Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

TheQat posted:

what's a good option for a standard 87-key with clears and double-shot PBTs? doesn't need to have backlighting. build quality is my only priority really

Audax posted:

I have a dumb question. I have a pok3r that I like, but my fat sweaty man hands have started peeling some of the lettering on the stock keycaps.

I really enjoy the fact that the additional key caps are labeled on the front ninja style. Does anyone know where to buy some replacement ones? I wouldn't mind paying extra to get double shot as well.

I'm a huge fan of the DSA Keycaps on pimpmykeyboards. I replaced the default caps on my pok3r with them. They seem super sturdy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone heard of a CODE w/clears and PBT

That is the keyboard I used for typing on at work. It is fuckin' glorious

I'm typing thisd on blues which is OKKKKKK,,, bgut matres... clears and the thock and the rough but delicate PBT... its the way to heaven

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

echinopsis posted:

I'm typing thisd on blues which is OKKKKKK,,, bgut matres... clears and the thock and the rough but delicate PBT... its the way to heaven

One step closer to reaching ultimate enlightenment by feeling of oneness with cup rubber...

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

echinopsis posted:

Do they work with the backlighting? My CODE's got the original keycaps on still but half of the keys are shiney now and some of them are getting worn to the point that some of the backlighting is showing through where it shouldn't.

I really like the keycaps that came with it but apparently you can't get replacements for them. Can you get a PBTs with a matte finish too?

Basically I really like the backlighting and feel of the CODE keycaps and would like to replace them with something similar but I'm finding the whole world of keycaps very confusing.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chippy posted:

Do they work with the backlighting? My CODE's got the original keycaps on still but half of the keys are shiney now and some of them are getting worn to the point that some of the backlighting is showing through where it shouldn't.

I really like the keycaps that came with it but apparently you can't get replacements for them. Can you get a PBTs with a matte finish too?

Basically I really like the backlighting and feel of the CODE keycaps and would like to replace them with something similar but I'm finding the whole world of keycaps very confusing.

The vortex doubleshot PBT backlit key caps are basically as good as it gets - which is a shame coz the placement of some of the legends is less than ideal, consdiering where the LEDs are on the CODE keyboard.

BUT in saying that, like I said, they are as good as it gets, even if it's not perfect. they FEEEEEEEL amazing, and yeah every letter is lit, it's solid as gently caress

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Cool, and I presume they're the right.. er... profile (?) for a US-layout CODE? The shift/spacebar keys are the right width, and so forth? Or are these things you have to specify when you buy them?

Now I just have to find somewhere I can buy them and get them shipped to the UK, seems like they're not on massdrop currently.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
As far as I know the CODE layout is as standard as gently caress (ie. 1.25u function keys, 6.25u spacebar) so you shouldn't haven't too many problems as far as that goes.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

echinopsis posted:

The vortex doubleshot PBT backlit key caps are basically as good as it gets - which is a shame coz the placement of some of the legends is less than ideal, consdiering where the LEDs are on the CODE keyboard.

BUT in saying that, like I said, they are as good as it gets, even if it's not perfect. they FEEEEEEEL amazing, and yeah every letter is lit, it's solid as gently caress

Haha, thinking vortex wafer thin pbt makes a thock.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Uhh...nobody told me about these:
WASD Backlit Doubleshot PBT 104-Key Cherry MX Keycap Set

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

ColHannibal posted:

How thick do they need to be to appease you? The Vortex PBT keycaps I have are as thick as a nickel which is just shy of 2mm thick.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If you don't know the love of doubleshot ABS thwacking down on the baseplate of a keyboard, fighting against the spring pressure of green switches, making a horrible, satisfying, agricultural racket like the shifter of a Soviet military dump tuck, then I don't know what else to say.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Geirskogul posted:

If you don't know the love of doubleshot ABS thwacking down on the baseplate of a keyboard, fighting against the spring pressure of green switches, making a horrible, satisfying, agricultural racket like the shifter of a Soviet military dump tuck, then I don't know what else to say.

this, but also with buckling springs

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Someone at work asked me what my keyboard was so I googled it to give them a link and this was one of the results:

http://www.autismenabled.com/p-19677-advantage-pro-contoured-usb-keyboard.html?gclid=CP6ppZOyr8wCFQqKaQodtooO7A

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
I'm the computer aids

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Does anyone happen to know how these compare to the Vortex ones? Thickness or whatever?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

chippy posted:

Does anyone happen to know how these compare to the Vortex ones? Thickness or whatever?

I think those are the Vortex ones. They appear the be exactly like mine. I have both the black and white sets and it seems like the legends show up a bit better on the white keys, but the white keys also show dirt more easily. Speaking of, it's about time for my monthly cap cleaning.

Also, nitpick, but they have Home/End & PgUp/PgDn, Prtsc, Pause & ScrLk in the wrong order in those pics.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I was thinking they looked virtually identical, they just seem to be more expensive.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

chippy posted:

Not sure. Could be they ARE vortex caps, rebranded. I ordered them anyway. Will report back when I get them.

