Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

No. You can only buff weapons that do pure physical damage.

That isn't strictly true, but there are only a very small amount of exceptions so it's true for all intents and purposes.

You can't buff:
  • Boss weapons (Titanite Scale weapons).
  • Twinkling Titanite weapons.
  • Weapons infused with Crystal, Lightning, Blessed, Simple, Chaos, Dark, Deep, or Fire.
And I think that's it.

That said, there, are weapons that have innate elemental damage that can still be buffed. One of them is the Dragonslayer's Axe. At +10, it does 180 physical and 180 lightning damage, and the lightning damage is flat--it doesn't scale, and it doesn't change if you infuse the weapon with anything except Lightning. But, as you might have guessed, you can infuse it, and you can buff it. Make it Raw with a 60 Faith build and buff it with Lightning Blade while wearing a Lightning Clutch Ring: you'll have close to 700 AR, and even though it's split, most of that would be lightning damage. It's pretty beautiful. If you go full glass cannon and go like 40 Strength/60 Faith, you can make it Heavy and do even more damage. (Whatever you do, don't infuse it with Lightning. It only adds 15 lightning damage and, while it scales, it only gets B scaling with Faith, and you lose the ability to buff it because it now has a Lightning infusion.)

The Drakeblood Greatsword is another one, though less impressive because it's split multiple ways.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well then yeah you broke the poo poo out of the traditional sequence.

The game is designed so that you will first realistically be able to obtain 20,000 souls and hold on to them around the Cathedral of the Deep if not a little later. Getting the key that early basically means the game hasn't set the "Stage" for Patches yet.

You have about ten hours of gameplay to go before you will unlock Patches, and you already bugged out the Cathedral event so don't bother trying to get it

Should I care about the cathedral event?

I'm currently trying to fight the giant rotted cursed tree at level ~33. Have I irrevocably hosed my game? Should I try farming in some areas until I catch up to the level I should be for the area I'm in?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

lite_sleepr posted:

Should I care about the cathedral event?

I'm currently trying to fight the giant rotted cursed tree at level ~33. Have I irrevocably hosed my game? Should I try farming in some areas until I catch up to the level I should be for the area I'm in?

no you're actually pretty high level for that boss I think, keep on truckin'

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

TheQat posted:

no you're actually pretty high level for that boss I think, keep on truckin'

Haha welp I just suck really badly. +2 longsword ain't that great imho.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Fereydun posted:

consider this:
there's a chaos blade where he's located at the untended graves

also you can summon him for that bossfight

what does it mean? idk
but it seems like the efficiency adjustment for magic was actually 'do nothing' so ??????

As far as I can tell we haven't gotten "Regulation" version 1.06 yet which is also set to go live today and includes the balance changes. The update this morning was for "App" version 1.04 and is mostly bug fixes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Luceid posted:

i thought it just eliminated his hitboxes because he doesn't even register anything hitting him, and that he always caused damage to himself as if wielding a chaos blade despite just dropping an uchi

Yeah, pretty much. When you do the glitch on other NPCs they just take zero damage from everything (except maybe falling off a ledge).

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Ugh. It's kind of disheartening to see the DS bullshit difficulty bleed through in places when the rest of the game is so full of great ambushes and traps. The whole of Lothric must've watched Wanted on loop, because everyone can bend their arrows, bolts, and even their fireballs through drat near ninety degrees sometimes.

School Nickname posted:

I'm assuming that bosses have a bleed bar the same as us, and the reason I'm not destroying them with the lucky bleeder build is that I'm not attacking quickly enough with the uchi, correct? In that case should I keep it one handed in that case and up endurance? Or find a quicker weapon with a bleed effect?
Bosses, assuming they can be bled at all will have insane resistance to it. You'll probably be better off just aiming for straight up damaging instead of applying any status effects.

I miss the poison spells from DS2. :(

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin

Hamburger Test posted:

As far as I can tell we haven't gotten "Regulation" version 1.06 yet which is also set to go live today and includes the balance changes. The update this morning was for "App" version 1.04 and is mostly bug fixes.

It's pretty funny that they posted about this 1.06 update 24 hours ago and it still hasn't arrived. It's confusing the hell out of people on the Steam forums :v:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Harrow posted:

That isn't strictly true, but there are only a very small amount of exceptions so it's true for all intents and purposes.

You can't buff:
  • Boss weapons (Titanite Scale weapons).
  • Twinkling Titanite weapons.
  • Weapons infused with Crystal, Lightning, Blessed, Simple, Chaos, Dark, Deep, or Fire.
And I think that's it.

