Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

FirstAidKite posted:

This is what I'd want to do, but I don't know how well it'd work out since there is already a breath meter in the game and idk how well it'd work to have to juggle ripple breathing and actual "need this to not suffocate" breathing

I wonder, not knowing the game at all, could you expand the breath meter a lot for ripple warriors including their breath regen and then have spells cast from breath?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

"part 5 sucks" - weirdos

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Reading Seafood's thoughts on Doobie Wah made me realize that it's basically Part 8's version of Sheer Heart Attack except that it's waaaay more one-sided and way less fun to read as a result.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Valentine did some bad stuff, but you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. He was a good man and a fine leader. RIP

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I dunno about you guys but I would totally vote for Valentine again and again. He's a leader with vision, also has nice hair.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Reading Seafood's thoughts on Doobie Wah made me realize that it's basically Part 8's version of Sheer Heart Attack except that it's waaaay more one-sided and way less fun to read as a result.

Sheer Heart Attack is stupidly good.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Another pet peeve of mine is

people who are all
"hahahaha jojo is SO GAY look at HOW GAY it is those outfits are GAY not like me! I google TITS and VAGINAS cos i'm NOT GAY"

Conversely, people (dudes who have mainly watched parts 1-3) who go "jojo is saving anime because it's so MASCULINE and MANLY and full of extremely muscular straight men doing incredibly hetero things, no homo"

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
If I had a pet peeve, it's that Annasui sucks. And Soft and Wet's powers are a little nebulous for my taste.

I've never agreed with the people who say to skip Part 1. While I think the middle section is a little weaker, the opening of the story and the climax on the boat are some insanely good poo poo. Thinking on it, I feel pretty much the same about part 3.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

If I had a pet peeve, it's that Annasui sucks. And Soft and Wet's powers are a little nebulous for my taste.

I've never agreed with the people who say to skip Part 1. While I think the middle section is a little weaker, the opening of the story and the climax on the boat are some insanely good poo poo. Thinking on it, I feel pretty much the same about part 3.

Typical Rohan talking poo poo about a PERFECT Josuke stand!!!
S&W is perfect and S&W with bonus Killer Queen is 2x perfect!!!!!! !

I do get what you're saying though, though I think it's a necessary plot requirement.

I also sort of feel that Josefumi in chapter 53 fights and defeats the A.Phex Twins with knowledge that Josuke and by extension, the reader has. Like, he'd only really know to stuff the togger with bubbles from the outset if already knew it had poison inside it, something Josuke figured out from experience during the fight. I mean, the fight is great so whatever, but it feels a bit like that a bit.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

someone wrote up a great post nearer to the part 3 anime finale about why Jotaro and DIO are actually really similar in how they solve problems and why it makes sense for them to have similar stands

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Exercu posted:

I wonder, not knowing the game at all, could you expand the breath meter a lot for ripple warriors including their breath regen and then have spells cast from breath?

The main issue with that is that there are several items and other things in the game that draw from the breath meter, such as if you accidentally get buried in a wall or stuck underwater, or find an item that gives you infinite breathing, or take a prodigy that gives you infinite air, etc etc so on and so forth

I think the best course of action would be to make a separate hamon breath thing that would recharge and then you could have additional skills that affect the breath meter by making it last longer maybe or something, idk

If you enjoy roguelikes at all, I recommend checking out Tales of Maj'Eyal. It's on sale at the moment for $3.42, but the dev has a free version available on their site where you can play the entire game and unlock everything except for the special donation/purchase stuff (aka some dlc and classes and races, and missing out on some features like not being able to select custom tiles for your character)

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

My pet peeve with the series is mostly how weirdly attached to liking/hating characters. People on the forms do it as a joke, but I know somewhere on the deepest holes of tumblr there are some people desperately defending their head cannon where avdol survives and has gay babies with polnareff or whatever.

And yeah skipping parts. Now that the anime is out there is like zero reason to skip part one

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I forgot my pet peeve; people who insist that the original names are the only names by which a character/stand/power can be referred to by. I'm sorry I got into JoJo after more than Part 3 was legally available in the US but I learned the first Pillar Man as Santviento and it's hard to shake habits like that. Also general name change bitching in general is high up on my pet peeve list.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rohan Kishibe posted:

If I had a pet peeve, it's that Annasui sucks.

Actually I think you'll find Annasui is super fun and cool precisely because he sucks so much.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
My pet peeve is people who are really upset that Araki doesn't draw everyone as a hulking slab of manmeat anymore.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Cerebral Bore posted:

My pet peeve is people who are really upset that Araki doesn't draw everyone as a hulking slab of manmeat anymore.

