Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MrYenko posted:

The only thing that the past few pages has taught me is that E-Golf guy has never been in an actually-fast car.

Honestly you should have known that as soon as he said he was from europe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Yup, it's a bizarro world where 2l engines are big.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just like we don't need room sized computers to calculate pi any more, we don't need 6000cc to get 200hp with modern engine technology.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
No, but it sounds a lot better if you've got it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Collateral Damage posted:

Just like we don't need room sized computers to calculate pi any more, we don't need 6000cc to get 200hp with modern engine technology.

200 hp is not considered a lot of power in the us. For the price of a moderately optioned family sedan you can get a pony car with a 400+ hp V8. That's not some special edition, it's the standard model everyone buys.

If it's a SBC the engine is probably about the same size as the 200 hp engine too.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

200 hp is not considered a lot of power in the us. For the price of a moderately optioned family sedan you can get a pony car with a 400+ hp V8. That's not some special edition, it's the standard model everyone buys.
Oh I know. My point was that for a given amount of power you can get away with a much smaller engine nowadays.

My point was that you can take a big thirsty engine from the 80s (1985 Corvette C4 with 5.7L L98 engine: 230hp), and thanks to improved technology you get the same effect out of an much smaller and economical engine today (2015 Golf Mk7 GTI with 2L i4: 227hp).

In the same vein I think we'll see large advances in EV technology over the next 20 years, but it's an unfortunate habit of humans to underestimate the future. :)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Oh I know. My point was that for a given amount of power you can get away with a much smaller engine nowadays.

My point was that you can take a big thirsty engine from the 80s (1985 Corvette C4 with 5.7L L98 engine: 230hp), and thanks to improved technology you get the same effect out of an much smaller and economical engine today (2015 Golf Mk7 GTI with 2L i4: 227hp).

In the same vein I think we'll see large advances in EV technology over the next 20 years, but it's an unfortunate habit of humans to underestimate the future. :)

We'll no doubt see large advances in EV technology, but for the forseeable future, battery advances are going to contribute to range and cost before weight savings.

Motor advances will be directed towards efficiency, energy recovery, and production cost.

I think by the time a lightweight electric miata is realistic, driving your own car, and possibly owning your old car will be seen as "old fashioned". When you pull out your car keys, people will look at you like they look at flip phone users today.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Except a 1985 corvette will still start today but your are lucky any time your golf actually fires. You see VWs are unreliable where the chevy 350 is indestructible or fixable with a 45 cent part if you bend a push rod from being a dum dum. (I am sorry dad but I needed to do a long burn out in your 55 chevy.)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Displacement doesn't directly affect weight, engine size, or fuel economy, though. A modern SBC puts out a loot more power and probably weighs the same as the VW turbo four, while also being more reliable and easier to maintain.

I also doubt well see any major advsnces in ev technology soon because battery development is super slow compared to other tech areas and there's very little that's in the crucial close to production stage of development.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mange Mite posted:

Displacement doesn't directly affect weight, engine size, or fuel economy, though.

It, uh, absolutely does. You need to spend fuel to balance out the air displaced, you need to have interior volume for the air displaced, and containing that volume costs mass.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's not the sole factor, though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It, uh, absolutely does. You need to spend fuel to balance out the air displaced, you need to have interior volume for the air displaced, and containing that volume costs mass.
Uhhh... Small block Chevy.
(You can counter that with Ford modular V8, but the SBC is smaller on the outside and bigger on the inside than just about anything, and only real limitation on power is your checkbook.) You're never going to get Prius mpg out of it, true, but a Prius is never going to get SBC level power. Different design goals for different applications.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Model S showing off a nice snow plowing job at Tindevegen, Norway.

Drone video of the plowing job here: http://www.nrk.no/mr/se-den-spektakulaere-broytevideoen-1.12921983

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That is a lot of snow.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Ola posted:

Model S showing off a nice snow plowing job at Tindevegen, Norway.

Drone video of the plowing job here: http://www.nrk.no/mr/se-den-spektakulaere-broytevideoen-1.12921983

You don't want to meet a car on that road.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
How much does cold weather compromise range in the Model S?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cockmaster posted:

How much does cold weather compromise range in the Model S?

Depends on how you drive and if you pre-heat, and on temperature, but I think Norway-winter cold is between 10-40% range loss (the latter being worst case short trips without pre-heating).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Sounds like Ford wants to step into the ring.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/28/ford-200-mile-electric-vehicle/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
VW and Shell try to block EU push for electric cars

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

You'd figure VW would not put their name on anything that dealt with "emissions" for at least a little while.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I totally drive like an rear end in a top hat most of the time after getting a Leaf, between being quick off the line and it being the first car I've had that I actually enjoy driving. I'm probably just an rear end in a top hat but the electric rear end in a top hat effect is still real.

duz posted:

This is why all EV owners should make it a mission to cut off Prius drivers, really put them in their place.

I have come to hate Prius drivers so, so much. I am calculating how much That rear end in a top hat I'd become putting one of those "nice prius --nobody" decals on my future Model 3.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

KakerMix posted:

You'd figure VW would not put their name on anything that dealt with "emissions" for at least a little while.

I could've sworn I had heard they were banking on EVs to salvage their reputation.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There should be a thing where everyone loudly coughs, squints and waves away smoke from their face whenever they're near a hybrid with the engine running.

edit: the effect is somewhat reduced if you are in an oil-burner at the time

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Cockmaster posted:

I could've sworn I had heard they were banking on EVs to salvage their reputation.

