Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Podima posted:

I'll be in San Francisco tomorrow through Sunday, staying near Japantown - where's worth visiting?

Cellarmaker and City Beer Store if you're staying the City. Mikkeller Bar is fine, too, but generally overpriced.

Fieldwork, The Rare Barrel, and Faction if you have time to hit the East Bay via car or public transit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I thought Toronado was pretty great when I was in SF. Very chill hole in the wall. Cellermaker was arguably more fun as a hangout though.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Chimay blue is better than rochefort 10

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also i have a 17.4% abv beer in my fridge. The gently caress am I gonna do with this, this is three beers in a single beer, or four session beers. I can't session a single beer, what the flip!!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks all, appreciate it!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Eejit posted:

I thought Toronado was pretty great when I was in SF. Very chill hole in the wall. Cellermaker was arguably more fun as a hangout though.

Yeah Cellarmaker rules. Fun spot.

Went to Veil's can release day for the week today. They dropped a fresh batch of their DIPA Crucial Taunt, a session chocolate milk stout called Snozzwanger, and a 0 IBU IPA (what the gently caress) called Idon'twanttoBU. The latter was crazy, reminded me of a Trillium double dry-hopped IPA. Creamy sweet hop juice, no bitterness whatsoever. Super tasty, hope they do it again. Snozz was a weird one. Really rich flavor for 4.5%, but the flavor is really savory and meaty. Tasted like bacon and molasses, with a little bitter chocolate. Not my scene, but well made. I'm really happy that these guys are so good and so close by. Can't wait to see what the Veil's saison game is like.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
HEY NYC

Modern Times is going to be bringing kegs to the city for a week, to three bars and some bottle shops as well. I have no clue if the below tweet's going to embed or not so worst case scenario just read the link and their infographic:

http://twitter.com/ModernTimesBeer/status/725058488800563202

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Spuckuk posted:

Its actually cool that you can filter by country, as obviously the overall ratings are massively tilted toward US breweries and the few fetishised Belgian sour producers.

FWIW the UK listings are about 50/50 great breweries and meh to terrible.

Sweden's is pretty great as well. Obviously omnipollo as #1 then a poo poo ton of barely a year old ones that run a ton of social media campaigns and put out mediocre beer.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Control Volume posted:

Chimay blue is better than rochefort 10

ABT-12 > Rochefort 10 >>> Chimay Blue

The only real advantage the Chimay has is being able to get the baller 750ml corked bottles

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm really excited for another cold and rainy Dark Lord Day. Indiana is the worst.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Indiana is the worst.

Duh.

Spuckuk posted:

ABT-12 > Rochefort 10 >>> Chimay Blue

The only real advantage the Chimay has is being able to get the baller 750ml corked bottles

Man, Rochefort kills both of those.

Also, do you not get corked 750s of Abt in England? They're all over the US.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

wattershed posted:

HEY NYC
Modern Times is going to be bringing kegs to the city for a week, to three bars and some bottle shops as well. I have no clue if the below tweet's going to embed or not so worst case scenario just read the link and their infographic:

Was thinking about this - is there anything I should absolutely look for while they're here?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Control Volume posted:

Also i have a 17.4% abv beer in my fridge. The gently caress am I gonna do with this, this is three beers in a single beer, or four session beers. I can't session a single beer, what the flip!!

Those are made for sharing, not for a single person to drink all at once since that's a six pack in a bottle.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Snagged a bottle of 120 Minute. Never had a bottle before. Seriously--should I age this or drink it fresh? I know it says it "ages well" but I am skeptical. I am not a fan of barley wines, which I assume is what it'd taste like, so I'm inclined to drink it fresh.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gio posted:

Snagged a bottle of 120 Minute. Never had a bottle before. Seriously--should I age this or drink it fresh? I know it says it "ages well" but I am skeptical.

Fresh if you want an astringent boozy monster, aged if you want a low tier barleywine.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I don't even know what to expect from the former.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Gio posted:

I don't even know what to expect from the former.

It's a harrowing journey. Do you have help? It could be a fun 2oz share. I don't care for it fresh or aged, but I haven't tried it since it had a massive drop in quality years ago, so it's entirely possible it got better.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I had it last year when it was the same as I remembered it being five years before that: a fun novelty that everyone should try once but not what I would call an enjoyable experience I would like to do again.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Briney Melon is pretty well liked here, right? My local liquor store has it in and I was thinking of giving it a try.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

everythingWasBees posted:

Briney Melon is pretty well liked here, right? My local liquor store has it in and I was thinking of giving it a try.