I mean... it is weird to see him drawing Joseph and Jonathan in his new style.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 28, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Calling it JoJo's is one of mine too. Not only does it sound dumb, there ain't no 's in JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken.

If you call it it JoJo's I would not save you from Pucci.

Onmi posted:

Also, this.
It's not that the new art sucks, it's that it's unfitting for the new characters, especially Jonathan, so there are few images of them where they look on model or even remotely like themselves.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 28, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Calling it JoJo's is one of mine too. Not only does it sound dumb, there ain't no 's in JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken.

The bizarre adventure that belongs to Jojo.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Actually I think you'll find Annasui is super fun and cool precisely because he sucks so much.

Him and Joshuu.

Also, the Doobie Wah fight is pretty fun, as we get to see Yashuo do stuff and the punchline at the end is probably the biggest laugh Jojo got out of me.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

I forgot my pet peeve; people who insist that the original names are the only names by which a character/stand/power can be referred to by. I'm sorry I got into JoJo after more than Part 3 was legally available in the US but I learned the first Pillar Man as Santviento and it's hard to shake habits like that. Also general name change bitching in general is high up on my pet peeve list.

That seems pretty reasonable to me. I have a friend watching who hasn't read the manga, so whenever I saw "Hey what did you think of Bad Company" he'll respond "Oh is that what its name was originally?"

Also I still lean towards e.g. Wang Chung and Straights.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

What is everybody's pet peeve about the series

Gatekeeping.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

Also, this.
It's not that the new art sucks, it's that it's unfitting for the new characters, especially Jonathan, so there are few images of them where they look on model or even remotely like themselves.

That's a bit different though. I'm talking about people who complain about Araki's artstyle shift period.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Pomp posted:

"part 5 sucks" - weirdos

I got a friend who absolutely hates part 5. I assume it's mostly translation related since most of the hate centers on Giorno, but he also hates the Stands in that part because he thinks they're too overpowered.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Roach Warehouse posted:

That seems pretty reasonable to me. I have a friend watching who hasn't read the manga, so whenever I saw "Hey what did you think of Bad Company" he'll respond "Oh is that what its name was originally?"

Also I still lean towards e.g. Wang Chung and Straights.

What about Zenyatta and Mondatta? You can very clearly hear them say "Oingo" and "Boingo," especially in the credits song, and it's written in plain english on the cover of the comic book.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah, I like to tell people the original names, so they're not confused by online chatter and the logic behind a the name changes often makes for interesting trivia, but I don't freak out like some people do. Relatedly, I also hate that some people don't understand how risky it would be for an official translation to include all the original names. Even if they were in the right, and Bad Company or Crazy Diamond are legally defensible, they'd still have to shell out large legal fees to fight it, and it's not guaranteed they'd win. It's just not sensible for a company to take that risk in America.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

RaspberryCommie posted:

I got a friend who absolutely hates part 5. I assume it's mostly translation related since most of the hate centers on Giorno, but he also hates the Stands in that part because he thinks they're too overpowered.

i mean, i could see that for the weird requiem poo poo, but has your friend read part 6?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Or part 4 for that matter.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po8u36vtd0U

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I also sort of feel that Josefumi in chapter 53 fights and defeats the A.Phex Twins with knowledge that Josuke and by extension, the reader has. Like, he'd only really know to stuff the togger with bubbles from the outset if already knew it had poison inside it, something Josuke figured out from experience during the fight. I mean, the fight is great so whatever, but it feels a bit like that a bit.

He stuffed it with bubbles so it'd float away when they tried to kick it at him, he didn't need to know what was inside it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

:vince:

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

RaspberryCommie posted:

The idea that something can be "overpowered" in a non-interactive medium is kinda dumb, especially in a series based on seemingly weak abilities being goddamned terrifying.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

TWIST FIST posted:

He stuffed it with bubbles so it'd float away when they tried to kick it at him, he didn't need to know what was inside it.

Exactly my takeaway, yeah. That and just put them off guard immediately.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Lynx Winters posted:

The idea that something can be "overpowered" in a non-interactive medium is kinda dumb, especially in a series based on seemingly weak abilities being goddamned terrifying.

Eh, maybe "overpowered" isn't the best way to put it, but it's reasonable enough to have a distaste for protagonists who win just because they've just got this absurd ability that can't really be surmounted. It's one thing if the bad guy has that going for them, because then there's a lot of drama in our heroes finally pinning them down, but when the guy you're rooting for is such a wrecking ball, it's much harder for people to get invested.

