates are agonizing right now.

I'm on PC I should mention as well, if anyone would wanna be a pal. :shobon:

I have a Flamberge you can have on one of my characters. Gimme a minute to figure out which. Add me on Steam and we'll figure out a password - etc

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

CJacobs posted:

I find the actual glitch taking place to be fascinating and I have no idea why it happens. Basically the game eliminates the sword master's health bar and instead gives him a copy of the dancer's, so when the dancer takes damage, he does. But his actual max health value doesn't change, so the damage he takes from hitting the dancer is proportional to his amount of health compared to hers. It's really interesting to me.

i thought it just eliminated his hitboxes because he doesn't even register anything hitting him, and that he always caused damage to himself as if wielding a chaos blade despite just dropping an uchi

either explanation is just weird as heck and i'm fond of his hard work ethic

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Luceid posted:

i thought it just eliminated his hitboxes because he doesn't even register anything hitting him, and that he always caused damage to himself as if wielding a chaos blade despite just dropping an uchi

either explanation is just weird as heck and i'm fond of his hard work ethic
consider this:
there's a chaos blade where he's located at the untended graves

also you can summon him for that bossfight

what does it mean? idk
but it seems like the efficiency adjustment for magic was actually 'do nothing' so ??????

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Was farming souls with Symbol of Avarice and wanted a break so I just warped back to the shrine and forgot to take it off before I afked. I am p dumb.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Whats all the items that increase itemfind? Gold Serpent ring, rusted coins, what else?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

You can put a mimic on your head against all good judgement for 100 item find, and the crystal sage rapier also gives 100 item find I think.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Do you need to have the rapier as your active weapon or just equipped?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

Do you need to have the rapier as your active weapon or just equipped?

it has to be active, but it doesn't need to literally be in your hands. You can have it in your off-hand and 2hand your primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Kiggles posted:

it has to be active, but it doesn't need to literally be in your hands. You can have it in your off-hand and 2hand your primary.

Ty. Time to FARM