Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
My pet peeve is that Speedwagon never got another fight after Jonathan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Who did shoot Johnny, again?

I think the answer was "yes"

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Hopeford posted:

Finished part 5. I actually really liked that! It took me a stupid long time to understand Diavolo's Stand(I think the scans didn't super help) but I really liked part 5. It hasn't yet fully hit me that Polnareff is forever going to be a turtle, which is loving hilarious. This was probably the most flat out bizarre part so far, and it had plenty of really cool and funny moments. Was a huge fna of Giorno's 7 page beatdown of that one dude and his super serious expression as he declared his plan to "STEAL ALL THE CARS."

Polnareff isn't the turtle. He's just a ghost who is inside of Coco Jambo, the turtle's pocket dimension hotel room stand. Presumably if he left the room he'd just "die" and go wherever dead souls go.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Speaking of, today my mother continued watching Phantom Blood and made a bunch of jokes about how gay Speedwagon is for Jonathan every time he came on screen. It was good.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

hoobajoo posted:

Mine is people saying you should skip Phantom Blood. PB is a great time, it's short, well-paced, is a lot of fun, the core four characters are all great, and it lays a ton of groundwork for the series. I also think Jonathan is much more interesting than people tend to give him credit for, and has more depth than the typical paladin-esque idyllic hero. I understand it's not one of the best parts, and even I tell people when they start that JoJo gets better as it goes, but the beginning is still quite good and it's so important to appreciating what comes after.

Yeah, it's the same as people who think there are filler chapters you should skip. And it really helps you appreciate Stardust Crusaders if you know ho Dio is ahead of time.

Plus, it's the perfect to figure out if a person is going to enjoy JoJo as a whole or not. One of the very first pages is a gruesome carriage accident featuring a guy getting a wooden stake driven right through his head. If you can't stand gore like that, then JoJo is not For You.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

hoobajoo posted:

Thanks, those are some good points, and Johnny does a good job of selling the "Jonathan's stand" view as interesting and thematically appropriate. Honestly, I like trying to think these things out as just idle entertainment for myself, not out of some burning need to fill in every potential plot hole. I agree if someone can't let it go and just enjoy the series, they're being silly.
Lest I come across like the pot calling the kettle black, I love to overthink Jojo, but not out of a need to "Rationalize" my enjoyment of it or "Explain" away its plot hiccups.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
People who say Part 3 is bad and then turn around and say Part 4 is the best are my pet peeve

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

What is everybody's pet peeve about the series

I've posted before about my pet peeve of people treating the ireneverse as meaning jolyne and co's deaths don't count because they just came back, and others have pet peeves in regards to stuff like "what if dio's stand actually is all jojo stands" and "josuke should have saved himself by getting caught in a time loop" and I know at least one person whose pet peeve is more or less that giorno is always right in part 5 and that there aren't many times where he's flat out wrong about something.

The only other pet peeve I can think of is that while I enjoy the art, there are several times where I'll have to reread to figure out what is going on. Especially when you're already dealing with something confusing, like the chapters about who shot johnny joestar, so it becomes kind of hard to figure out which part of the picture I'm supposed to be confused about.
"It's okay to skip Part 1."

"Part 3/4 is just filler."

"Hamon > stands."

"Valentine did nothing wrong."

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think it's silly to jump through a bunch of hoops to explain something when the answer is likely "araki hadn't worked out how ___ would work yet"

Even tho I know it's silly, I still think that diavolo can use king crimson on other people, because sometimes it is fun to jump through hoops to figure out how araki is gonna explain that poo poo later if at all

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

"It's okay to skip Part 1."

"Part 3/4 is just filler."

"Hamon > stands."

Is there anyone that actually thinks Valentine did nothing wrong?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Why?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just like the idea of a stand that can completely gently caress with your perception by showing you images of the future

Like a version of Thoth except you don't necessarily realize you're under its effects yet

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Saying that you like Part 6 because it's ending pisses people off is also another peeve of mine. Not even because it pissed me off, but as a general rule enjoying something because others don't is a really obnoxious thing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

There are a lot of people in the world

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kuujou Joutarou

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I do think the theory about The World copying all the Joestar Stands does explain one thing that's never really explained in the manga: Why are Star Platinum and The World so similar? Jotaro and Dio don't have particularly similar personalities, and if Jonathan's body has its own Stand, that quashes the idea that it's due to Jotaro being Jonathan's great-great-grandson.

The best alternative explanations I can come up with are 1) as Dio assimilated Jonathan's body, Jotaro "became" Dio's great-great-grandson, causing Star Platinum to become more like The World and thus develop time stop, or 2) people with strong wills/high "gravity" tend towards time-manipulating Stands.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 28, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

More seriously, I've always felt like some of the stands in Part 6 got way too cosmic. Bohemian Rhapsody, Heavy Weather, Stairway to Heaven; I think stands just in general are more interesting when they're less obviously powerful, or when their users needs to find unorthodox ways to make them useful. One of the (many) reasons Part 7 is my favorite is because of how comparatively subdued most of the stands were after Part 6 had a guy who could literally make all fiction everywhere in the world become real all at the same time.

