Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

sullat posted:

I seem to recall that was also the French General's plan in Grey Hunter's WW1 game

Yes but my plan was actually going to work you defeatist charlatan :argh:

-every general, August 1914-May 1918

Oh right so someone asked a very long time ago what I learned from doing that:

1). The mental strength Petain would have needed to go out onto the street every day, and watch his men going up and down the Voie Sacree, and know it was all being done on his orders, and to continually confront himself with the reality of what it meant, and absolutely not take refuge in his chateau and treat the men solely as boxes and flags on a map, is absolutely mindboggling. It becomes a lot easier to understand why so many of them just hid away from the real world and kept everything as abstracted as possible and couldn't possibly confront that they were ordering thousands and thousands of men to their deaths, or just to live in filth with the rats and the dysentery.

2). Personality clashes! Holy God are they ever so much more understandable now; how easy it is to fall out, how important it is to have people working together who all have a similar view of things and can all pull on the same rope, and how quickly a command structure can fall apart once that happens. It seems so obvious now that whatsisname who was my divisional commander was going in with the mindset "I can do better than the real war by not getting people slaughtered in battles they can't possibly win", and I was going in thinking "I can do better than the real war because I know what they did wrong and I can translate that into game mechanics and achieve the victories that they couldn't", and that was always going to lead to a clash, especially with no incentive beyond roleplaying to defer to the chain of command. Not entirely unlike Rawlinson and Haig trying to plan the Somme together despite Rawlinson being Captain Bite-And-Hold and Haig believing that something more was possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Trin Tragula posted:

Yes but my plan was actually going to work you defeatist charlatan :argh:

-every general, August 1914-May 1918

Oh right so someone asked a very long time ago what I learned from doing that:

1). The mental strength Petain would have needed to go out onto the street every day, and watch his men going up and down the Voie Sacree, and know it was all being done on his orders, and to continually confront himself with the reality of what it meant, and absolutely not take refuge in his chateau and treat the men solely as boxes and flags on a map, is absolutely mindboggling. It becomes a lot easier to understand why so many of them just hid away from the real world and kept everything as abstracted as possible and couldn't possibly confront that they were ordering thousands and thousands of men to their deaths, or just to live in filth with the rats and the dysentery.

2). Personality clashes! Holy God are they ever so much more understandable now; how easy it is to fall out, how important it is to have people working together who all have a similar view of things and can all pull on the same rope, and how quickly a command structure can fall apart once that happens. It seems so obvious now that whatsisname who was my divisional commander was going in with the mindset "I can do better than the real war by not getting people slaughtered in battles they can't possibly win", and I was going in thinking "I can do better than the real war because I know what they did wrong and I can translate that into game mechanics and achieve the victories that they couldn't", and that was always going to lead to a clash, especially with no incentive beyond roleplaying to defer to the chain of command. Not entirely unlike Rawlinson and Haig trying to plan the Somme together despite Rawlinson being Captain Bite-And-Hold and Haig believing that something more was possible.

That game was a hell of a thing from a specter perspective, shame it pettered out in the later years.

It was also funny how the artillery preparation mirrored real life so closely. Too much in some sectors, not enough in others.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

sullat posted:

I seem to recall that was also the French General's plan in Grey Hunter's WW1 game

I believe it was Trin himself who once posted a set of orders that was nothing but "En avant!" in varying inflections.

And yeah, I agree on the personality clashes. There was always a running tension between those who thought that the best way to fight WW1 was to never attack ever, and those who thought more was possible.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, although I made a few mistakes, It was a great game.

My main mistakes were -

To large. I should have limited the number of corps down to 3 each MAX.
I should have made it a meeting engagement.
I should have enforced the 1 order change per Division per turn rule.
I should have controlled the map better - the opening of the sides on turn 1 lead to things spiraling out of control.

I've been tempted to do it again, but on a smaller scale.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, although I made a few mistakes, It was a great game.

My main mistakes were -

To large. I should have limited the number of corps down to 3 each MAX.
I should have made it a meeting engagement.
I should have enforced the 1 order change per Division per turn rule.
I should have controlled the map better - the opening of the sides on turn 1 lead to things spiraling out of control.

