Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I hope any dlc that comes, brings us time traveling shenanigans. I think this, so far is the only dark souls where there have been none of that. I also hope we get to see a drangleic connection. Would be really cool if we travel back in time, to the time Vendrick invaded the land of the giants (Anor Londo and upland) or right after and have us deal with the consequences. Possibly fight some of the daughters of Manus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
We already did that in the DLC of DS2 :v:. Those three queens were basically part of Manus. But point taken with time travel shenanigans, that is ok in my book.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Your Computer posted:

All I care about is that even "super linear :qq:" DS2 let me jump down a well, run to the Gulch, cheese some giants and go straight to the DLC to get the Puzzling Stone Sword early for a gimmick run.

That's the kind of stuff DS3 just won't let you do, all the fun gimmick stuff is locked behind 3/4 of the game. It's not much of a gimmick run if the only boss you get to use the gimmick on is the last boss :geno:

DS3 still loving awesome game though

i want to address this dumb post: you couldnt do what you describe when DS2 came out because there was no dlc

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Atreiden posted:

I hope any dlc that comes, brings us time traveling shenanigans. I think this, so far is the only dark souls where there have been none of that. I also hope we get to see a drangleic connection. Would be really cool if we travel back in time, to the time Vendrick invaded the land of the giants (Anor Londo and upland) or right after and have us deal with the consequences. Possibly fight some of the daughters of Manus

There's sort of some time travel shenanigans, or at least some very strange things involving parallel worlds, in Untended Graves.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

i want to address this dumb post: you couldnt do what you describe when DS2 came out because there was no dlc

yeah at least wait until the DLC comes out before you start complaining about what the DS3 DLC won't let you do lmao

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Here's how my NPC questlines went.

My Irina quest went really weird because I accidentally shot Eygon in the back when I first met him (he looked like a monster from the distance). It sent him relentlessly aggressive towards me (you might remember me complaining earlier how my progress was halted since he chased me all the way to Siegward elevator).

But then he never showed up in Firelink either. I haven't used any miracles in my game but I was able to buy whatever from Irina and she didn't mind. At some point I wanted resolution, went back to Undead settlement and killed Eygon (who never forgave that arrow in the back), after which Irina went all dark on me, and asked me to kill her after touching her with Morne gauntlets. I guess there were no happy ends for her.

Regarding Siegward: I was able to do the whole thing and have him help me with Yhorm. He didn't save Greirat, though, even though I thought I did everything correctly. However, I didn't have the encounter with Patches in Cathedral, but Siegward was in the well, and I had already met Patches in Firelink.

Anri: I'm currently working towards The lord of hollows ending. Did Anri's questline until I had to put a sword through his face. Still kinda confused on who exactly killed him and why and what was the purpose of the whole wedding. For me to get some more dark sigils?

Hawkwood is bugged or something, I'm already at the last place of the game and he's still sitting in Firelink going on and on about the undead leagion. Can't get him to move on with his quest at all.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

Good point.

e: thinking about it most of the fun gimmick stuff in DS2 was in the DLCs

scary ghost dog posted:

you complain a lot about problems that are your own fault

Nah, an arbitrary respec limit is pretty dumb.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Harrow posted:

There's sort of some time travel shenanigans, or at least some very strange things involving parallel worlds, in Untended Graves.

Something interesting I noticed is that you get the ring in the chest there from either place (I missed it in firelink the first time, and got it from the dark one) and the chest will be empty in the other one.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Your Computer posted:

Good point.

Just make a new character

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

He even has enough int+faith to use dark pyromancy? There's no possible way that poo poo is legitimate, the numbers flat out do not add up for the level range you say you're in. Hell he was even onehanding the FUGS during that 6 hit chain, so he'd have to have 50 strength on top of all that instead of just 34.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 28, 2016

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Azazell0 posted:

Here's how my NPC questlines went.

Anri: I'm currently working towards The lord of hollows ending. Did Anri's questline until I had to put a sword through his face. Still kinda confused on who exactly killed him and why and what was the purpose of the whole wedding. For me to get some more dark sigils?

They took the word marriage quite literally. :v:

Also to answer your question Dude who was waiting for you killed Anri. There are two ways this quest can end, either you kill him when he's hiding in the statue when you are that church bonfire to stop the marriage quest line or you don't do anything and he kills Anri which is needed to keep the marriage quest line going.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
I'm thinking of doing a bow only run and I'm wondering what this game's equivalent of DS's composite bow; i.e. the bow that shoots the fastest but has crap range.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

I'm thinking of doing a bow only run and I'm wondering what this game's equivalent of DS's composite bow; i.e. the bow that shoots the fastest but has crap range.

