Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I used words poorly and meant more around 4-ish.

(I also glazed over the Murphy sex dream section but I don't think anyone can blame me for that!)

ive never read any sex scene in every dresden book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It takes me a couple of days to read Dresden books, I like to take my time and sometimes lose track thinking about stuff while reading

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Just accidentally found out that Harmony Black 2 is out tomorrow

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

That and Pax Arcana 4. Trying to decide which to crack open first.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

What.

That's awesome.

Mars4523 posted:

That and Pax Arcana 4. Trying to decide which to crack open first.

Aaahhhhhhhhhh. My free time just died.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Also Joe Abercrombie's short story collection Sharp Ends.

And Steven Erikson's Fall of Light.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Khizan posted:

And Steven Erikson's Fall of Light.
Hell yes.

That man is a machine. Looking forward to this as well.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Just finished The Girl with Ghost Eyes and I was pleasantly surprised by it. Definitely a strong start to a (potential) series

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Beefeater1980 posted:

Girl with the ghost eyes was good.

I've been making my way through the felix castor stories. They're well-written by the standards of the genre, but good grief he's a miserable bugger. He's got some weird compulsion to be a complete dick to everyone around him, even when being pleasant would cost absolutely nothing and someone has gone massively out of their way for him.

I loved the Felix Castor books! But be warned, the last book ends in a cliffhangar and the author apparently has stopped writing the series.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I dunno, I'm kinda fifty-fifty on Felix Castor. I get that its trying to do the hardboiled noir detective with magic thing, but the universe doesn't work for me. I mean, sure, Felix is an rear end in a top hat who can't shut up and makes things worse with his big mouth, but so does Harry Dresden, and I give Dresden a pass for it too. Fine, main character's an rear end, I get it. What bugs me is that the whole rest of the universe is all assholes too. Harry's prickishness is counterbalanced by some genuinely good people in his life showing that while Harry may be a miserable misanthrope, that's not the only option. But in Felix's world its pretty much nothing but assholes. Cops? They're all thugs who beat potential suspects without a shred of due process. Priests? Sanctimonious pricks or religious zealots. Exorcists? Miserable assholes taking advantage of the dead for their own profit to a one. The people trying to protect the rights of the dead? Fanatic murderers. There are like two genuinely decent people in the first two books and they both get hosed over and abandon Felix.

Its just too bleak and dreary and not fun to read, despite being well written with some interesting ideas.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Agreed. Daniel Faust worked much better as an alternative to Dresden than Castor.

I liked the one with the guys that ran a reincarnation ring through a mortuary, that was from Castor, right?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

jng2058 posted:

I dunno, I'm kinda fifty-fifty on Felix Castor. I get that its trying to do the hardboiled noir detective with magic thing, but the universe doesn't work for me. I mean, sure, Felix is an rear end in a top hat who can't shut up and makes things worse with his big mouth, but so does Harry Dresden, and I give Dresden a pass for it too. Fine, main character's an rear end, I get it. What bugs me is that the whole rest of the universe is all assholes too. Harry's prickishness is counterbalanced by some genuinely good people in his life showing that while Harry may be a miserable misanthrope, that's not the only option. But in Felix's world its pretty much nothing but assholes. Cops? They're all thugs who beat potential suspects without a shred of due process. Priests? Sanctimonious pricks or religious zealots. Exorcists? Miserable assholes taking advantage of the dead for their own profit to a one. The people trying to protect the rights of the dead? Fanatic murderers. There are like two genuinely decent people in the first two books and they both get hosed over and abandon Felix.

Its just too bleak and dreary and not fun to read, despite being well written with some interesting ideas.

I like the bleak dreariness :shobon: its kind of like the medium's equivalent of the gritty bleak british indie films/tv series.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Different strikes for different people, I guess. I tried reading Daniel Faust and gave up with the first book still unfinished, but I read through all Castor-novels in one go, thirsting for more.