I hope you do, it was fantastic even as a spectator

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Please do! I'd love another go-round, it was a spectacular idea, and if only it had had about four umpires to take the load off you having to adjudicate everything...

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Who ended up winning?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Who ended up winning?

The undertakers? I also needed to add victory locations.
I'll see how I'm doing once I'm back at work. To shattered atm.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Who ended up winning?

The audience, I imagine. :v:

edit: To add my view of that game, I kept arguing with half my team about the need to cause a distraction, since our entire plan in 1915 relied on crossing a certain bridge, which could certainly be blown by the time we reached it if the enemy team figured out our plan early on.

my dad fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 28, 2016

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I only remember going crazy with the idea of always having more reserves. MORE.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

Please do! I'd love another go-round, it was a spectacular idea, and if only it had had about four umpires to take the load off you having to adjudicate everything...

I'd probably sign up for it :shobon:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
If I have time when it comes about I'd love to have a go. Big if, though.

Main thing I remember from the game was that in my round, the most aggressive generals planned for an assault but the actual execution ended up largely in the hands of those most opposed to the assault.

And that's how a plan that emphasized speed and a willingness to absorb casualties above all things ended with us sitting patiently in No Man's Land waiting for the gas in the trenches to disperse while Allied artillery bombed us to bits.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tomn posted:

If I have time when it comes about I'd love to have a go. Big if, though.

Main thing I remember from the game was that in my round, the most aggressive generals planned for an assault but the actual execution ended up largely in the hands of those most opposed to the assault.

And that's how a plan that emphasized speed and a willingness to absorb casualties above all things ended with us sitting patiently in No Man's Land waiting for the gas in the trenches to disperse while Allied artillery bombed us to bits.

It was them catching up to our own creeping barrage, because the planning of our artillery ended up being the most pessimistic part of the plan. :downsgun:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
God, this is like listening to people describe their loving dreams.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Wait what is this? It sounds like it owns.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

spectralent posted:

Wait what is this? It sounds like it owns.

Grey Hunter hosts and produces some very interesting war gaming threads in the traditional games sub-forums. His Lets Plays are excellent as well.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

God, this is like listening to people describe their loving dreams.

consider posting on a subject that does interest you.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Sign me up if you do. Can't wait to blow some more bridges and fight the epic Second Battle of Mangepomme. :dance: :france:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'll have you know that my loving dreams involve more tank destroyers, and lashings of promiscuous intercourse between officers and men

100 Years Ago

It's the 22nd of April, and I do apologise for the severe delay in bringing to you a truly classic day of artisanal military failure. We begin in the North Sea, where the Grand Fleet goes looking for a mostly-illusory German sortie and finishes up merrily colliding with itself all over the place. Then we go on to consider the murders committed by General Mangin at Fort Douaumont with the police whistle. By the time we get to the Siege of Kut, like Edward Mousley I'm just about out of writing spirit. Louis Barthas does some precision drilling in the middle of a thunderstorm (guess who's to blame); E.S. Thompson and his car continue touring the bogs of northern Tanzania during rainy season; and Maximilian Mugge has an attack of snobbery because nobody else in his hut knows who Anatole France is. Knickers to you, matey. You wanted to be British.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Speaking of arsing around the North Sea, does anybody know some good sources on this thing?

It's possibly the least successful submarine design in history, and I'd like to write an infodump on it if I can find the material.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

consider posting on a subject that does interest you.

Okay, question: Modern ships have their missiles in vertical launch tubes. Cold War ships (by and large) ran on a more classic launcher/magazine setup. The advantages of VLS are pretty obvious - the magazine is the launcher, meaning more missiles in the same space or the same amount of missiles in less space. VLS also seems, to me, to be more straightforward and mechanically simple - you don't need to have the whole reloading mechanism set up.

The question is: why did it take until after the Cold War ended for VLS to become a widespread thing?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I am pretty sure that you have to ground-up design for VLS since the box is large, heavy, and cuts across decks. At least for early missile carrying ships, it just wasn't feasible from a shipbuilding perspective.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nebakenezzer posted:

Speaking of arsing around the North Sea, does anybody know some good sources on this thing?

