Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Stuntman posted:

Oh yes, the backpack that was placed everywhere as the only method of getting ammo and that was treated as a regular pickup instead of an endgame powerup. Forgot about that part of Retard 1/2, sorry.

did one of the devs gently caress your mother or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

did one of the devs gently caress your mother or something?

Didn't you get the memo, videogame forums are all about losing one's poo poo over minor stuff nowadays. Like ammo pickups!

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Straight out of Wolfenstein: TNO, there's secret areas with retro graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hY3mVw2p3E

However, finding these secrets also unlocks the full related vintage level as a bonus to play from the menu.

Also in this video you can see more of the foundry level that's been shown off before, and it looks like there's lots of different pathways and routes at differing elevations.

Looks fun. Doom is good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mung Dynasty posted:

However, finding these secrets also unlocks the full related vintage level as a bonus to play from the menu.

Also in this video you can see more of the foundry level that's been shown off before, and it looks like there's lots of different pathways and routes at differing elevations.

Looks fun. Doom is good.

Oh man, straight up Doom 1 wall textures in DOOM, that's loving great. Other games have done similar things before, but still. Good job, Id. Secrets are pretty important. (And something most modern shooters are entirely lacking)

When they said that you could get all guns a level early as secrets, and showed off the in-game map, I was massively relieved. Single player looks pretty solidly Doom compared to MP. I still wish the movement speed was a little faster, but I think part of that is that a lot of the people showing off the game are playing on console without always-run.

So on PC with faster mouse movements and always-run on, it should be a bit better.

Why on earth would you ever play Doom for a second without always-run? That just ain't right. :colbert:

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Why on earth would you ever play Doom for a second without always-run? That just ain't right. :colbert:

For some of the stupid platforming sections where you'd overshoot your mark and end up in an inescapable sludge pit, I guess.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brumaldo posted:

Didn't you get the memo, videogame forums are all about losing one's poo poo over minor stuff nowadays. Like ammo pickups!
loving up the resource management that's central to the design of Retard 2 isn't minor. Minor is the Brutal Retard kills, because while still a glorified ( :haw: ) cutscene, they're optional. Making ALL ammo pickups universal ammo or the HL2E2-style handholding pickups that spawn the ammo you need (from stream, it looks like the latter, but i didnt see enough to confirm) dumbs down both the gameplay and the level design.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh man, straight up Doom 1 wall textures in DOOM, that's loving great.

Not just that, but Doom 1 graphics for pickups. :allears:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Stuntman posted:

loving up the resource management that's central to the design of Retard 2 isn't minor. Minor is the Brutal Retard kills, because while still a glorified ( :haw: ) cutscene, they're optional. Making ALL ammo pickups universal ammo or the HL2E2-style handholding pickups that spawn the ammo you need (from stream, it looks like the latter, but i didnt see enough to confirm) dumbs down both the gameplay and the level design.

Settle down, Beavis.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Honky Dong Country posted:

Settle down, Beavis.
Nice tone argument. Are you going to contribute to the thread by refuting my points, or just peanut gallery? Either is fine, but I'd like to know in advance.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

SP looks loving awesome, I wasn't expecting that at all.
I'd definitely pick it up when it's on sale for $30.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mung Dynasty posted:

For some of the stupid platforming sections where you'd overshoot your mark and end up in an inescapable sludge pit, I guess.

That's what binding a run key modifier is for, so you can press Shift to walk during those few times. That's no reason not to have always-run on :colbert:

Stuntman posted:

The MP sucks, get over it.

The SP has no loadouts, and didn't it have individual weapon ammo or am I crazy?

E: So SP has different ammo types but they just don't have different ammo models? No biggie, but it does seem lazy.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 28, 2016

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Why didn't you rt this on @doom_txt

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

That's what binding a run key modifier is for, so you can press Shift to walk during those few times. That's no reason not to have always-run on :colbert:

The MP sucks, get over it.