And I don't think Castor and the people around him are assholes, they just act more like genuine real humans instead of the often cartoony characters in other series. Daniel Faust had me rolling my eyes practically every page, for example.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

jng2058 posted:

the real world is pretty much nothing but assholes. Cops? They're all thugs who beat potential suspects without a shred of due process. Priests? Sanctimonious pricks or religious zealots. Exorcists? Miserable assholes taking advantage of the dead for their own profit to a one. The people trying to protect the rights of the dead? Fanatic murderers.

Sounds accurate to me!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

I liked the one with the guys that ran a reincarnation ring through a mortuary, that was from Castor, right?
Yeah, Dead Man's Shoes. My main problem with that series is that it's not very inventive; this is by far the most original plot it has.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Libluini posted:

Different strikes for different people, I guess. I tried reading Daniel Faust and gave up with the first book still unfinished, but I read through all Castor-novels in one go, thirsting for more.

And I don't think Castor and the people around him are assholes, they just act more like genuine real humans instead of the often cartoony characters in other series. Daniel Faust had me rolling my eyes practically every page, for example.

Up Circle posted:

Sounds accurate to me!

Right, goons. I forgot for a second. Never mind. :cripes:

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Up Circle posted:

Sounds accurate to me!
I know that this is probably in jest but, seriously, gently caress this mentality.

Anyways, I'm enjoying Pax Arcana #4. Compared to the previous three books the scale of the conflict is massive.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 26, 2016

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

anilEhilated posted:

Hell yes.
That man is a machine. Looking forward to this as well.

Spoiler: "Craig Schaefer" is just a pen name for Brandon Sanderson, under which he writes books the Mormons wouldn't approve of. (For reals, has anyone seen them in the same place at the same time?)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mars4523 posted:

Anyways, I'm enjoying Pax Arcana #4. Compared to the previous three books the scale of the conflict is massive.

Pax Arcana is probably my new favorite UF series at the moment. Well-written. Great chapter names. Main character is considerably more self-aware than Dresden/Verus/Faust. Love interest is actually interesting. Great supporting cast. No real notable weak areas.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Does it get better after book 1 because that book hit my ick factor. Can't remember quite why though

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

tithin posted:

Does it get better after book 1 because that book hit my ick factor. Can't remember quite why though
I'm not sure why book 1 would hit your ick factor. There's no real Male Gaze, no explicitly described sexual content, and while the bad guys do bad things the author doesn't take pains to lovingly describe people getting rape, mutilated, or murdered.

I guess you could say that the protagonist's love interest is a hot blonde nearly half his age, but they both have exceptionally long lifespans and she's (ballpark) in her 30s, so it's not exactly Peter F Hamilton.

One thing that book 2 does do is dial back on the "we've known each other for a week in a stressful situation now we love each other"-ness of John and Sig's relationship in a big way, so if that bothered you then rest assured.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

tithin posted:

There's quite a bit of describing hot women. There's also the terrible writing. And every supernatural just explains who and what they are as part of their conversations. It's the kind of thing first books do, but it's really badly done.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

torgeaux posted:

There's quite a bit of describing hot women. There's also the terrible writing. And every supernatural just explains who and what they are as part of their conversations. It's the kind of thing first books do, but it's really badly done.
Wait, what? Maybe it's because my standard for "Egregious Male Gaze" is Harry Dresden but I didn't see anything like this.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Is there urban fiction without a love interest at all?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The Rook.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Is there urban fiction without a love interest at all?

Twenty Palaces

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Megazver posted:

Twenty Palaces

First book had one. So did the prequel.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

First book had one. So did the prequel.

Did it? Oh right, he hosed someone for information, right? Meh.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I couldn't get into Twenty Palaces. Not because it's so dark or whatever (I liked Eric Carter well enough, and the tone is similar), but I found it exceedingly difficult to give a poo poo about the main character.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mars4523 posted:

Wait, what? Maybe it's because my standard for "Egregious Male Gaze" is Harry Dresden but I didn't see anything like this.