Once again, the Composite Bow. It has the same Rapid Fire weapon art that the Short Bow does. The Short Bow has slightly higher base damage but the Composite Bow has slightly better scaling.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Harrow posted:

Once again, the Composite Bow. It has the same Rapid Fire weapon art that the Short Bow does. The Short Bow has slightly higher base damage but the Composite Bow has slightly better scaling.

Composite Bow is pretty rad.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Shindragon posted:

We already did that in the DLC of DS2 :v:. Those three queens were basically part of Manus. But point taken with time travel shenanigans, that is ok in my book.

True and I don't want them to do DS II DLC again. But imho it could be fun to see Vendrick and Nashandra invade the land of the giants.

Harrow posted:

Oh yes there is definitely parallel worlds coming together in DS III and from different time periodes, that's why Anor Londo and the blades of the darkmoon exist at the same time as their heirs the blue sentinels (at least in my interpretation). And that's really cool, that Lothric is basically a land where pieces from the past and present are smashed together, but still forms a connected world.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Harrow posted:

The way I interpret it, UG is the real firelink that's ignored by the princes and the one used as the hub is a parallel version made by ludleth

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Good point.

e: thinking about it most of the fun gimmick stuff in DS2 was in the DLCs

youre right. you should only be allowed to respec at the beginning of ng+ cycles and the rebirth system should be for altering appearance exclusively

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Atreiden posted:

Oh yes there is definitely parallel worlds coming together in DS III and from different time periodes, that's why Anor Londo and the blades of the darkmoon exist at the same time as their heirs the blue sentinels (at least in my interpretation). And that's really cool, that Lothric is basically a land where pieces from the past and present are smashed together, but still forms a connected world.

it's kind of what I imagined Solaire was talking about when he said that time in lordran was shifting and illusive, except in Dark Souls it was meant to be an in-universe explanation for summoning

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Atreiden posted:

True and I don't want them to do DS II DLC again. But imho it could be fun to see Vendrick and Nashandra invade the land of the giants.

This is stated in the intro when Emma says, "Lothric, the place where the transitory lands of the Lords of Cinder converge."

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
http://i.imgur.com/nAoodJ0.webm

scary ghost dog posted:

youre right. you should only be allowed to respec at the beginning of ng+ cycles and the rebirth system should be for altering appearance exclusively

Being able to gently caress up your build and not respec was not the fun kind of difficulty DS1 is known for. (Being able to alter your appearance is loving awesome though)

ropa
Sep 7, 2006
so yeah poise does gently caress all

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
They literally use words like "roiling" and "shifting" to describe the land converging upon Lothric. I like the idea posited by ENB where the Lords fled their thrones to escape their fate, but the mythic magnetism of the First Flame cycle just draws their hidey-holes together regardless.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Your Computer posted:

Being able to gently caress up your build and not respec was not the fun kind of difficulty DS1 is known for. (Being able to alter your appearance is loving awesome though)

i am shocked, shocked i tell you that ornery Dark Souls players are incapable of distinguishing between difficulty and challenge

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Harrow posted:

Yeah, you're right. So can the Sunlight Straight Sword.

So there goes my attempts to figure out consistent rule for what you can and can't buff.

There are no consistent rules for weapons, everything about them is done basically by hand. Buffability is a single bit flag that is set individually on each weapon.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Your Computer posted:

I wasn't sure it was going to be a problem, but having a limit on 5 respecs sucks. :(

If you want to try out a different build and it doesn't quite work, that's 2 respecs. Since there's not a lot of data yet on different weapons and their scaling at different stats, I've experimented a bit with different weapons and stat combinations but now I feel like I'm stuck with my build. Why would they limit respecs, it's really dumb.

The 5 respecs are dumb, another thing dark souls 2 did right.

So many good changes just get ignored and removed.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ixjuvin posted:

They literally use words like "roiling" and "shifting" to describe the land converging upon Lothric. I like the idea posited by ENB where the Lords fled their thrones to escape their fate, but the mythic magnetism of the First Flame cycle just draws their hidey-holes together regardless.

Yes, indeed. It is called Lothric. Where the transitory lands of the Lords of Cinder converge.

I love that theory, and listening to the intro cinematic it does feel like that's what they're going for.

Tenzarin posted:

I still blame all the babies going "this isn't DS1 gently caress you Fromsoft :qq:".

ropa
Sep 7, 2006
You get 5 more each time you complete the game

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Tenzarin posted:

The 5 respecs are dumb, another thing dark souls 2 did right.

Wasn't ds2 respecing still limited by soul vessels?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

voltron lion force posted:

Wasn't ds2 repsecing still limited by soul vessels?