The SP has no loadouts, and didn't it have individual weapon ammo or am I crazy?
"Hill to die on" is the hot new meme to dismiss an argument, please don't stoop to that level. And the SP has individual pickups in addition to the retard crates, but the retard crates still exist and are not treated like backpacks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Stuntman posted:

Nice tone argument. Are you going to contribute to the thread by refuting my points, or just peanut gallery? Either is fine, but I'd like to know in advance.

Stuntman posted:

"Hill to die on" is the hot new meme to dismiss an argument, please don't stoop to that level. And the SP has individual pickups in addition to the retard crates, but the retard crates still exist and are not treated like backpacks.

:wtc:

Uh, would you please leave the thread and never return?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I enioyed the MP

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

You're right, ammo is individual. The ammo pickups just look kinda samey.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

I'm getting the impression that this is an actual sequel, and the marine is woken up from some sort of cryostasis to find that UAC is loving up again, this time trying to contain and weaponize the demons. Am I off? Has this been explicitly stated?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Stuntman posted:

a game in 2016 will not be made the same as in 1995. Wolfenstein TNO was an extremely well done game that was very fun to play, despite not being a faithful recreation of wolfenstein 3d. the doom game seems to be looking good as it has hallmarks of the original such as some of the level design, health and armor pickups, a ton of guns, and general pace of play. this game seems to be made by people who loved doom and doom 2, and felt doom 3 was not the right direction to evolve the game.

it does not look perfect, and while i enjoyed the multiplayer, it being from another studio may be a big flaw for a lot of people. im sure there are some things in the single player most people will not like as well. however it sure looks like its gonna be fun as hell and scratch that retro gaming itch while also having modern quality of life poo poo like weapon wheels and hopefully not a tremendous amount of backtracking.

no one mentions wandering around lost looking for keys as one of their favorite Doom memories.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Not a fan of monsters spawning into locked arenas, but the game does look pretty drat good. They should go the other way as well and let you play the new doom with the original weapons.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I hope there will be more elevator action and random moving walls n poo poo. Stuff seems a bit static for my tastes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

no one mentions wandering around lost looking for keys as one of their favorite Doom memories.

Being lost sucks, but I do really consider back-tracking to be integral to Doom. Having levels where you go explore one wing not sure where the other door leads, find an item you can't get, then later go through that earlier door and find a switch and double back to get that item, that poo poo's great.

Having levels that aren't just well-disguised and good-looking corridors that shuffle the player forwards constantly is a good thing and is sorely lacking in all modern FPS.

I love Half-Life, but ever since Half-life games have just been pure corridors with very little freedom of exploration. Good games disguise the corridors and draw your attention so you think you could have gone other ways, but there's always just one path through the game and sometimes its more obvious than others.

Good thing new Doom totally appears to have lots of hidden passages, secrets, and back-tracking using keycards and skull keys and poo poo.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Being lost sucks, but I do really consider back-tracking to be integral to Doom. Having levels where you go explore one wing not sure where the other door leads, find an item you can't get, then later go through that earlier door and find a switch and double back to get that item, that poo poo's great.

Having levels that aren't just well-disguised and good-looking corridors that shuffle the player forwards constantly is a good thing and is sorely lacking in all modern FPS.

I love Half-Life, but ever since Half-life games have just been pure corridors with very little freedom of exploration. Good games disguise the corridors and draw your attention so you think you could have gone other ways, but there's always just one path through the game and sometimes its more obvious than others.

Good thing new Doom totally appears to have lots of hidden passages, secrets, and back-tracking using keycards and skull keys and poo poo.

I agree, the difference is i would guess the backtracking in new doom will be nothing like in the old ones, where if you missed the sound of a door opening or missed a hard to see corridor, you could spend tens of minutes wandering around confused. I remember being lost in Downtown for hours as a kid, and that sucked.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

I think I can be down with backtracking under one condition: That the rooms don't all look the same.