Is it possible to make an unreliable electric car? I guess we will find out. Fisker set the bar pretty high.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Maybe we should be lucky Lucas disappeared before they took an interest in EVs.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Elephanthead posted:

Is it possible to make an unreliable electric car? I guess we will find out. Fisker set the bar pretty high.

Didn't electrical trouble account for a good size portion of VW's reliability issues? EVs generally have more or less the same 12V parts as any other car.

Plus it looks like they're redesigning their e-Golf to join the 200 mile club:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1102333_next-volkswagen-e-golf-to-have-at-least-200-miles-of-range

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
"Sir, your vehicle appears to have wicked up all the coolant from the car next to it."

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I don't get the Prius hate. Maybe because I live in SoCal which is the Prius's #1 market and I'm also in an area where the commute is 30+ miles each way, but I see a absolute ton of Prius vehicles every day and they all drive like normal people. Some drive fast, some slow, but most stick the middle lanes cruising around 65-70mph.

All Nissan Altima/Maxima drivers are idiots though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

FCKGW posted:

I don't get the Prius hate. Maybe because I live in SoCal which is the Prius's #1 market and I'm also in an area where the commute is 30+ miles each way, but I see a absolute ton of Prius vehicles every day and they all drive like normal people. Some drive fast, some slow, but most stick the middle lanes cruising around 65-70mph.

The Prius is a real good car that makes a lot of sense for lots of people. It's reliable, convenient and inexpensive. That, plus the few Prius drivers that have 'NOPEC' license plates plus the easy-to-hate combo of boring Toyota makes it a target of hate. People hate it because it's a threat to ~automotive insanity~ I guess. Not a comment on this forum, just in general the Prius is anti-enthusiast.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Prius drivers in my area are just the antithesis of AI. Generally the slowest, most pain in the rear end drivers around. When they drive normally they are fine, but when they drive like Prius drivers....

Only EVs I care about are Tesla's, because they are the only not-slow EVs around. Be nice if someone else made a good car that happened to be electric like Tesla does.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Godholio posted:

"Sir, your vehicle appears to have wicked up all the coolant from the car next to it."

EV batteries have their own cooling system, a lot of them use coolants somewhere in the loop...

FCKGW posted:

Back when the Prius was a niche vehicle a lot of people got sucked into the gamification stuff they put in to try and maximize mileage that encouraged you to accelerate as slowly as possible. Also a lot of them stared too much at the screen. Even now there's still hypermilers and they are as annoying as you'd think, basically the extreme couponers of driving.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 30, 2016

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive is a technological tour de force that pretty much no other carmaker has been able to catch up with even today. They way the Prius drivetrain uses the gas engine and electric motors together so seamlessly is an extremely impressive piece of engineering and anyone who has an actual interest in the tech behind cars would find it fascinating and awesome. It should be very much "AI", but for some reason "enthusiast" to people on internet car forums must equal rotaries or diesel VW/Audis or some other inefficient, pollution spewing dead end technology.

I guess you just can't get enthusiastic about cars that are designed/engineered by people who actually know what the gently caress they are doing and built by people who give a poo poo? Toyota will jsut have to give up the enthusiast market and just be content with being the biggest carmaker in the world.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Throatwarbler posted:

The Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive is a technological tour de force that pretty much no other carmaker has been able to catch up with even today. They way the Prius drivetrain uses the gas engine and electric motors together so seamlessly is an extremely impressive piece of engineering and anyone who has an actual interest in the tech behind cars would find it fascinating and awesome. It should be very much "AI", but for some reason "enthusiast" to people on internet car forums must equal rotaries or diesel VW/Audis or some other inefficient, pollution spewing dead end technology.

I guess you just can't get enthusiastic about cars that are designed/engineered by people who actually know what the gently caress they are doing and built by people who give a poo poo? Toyota will jsut have to give up the enthusiast market and just be content with being the biggest carmaker in the world.

My dad works for Toyota too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cockmaster posted:

That was certainly the message coming out of their big board meeting a few months ago.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Throatwarbler posted:

The Volt drivetrain makes Toyota's hybrid system look like an L-head Ford Banger with a non-synchro three speed.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Prius drivers are assholes who want green status but won't actually walk the walk by making the necessary lifestyle changes necessary to accommodate a pure EV. Priuses are neoliberalism in car form.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nah, Prius owners are people who want a cheap, reliable car that can cut their weekly fuel costs down, sorry.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Now that they redesigned the Prius to have way less cargo room and also look horribly ugly, there is really no reason to choose it over the Volt or even the new Hyundai hybrid.

Also through clever design they somehow managed to have progressively less space in the cockpit despite making the car larger

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I love how every thread in AI eventually becomes people just road raging about Prius drivers if it exists long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

FCKGW posted:

Nah, Prius owners are people who want a cheap, reliable car that can cut their weekly fuel costs down, sorry.

I just want to point out that forums poster Boten Anna first posted in the BFC forum asking about new cars, was told to buy a Prius, went and bought a New Beetle instead like some kind of elaborate troll, which then to everyone's surprise broke down a lot. I guess that makes her AI in the same way that I am - I probably should buy a Prius but instead my life goal is to own every single type of FWD transaxle that Chrysler makes(So far I've had a 41LE, 62T2 and a ZF 9 speed), but neither of us are in any position to editorialize on other people's car choices.

• Locked thread