That's why complaining about limited respecs is really funny.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Vermain posted:

Again, as with flat damage reduction for elemental damage, I'm just blown away at the fact that they more-or-less pretended that DS2 didn't exist when developing this game mechanically and made the same loving goofy design errors as in DS1.

Let me put it this way.

The special effect data structure goes like this:

Phys Damage
Magic Damage
Fire Damage
Lightning Damage
Dark Dam-NOT SO FAST!

It's lifted from DS1 to the point where Dark Damage is nowhere near the rest, because Dark Damage was not in DS1.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wasn't ds2 repsecing still limited by soul vessels?

It was, but you could farm an infinite amount of them with some ingenuity. I think there were 8 you could get per playthrough without farming though. Not a perfect system, but still a better one than an arbitrary limit.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

This is stated in the intro when Emma says, "Lothric, the place where the transitory lands of the Lords of Cinder converge."

Yes exactly and it's supported by the Lothric banner that says the path to the undead settlement was cut of when the high wall appeared. We know from the intro and that, that Lothric is a land where severe lands converge, but anor londo and the dark moon sentinels show us it's also across time.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Your Computer posted:

Why would they limit respecs, it's really dumb.

Because they don't want people to respec to optimize for every new area, encounter, boss, etc

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Wasn't ds2 respecing still limited by soul vessels?

You could farm them with bonfire ascetics

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Your Computer posted:

It was, but you could farm an infinite amount of them with some ingenuity. I think there were 8 you could get per playthrough without farming though. Not a perfect system, but still a better one than an arbitrary limit.

You could just start a new cycle for another 5 each time

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Miyazaki seems to be one of those "builds should mean something and you should commit to them" people. See also: no respecs in Bloodborne.

That said I also feel like five respecs is probably enough? Although it's weird that it shares a limit with remaking your character's appearance, that's not a great idea. But also, I'm the kind of person who'd rather have multiple PvP characters than continually respec the same one for different PvP builds, and I can't imagine wanting to respec more than five times in one playthrough for PvE purposes, so maybe I'm just not the kind of person who needs it.

Your Computer posted:

I still blame all the babies going "this isn't DS1 gently caress you Fromsoft :qq:".

DS2 had some good ideas but I just can't make myself like it. I tried, I really did. I played all the way through before Bloodborne came out and had a good time but going back to it after Bloodborne and after replaying DS1, I just don't like how it feels to play and that undermines the whole thing for me. :shrug:

Also Adaptability was such a bad idea that it cancels out at least some of the good ideas DS2 had in my mind.

Your Computer posted:

With DLC, there are 11 Soul Vessels in DS2. And yeah, you can farm them with ascetics.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 28, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ixjuvin posted:

Aldrich, at least, had a go at devising a horrible alternative solution.

Edit: Also, re the romance plot, I have a theory. The Sable Church is actually quite serious about its weird little side goal of getting the Lord of Hollows hooked up with a spouse, but turns out Anri was a bit too heroic and idealistic to either be the Lord or, in point of fact, a really acceptable spouse. Fortunately, not only does sticking a sword in his head allow for a bit more consolidation of the Darksign, but remember what one of the side effects of dying as an undead is? That's right: loss of memory and personality. :zombie:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 28, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harrow posted:

But also, I'm the kind of person who'd rather have multiple PvP characters than continually respec the same one for different PvP builds, and I can't imagine wanting to respec more than five times in one playthrough for PvE purposes, so maybe I'm just not the kind of person who needs it.

It would be cool to have enough time to replay dark souls 3 20 times to create all these characters.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Atreiden posted:

Yes exactly and it's supported by the Lothric banner that says the path to the undead settlement was cut of when the high wall appeared. We know from the intro and that, that Lothric is a land where severe lands converge, but anor londo and the dark moon sentinels show us it's also across time.

The Dark Moon lady says that there aren't any dark moons left, though. She's just been chilling by herself, for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Miyazaki seems to be one of those "builds should mean something and you should commit to them" people. See also: no respecs in Bloodborne.

That said I also feel like five respecs is probably enough?
It's not that bad, yeah. You only really hit the limit if you want to experiment, but like I said I think that's a shame since a single failed build means 2 respecs (one to change it, one to revert it). It's still something you won't encounter much and it's a minor complaint for sure.

Atreiden posted:

Which honestly makes Pontiff even crazier. Presumably space itself started to shift and conjure up places of ages past/far away, Anor Londo either appearing near Irithyll or Irithyll being built around it. What does Mr. Pontiff do? Scour the place, find a god and proceed to imprison it for Aldrich to eat. Talk about making the most of a situation.