I tried playing Halo 1 and 2 recently and holy poo poo, navigating the covenant areas was a nightmare because everything literally looked the same. I'd start doubting myself if I was backtracking or not.

Otherwise the neatest part about backtracking I remember from Doom is finding that a hidden passageway is now open, or finding a monster you missed and being like "Hmm I wonder if he popped out of a secret door???"

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Looking good from those previews, happy to see that despite my initial misgivings. I don't even really mind the glory kills since they seem to be over and done with in about a second.

One little thing I noticed, they were showing some of the datapad entry collectibles and I saw this:

quote:

If you have any new suggestions to improve the work environment while working your tenure in Res Ops, please submit suggestion form WAD-E1M4 to your Command Controller.
:haw:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Mung Dynasty posted:

Looks fun. Doom is good.

That is too loving cool. I don't care if it's obvious fan service. It's great.

Makes me wonder if those tiles are going to be available for SnapMap as well. I'm guessing probably not but it's cool to think about at least.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I agree, the difference is i would guess the backtracking in new doom will be nothing like in the old ones, where if you missed the sound of a door opening or missed a hard to see corridor, you could spend tens of minutes wandering around confused. I remember being lost in Downtown for hours as a kid, and that sucked.

Yeah, its especially bad in Hexen which tried to do a hubworld thing and made you backtrack across levels, which meant that sometimes you'd end up spending hours just wandering zones you'd already cleared trying to find the one switch you're supposed to flip so you can go back to the hub world and continue. And that sucked balls. So endless backtracking just for backtracking's sake is awful, but there needs to be some freedom of exploration. But you're right, the game also needs to give you some direction so you aren't totally lost.

Doom was rough but partially because it was just so early. Every one of the tricks that half-life does to get you to go to the right place, you could do in a doom game with backtracking to instead draw the player one way and then make it clear to them what way they should maybe explore next. Flashing lights, different color textures, the very layout of the rooms, etc.

Revitalized posted:

I think I can be down with backtracking under one condition: That the rooms don't all look the same.

I tried playing Halo 1 and 2 recently and holy poo poo, navigating the covenant areas was a nightmare because everything literally looked the same. I'd start doubting myself if I was backtracking or not.

Otherwise the neatest part about backtracking I remember from Doom is finding that a hidden passageway is now open, or finding a monster you missed and being like "Hmm I wonder if he popped out of a secret door???"

Yeah, there Covenant bits all have some good alien theme going on (purple! shiny!) but they're very samey looking corridors so its very easy to get turned around or unsure where to go next.

I think the Anniversary edition added some arrow lights on the ground to help you not get lost :cheeky:

GreatGreen posted:

That is too loving cool. I don't care if it's obvious fan service. It's great.

Makes me wonder if those tiles are going to be available for SnapMap as well. I'm guessing probably not but it's cool to think about at least.

I would assume not, they look like they have to use their on wall size geometry to match the old school textures. It'd be nice, but I doubt it.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

That E1M2 easter egg kinda looks like rear end?? I understand the engine doesn't have any sort of sector-based lighting but they made the whole thing one monotone light level which just looks awful.

Anyways, I watched the direct-feed gameplay video from Gamespot and I am really concerned about the lack of damage feedback. Unless you are staring directly at the health bar, it's almost impossible to even notice when you are taking damage most of the time. At one point in a fight a mancubus hurt the player for like 50 points of damage and there was zero audio feedback and almost zero visual feedback (just a minor shaking of the onscreen HUD elements). I have no idea what they are thinking.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 28, 2016

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I hope all the coolest easter eggs and early weapon access and all that is done old school though, that poo poo being cryptic as hell would be cool. I just would rather not have critical parts be subject to teleport puzzles or some of the other less enjoyable parts of the original games.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the singleplayer looks fast-paced enough to be fun, so that's really all i care about at this point. that and being able to ignore the scripted kills + turn off the indication

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stuntman posted:

Oh yes, the backpack that was placed everywhere as the only method of getting ammo and that was treated as a regular pickup instead of an endgame powerup. Forgot about that part of Retard 1/2, sorry.