That said, there, are weapons that have innate elemental damage that can still be buffed. One of them is the Dragonslayer's Axe. At +10, it does 180 physical and 180 lightning damage, and the lightning damage is flat--it doesn't scale, and it doesn't change if you infuse the weapon with anything except Lightning. But, as you might have guessed, you can infuse it, and you can buff it. Make it Raw with a 60 Faith build and buff it with Lightning Blade while wearing a Lightning Clutch Ring: you'll have close to 700 AR, and even though it's split, most of that would be lightning damage. It's pretty beautiful. If you go full glass cannon and go like 40 Strength/60 Faith, you can make it Heavy and do even more damage. (Whatever you do, don't infuse it with Lightning. It only adds 15 lightning damage and, while it scales, it only gets B scaling with Faith, and you lose the ability to buff it because it now has a Lightning infusion.)

The Drakeblood Greatsword is another one, though less impressive because it's split multiple ways.

The drakeblood greatsword is pretty beastly. It's split 3 ways, but the lightning damage is still quite high (140 something?) Raw with lightning blade at 60 faith it hits almost 800 AR. If you go full glass cannon and wear both clutch rings, it goes over 800. And the moveset is incredible, at least for PvE. It's versatile, has Stance as its skill and you have almost perfect hyperarmor in the two-handed R1s and can poise through just about anything. The low stamina consumption, high damage, and decent speed mean you can kill anything but a boss in one combo, and because you don't stagger, but stagger enemies quickly, you can just trade hits with even really nasty bastards like the giant snakemen and you'll win.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Eraflure posted:

Try the BK axe, if you don't love that one I don't know what to tell you.

I love the BK axe. I want to use other War Cry weapons (War Cry has stolen my heart and become my favorite skill) that use less stamina per swing but it's really hard to give up being able to hit 700+ AR. Also, the BKGA has a pretty varied move set: its one handed R1s have a wide, fast sweep, the one handed r2 launches fools, and its war cry R2 has a nice gap closer, hyper armor, and hits twice. Its only outright bad move in my opinion is the rolling R1, which has pathetic range and mediocre damage.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I've been enjoying my relatively-easy pyro run and decided to Friends of Aldrich it up for awhile and let me tell you scamps something...

pyromancy is butts for PVP. I'm a solidy C- PVPer but even the newbiest newb knows to dodge my slow fire spells. I can only nail someone when they are otherwise engaged in a fight or sometimes with a lucky combustion.

So, instead I put chaos on the drang hammers... :getin:

edit: I still suck though. My lack of ability is not at all helped by every host being able to slash me 6 times through my drang swings. :smith:

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 28, 2016

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Why is it that bumping my Raw broadsword from a +3 to a +4 only increases damage by 14 points? Doesn't seem like much for 2 large titanite shards.

Also: Am I doing it wrong if I'm level 48 and about to fight the abyss watchers? Am I doing it wrong if I"m using the broadsword at all? I have some neat new weapons but the stats don't seem to work out very well when I try using them. My highest stat relevant to weapon scaling right now is dex (20) if that matters.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

You're pretty over levelled.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Why is it that bumping my Raw broadsword from a +3 to a +4 only increases damage by 14 points? Doesn't seem like much for 2 large titanite shards.

Also: Am I doing it wrong if I'm level 48 and about to fight the abyss watchers? Am I doing it wrong if I"m using the broadsword at all? I have some neat new weapons but the stats don't seem to work out very well when I try using them. My highest stat relevant to weapon scaling right now is dex (20) if that matters.

Broadsword is fine but I preffered longsword for the pokes it has.
If my dex build is any indication then dex is a pretty hard thing to pull off in PVE. Dex is usually the PVP build for souls games. STR get slow weapons but also get great shields to cheese some of the harder fights. Sorcery gets to kite most fights with magic. Faith actually gets screwed over near the end with a bunch of lightning resistant bosses. Though dark faith spells might fix this, didnt try myself. Dex gets lighter and faster weapons and thats about it i guess. Enjoy dodging and parrying.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Upgrades are pretty linear, and give you roughly the same bonus from one level to the next.