It's possibly the least successful submarine design in history, and I'd like to write an infodump on it if I can find the material.

D.K. Brown wrote a bit about it in The Grand Fleet, but you'll be disappointed because he didn't think there was anything absurd about them, just that their general concept was unworkable.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You also need the box to either withstand the heat and stress of the missile's motor igniting in the box, or some kind of system to poop the missile out before it ignites, it's a lot more involved than just nailing a couple of arms to the deck. Also I don't think "after the cold war" is accurate? SSBNs have almost always had them, Soviet CGs (VLS was a Soviet invention yes?) have had them since the 1970s.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am pretty sure that you have to ground-up design for VLS since the box is large, heavy, and cuts across decks. At least for early missile carrying ships, it just wasn't feasible from a shipbuilding perspective.

Yeah but the magazine in a launcher/mag setup would be of an equal size, plus the ammunition lift to the actual launcher.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
It may also have to do with missile electronics. An arm launcher can point the missile in the right direction from the get go, so it doesn't have to "find" the signals after launch.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I should totally go read the German threads to see WTF you guys were thinking there.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

D.K. Brown wrote a bit about it in The Grand Fleet, but you'll be disappointed because he didn't think there was anything absurd about them, just that their general concept was unworkable.

Respectfully beg to differ.

quote:

From their first appearance in mid-World War I, the Royal Navy’s K-class submarines were perhaps the most badly-conceived and ill-starred submersibles ever built by any nation. In both their original configuration and in the several derivatives that followed, the K-boats compiled an almost unbroken record of disaster and death, unredeemed by even a single instance of combat effectiveness. Spawned by a flawed tactical concept, implemented with immature and dangerous technologies, and kept at sea by the Admiralty’s stubborn refusal to admit the most obvious deficiencies, the K-class left in their wake a fascinating—even humorous—tale of operational and technical folly for which the query, “What were they thinking?” has seldom been more appropriate.

[...]

quote:

However, the most distinctive features of the K-class derived directly from their steam power plants. Aft of the Control Room and the Beam Torpedo Rooms were located successively the Boiler, Turbine and Motor Rooms. Above the boilers were six large hull openings—two funnel uptakes and four air intakes, all closed by motor-operated valves. Each of the air intakes was 37 inches in diameter. The five-foot high funnels themselves protruded from a substantial superstructure aft of the conning tower and were tilted downward by electric motors and stowed in the superstructure prior to submerging. To dive the submarine, the boilers had to be shut down, the funnels retracted, and all the valves tightly seated to seal the Boiler Room while blowing ballast and converting over to electric drive. The residual heat was so fierce that the boiler spaces were totally uninhabitable during submergence, and had to be abandoned. A longitudinal passageway to one side thus had to be fitted to bypass the Boiler Room in moving between the two halves of the submarine. All the hatches, valves, hull penetrations, intakes, and uptakes necessitated by this Rube Goldberg arrangement led one experienced submariner to sum up the K-class boats with one pithy phrase: “Too many holes!” And on top of that, the biggest holes were located in a space that was normally unmanned while submerging.

quote:

Disaster in the Firth of Forth
Sadly, this was not the case in a lugubrious incident that took place on the evening of 31 January 1918 off the Firth of Forth. By then, Beatty had moved the K-boats south of Rosyth, where they joined the Fifth Battle Squadron and the Second Battle Cruiser Squadron under Vice Adm. Hugh Evan-Thomas. Beatty planned a major fleet exercise for 1 February in which his main force from Scapa Flow would rendezvous with the Rosyth contingents in the North Sea. Thus, in the early evening of 31 January, Evan-Thomas, in the cruiser HMS Courageous, led his forces down the Firth of Forth in a long, single line-ahead. After Courageous came the 13th Submarine Flotilla—K11, K17, K14, K12, and K22 (formerly K13)—all following their Commodore, Cmdr. Edward Leir, in the flotilla leader HMS Ithuriel. Several miles behind them were the battle cruisers Australia, New Zealand, Indomitable, and Inflexible, and then the 12th Submarine Flotilla: the light cruiser HMS Fearless (with Capt. Charles Little, Commodore), K4, K3, K6, and K7. Bringing up the rear were three battleships, which, like the battle cruisers, were accompanied by a number of screening destroyers. The initial speed of advance was 16 knots, but Evan-Thomas had ordered his forces to increase speed to 22 knots when they passed May Island, which lay just at the entrance to the Forth estuary.

