Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Nessus posted:

I remember reading during my earlier flirtation with the craft that apparently you get the rank of the highest Scottish Rite thing you participated in? So you could have done the 7th, 8th, and 32nd one and you'd be a 32nd degree Mason, while if I did 4-28 I'd be 28th degree. Is that right or was it my memory betraying me

That's correct.

There are a few you have to do in order, otherwise it doesn't matter. I've not seen all 32, but I am a 32nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Nessus posted:

I remember reading during my earlier flirtation with the craft that apparently you get the rank of the highest Scottish Rite thing you participated in? So you could have done the 7th, 8th, and 32nd one and you'd be a 32nd degree Mason, while if I did 4-28 I'd be 28th degree. Is that right or was it my memory betraying me

That's correct. There are only... 4, I think?... Scottish Rite degrees that HAVE to be conferred in a long form in the lodge, the rest can just be explained using a powerpoint or whatever.

I wanna say 4 / 16 / 30 / 32 are the required ones.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
I should know this, but I think it's actually 4, 14, 18, and 32 are the required degrees. Each represents one of the 4 bodies of the AASR.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cholmondeley posted:

I should know this, but I think it's actually 4, 14, 18, and 32 are the required degrees. Each represents one of the 4 bodies of the AASR.

My bad, you're absolutely right.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

You're both kicked out now for less than perfect appendant body knowledge recall. The Grand Lodge of Emron has spoken.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Does anyone even do all of them in longform? My understanding is several of them don't even have long-form ritual written.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Of the ones I've seen (which I'll admit are few), I have only ever seen acted out. I've never watched a video or Powerpoint.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Loomer posted:

Does anyone even do all of them in longform? My understanding is several of them don't even have long-form ritual written.

Well if you want to get super technical, the only place in America allowed to do the first 3 degrees the way they're presented in the Scottish Rite, is Louisiana.

Emron posted:

You're both kicked out now for less than perfect appendant body knowledge recall. The Grand Lodge of Emron has spoken.

I cherish my Scottish Rite NPD notice. I might frame it and put it on the fridge.

(Just kidding, the degrees are great, it's the politicking and cliquishness that are not great and drove me to be more involved with the York Rite and not at all involved with the Scottish Rite)

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Well got some good news. My petition was balloted and and approved! Now I just need to wait until September or October for me to get my EA.

Been a two year process to get to this point.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Cimber posted:

Well got some good news. My petition was balloted and and approved! Now I just need to wait until September or October for me to get my EA.

That's fairly long. Mine was about a year, but that was mostly due to the complication of my being in another country for half a year after I submitted my petition. I've seen petition to initiation usually take a couple months, but I don't really know if that's the norm or not.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

Good luck, please remind us closer to the time. I'm fairly certain that any local goon-masons might try to pop along if they're able.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Indeed, what is your location?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Keetron posted:

Indeed, what is your location?

Long Island.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

My petition is going up for review tomorrow!

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
It's official! Tonight I'm being raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Hurrah!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

God speed!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
A lot of deserved congratulations in this thread!

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Well, all I can say is "wow". I certainly wasn't expecting that.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

That is one of the best aspects.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Don't worry, the feeling of absolute flooredness and an inability to fully recollect the evening for a couple of days is a normal part of the initiatic experience. With that said...

Congratulations to our newly raised brother!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Keetron posted:

That is one of the best aspects.

This, over and over again.

I tel our Apprentices and Fellowcrafts "you may think you know what you're in for next – you're wrong!"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
In honor of the 200th anniversary of its founding, the Grand Encampment of Knights Templar released a special bicentennial Knight of Malta breast jewel. I just got mine today and it's gorgeous :swoon:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Paladine_PSoT posted:

My petition is going up for review tomorrow!

Voted in, initiation set for the first Tues in June! Chalk up another goon Mason in the great state of Washington!

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

boing...boing...boing...boing...

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Voted in, initiation set for the first Tues in June! Chalk up another goon Mason in the great state of Washington!

Great news, soon to be brother! Don't forget to pat the goat before and after the ride.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Congratulations, soon-to-be-brother.

Does anyone else find it somewhat saddening when they see an apron for sale on ebay or at the second hand market?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

Great news, soon to be brother! Don't forget to pat the goat before and after the ride.

They said they'd try to get a nanny

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Loomer posted:

Congratulations, soon-to-be-brother.

Does anyone else find it somewhat saddening when they see an apron for sale on ebay or at the second hand market?

no beef with masonry but you guys take this pretty seriously, even if it has the unfortunate legacy of bad decisions past

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Grognan posted:

no beef with masonry but you guys take this pretty seriously, even if it has the unfortunate legacy of bad decisions past

Not 100% sure what you're trying to imply here.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

For sale: Masonic apron, never worn

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Emron posted:

For sale: Masonic apron, never worn

Hell, I'd sell mine. It has a blackish brown spot on it, looks to be a manufacturing defect. Also, the cord is kinda coming off. It has absolutely no significance to me as its the second one I've had this far seeing as my first one fell apart.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I still don't have one! We have general use ones at the lodge. I think they meant to give me one, because they gave me a really nice lapel pin, and said they were going to give me more things, but they ran out of gifts. Not that I'm complaining, I'm sure all will come in due time.