Tangentially, a lot of "Automatic" stand fights tend to be a bit hit-and-miss for me, since often times the user just lets it do its own thing while they're off somewhere else. Part 8's Doobie Wah was an intensely uninteresting fight to me because of this.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I know ending theme discussion pisses some people off and I'm sorry about that

I liked the smash mouth thing as a quick joke but imo it got run into the ground pretty quickly, I'm glad people seem to have gotten it out of their system tho for the time being

One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone tries to justify why they don't like jojo or why they like jojo and they try dancing around it being anime. Like, I enjoy jojo, but jojo is totally anime, and if you don't like jojo, that's fine, you're allowed to not like things, but trying to come up with some justification for it is kinda silly especially if your reason is "I don't like jojo's bizarre adventure because it is just really weird, I prefer shows with sexy vampires"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I do think the theory about The World copying all the Joestar Stands does explain one thing that's never really explained in the manga: Why are Star Platinum and The World so similar? Jotaro and Dio don't have particularly similar personalities, and if Jonathan's body has its own Stand, that quashes the idea that it's due to Jotaro being Jonathan's great-grandson.

The best alternative explanations I can come up with are 1) as Dio assimilated Jonathan's body, Jotaro "became" Dio's great-grandson, causing Star Platinum to become more like The World and thus develop time stop, or 2) people with strong wills/high "gravity" tend towards time-manipulating Stands.
Some people just have similar stands.

See Strength and Wheel of Fortune, or Yellow Temperance and Khnum, or Cream and the Hand.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That said, Jotaro and Dio have similar stands because it's climactic and thematically appropriate.

The will of the story takes precedence over the nature of reality. What matters isn't how they managed to wind up with similar stands, just that they have similar stands.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Part 8's Doobie Wah was an intensely uninteresting fight to me because of this.

I really enjoyed this fight, funnily enough, because the user just seems really confident in its ability and the fight was more or less just yasuho and tsurugi trying to desperately avoid triggering his stand up until tsurugi used his stand in an utterly brilliant way without doobie wah even realizing he was under attack.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I don't feel there's any need to explain why Jotaro and Dio have similar stands. It's not something that needed a reason in 91 for anyone who read it, it doesn't need one now.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wanna know how araki came up with the design for crazy diamond

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Another pet peeve of mine is

people who are all
"hahahaha jojo is SO GAY look at HOW GAY it is those outfits are GAY not like me! I google TITS and VAGINAS cos i'm NOT GAY"

FirstAidKite posted:

I wanna know how araki came up with the design for crazy diamond

He was inspired to make the best Stand.

That or he probably really liked drawing The World and thought "Maybe I can make a protagonist version of this?"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Another pet peeve of mine is

people who are all
"hahahaha jojo is SO GAY look at HOW GAY it is those outfits are GAY not like me! I google TITS and VAGINAS cos i'm NOT GAY"

Uh yeah that was me reading monthly shonen jump when I was 12, what of it?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I can't believe Baal was a mod before his voice dropped.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've always been powerful

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i'm going to marry crazy diamond one day

everyone except baal may come to the wedding

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
*me reading JoJo Part 3 first chapter in Shonen Jump 2005*
"Hahaha, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? This looks dumb and that name is GAY!"
*goes back to reading Naruto*

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
In Tales of Maj'Eyal they have some sun-themed classes

but I want to believe that maybe one day, I will learn to code well enough in LUA to be able to make a hamon class in ToME, because that is what the Celestial class set is missing. Sun Kung Fu.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you could have it manage a 'breath' stat

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Make it so you can only use it in the first two chapters and that they're inferior to all stand class users but the people who chose hamon have to keep mentioning that they're totally better and should make a comeback.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

you could have it manage a 'breath' stat

This is what I'd want to do, but I don't know how well it'd work out since there is already a breath meter in the game and idk how well it'd work to have to juggle ripple breathing and actual "need this to not suffocate" breathing

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'd want it at least split up into 4 classes of skills tho, with 1 set of skills devoted to physical hits, one devoted to support skills/healing skills, one devoted to fluid-related stuff, and one devoted to weapon skills

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

argh, die!!!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

oh, by the way, my series pet peeve is when people say that the jojo of a part isn't the main character and that another character is. it's perfectly fine if someone says that they're both main protags, and that's definitely true for parts 5 and 7 without a doubt, but just kinda throwing the jojo aside because they're not as flashy as the other character rubs me the wrong way because the part in question wouldn't be the way it is without them. especially since my reread of vento aureo is really showing how much actual personality is chopped out by the lovely translation.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Bad Seafood posted:

Valentine Did One Major Thing Wrong

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

FirstAidKite posted:

I know at least one person whose pet peeve is more or less that giorno is always right in part 5 and that there aren't many times where he's flat out wrong about something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3OMjs4Y7a8

Johnny Joestar is a piece of poo poo if he truly disliked this masterpiece.