Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its also saying something how cool you guys seem to be with sending children into an isolated cultural environment where they do not learn anything other than a narrow range of skills that have no value other than within their current environment, thus condemning them to a perpetual cycle of exclusion from the rest of the world and self-sustaining their own archaic social system.

What if Harry Potter wanted to be an engineer huh? I don't see Calculus or Physics on the Hogwart's curriculum.

It's been years since I read that poo poo but isn't Hermione studying hardcore wizard maths in one of the early books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Guys we're loving up this thread,let's discuss adulso lit again

I'm reading the final book in My Struggle series, it's the best thing ever, haven't gotten to the famous 400-page Hitler essay yet though, will report again in a week or so (best books in series: 1,2,5,6 - he should've combined 3 and 4 and cut some fluff)

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

A human heart posted:

It would have cool if the fantasy genre had been destroyed, imo

modern lovely mega-series fantasy, sure, but people have been writing fantasy far longer than they've been writing so-called "realistic" fiction. I mean Christ, we were just talking about Beowulf

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
"Fantasy" is a thing, it's a genre. It's something that grew in the Anglo-Saxon literary sphere in the 20th century, it has themes and elements in common. It's A Thing as we kids say. That's what we talk about when we say "fantasy". And that's why it's so loving boring when totally entry level people are like "well didn't Kafka write fantasy? didn't the Ancient Romans write fantasy?". No they didn't. gently caress off.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
What Ras said

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
When you really get to it all fiction is fantasy because it deals with unreality in one form or another its all just a matter of the extent

*smokes a bubble pipe while wearing a bathrobe*

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Ras Het posted:

"Fantasy" is a thing, it's a genre. It's something that grew in the Anglo-Saxon literary sphere in the 20th century, it has themes and elements in common. It's A Thing as we kids say. That's what we talk about when we say "fantasy". And that's why it's so loving boring when totally entry level people are like "well didn't Kafka write fantasy? didn't the Ancient Romans write fantasy?". No they didn't. gently caress off.

ppl want to excuse their bad taste by associating what they like with a recognized master, thus giving their bad taste a (false) patina of sophistication. It's like when ppl listen to a fast piece by Bach and say something like, "wow I didn't know Bach was a rock n' roller, just like my favorite musician, the bassist from the Dave Matthews Band"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

david crosby posted:

ppl want to excuse their bad taste by associating what they like with a recognized master, thus giving their bad taste a (false) patina of sophistication. It's like when ppl listen to a fast piece by Bach and say something like, "wow I didn't know Bach was a rock n' roller, just like my favorite musician, the bassist from the Dave Matthews Band"

I call it Metal Fan Syndrome

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

I'm reading Dr Zhivago, which is good, but i keep thinking of sexxy 1967 Julie Christie when they're talking about Lara :greencube:

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Ras Het posted:

No they didn't. gently caress off.

Okay.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

cool job ignoring all the pertinent points and responding to the insult

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

cool job ignoring all the pertinent points and responding to the insult

Ur mom wrote fantasy

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

When you really get to it all fiction is fantasy because it deals with unreality in one form or another its all just a matter of the extent

*smokes a bubble pipe while wearing a bathrobe*

our whole lives are nothing but fantasy! :greencube: it's like we're living in a grrrr martin novel! :greencube:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yes important morals such as

"important people are born important and self-determination is meaningless"

"its ok to break the rules if you are special and you want to"

"people who look bad at first glance are in fact bad"

"those who do not have the advantages that you do are lesser than you"
Kids are gonna have to learn all of those things eventually.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

blue squares posted:

Says English major

hahahaha

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hantama posted:

Ok, seeing the old English i won´t be able to read that, like not a word of it I guess I´d thought that it was way more like modern English with a bit more German in there.
I looked into the dual book and that is of course way more readable while still having the original which is nice to look at. I´ll start with the translation on that site and if I honestly want to read the whole thing I´ll buy that book.
Thanks!

It's more.accessible than you think, esp. If you also know German. Most of the words are a lot closer to modern than they look, you just have to learn what the weird letters sound like etc. You can learn everything you need to read Beowulf in the original in about six weeks, but you need someone to teach you.