The night was clear and the seas relatively calm, but the moon had not yet come up, and each of the K-boats was essentially steering on the shrouded stern light of the vessel ahead.

At approximately 1900, Courageous passed May Island and increased speed, just as a low-lying bank of mist settled over the sea. Almost simultaneously, Evan-Thomas’ force unexpectedly encountered a small flotilla of minesweeping trawlers crossing their path. As K14 maneuvered to avoid them, her helm jammed, and she veered out of line to port and slowed. Meanwhile, K22, having lost sight of her next ahead, K12, had also straggled to port off the intended track, and when K14 managed to regain steering and turned back to starboard, K22 plowed into her at 19 knots, nearly tearing off her bow. Thus began a chain reaction of misadventures that was later dubbed the “Battle of May Island.”

With both K22 and K14 now dead in the water—and the latter nearly in extremis—out of the mist loomed the battle cruisers, with Australia in the van. The first three succeeded in avoiding the crippled submarines, but Inflexible, last in line, struck K22 a glancing blow and tore down her side making 18 knots, removing all her external tankage. Surprisingly, both submarines survived, and K22 even made it back to port the next day under her own power.

By 2000, Commodore Leir on Ithuriel had received word of the initial collision, and turned back—with K11, K17 and K12 in train— to render assistance. Almost immediately, they ran afoul of the column of battle cruisers and their screening destroyers, still outbound, but narrowly managed to avoid a collision. With that danger averted, however, Leir blundered right across the bows of the oncoming 12th Submarine Flotilla, with Fearless in the lead, and the latter rammed full speed into K17, just forward of the conning tower. Fearless lost twenty feet of her bow, and K17 sank within eight minutes. In the resulting confusion, K6 collided with K4, nearly cutting her in half. K4 sank almost immediately, but not before K7 ran over her in turn. These events left the confused remnant of both submarine squadrons stationary in the path of the battleships and their destroyers at the end of the column. Just alerted to the catastrophe before arriving on the scene, all three battleships in succession barely squeezed by K3, but their accompanying destroyers killed many K17 survivors in the water.

At dawn when the mist had lifted, the losses in the “Battle of May Island” were revealed: K4 and K17 sunk; Fearless, K14, and K22 badly damaged; and over 100 men drowned. The resulting inquiry and a court-martial assigned blame to five officers, but still no one questioned the tactical concept of operating the K-class boats with surface ships or the technical deficiencies of a submarine that combined the ‘speed of a destroyer, the turning circle of a battle cruiser, and the bridge-control facilities of a picket boat.’ Indeed, in June 1918, the Admiralty ordered six more, intended to be numbered K23 through K28.

Other notes include that it was 339 ft long, but had a max diving depth of 200 ft, which meant that it could exceed its max diving depth when its stern was still at the surface if on a steep enough angle. As noted it was a very leaky ship and its internal bulkheads could only withstand 8o ft of water, meaning a rupture beneath that depth could sink the ship.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 28, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ArchangeI posted:

Yeah but the magazine in a launcher/mag setup would be of an equal size, plus the ammunition lift to the actual launcher.

You don't need a hole big enough to fit all the missiles through in parallel, just big enough to fit them through in series. A VLS cell is a pretty big hole in more than one deck and I'd bet there's some real ship design wizardry to make the stresses work out.

