Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Okay, how the hell are you meant to break 170 Hits for a medal on Venom? Best I managed was in the 130's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Is it bad that I feel 1000 times more comfortable playing W101 then this right now?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Golden Goat posted:

Is it bad that I feel 1000 times more comfortable playing W101 then this right now?

it means you've played a lot of w101, an extremely good game, so no

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

...yes tons of W101. *sweats profusely*

Gamepad wise how are people holding it for aiming and how does everybody split their attention between the two screens for each gameplay type?

This is weird but is there any way to remove the larger/closer targeting box? Focusing on the smaller/further box is helping my aim but the other ones distracting.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I hold the pad pretty much flat and just switch views with - if I have to. In the Arwing sections I pretty much never switch views or look at the gamepad. The only exception is in demanding fights where it's advantageous to see both perspectives (i.e. Aquarosa).

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay, how the hell are you meant to break 170 Hits for a medal on Venom? Best I managed was in the 130's.

Kill star wolf fast for 4 +30s, kill andross fast for a +30, then u-turn after you pass star dad during the escape and shoot andross in the back for a +10.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evil Eagle posted:

Kill star wolf fast for 4 +30s, kill andross fast for a +30, then u-turn after you pass star dad during the escape and shoot andross in the back for a +10.

I figured out the last one, I think I was missing killing Andross fast enough. That last bit took a moment for me to figure out that, oh yeah, I'm still in All-Range Mode!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I figured out the last one, I think I was missing killing Andross fast enough. That last bit took a moment for me to figure out that, oh yeah, I'm still in All-Range Mode!

It was really cool to find but I was hoping that it led to an alternate andross or something.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Timing it never seemed to work so I just started spamming it and had more success. A single barrel roll doesn't even look like it'd get you far enough.

...Yeah, you need a good three or four. You have to start dodging while he's still holding his hand over you, if he's already started drawing it back it's too late. Also, dodge to the side that doesn't have the thumb.

Honestly, you have all the time in the world to get out of the way of that attack. Just resist the urge to stand there shooting at him like a doofus and you'll be fine.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So based on feedback from this thread, I have determined that it's both exactly like Star Fox 64 and also absolutely nothing like Star Fox 64. Although I have noticed that everyone says that its different also sucks at the game. Like, just embarrassingly bad. Being beaten by your little cousin bad. Its even better when you give them suggestions and then they claim to have already done all of your suggestions.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Autonomous Monster posted:

...Yeah, you need a good three or four. You have to start dodging while he's still holding his hand over you, if he's already started drawing it back it's too late. Also, dodge to the side that doesn't have the thumb.

Honestly, you have all the time in the world to get out of the way of that attack. Just resist the urge to stand there shooting at him like a doofus and you'll be fine.

And if you're really having trouble, just turn the walker and boost away. For the two-handed slap, a good way to dodge it is by just transforming and flying under him to the other side of the arena.

Edit: additionally, you have bombs. If you hit a hand with an open weakpoint with a bomb, you'll cancel him out of the attack.

XavierGenisi fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 28, 2016

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Autonomous Monster posted:

I found that if I made a move to dodge as soon as I saw the hand move back I could get out of the way with a couple rolls, you just don't want to be trying to do it when he's all the way back. Really out of all the attacks he did that was the easiest for me to dodge. the one that really sucked to me was the tractor beam one that I could really only get out of with bombs after he uses it any more times than once. I don't know if it's just my aim was garbage or if he just progressively takes more and more hits to knock him out of that attack.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So based on feedback from this thread, I have determined that it's both exactly like Star Fox 64 and also absolutely nothing like Star Fox 64. Although I have noticed that everyone says that its different also sucks at the game. Like, just embarrassingly bad. Being beaten by your little cousin bad. Its even better when you give them suggestions and then they claim to have already done all of your suggestions.

Also that Star Fox has never been about gimmicks except for the part where almost every game in the series has had some sort of gimmick (Super FX (SNES), Rumble Pak (64), planned arcade tie-in with Namco (Assault), and the worst case of forced touch controls ever devised (Command)).