I'm waiting for appropriately hot weather to pick some up but yes, the general opinion has been positive.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Those are made for sharing, not for a single person to drink all at once since that's a six pack in a bottle.

It's actually way worse than that:

http://lifehacker.com/why-a-5-beer-gets-you-drunk-so-much-faster-than-a-4-b-1725622428

Your body can only process alcohol at a certain rate. So even if you drink the 17.4% beer at the same rate as instead of four 4.3% beers, you will get drunker with the bigger beer because every sip leaves more alcohol in your system.

(Edited; Drinking them at the same rate would get you equally drunk because you're consuming a 4 times the lower ABV beer per unit of time and therefore processing the same. But the point stands that it's not necessarily the same thing to consume one big beer compared to 4 smaller ones.)

Gio posted:

Snagged a bottle of 120 Minute. Never had a bottle before. Seriously--should I age this or drink it fresh? I know it says it "ages well" but I am skeptical. I am not a fan of barley wines, which I assume is what it'd taste like, so I'm inclined to drink it fresh.

It never turns into anything resembling a barleywine. It just becomes a slightly less awful mess of a beer. It's definitely worth trying but it's probably best to share with 2-3 people. Mostly so you have someone to complain about it to.

danbanana fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 28, 2016

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Gio posted:

Fresh it's bad, but worth trying if you haven't had it. 3yrs it's worse than fresh. 9yrs it's finally consumable. This could be because it was before the rework that they did but this is all I know. Good luck!

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Was thinking about this - is there anything I should absolutely look for while they're here?

Probably depends on what they bring but City of the Dead is in their year-round lineup now and is must-try. If Hooloomooloo is on draft it's worth trying, and any version of Monster's Park as well. Their barrel-aged offerings are across the board quite solid so you won't go wrong if they are tapping anything that's been in wood.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

wattershed posted:

Probably depends on what they bring but City of the Dead is in their year-round lineup now and is must-try. If Hooloomooloo is on draft it's worth trying, and any version of Monster's Park as well. Their barrel-aged offerings are across the board quite solid so you won't go wrong if they are tapping anything that's been in wood.

Fruitlands is also delicious and comes with lots of different variations. Absolutely agreed that City of the Dead is their most unique beer though, the way they do the coffee completely changes it relative to any other coffee thing you've had.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

wattershed posted:

Found a list and it looks like there will be City of the Dead, an Apricot Fruitlands, BA Monster's Park, and BA Devil's teeth. Here's a list of what's confirmed: http://nycraftbeerguide.com/news/sa...campaign=buffer

I'll definitely try for City of the Dead, and Fruitlands I think

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Found a list and it looks like there will be City of the Dead, an Apricot Fruitlands, BA Monster's Park, and BA Devil's teeth. Here's a list of what's confirmed: http://nycraftbeerguide.com/news/sa...campaign=buffer

I'll definitely try for City of the Dead, and Fruitlands I think

BAMP and BADT are worth your time and money, for what it's worth. Had the BA Devil's Teeth with coffee last night and it's a very well-rounded beer.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Anyone else heading to Austin Beer Works' 5th anniversary party?
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/austin-beerworks-5th-anniversary-party-tickets-24597629171

St Arnold always does their fun events on sundays :mad:
http://www.saintarnold.com/news/index.html#22

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Chicago peeps - anything worth tracking down at bottle shops while I'm in the city? Really just looking for anything new/interesting.

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

wattershed posted:

BAMP and BADT are worth your time and money, for what it's worth. Had the BA Devil's Teeth with coffee last night and it's a very well-rounded beer.

Awesome, thank you.

I'm going out to Riverhead for the Second Anniversary party of Moustache Brewing this Saturday. Should be a nice, smaller event with some bands and food.
I've only had a few things from them, but it was a good excuse to take a weekend and go out to Montauk as well. Shame it'll be a bit chilly for the beach.

And I just learned that Bissell Brothers will be at a bar near my office tomorrow... going to be a busy weekend

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
This will be my first dark lord day. Whats the deal with the shares that go on there? What can I expect? I'm in group "D".

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Chicago peeps - anything worth tracking down at bottle shops while I'm in the city? Really just looking for anything new/interesting.