You are overleveled for Abyss Watched, but not by much, and I figure a lot of people are up there at that point. Don't let it bother you unless you just aren't seeing any signs around bonfires - especially those near boss fogs. Game is still new so there will be people of all sorts, including those who invest more souls into levels, or just those who are extra thorough with clearing things before progressing.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Do Dancer's Enchanted Swords ever become worth it? I got them early through the swordmaster glitch and they're almost unusable. They're slow, have short reach and deal low damage.The one thing they have going for them seems to be that they hit in almost 360 degree arcs. They're incredibly flashy and fashionable, so I want them to work out for my dex/int pyro build, but so far they're extremely painful and I just want to go over to the dark side and switch back to my raw Astora. Now I really regret cheating myself out of a cool boss fight.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Judge Tesla posted:

I find it pretty amusing that I've beaten Champion Gundyr before I set foot in the Undead Settlement, I see no reason to keep Emma alive on NG+ cycles, I want to have Lothric Castle open from the very start.

It's too bad the Gothard twinswords don't show up though. I'm definitely going to go kill her early and screw around.

I said it a bit last night but goddamn the Uchi just shits on players early on. Phantoms just can't deal with it.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Anybody having any luck with the new regulation (1.06) that was supposed to make Darkmoon / Blue Sentinel work better?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

limited posted:

Bosses, assuming they can be bled at all will have insane resistance to it. You'll probably be better off just aiming for straight up damaging instead of applying any status effects.

I miss the poison spells from DS2. :(

Actually, many bosses are crushingly terribly weak to bleed and it trivializes them completely! Pick a decently fast bleed weapon(Carthus Curved Sword, Insert Katana Of Choice Here, Warden Twinblades are all good examples), apply Carthus Rouge(this part is vitally important because it buffs bleed gain immensely), hit the boss a bunch, laugh your loving rear end off as you literally skip entire boss phases because the boss is busy shrieking and spraying blood everywhere like a victim in a slasher movie.

Oceiros and the Twin Princes in particular fall apart almost instantly to this.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

argondamn posted:

Anybody having any luck with the new regulation (1.06) that was supposed to make Darkmoon / Blue Sentinel work better?

It didn't do poo poo.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
More people need to start using the Black Blade. The argument that it's a crappier Washing Pole are folly - it ends up with more base damage, its attacks use slightly less stamina and FP (1 extra 1hand attack at 30 End), it has automatic quality scaling, it's faster, and it has a better moveset by far. It's like a way more badassy Uchi.

The one handed R2 is goddamn amazing because it's super quick and you also do a little hop forward which can surprise the poo poo out of people and catch them off guard. The two handed R2 has loving hilarious auto tracking on it so if someone is foolish enough to try to roll sideways you can slam their loving face into the ground, and yes, it counts as a slam attack if you charge it enough and their poise isn't high enough.

Oh yeah, and it causes bleeding and doesn't even need to be infused because its damage is bonkers. And you can buff it. And using Hidden Weapon with the 1H R2 literally causes people to have seizures and flee in terror because they can't figure out what the gently caress.

Think it may be my new favorite PvP weapon. :allears:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Kanos posted:

Actually, many bosses are crushingly terribly weak to bleed and it trivializes them completely! Pick a decently fast bleed weapon(Carthus Curved Sword, Insert Katana Of Choice Here, Warden Twinblades are all good examples), apply Carthus Rouge(this part is vitally important because it buffs bleed gain immensely), hit the boss a bunch, laugh your loving rear end off as you literally skip entire boss phases because the boss is busy shrieking and spraying blood everywhere like a victim in a slasher movie.

Oceiros and the Twin Princes in particular fall apart almost instantly to this.

and pontiff, judging from the speedrun segment i saw

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

lite_sleepr posted:

Haha welp I just suck really badly. +2 longsword ain't that great imho.

Don't fret at sucking at dark souls. Everybody dies.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

The drakeblood greatsword is pretty beastly. It's split 3 ways, but the lightning damage is still quite high (140 something?) Raw with lightning blade at 60 faith it hits almost 800 AR. If you go full glass cannon and wear both clutch rings, it goes over 800. And the moveset is incredible, at least for PvE. It's versatile, has Stance as its skill and you have almost perfect hyperarmor in the two-handed R1s and can poise through just about anything. The low stamina consumption, high damage, and decent speed mean you can kill anything but a boss in one combo, and because you don't stagger, but stagger enemies quickly, you can just trade hits with even really nasty bastards like the giant snakemen and you'll win.

