Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

anilEhilated posted:

Is that ICE? I thought it was in TtH.

It is. It was the blacksmith guy's retard buddy after there was a drinking contest if I remember right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm hopefully going to finish RG this weekend (got a couple of flights to read on). I was planning on going for a completionist run and reading all the ICE books too, but I, uh, might just skip them. Unless Return of the Crimson Guard is actually worth reading, I might just look at a summary.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I read them on my first read of the series and thought they were mostly okay. Night of Knives isn't good but it's also really short. Assail was the only one I couldn't find anything to like in. I think they get a bad rap in the thread. They aren't brilliant by any means, but if you're already a fan of Erikson's books and the setting it would probably be worth it for you.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

cptn_dr posted:

I'm hopefully going to finish RG this weekend (got a couple of flights to read on). I was planning on going for a completionist run and reading all the ICE books too, but I, uh, might just skip them. Unless Return of the Crimson Guard is actually worth reading, I might just look at a summary.
I still maintain that RotCG and Stonewielder are pretty good. Obviously nowhere near Erikson's level but perfectly readable. OST is kind of weird and delivers really underwhelming solutions to setup in TtH - and BnB and Assail are complete snorefests which in itself is kind of amazing given they take place in what was before regarded as some of the most interesting parts of that world.

Hell, BnB makes Kallor boring.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 21, 2016

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
There are some major events in RotCG that affect every subsequent Malazan book, so I'd say it's required reading. The rest of ICE's books, not so much, though I haven't checked out Dancer's Lament yet.

I'll have to step up my re-read if Fall Of Light is actually dropping for real this time.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I know what I said about RG being more grim than previous books, but there's so much genuine joy in the scenes with resurrected Onrack. I love it.

Now to wait and see Erikson break my heart again, I guess.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
I'm about halfway through Dancer's Lament and I think it's pretty good so far. All the action is in one city, Li Heng, which is under siege, so it has a less expansive feel - a bit more like the Darujhistan section of GotM. Dancer is the main character (unsurprisingly) but there's a couple fun cameos from other established characters. It also mentions the events of the Kharkanas books, which threw me since none of the other "modern" books do in anything other than a mythological sense.

My main complaint is that it's a bit like the Star Wars prequels in the sense that we know Dancer is going to end up as a badass, so there's not any mystery in seeing him as a young cocky guy who screws up sometimes.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Is there a more up-to-date version of the recommended order to read ICE's books in? I'm aware they aren't nearly as good as Erikson's, but I feel like making a completionist run of them all.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

Captain_Person posted:

Is there a more up-to-date version of the recommended order to read ICE's books in?

Do you mean just ICE's books or Erikson and ICE altogether? ICE's series is published in chronological order, excepting Dancer's Lament and its sequels when they're published.
This wiki has some reading order options for a combined run and is updated with the newer books.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Leospeare posted:

Do you mean just ICE's books or Erikson and ICE altogether? ICE's series is published in chronological order, excepting Dancer's Lament and its sequels when they're published.
This wiki has some reading order options for a combined run and is updated with the newer books.

That's more or less what I was looking for, thanks! I'm probably going to skip the Bauchelain and Broach books though, at least for now.

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

I know what I said about RG being more grim than previous books, but there's so much genuine joy in the scenes with resurrected Onrack. I love it.

It will happen soon, and it will loving hurt :smith:

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Captain_Person posted:

That's more or less what I was looking for, thanks! I'm probably going to skip the Bauchelain and Broach books though, at least for now.

While they aren't really necessary to the story, they are pretty fun reads and very short. Definitely read them at some point.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

hahahaha

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Captain_Person posted:

You owe it to yourself to read at least Crack'd Pot Trail.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

cptn_dr posted:

This gone be good. :twisted:

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

cptn_dr posted:

Oh god... :smith:

e: also, I agree about RG being grim... [Whole series, really] at least, until Dust of Dreams.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 22, 2016

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

Just finished House of Chains. gently caress, Karsa taking out the Deragoth was badass. As was Fiddler's scorpion fight. And hell, half the book was badass.

Definitely got blindsided by the gods of the Teblor and the Whirlwind Goddess being T'lan Imass, and that the Whirlwind Goddess was Onrack's mate. Thinking back, Erikson set those reveals up well in advance. Nice to see Kilava get a mention again too.

And the Bridgeburners have Ascended! Looking forward to seeing what exactly that means as I plow through the rest of the series.

Definitely aboard the 'Karsa loving Owns' train now. Diving straight into Midnight Tides now.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Strap in, buddy, you've still got a long way to go and it's awesome.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Okay, before Sadness hits, time for a quick theory - the Jaghut sitting in the Throne of Ice in Omtose Phellack is Hood. I don't have a lot of evidence for it, just a feeling, but my feelings have been right before.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My copy of Fall of Light just shipped from Amazon. I have Tuesday off work too :getin:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Well, I finished Reaper's Gale. I kinda feel like I need to go off, sit down and just cry a little bit. Oh god, it all hurt so much.

That ending was... certainly something.