Really? Is there ever a time he's talking about Sig he doesn't mention her body? Her rear end, her curves? Buxom?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

torgeaux posted:

Really? Is there ever a time he's talking about Sig he doesn't mention her body? Her rear end, her curves? Buxom?
Eh, yes. The first person narration establishes that Sig is attractive in the first chapter, and then doesn't talk about her in terms of her body parts for the rest of the first book. And even then, John thinking about how attractive his future love interest is doesn't go through half of the same detail that you'd see in a lot of other urban fantasy. Going through my ebook, the random barfly that hooks up with Ted is more sexualized than Sig is.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 28, 2016

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mars4523 posted:

Eh, yes. The first person narration establishes that Sig is attractive in the first chapter, and then doesn't talk about her in terms of her body parts for the rest of the first book. And even then, John thinking about how attractive his future love interest is doesn't go through half of the same detail that you'd see in a lot of other urban fantasy. Going through my ebook, the random barfly that hooks up with Ted is more sexualized than Sig is.

That's good. I stopped reading when it hit my pet peeve of having the characters just tell everyone everything, so didn't get but about half way. Does he get better about that after this first book?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

torgeaux posted:

That's good. I stopped reading when it hit my pet peeve of having the characters just tell everyone everything, so didn't get but about half way. Does he get better about that after this first book?
I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about, so... maybe?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
In Shining Armor was pretty drat good. Book 1 was the roughest of the bunch but enjoyable, and from then on each book has been better than the last.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

In Shining Armor was pretty drat good. Book 1 was the roughest of the bunch but enjoyable, and from then on each book has been better than the last.

I'm still trying to process the avalanche of action. This was a very active novel.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mars4523 posted:

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about, so... maybe?

When characters meet, they "explain" who they are, what they are, how things work. Telling instead of showing, basically.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

navyjack posted:

I'm still trying to process the avalanche of action. This was a very active novel.

No kidding - if he wanted to, he could have practically cut the book into two and stretched out the kidnapping and skinwalker drama and then turned the redcaps, banshee, and half-elf conspiracy into a second book. The skinwalkers were a little too easily ferreted out, though, you'd think they'd be able to turn off the invulnerability thing that gave them away.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 28, 2016

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

torgeaux posted:

When characters meet, they "explain" who they are, what they are, how things work. Telling instead of showing, basically.
Ah, well, I thought that the character introductions in book 1 was fairly natural-feeling with regards to a new guy to a team meeting the others, so that didn't bother me. Later books do take more time to introduce characters I guess. Charming is the guy's first book, and is as such a little unpolished, even if it was still good.

Wolpertinger posted:

No kidding - if he wanted to, he could have practically cut the book into two and stretched out the kidnapping and skinwalker drama and then turned the redcaps, banshee, and half-elf conspiracy into a second book. The skinwalkers were a little too easily ferreted out, though, you'd think they'd be able to turn off the invulnerability thing that gave them away.
Yeah, I get what you're saying, although I think I enjoyed the manhunt and investigation more than I would've enjoyed a book full of "Where's Constance!". Also, as to the skinwalkers, they're basically a layer of magicked skin over what is essentially a normal human being, so if they took any damage it would either be to the skin suit, which would need to be replaced, or the person beneath, who doesn't have a healing factor.

Also, the preview for book 5 was great. It's good to know that there will be a book 5 but it's going to suck waiting for it to come out.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 28, 2016

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Whens the next dresden book geez

its been like 2 years chop chop hurry it up butcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Ramadu posted:

Whens the next dresden book geez

its been like 2 years chop chop hurry it up butcher

According to the website he's not even all the way through writing the next book. Still we might get it sometime this year if he gets back into the same pace he was at while writing Dresden/Alera novels at 1 each per year.