I'd check out the Off Color bottle shop if you can. They just bottled a coffee apex predator apparently? Also might have left over Space Tiger (funky farmhouse dry hopped with galaxy), Alfalfa Kang (OC's only IPA styled beer, a collab with 3Floyds), along with some super fresh regulars.
If you haven't tried it also grab a bottle of whichever Jungle Boogie is out now from Marz. Its a hoppy wheat with tea and they usually have some fruit. Tend to be very cool beers.
I haven't been to a bottle shop in like 3 weeks so I feel out of touch right now.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Off Color's Wari may still be around on certain shelves. Same with some of their big bottle releases, though a couple of those haven't been great.

Anything by Marz is worth a try, though the cost is usually high ($8 for 500ml pale ales). I quite enjoyed Mango Jungle Boogie but probably wouldn't pay the money again. Mikerphone has a dumb as gently caress name but have been good tries. Smells Like Bean Spirit may still be around? Big, sweet coffee stout with maple syrup.

If you hit The Beer Temple (and you always should), they're selling Central State's House, which I really liked when I had it on tap. They might have some Transient stuff too.

E:

https://twitter.com/TheBeerTemple/status/725781371138924544/photo/1

CW's Cassian Sunset looks... tight.

danbanana fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 28, 2016

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

(OC's only IPA styled beer, a collab with 3Floyds)

Word was that FFF was only involved in that they gave permission for the name. Wiseacre was the real collab.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

Word was that FFF was only involved in that they gave permission for the name. Wiseacre was the real collab.

Oh interesting.
Well either way we basically recommended the same stuff :P

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

danbanana posted:

That is correct. I believe that FFF having their name on it was because of a prior contact agreement. Apparently FFF wanted out of it. Off Color decided to brew a pale ale(first time ever for John Laffler) and collab with Wiseacre instead while still slapping on the FFF name in order to finish out the contract. FFF were contacting their lawyers in order to try and get OC to not have their name attached, but all the lawyers could do was stop it from being called Alfalfa King. OC changed it to Alfalfa Kang and added a bunch of Alpha King related art in order to annoy FFF. On the side it has Off Color, in collaboration with Wiseacre, and begrudgingly Three Floyds.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 28, 2016

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Fat Lou posted:

That is correct. I believe that FFF having their name on it was because of a prior contact agreement. Apparently FFF wanted out of it. Off Color decided to brew a pale ale(first time ever for John Laffler) and collab with Wiseacre instead while still slapping on the FFF name in order to finish out the contract. FFF were contacting their lawyers in order to try and get OC to not have their name attached, but all the lawyers could do was stop it from being called Alfalfa King. OC changed it to Alfalfa Kang and added a bunch of Alpha King related art in order to annoy FFF. On the side it has Off Color, in collaboration with Wiseacre, and begrudgingly Three Floyds.

This is a pretty awesome story and I love Off Color more for it.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

ChiTownEddie posted:

This is a pretty awesome story and I love Off Color more for it.

Yeah, when I heard all of that I bought a bottle because if there is one thing that will get me to buy a beer it is learning that it was brewed out of spite. It was an good beer with a heavy hay and grassy notes. The base beer reminded me a bit of 90s/early 00s IPAs with how malty and not super hop forward it was. Overall it was well rounded and the gimmick could have ruined it if done by a lesser company but instead it added to it nicely.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Oatsmobile is so loving bad, not that I expected much, but it's doubly a disappointment given Bell's hasn't come out with a new beer in a long time.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Slore Tactician posted:

This will be my first dark lord day. Whats the deal with the shares that go on there? What can I expect? I'm in group "D".

Either work on finding a group ahead of time or just wander up to people sharing and offer up what you've got. People are generally really friendly, especially if you make it clear you're not trying to just mooch. I'm in group C, PM me if you want to meet up or anything (same for any other goons in attendance)

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
I'm drinking that dumb Dogfish Head record store day beer since I wanted a tripel and it was the only one I could find. Unfortunately I'm getting some strong raw fish notes from it. Is my palate broken or is this a common off flavor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

I'm drinking that dumb Dogfish Head record store day beer since I wanted a tripel and it was the only one I could find. Unfortunately I'm getting some strong raw fish notes from it. Is my palate broken or is this a common off flavor?

I mean it's not a common off flavor, but Dogfish Head specializes in uncommon off flavors