Endgame content found in e1m2.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Linguica posted:

That E1M2 easter egg kinda looks like rear end?? I understand the engine doesn't have any sort of sector-based lighting but they made the whole thing one monotone light level which just looks awful.

Anyways, I watched the direct-feed gameplay video from Gamespot and I am really concerned about the lack of damage feedback. Unless you are staring directly at the health bar, it's almost impossible to even notice when you are taking damage most of the time. At one point in a fight a mancubus hurt the player for like 50 points of damage and there was zero audio feedback and almost zero visual feedback (just a minor shaking of the onscreen HUD elements). I have no idea what they are thinking.

Are you serious? :v: No it does not look like rear end, it looks like doom 1. And its a flippin' easter egg. Who cares?

They're using the modern 3d monster models, so sector based lighting would probably look like rear end. And its just a fun easter egg. The only reason to complain about this at all I can see is "if you're including the doom 1 level, why not do it right and have the lighting?" which is kinda fair but, its an easter egg who cares. It looks awesome.

I'm all for ripping on the game when it does dumb poo poo, but this is nitpicking like crazy.

And doom 1/2 didn't have any feedback? I do NOT want a loving "bloody screen, so real" in my doom game, thank you very much :colbert: Doom 1 had a little doomguy who got bloody over time and that and a number were the only health indicators and that was fine.

I think even knowing how much damage you're taking and doing is stupid. If I can turn off the damage numbers I will. This isn't borderlands or The Division, its doom.

You shoot people, they get hurt. If people shoot you or if a pinky hits you, its gonna hurt. That's obvious. I don't need to know how much damage it did. When you die you'll know you're dead. Until then, stay alive and get all the health you can. Its not like there's all this strategy dependent upon having X% life left or whatever. Over time you'll figure out how much shots it takes to kill this enemy or that from experience. No numbers needed.

I have no idea what you are thinking. The gun kick and sound effects could be better, but we don't need bloody screens or giant damage indicators when you git hit, no thankyou.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Are you serious? :v: No it does not look like rear end, it looks like doom 1. And its a flippin' easter egg. Who cares?

They're using the modern 3d monster models, so sector based lighting would probably look like rear end. And its just a fun easter egg. The only reason to complain about this at all I can see is "if you're including the doom 1 level, why not do it right and have the lighting?" which is kinda fair but, its an easter egg who cares. It looks awesome.

I'm all for ripping on the game when it does dumb poo poo, but this is nitpicking like crazy.

I think including the classic Doom maps is really awesome and great, but Linguica has a good point. Take a look at how that area looks in Doom, it makes a huge difference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwY43EIssQQ&t=101s

It's entirely possible that the full level will have the proper lighting and it's just the secret bit that's all bright like that, of course. I hope that is the case.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Ultra-Violence/Hard gameplay.

Game looks good. Doom is good. Doom................................................................................................ will be good.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Zaphod42 posted:

And doom 1/2 didn't have any feedback? I do NOT want a loving "bloody screen, so real" in my doom game, thank you very much :colbert: Doom 1 had a little doomguy who got bloody over time and that and a number were the only health indicators and that was fine.
Have you ever played Doom? Did you forget about the very obvious red tint when you get damaged and the very obvious pain noise?

Zaphod42 posted:

You shoot people, they get hurt. If people shoot you or if a pinky hits you, its gonna hurt. That's obvious. I don't need to know how much damage it did. When you die you'll know you're dead. Until then, stay alive and get all the health you can. Its not like there's all this strategy dependent upon having X% life left or whatever.
I've been calling this op Retard 42.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GUI posted:

Ultra-Violence/Hard gameplay.

Game looks good. Doom is good. Doom................................................................................................ will be good.