Really anyone who thinks that Zero is the worst thing ever should go play Command. Zero's controls are not perfect and the game itself is probably an 8/10 at best (and a 7/10 for most people) but Command is just...well you'll understand why it took almost a decade to get a new Star Fox.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Does Sector Gamma have an alt route? The game wont let me fly into the portal

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Angry_Ed posted:

Really anyone who thinks that Zero is the worst thing ever should go play Command. Zero's controls are not perfect and the game itself is probably an 8/10 at best (and a 7/10 for most people) but Command is just...well you'll understand why it took almost a decade to get a new Star Fox.

Command isn't really that hard to control...

I mean like, it isn't the best case of touch controls, mostly due to the split between boost/brake being undefined, but outside of the occasional mixup there it really isn't that bad.

vvvvvvvvv Oh yeah, completely agree'd on that point

Ventana fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 28, 2016

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ventana posted:

Command isn't really that hard to control...

I mean like, it isn't the best case of touch controls, mostly due to the split between boost/brake being undefined, but outside of the occasional mixup there it really isn't that bad.

It's not hard to control, any more than Phantom Hourglass is hard to control. The touch control is just completely unnecessary. It would have been just as easy, and probably even easier, to control with actual buttons. And a lot less frustrating and hand-crampy.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Angry_Ed posted:

the one that really sucked to me was the tractor beam one that I could really only get out of with bombs after he uses it any more times than once. I don't know if it's just my aim was garbage or if he just progressively takes more and more hits to knock him out of that attack.

Oh yeah that one ended up getting me too on my last life. When I went into the room I immediately transformed into an Arwing to try and get the laser pickup that spawns in there after one hand is gone, and the tractor beam got me from behind halfway to it and I couldn't even get myself aimed at his hand before it grabbed me and threw me against the wall. The whole fight seems like it would have been a lot easier if I'd just known what I was doing when I had the full laser upgrade, but the first time I went in I somehow didn't notice that the game had automatically transformed me into the walker and tried fighting him with the Arwing since that's how you've always fought Andross.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

It's not hard to control, any more than Phantom Hourglass is hard to control. The touch control is just completely unnecessary. It would have been just as easy, and probably even easier, to control with actual buttons. And a lot less frustrating and hand-crampy.

Yeah it was really more that there was no reason for the controls to be like that, and that there wasn't even an option to do it with D-pad and buttons (which, unlike Zero, could be feasibly done).

EDIT

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Oh yeah that one ended up getting me too on my last life. When I went into the room I immediately transformed into an Arwing to try and get the laser pickup that spawns in there after one hand is gone, and the tractor beam got me from behind halfway to it and I couldn't even get myself aimed at his hand before it grabbed me and threw me against the wall. The whole fight seems like it would have been a lot easier if I'd just known what I was doing when I had the full laser upgrade, but the first time I went in I somehow didn't notice that the game had automatically transformed me into the walker and tried fighting him with the Arwing since that's how you've always fought Andross.

Admittedly the game is not super great at explaining things at times but I think that's part of the risk you take playing a made (at least partially) by Platinum, who just love to hide mechanics and not tell you about them. I even had to look at a guide to figure out what to do to Andross after stunning him because it's like...ok now what?

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 28, 2016

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Timing it never seemed to work so I just started spamming it and had more success. A single barrel roll doesn't even look like it'd get you far enough.

I've actually had more success boosting forward under it.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Angry_Ed posted:

Admittedly the game is not super great at explaining things at times but I think that's part of the risk you take playing a made (at least partially) by Platinum, who just love to hide mechanics and not tell you about them. I even had to look at a guide to figure out what to do to Andross after stunning him because it's like...ok now what?

There's definitely stuff that isn't clear, at first I wasn't even sure if hitting his hands was doing anything because I wasn't hitting them enough to stop his attacks. I've beaten every game Platinum's made at least once though and love their stuff, so I'm gonna definitely play more of this game. It feels a lot more like Nintendo forcing gimmicks than Platinum hiding mechanics though.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I still dispute that the transformation is a forced gimmick because there's definitely tactical advantages to using it outside of being told to, and it definitely helps with a lot of boss fights (Gigarilla, Andross, the Star Wolf fight on Venom are three good examples where swapping between Arwing and Walker definitely helps). It's definitely difficult to get a hang of but I started getting really into it once I started to get better at that aspect.