Also a ship's magazine means you don't need to have missiles that can spend their lives in a little box ready to go at a moment's notice.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

And you also don't need to wire everything up to to your launch/guidance system. So there'd be less equipment to fail and maintain. Also cheeper.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I wouldn't say it gets anywhere near the level of "what were they thinking". Sure, it was a terrible design that was ultimately unworkable, but British submarine technology and doctrine were both still in their infancy at the time, and shipbuilding was making major leaps at the time - the K-class was designed barely a decade after the A-class that started British submarine efforts and only seven years after HMS Dreadnought was launched. For example, having a maximum dive depth that exceeded the length of the ship was a feature shared by other early British submarines, like the B-class, which was 142 feet long and was only rated for a depth of 50 feet, although it was tested against pressure levels equal to 100 feet. On top of that, the British were still playing catch-up on submarine technology in 1914, and a lot of the top admirals were well aware of the fact that German U-boats were accomplishing things the British had previously thought impossible. Within that context, it's easy to see why they said "well, let's try it and see" to the idea of a submarine that could keep up with the fleet; while the technological compromises that needed to be made for that proved crippling in 1913 and submarines eventually proved themselves to be generally much better suited for things other than fleet operations, it was par for the course in the early-20th-century Royal Navy.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The biggest issue with cell-based missiles is the rounds have to be certified, that is be virtually maintenance free from the time you load the cells until the time you fire the round. The technology to do that didn't really exist until the 1970s and obviously doing it in a maritime environment is significantly harder than doing it on land

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

xthetenth posted:

You don't need a hole big enough to fit all the missiles through in parallel, just big enough to fit them through in series

That's just the main deck. The "magazine" is usually a big rotating cylinder that feeds the missiles to the launch arms and takes up a lot of internal space. Accomodating that actually takes *more* volume than a VLS launcher.

That one's the Mark 26 from the early Ticonderoga. They got away from the cylinder, but how's this saving any volume over a VLS system? Now you're storing all your missiles vertically, just like in a VLS, but you also need the machinery to maneuver them into place.

quote:

. A VLS cell is a pretty big hole in more than one deck and I'd bet there's some real ship design wizardry to make the stresses work out.

See above: a conventional magazine is a pretty big hole in more than one deck.

quote:

Also a ship's magazine means you don't need to have missiles that can spend their lives in a little box ready to go at a moment's notice.

Huh? Sure it does, unless you're planning on loading and unloading them on a regular basis for no particular reason. Missiles that are going to spend their lives in a magazine ready to go at a moment's notice really aren't any different.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Not needing the cut to extend all the way up and out means a hole in all the decks without a mostly intact one above to take strain. Voids are bad but cuts in the box, especially extending deep in, are worse.

Also, the Tico was designed when the missiles were already close to being able to be certified for VLS use, which means you don't need the same degree of access as you would earlier. There's a process from the earlier ships where, for example, fins had to be fitted, up to VLS. I wouldn't be surprised if they had some access though.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I would like to learn about Boshin war, what are some good books on the subject?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

xthetenth posted:

You don't need a hole big enough to fit all the missiles through in parallel, just big enough to fit them through in series. A VLS cell is a pretty big hole in more than one deck and I'd bet there's some real ship design wizardry to make the stresses work out.

I am very confused right now. What is the alternative to a VLS for a submarine? I thought those systems were the default. I do not know poo poo about subs though. Please tell us more!

oh, someone explained it before I made this post. Thanks, dude.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 29, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
VLS feel like they became a necessity when they realized the twin arms weren't doing poo poo against saturation attacks. So I think you have to consider the tactical implications that went along with the technology advancement.

Also, fun fact for this thread, you could never load the older Harpoons into a VLS so many of the Burkes straight up don't have a surface to surface anti-ship missile. This is one of the reasons the LRASM is a big deal in Navy procurement right now.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 29, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mazz posted:

Also, fun fact for this thread, you could never load the older Harpoons into a VLS so many of the Burkes straight up don't have a surface to surface anti-ship missile. This is one of the reasons the LRASM is a big deal in Navy procurement right now.

IIRC, All models of the Standard missile have the ability to be used as SSMs.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

MrYenko posted:

IIRC, All models of the Standard missile have the ability to be used as SSMs.

Don't SAMs kinda suck when used in the surface-to-surface role, since what you want your warhead to do is so different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Davin Valkri posted:

Don't SAMs kinda suck when used in the surface-to-surface role, since what you want your warhead to do is so different?

Standard comes in so many varieties and modifications that I find it very hard to believe that there isn't one with a warhead optimized for killing ships.

• Locked thread