I had no idea it was that good! I'm going to have to try it out. Seems like it would work just as well with Darkmoon Blade, too, because it has just as much magic damage as lightning damage.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

TheQat posted:

Crystal Sage vs Carthus Rouged Warden Twinblades is a hilarious massacre too

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TheQat posted:

Parrying kills Pontiff a lot faster than bleed stacking but bleed stacking owns the poo poo out of him without having to fiddle with getting him to use parryable attacks in phase 2, so bleed is probably a lot more consistent.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

argondamn posted:

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It didn't do poo poo.
Do you actually have 1.06 yet?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

il serpente cosmico posted:

This was my experience, as well. Spacing is huge in these games, and learning the right spacing for different bosses is key to beat them. Backing way off will trigger his charge, which gives people some trouble.

A bit back, but I actually found backing off and baiting the charge attack greatly helped me beat the Abyss watchers and the consumed king my first time, there was time to get off one or two swipes as they recovered then play defensive until the next charge, same with the crocodile beasts if I could dodge being eaten.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Playing a mage is absolute torture.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

I had no idea it was that good! I'm going to have to try it out. Seems like it would work just as well with Darkmoon Blade, too, because it has just as much magic damage as lightning damage.

I'm regretting ignoring it after how mediocre it was in DS2 now.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Genocyber posted:

It's very good for PVE. One of the best spears 1handed since it has those sweeping r2s, 2handed it's a halberd which are good plus the poke r2s let you use it in tight spaces, and very few enemies can actually dodge the Skill.

Heck yes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm getting the feeling it's probably less exciting if you try to scale its physical damage with Str/Dex. It's probably best for a very heavy Faith build with just enough Str/Dex to wield it, making it Raw, and buffing it, like Heithinn Grasida does. I'm really excited to try it out, though.

My current character is going to be respecced to Dex/Faith eventually, but I think I'm going to make a full-on Dragonslayer build sometime with 60 Faith and the Dragonslayer's Axe/Drakeblood Greatsword and lightning everywhere.

Genocyber posted:

It's very good for PVE. One of the best spears 1handed since it has those sweeping r2s, 2handed it's a halberd which are good plus the poke r2s let you use it in tight spaces, and very few enemies can actually dodge the Skill.

How is its damage? Its scaling and base damage look a bit mediocre, but I'm still planning on building towards it on my current character because I really love everything about how it looks.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Hamburger Test posted:

my title still says reg 1.05 and i haven't noticed any changes so idk what's goin' on

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fereydun posted:

my title still says reg 1.05 and i haven't noticed any changes so idk what's goin' on

Regulation 1.06 is the one with the magic changes. Don't know when it's coming.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I'm not entirely sure yet but I think patch 1.04 finally fixed the auto-save stutter I was getting on PC.

edit: PC version is on App 1.04, Regulation 1.05.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
When do you stop pumping damage stats?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

gently caress anyone in multi-player who is the target of a boss and starts strafing it, so it turns towards the other summons/players. This is like tanking 101, don't face the mob against the rest of the party. How is this so hard, for so many players?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Atreiden posted:

gently caress anyone in multi-player who is the target of a boss and starts strafing it, so it turns towards the other summons/players. This is like tanking 101, don't face the mob against the rest of the party. How is this so hard, for so many players?

Circle-strafing is how you avoid boss attacks though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

When do you stop pumping damage stats?

For weapon scaling: usually 40, though it can be worth it to go to 60 if you're wielding pure Strength or pure Dexterity weapons and have nowhere else to put your points (see this). 40 is good, though. If you're wielding Refined weapons, 40/40 Strength/Dex is where you want to stop, or 27 Strength/40 Dex if you're always going to two-hand.

For magic scaling: 60, or either 30/30 or 40/40 Int/Faith for pyromancy (apparently 40/40 actually is worth it if you can pull it off)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

It got buffed at some point in DS2 as well and was good then too. 140 counter damage and good stats while infused meant you could get 1000 damage counter hits pretty easily on the R2 and drop most enemies in one hit. Of course, there were much more overpowered weapons, the moveset wasn't as good as other greatswords and it sucked when Shulva was released, but it still ended up quite solid.

Hamburger Test posted:

The patch to just drop was 1.05. 1.06 is the balance patch that's supposed to come later today. I have no idea why they're separate.

Reading a little bit about info on the patch on Japanese websites, and it seems that dual-wield swords are all being nerfed. The stamina cost of the L1s is being increased. Daggers are being buffed, apparently fairly significantly. I haven't figured out what they're doing with sorcery (I think it's sorcery, not "magic"). If anyone here has actual Japanese skills instead of my muddling through hiragana and guessing based on the Chinese characters, here's the link http://dark-soku.blog.jp/archives/59103749.html