Really the only part where I felt the transformation was forced was on Fuchina where you have to swap between Landmaster and Gravmaster in order to shoot those spider robots that flip over after taking some damage. However this can also be bypassed by just using the Landmaster's hover and lock-on to hit them when their weak point is topside.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 28, 2016

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Oh no I definitely like the chicken walker as an element of the game, I liked it in Star Fox 2 and I like it here too. I find the controls a bit confusing still but it's just from not using it enough. I'm mainly talking about other stuff like the constant use of the lock-on view that forces you to look at the GamePad, and the stupid gyrocopter that doesn't fit in with the flow of a Star Fox game at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, "forced gimmick" doesn't fit with the walker at all. It's a viable and reliable too in your arsenal and learning how to master it and when to transform/untransform helps a lot.

The Gyrocopter sucks though. It's just so frigging slow.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

TechnoSyndrome posted:

lmao are you kidding me. what percentage of the game actually resembles star fox instead of gimmicky bullshit.

This game is starfox to hell. What are you smoking

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also I don't understand the gamepad complaint since you can switch to cockpit view by pressing - thereby effectively removing any effort on your eyes and head to look down

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

bef posted:

Also I don't understand the gamepad complaint since you can switch to cockpit view by pressing - thereby effectively removing any effort on your eyes and head to look down

I didn't even know this, so maybe the game should had said that during one of the twelve million times it had the characters yell at me to use the cockpit view.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I didn't even know this, so maybe the game should had said that during one of the twelve million times it had the characters yell at me to use the cockpit view.

IIRC it's literally something the game mentions during the tutorial and is also mentioned on the controls.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

TechnoSyndrome posted:

In case you didn't know, the Minus button is the standard "switch to Gamepad mode" button for Wii U games, which will do all manner of things such as move the gameplay to the Gamepad and swap the TV and Gamepad views depending on the game.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Even video game masters play beginning tutorials

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Does Sector Gamma have an alt route? The game wont let me fly into the portal

The portal on the map is the portal in the mission :v: There is no other route.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

bef posted:

Even video game masters play beginning tutorials

I did all of the tutorial stuff. If they mentioned it they said it once and I quickly forgot. I tried this in the Andross fight to get inside his glass tube but found it way more confusing than looking up and down from the GamePad anyway.

I beat Andross by the way. Still a bad fight.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I did all of the tutorial stuff. If they mentioned it they said it once and I quickly forgot. I tried this in the Andross fight to get inside his glass tube but found it way more confusing than looking up and down from the GamePad anyway.

I beat Andross by the way. Still a bad fight.

The real way to play the game is by pressing the Minus button as often as you recalibrate. You should be switching between Cockpit and regular view every 5 seconds. My brain is constantly being wacked visually and handfully. Your cockpit views and angles are probably completely borked but drat if you aren't get those far-reaching shots in. I haven't beat Andross yet, i went to bed after i died 3 times.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Angry_Ed posted:

Really the only part where I felt the transformation was forced was on Fuchina where you have to swap between Landmaster and Gravmaster in order to shoot those spider robots that flip over after taking some damage. However this can also be bypassed by just using the Landmaster's hover and lock-on to hit them when their weak point is topside.

You don't have to do either of those things to take out the spiders in a Landmaster. You can just charge a missile, lock-on, and then point your cannon up and release to curve your missile.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Fair enough, I was just having more success using the hover to hit them from above when needed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, "forced gimmick" doesn't fit with the walker at all. It's a viable and reliable too in your arsenal and learning how to master it and when to transform/untransform helps a lot.

The Gyrocopter sucks though. It's just so frigging slow.