I hate that all the videos we see of this are played with a controller. :negative: You're killing me, Idgames.

my bony fealty posted:

I think including the classic Doom maps is really awesome and great, but Linguica has a good point. Take a look at how that area looks in Doom, it makes a huge difference:

It's entirely possible that the full level will have the proper lighting and it's just the secret bit that's all bright like that, of course. I hope that is the case.

I dunno, I guess, but the angled lighting would still probably look bad. Plus it may just take too much work for them to program in that kind of "dumb" lighting since they're probably just using the existing idtech6 lighting system.

Linguica posted:

Have you ever played Doom? Did you forget about the very obvious red tint when you get damaged and the very obvious pain noise?

The classic pain sounds I wouldn't mind, but having a few pain sounds going "UGH, UGH, UGH" doesn't really tell me much I don't already know, like how much damage I'm taking or anything.

Would you really be happy if they just added a translucent red flash over the game when you got hit? :v: I mean I guess it'd be a fine as an option, but I don't think it'd really make or break things like you're implying. It still doesn't tell you how much damage you're taking.

In classic doom the only way to know how much damage you took was watching your health percentage. If you get hit in the face with a fireball you should probably see that happening, especially with modern graphics being much higher fidelity.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Linguica posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsoDh6TIKDo&t=56m2s

There's red tint in this too, check out these fifteen seconds or so about 56 minutes in.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The game has a red haze that flashes at the edge of the screen every time you get hit.

and by the game, I mean the one that this thread is ostensibly about.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

I actually didn't remember what part of Doom that easter egg came out of until I saw this video because the lighting was basically the defining feature of that area.

For a one-time silly little easter egg it's like who cares but when you're going to do it every level and also advertise it on youtube (which kinda defeats the point of an easter egg) in order to rake in some more nostalgia dollars at least put some effort in it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Zaphod42 posted:

Would you really be happy if they just added a translucent red flash over the game when you got hit? :v: I mean I guess it'd be a fine as an option, but I don't think it'd really make or break things like you're implying. It still doesn't tell you how much damage you're taking.

In classic doom the only way to know how much damage you took was watching your health percentage. If you get hit in the face with a fireball you should probably see that happening, especially with modern graphics being much higher fidelity.

When you get hit in classic Doom you may not know exact percentages from the reaction but you can easily deduce roughly how much damage you took from how harsh the screen tint gets. You will know that you were just directly hit by a cyberdemon missile as opposed to grazed by a trooper's shot for example, your screen will go blindingly red and your previously impeccable face will look like you got into a fight with a flock of Palm Cockatoos. There have even been times where I've taken such a damaging hit that the resulting red flash made me assume I was dead when in fact I was just hanging by a sliver.

Gobblecoque posted:

I actually didn't remember what part of Doom that easter egg came out of until I saw this video because the lighting was basically the defining feature of that area.

For a one-time silly little easter egg it's like who cares but when you're going to do it every level and also advertise it on youtube (which kinda defeats the point of an easter egg) in order to rake in some more nostalgia dollars at least put some effort in it.

Remind me to not put fun Easter eggs in any games I make since somebody will take that as an opportunity to go full sperglord for god knows what reason.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

khwarezm posted:

When you get hit in classic Doom you may not know exact percentages from the reaction but you can easily deduce roughly how much damage you took from how harsh the screen tint gets. You will know that you were just directly hit by a cyberdemon missile as opposed to grazed by a trooper's shot for example, your screen will go blindingly red and your previously impeccable face will look you got into a fight with a flock of Palm Cockatoos. There have even been times where I've taken such a damaging hit that the resulting red flash made me assume I was dead when in fact I was just hanging by a sliver.

Hm, I didn't remember that much nuance to it before, but now that you mention it I can recall that "thinking you're dead when the screen goes dark red for a little longer" experience happening to me a few times.

New Doom does have a red flash though, so there ya go. Now the only question I guess is, does the red flash indicate how much damage like in the original? And if not that's an easy thing for them to change.