So yah start with the translation, get a facing page copy that has both, listen to some audiotapes of the original to get the sound in your ear, and you can figure out more of it than you'd think.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jokes on you my degree is in Comparative Literature

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Jokes on you my degree is in Comparative Literature

That might actually make the joke better tho lol

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Actually the joke is on me because not only is my degree in Rhetoric and Writing, I'm actually staking my future on the idea that magazines will pay me for my writing. So far it's working out well and I have some money coming in but likely I will starve to death in a year's time

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I studied Portuguese literature for two years and didn't graduate

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

I studied Portuguese literature for two years and didn't graduate

Speaking of which we haven't talked about how good Saramago is recently

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I'm glad I have (at least) two saramago books to read this year.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I own Blindness but it's not on my to-read queue atm

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

I own Blindness but it's not on my to-read queue atm

Put it at the top

It's better than whatever you are currently reading

EDIT: I still havent read Baltasar and Blimunda or The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis yet because I don't want to run out of Saramago too early. I deliberately am delaying reading more or him so I can savor him. I am the same way with Garcia Marquez and Hemingway.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 28, 2016

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I've only read Blindness but it rules.

Has anyone read The Little Red Chairs yet? It sounds like extremely My poo poo but book 3 of My Struggle is staring at me

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Put it at the top

EDIT: I still havent read Baltasar and Blimunda or The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis yet because I don't want to run out of Saramago too early. I deliberately am delaying reading more or him so I can savor him. I am the same way with Garcia Marquez and Hemingway.

I read History of the Siege of Lisbon last year. Was considering The Elephant's Journey, because everyone knows animals = true art. How is it?

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

WatermelonGun posted:

Has anyone read The Little Red Chairs yet? It sounds like extremely My poo poo but book 3 of My Struggle is staring at me

gently caress yes. The Little Red Chairs is so good. Picked it up the day it came out in NA and read it in about two. The book is fantastic. I don't really want to say anything else because I don't want to spoil it for you but post when you're done and I'll talk about it.

Also Saramago rules. Read Blindness last month and have Seeing on the pile. How does it stack up (ha ha)?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

WatermelonGun posted:

I'm gonna write a My Struggle type of memoir and call it My poo poo. What I would really like is a My Struggle written by a black man or woman in the United States.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Death with interruptions was pretty good but not as good as Blindness. What is his other best one besides Blindness?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Ben Nevis posted:

I read History of the Siege of Lisbon last year. Was considering The Elephant's Journey, because everyone knows animals = true art. How is it?

you should read the elephant's journey, it's really good.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

Death with interruptions was pretty good but not as good as Blindness. What is his other best one besides Blindness?

of those I've read so far, history of the siege of lisbon and elephant's journey

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Put it at the top

jokes on you, im reading Gilead (and The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell)

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

blue squares posted:

I'm gonna write a My Struggle type of memoir and call it My poo poo. What I would really like is a My Struggle written by a black man or woman in the United States.

I'd bet dollars to donuts something like that will come out in the next couple of years. Someone may be writing one RIGHT NOW.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

I am fond of The Double or All the Names

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Ricardo Reis and Balthasar & Blimunda are by far the best Saramago imo. I like his later novels too, but I love how full of ideas, how totally Portuguese and how stubbornly obtuse those two are. There's no overarching metaphor like you often get later (Blindess in particular at parts takes its metaphor too far), there's simply one weird idea and history unfolds around it*. Ricardo Reis takes it even further imo, because it never really does the things you want/expect it to, it just moves on towards the inevitable & stupid conclusion, and all you can do is take in as much of its world as you can

*The Elephant's Journey is sort of similar in that way, though it's utterly trivial in comparison (and I think the narrative style feels very forced in it)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Popular Human posted:

modern lovely mega-series fantasy, sure, but people have been writing fantasy far longer than they've been writing so-called "realistic" fiction. I mean Christ, we were just talking about Beowulf

Beowulf isn't fantasy.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mallamp posted:

Guys we're loving up this thread,let's discuss adulso lit again

I'm reading the final book in My Struggle series, it's the best thing ever, haven't gotten to the famous 400-page Hitler essay yet though, will report again in a week or so (best books in series: 1,2,5,6 - he should've combined 3 and 4 and cut some fluff)

Well I'm still muddling through the early parts of 2, although I've already bought 3 and 4 because I know I'll get there. It's too good not to keep going.

...Wait a minute, mallamp speaks Norwegian?!?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

mdemone posted:

Well I'm still muddling through the early parts of 2, although I've already bought 3 and 4 because I know I'll get there. It's too good not to keep going.

...Wait a minute, mallamp speaks Norwegian?!?

the 5th one is out in English bruh

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

A human heart posted:

the 5th one is out in English bruh

Yeah but I'm collecting the paperbacks. I should've just taken the plunge and gotten the hardcovers. Maybe someday.

Mallamp, how is 6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

A human heart posted:

Beowulf isn't fantasy.

It's real.