Yeah I expected I was going to hate the Gyrocopter when I first saw it in trailers, fortunatly though you only have to use it twice in the whole game. And honestly I don't even bother with the two screens most of the time, I just stick with either the TV or the Gamepad and swirch viewpoints with "-" when necessary.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 28, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Finally got the free time to pick it up and try it out, enjoying it a lot so far despite all the vicious criticism. Lots of throwbacks to N64 make me :) "You're becoming more like your father" from Peppy

The controls in general I actually like, feels like flying normal star fox both in 1st and 3rd person at the same time, which is what they were going for. And you have a bit more control, feels more like a plane. But the problem is sometimes they let you press LR to lock on when you want, but other times it just forces you to lock-on, meaning flying using the TV is nearly impossible and you just have to use the gamepad, which is dumb.

Also enemies like the tanks that force you to use the gamepad to hit them, dumb. They should have just designed it so you can play either way.

Still, doesn't seem as bad as everybody was making it out to be. But whatever, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Gamepad wise how are people holding it for aiming and how does everybody split their attention between the two screens for each gameplay type?

The game controls quite similarly to Star Fox 64 Lylat Wars but with the gamepad for fine tuning, so for on rails sections I tend to hold the game pad and use it like a normal controller, occasionally re-calibrating. I've found I can play the on rails section just fine this way and only need to tilt the game pad slightly to quickly aim at targets not quite in view of my target reticle. I only really use the game pad for the free roam sections and even then its only for some of the free roam battles I feel I need to use the gamepad.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

The game controls quite similarly to Star Fox 64 Lylat Wars but with the gamepad for fine tuning, so for on rails sections I tend to hold the game pad and use it like a normal controller, occasionally re-calibrating. I've found I can play the on rails section just fine this way and only need to tilt the game pad slightly to quickly aim at targets not quite in view of my target reticle. I only really use the game pad for the free roam sections and even then its only for some of the free roam battles I feel I need to use the gamepad.

I do basically this, but switch the TV to cockpit view during the free roam sections and mostly ignore the gamepad screen.

The only times I actually look at the gamepad screen is during dogfights. I'll lock on and briefly glance down to find out where the enemy is when they're not in front of me.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I really want to like this game, but the motion controls are just annoying enough to keep bothering me. It's like they really wanted to have VR or head tracking instead of being stuck with the gamepad, and it could work so much better if it worked like that.

Also, is it me or is the trick to the landmaster bosses just to switch to cockpit view and constantly roll left/right instead of ever driving forwards?

And gently caress Aquarosa, that drat shield comes up far too often and the lasers sometimes just decide "gently caress you I'm gonna hit you no matter what" :argh:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Sitting on 61/70 medals I'm super used to the controls but in this case:

Icedude posted:

Also, is it me or is the trick to the landmaster bosses just to switch to cockpit view and constantly roll left/right instead of ever driving forwards?

And gently caress Aquarosa, that drat shield comes up far too often and the lasers sometimes just decide "gently caress you I'm gonna hit you no matter what" :argh:

You should be moving around these bosses. In the Landmaster, drive in a circle around the thing and look and shoot to your left/right. For Aquarosa, circle it so that the lasers never have a clear shot at you, aim sideways and shoot non-stop. You can totally get six out of the nine guns in one pass (eventually).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay so having beaten it, loved it for a bit and then played some more.

It's just not as good as 64. It has more content and is prettier but I just don't enjoy it as much. The alternate paths feel so inconsequential in this game and don't reward you for taking them. They're all also just so easy to do that it's not rewarding from a skill perspective when you get them. Like I enjoyed what I played but I feel absolutely no reason to go back and get anything apart from maybe the hitcount medals. Further, there's no point in the game where I felt legitimately excited to be playing, there's nothing like Area 6 or the insanity that is Venom 1. In fact most of the levels feel really forgettable and just don't have the character that Macbeth or Zoness do. That half the levels don't have real boss fights is also pretty sad.

I feel like the game should have aimed for more simplicity. It would have been sufficient to have a 64 style path from Corneria to Venom, but perhaps fit in a 4 planet split in the middle?

• Locked thread