So, in other updates, my mentor declared that I was well-versed in my MM catechism one week after I started studying it, and set my examination for this Tuesday. In addition, I've been put in charge of our lodge's website and will likely get handed the keys to our Facebook. I guess they tend to give the job to the youngest MM, because our SD, an extremely industrious brother in his mid-30s, was quite eager to pass the torch. It's certainly great to have a lot keeping me busy.

Grognan posted:

I'm not quite sure I understand your point.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

My initiation will be on my lodge's annual Hawaiian shirt night. It's like a magical gift.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Grognan posted:

Some of us take it quite seriously, yes. I have no idea what you mean by the last part, but assuming it relates to the apron, to me my apron is one of my most cherished possessions. I want to either be buried in it or have it given to a new mason, which is how mine came to me.

What I definitely don't want is for it to be sold off online and put in a dark box in a collection, tossed because the buyer just wanted the case, or used as fancy dress. As a garment it has no magical properties in and of itself, but an apron belonged to a man who valued it, and that man - no matter who he was, where he was, when he was - was my brother. Other brothers, like Kilo, don't feel this way, and that's fine. We all attach individual significance to every symbolic component of the Craft, apron included.

I don't think I've shared the story of how I got my apron, so I may as well. Lodges here in Australia don't traditionally give brethren an apron to own until the Third Degree, and I presume this applies to Canada and other GLs established under the UGLE after its foundation - so ODC, your apron might be coming yet. That one is usually ordered by, or on behalf of, the new brother from the GL and is usually sparkly and new and pristine. That's a fine option for brothers to have, and symbolically is quite lovely. Mine came a different way entirely, which made it memorable and seared the importance into my mind.

When I was passed to the second, our WM handed me a few things in Lodge. First, there was the usual papers - you'll all know about those - but then was an apron, which belonged to a dead brother who had no heir-in-the-craft and who had been cremated, not buried. It was old, dirty, and had been sitting there a while waiting for something to be done - the sparklies were dirty and tarnished, the ribbons needed a gentle clean, and the lambskin is more yellow-brown than white. It was given by the Lodge, not by the man, and apparently none of our visitors had ever seen an FC given his MM's apron in open lodge as part of the ritual. Why exactly we did it - we haven't done it with the FCs who've come since, who have all received pristine new aprons on reaching MM - is a mystery, but it worked. I spent hours cleaning and polishing and loving that apron, connecting with the masonic heritage it carried with it, before I ever put it on during the raising.

That apron, symbolically, represented not just what we are told it does in ritual, but the entire unbroken chain of freemasonry that initiated the men who initiated the man who wore the apron I inherited - his name is unknown - and, in turn, the men who initiated the men who initiated me, and through me, all those I have helped initiate. It is every moral, spiritual and practical value and teaching of the Craft to me, and so, every apron is those things to me. I think this is probably an uncommon view on them, but it's mine and it's why I find it awfully sad to see an apron being sold off on ebay to collectors.

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

boing...boing...boing...boing...
This is a wonderful post, Loomer. It's clear that like me (UGLV), that you feel our traditions are steeped with respect for those who have passed. Sadly my proposer, mentor, and best mate's dad has passed, but one day - hopefully in three years - I'll wear his apron in the big chair. Lately it seems we are losing more of each other. Our treasurer passed last month which saddened us greatly. I know his family were happy to donate his GL and craft lodge regalia to our lodge, as there was nobody in the family who could use it.

TLDR: I guess what I'm getting to is that you're keeping some brother's spirit alive in what you do. That's great, mate!!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Got my third degree tomorrow.

Lost my cipher, and it's been a terribly stressful and time-crunched month because of family issues so I haven't had the chance to get a new one and I'm probably going to gently caress up the bit beforehand because I remember very little of it and definitely not the part I was supposed to have memorized, and I haven't had any proper sleep in a week due to a stupid minor infection that's made using my sleep machine impossible. I actually had to bail early on the last LoI because my wife just can't handle the baby in the evenings without me here.

Assuming I actually pull this off, I am so, so happy they're having their summer break immediately afterwards because any opportunities I'll have to do anything masonic in the next 3 months after this are practically nil. And it would serve them right not to even let me do it what with how much I've botched things this month.

I'm so bloody exhausted I'm not even sure how much I'd care right now what happens, hah. But I hope that, against the odds, everything turns out alright.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I think you'll probably do just fine, but it would not be the end of the world if you postponed it for a bit until you were in a better state of mind. You health is more important than esoteric lessons. You definitely want to be able to focus during the Third Degree.

When I first expressed interest, I ended up postponing for a whole year because of my approaching wedding. Too much going on to take on that endeavor.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I have successfully completed my third degree! Woo.

Now I'm gonna collapse into exhaustion for a few months.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

GlyphGryph posted:

I have successfully completed my third degree! Woo.

Now I'm gonna collapse into exhaustion for a few months.

Congratulations, newly raised brother. Don't worry, the sense of total confusion is normal, as is an inability to remember certain specifics of the ritual. Those come back once the brain has processed some of the exoteric elements of the raising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Loomer posted:

Congratulations, newly raised brother. Don't worry, the sense of total confusion is normal, as is an inability to remember certain specifics of the ritual. Those come back once the brain has processed some of the exoteric elements of the raising.
This is what they called "Goat fever," isn't it