Anyway, they are certain to be an upgrade from the crap ABS caps the CODE ships with.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I have an 87 key code with clears. I bottom out a lot, and it's still too loud. I want to gt o-rings to quiet it down, but am not sure what to get -- there seem to be a ton of different types and I'm not sure which I should go for. Given that I'm probably going to bottom them out either way, is there a particular size/hardness I should be getting? Are there any specific sets y'all would recommend that are cheap and would work?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Gah, drat Massdrop. Just bought 3 sets of PBT cap sets. :homebrew:

Tai-Hao Purple PBT doubleshot caps w/ Antimicrobial coating.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tai-hao-purple-pbt-doubleshot-keycap-set?mode=guest_open

I'm hoping they don't feel funky, like some had complained about in previous sets. I'm also curious how it'll stand up to frequent cleanings. I tend to clean my caps at least once a month. I work in healthcare IT and have to touch a LOT of gross KB/Mice, so I tend to be clean with mine.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

TheQat posted:

this, but also with buckling springs

I can agree but desk space is at a premium.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

TWBalls posted:

Gah, drat Massdrop. Just bought 3 sets of PBT cap sets. :homebrew:

Tai-Hao Purple PBT doubleshot caps w/ Antimicrobial coating.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tai-hao-purple-pbt-doubleshot-keycap-set?mode=guest_open

I'm hoping they don't feel funky, like some had complained about in previous sets. I'm also curious how it'll stand up to frequent cleanings. I tend to clean my caps at least once a month. I work in healthcare IT and have to touch a LOT of gross KB/Mice, so I tend to be clean with mine.

Get some alcohol and a roll of paper towels ready and be prepared to catch up on Netflix while you remove that horrible coating.

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 27, 2016

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

ColHannibal posted:

Get some alcohol and a roll of paper towels ready and be prepared to catch up on Netflix while you remove that horrible coating.

they specifically state that this run is to have a thinner coating to get rid of that stickiness on the keys but we'll see how that turns out.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

me IRL

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
Hi keyboard folks, got a neat little find for $40 off a friends aunt the other day it's a Model M but there is a little more too it.

Here it is before I cleaned it up

And here are some close up after shots

Only issue is that I had a missing support bar for the space bar and the spacebar itself had a broken plastic clasp thingy. So, I ordered a replacement one from Unicomp and ordered the RGB Shift/Ctrl/Alt keys ($10 min order. :argh:) . It looks pretty rad with em on there but I forgot my phone at work today so it'd be difficult to get pictures now. (I'll do some tomorrow)

But anywhoo, it turns out it's not a standard Model M (it's missing the sticker on the back so ID'ing it was a bit difficult) It's a #1393464 with keys custom made for Saber Travel Network. drat thing is a flight booking keyboard!

http://clickykeyboards.com/product/1988-ibm-model-m-1393464-made-by-ibm-01-sep-88/

Sorta rare too from what I understand she looks pretty and the inside was just dusty and grimey so I'm hoping once I get my USB converter thingy I find out she's in proper working order cause it feels nice fake typing on it.

EDIT:

FAX & GFAX :whatup:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
You should use Auto Hotkey to bind ctrl+k to bring up the on-screen keyboard in windows.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

You should use Auto Hotkey to bind ctrl+k to bring up the on-screen keyboard in windows.

Think it'd actually be Alt-K but it's okay.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Excuse me but

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/jelly-keys-spacebar

What sort of oval office spends $57 on a loving spacebar

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Geirskogul posted:

I've never typed on a green but a blue doesn't make any kind of industrial brutially soviet sound... the click is deadly plastic... where as the clears thockky hit is one of a solid baseplate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ColHannibal posted:

maaaaate

look I don't know any better. for me the vortex thock is solid and fuckable.. if it gets better.. well thats like trying to imagine what 8 tabs of acid is like after taking only 1.. inconceivable

show me where I can get thia

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

chippy posted:

Excuse me but

This guy https://www.massdrop.com/buy/jelly-keys-spacebar/talk/405347

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It comes in this box

Ever since I read about the Gray Goose guy's "take any product and market it as superpremium and people will buy it" life story, I have had an appreciation for anyone with the chutzpah to just say "hmm...hey, here is a thing you can buy for $10, but I am going to charge $100 for it because this is a LUXURY version."

Whale Penis Leather CTRL Key, $50,000

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Dr. Quarex posted:

It comes in this box

Ever since I read about the Gray Goose guy's "take any product and market it as superpremium and people will buy it" life story, I have had an appreciation for anyone with the chutzpah to just say "hmm...hey, here is a thing you can buy for $10, but I am going to charge $100 for it because this is a LUXURY version."

Whale Penis Leather CTRL Key, $50,000

you didn't rotate that photo, did you

it's intentionally at an unappealing angle trying to appear artsy, isn't it

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Artisan keycaps guys, we are far saner than the Reddit community. We don't take our keyboards on dates, and we don't pay hundreds (yes hundreds) of dollars for an ugly keycap to sit on our esc key. As far as that space bar goes, it's pretty cheap and tame let me try to dig up,some of the eBay options where things that look like reject Lego pieces go for $500.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ILikeVoltron posted:

I'm a huge fan of the DSA Keycaps on pimpmykeyboards. I replaced the default caps on my pok3r with them. They seem super sturdy.

Those keycaps make my loins tingle. Reminds me heavily of old Commador 64 keyboards.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

chippy posted:

Excuse me but

Hey, when you consider how often you press that key, the price is quite reasonable on a per-keystroke basis over the lifetime of the keyboard.

Everyone feel free to try out this argument on your spouse/SO/conscience when contemplating your next ruinously-expensive keyboard purchase. :buddy:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

chippy posted:

Excuse me but

With an ugly logo!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Other than the logo, it's kind of pretty. I might spend twenty bucks on it if I were presented with it and I were in an impulse buying sort of mood.

Welp. Shame about that price.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
I promised a completed pic of my keyboard so here it is. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

AbbadonOfHell posted:

I promised a completed pic of my keyboard so here it is. :D

:yeah: that's pretty cool

• Locked thread