It's no mystery that turns a lot of people off of Jotaro in Part 3. Whenever he's the only one who's left and he can't punch the problem away, he pulls some random new power completely out of his rear end and wins or just hulks up and punches the problem anyway. Now, personally, it doesn't bother me much, but I wouldn't find him very interesting if it weren't for Parts 4 and 6 that shed some more light on his character and also make him more vulnerable.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's no mystery that turns a lot of people off of Jotaro in Part 3. Whenever he's the only one who's left and he can't punch the problem away, he pulls some random new power completely out of his rear end and wins or just hulks up and punches the problem anyway. Now, personally, it doesn't bother me much, but I wouldn't find him very interesting if it weren't for Parts 4 and 6 that shed some more light on his character and also make him more vulnerable.

This is pretty unfair, because both of those things you describe happen like twice. In the majority of his fights, Jotaro actually has to use the environment to his advantage in order to win.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Cerebral Bore posted:

This is pretty unfair, because both of those things you describe happen like twice. In the majority of his fights, Jotaro actually has to use the environment to his advantage in order to win.

Jotaro beat Dark Blue Moon through Star Finger at a total disadvantage to the environment, and then beat Strength the exact same way at an equal disadvantage. He has Star Platinum like, eat Justice, and when he gets ate by High Priestess he just punches his way out. I'm not saying Jotaro doesn't ever come up with a clever way to punch his way to success, either, but he's really only got one game plan and everything else is getting to the execution.

One of the reasons why D'arby the Gambler is so GOOD is because he's stuck on his own, against a person who he cannot punch to win. So he relies on his character and some sleight of hand with Star Platinum to win on the craziest bluff in all of poker.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Jotaro beats Kakyoin with punching, beats Dark Blue Moon and Strength with Star Finger, Yellow Temperance he has to use the water, beats Wheel of Fortune just with punching, beats justice with his never used before or again super breathing, beats The Sun by throwing a rock (though that was a dumb joke fight the whole time), beats High Priestess by punching really hard, N'doul is neat because he throws Iggy and all that, beats Anubis by punching the sword (and then Iggy kicks it into the river), beats Alessi with punching (but as a kid!), beats old D'arby by just being so cool that he bluffs him out (yeah I know, blah blah blah, D'Arby thought Jotaro could also stop time), didn't actually beat young D'arby, and then beat Dio by pulling time stop out of his rear end.

That makes 7 non-joke (so not counting Alessi and The Sun) fights where Jotaro wins by punch or rear end-pull, and then 5 at most (I'm being generous and putting Dio and old D'arby in here) where he wins by being smart and using the environment/his opponent's hubris against them.

I still like part 3, because the other Crusaders get some really cool fights and the end is really good, but I will never not think that Jotaro is boring and dumb.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I largely don't agree with Jotaro's Boring And Just Punches To Win, but I see where that idea comes for sure. However, Jotaro's entire thing with Strength is playing off the orangutan's sense of pride to anger it into actually attacking him rather than it just letting the ship crush him to death, flicking a button into it's skull and punching the poo poo out of an animal that had surrendered. Strength is def one of the weakest fights in Part 3, but there's still more going on under the hood.

I really don't have any super pet peeves in the series really, other than poo poo like Yasuho Getting Sexually Assaulted being used as a plot device, not even just once iirc Multiple Older Men Loving A 14 Year Old, and Yukako Only Existing To Love A Main Character. With fandom stuff, it's mostly people taking one look at the Part 4 anime and saying This Isn't JoJo Anymore is super frustrating along with the unstoppable fire people have for Joseph Joestar as the greatest JoJo and that Araki set out to ruin his character in later years.

Joseph Joestar is a mid tier JoJo and JoJo gets so much better than Part 2 later on it's unreal

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 28, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's going to be fun explaining that Haruno Shiobana is pronounced in Japanese in a similar way to Giorno Giovanna in Italian to explain GioGio to the anime thread every week.

... Araki pulled some primo bullshit out to get his italian Joestar.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
My jojo pet peeve is people not recognizing that Jolyne is the Coolest, Cutest and Best Jojo btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

It's going to be fun explaining that Haruno Shiobana is pronounced in Japanese in a similar way to Giorno Giovanna in Italian to explain GioGio to the anime thread every week.

... Araki pulled some primo bullshit out to get his italian Joestar.

I think you can get away with just saying that in Italian, "Gio" is more or less pronounced like "Jo" and calling it a day.