I'm super glad my predictions about Onrack losing everything didn't come true, though Trull dying was just as bad. But at least Onrack now has a home, a wife, a son and is happy, even if his best friend is dead. .
Other things that I feel like I need to mention are
-Fiddler shooting Silchas Ruin with a cusser. "loving dragons" indeed.
- Beak dying, but being reunited with his brother and remembered as a hero by everyone else :unsmith:
-And finally, EMPEROR TEHOL and Bugg beating up the Errant.

Oh, and Karsa. Everything about Karsa. How do these books just keep being so astoundingly good? On another note, I bought Forge of Darkness this weekend as well, so I can move straight onto that once I'm done with the main series.

Edit: I forgot to mention Hellian, who is also the best.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 25, 2016

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I've now finished Dancer's Lament. It's pretty good, probably ICE's best so far (although I haven't read all of them yet).

As I mentioned earlier it is quite a bit more restrictive than other Malazan books, in the sense that there's only one major location and three main viewpoint characters. In this respect it's most similar to Night of Knives, but quality-wise it's better all-around, as you'd expect with several books and years in between them.

It started slow and picked up steam about midway through, so standard Malazan plotting there. Actually, just after I posted earlier with my halfway-through thoughts, it really picked up steam because Dorin (Dancer) and Wu (Kellanved) actually started working together, rather than just glimpsing each other occasionally, and Dancer's scenes got a lot more fun. Young Kellanved is not nearly as cranky and grouchy as Old Kellanved, but he's just as insane. Plus, the second half had some great cameos/easter eggs - Baudin! The Secret Origin of the Talon! Edgewalker, I think!

This book's events predate the early Dancer and Kellanved stories we already know a bit about (the bar on Malaz Island with Surly and Dujek and the rest of the Old Guard, starting the Empire, etc) and it will be interesting to see if we get any of those stories in this series, or if it ends just before.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm about halfway through; so far it's surprisingly inoffensive. You know how all the major players are going to end up from either Erikson or RotCG, but there are some nice twists and turns.
Two things - I don't recall if we know what exactly happened to Kurald Emurlahn so it shattered?
And I'm again being confused by the inconsistencies about Ryllandaras. ICE follows the RotCG where he's an old Soletaken (who will end up imprisoned in Li Heng by the time RotCG happens) but I could've sworn I remember him being a D'Ivers who gets his collective rear end kicked by Icarium and Mappo somewhere down the line.

Also I wish ICE realized no one ikes the loving Crimson Guard so he can stop putting them into everything. So far they've been completely pointless.

e: Things I like: the irony of Kellanved and Dancer being chased by a Hound of Shadow, seeing more of Nightchill since Erikson unceremoniously killed her off in book 1 and then told us she was important, young Kellanved's talent of annoying the hell out of people, most of the cameos (except for the pointless-seeming Gothos and the Errant, because gently caress him), a sapper utterly :iceburn:ing Silk, Dancer being an insufferably arrogant little poo poo.

Things I dislike: every POV character that's not Dancer, the fact the book reads like a checklist novel (it's Malazan, so it has to have: assassins fighting on rooftops, a siege, some monsters, unexplained warren travel, gods spouting ominous nonsense, soldiers philosphising...), the presence of the Crimson Guard.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 26, 2016

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

most of the cameos (except for the pointless-seeming Gothos and the Errant, because gently caress him),
Where was the second cameo at? I don't remember him showing up.

quote:

the presence of the Crimson Guard.
It had been so long since I read RotCG that I didn't even realise how many of its characters were in this book. Though I admit I did like the scenes we got of the pre-vow Guard, which portrayed them as a bunch of bored assholes who just show up to sieges for the hell of it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

So yeah, got my copy of Fall of Light. Going to try and take this one slow, provided I don't accidentally stay up until 4 in the morning reading.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Leospeare posted:

Where was the second cameo at? I don't remember him showing up.
He very briefly shows up in the scene where we're "introduced" to Nightchill. Again, it feels pointless, just a cameo for cameo's sake.

Speaking of cameos, yay Baudin - although it's probably the father of that particular badass, I remember some remark that they both were in the Talon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I completely forgot the date of fall of lights release and could have been reading it in the 12 hours i spent in a car this weekend :ughh:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Ninth Layer posted:

So yeah, got my copy of Fall of Light. Going to try and take this one slow, provided I don't accidentally stay up until 4 in the morning reading.

I'm gonna re-read Forge of Darkness first, so I probably won't get to Fall for another month.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

no one ikes the loving Crimson Guard

They were amazing in MT, don't hate. Also in GOTM.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
I recently started the first book in the series for the first time ever, and holy poo poo, it has sucked me in. Erikson has an amazing grasp of prose.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Finished Dancer's Lament - is it just me or did that book just not have any sort of escalation or climax? There's no buildup and the whole situation is solved by a flash of light. I know ICE isn't good at tension but this was probably his least engaging book yet; even BnB ends on some sort of a convergence.

edit: Credit where it's due, though: I think ICE broke the world record for the revelation the least people give a gently caress about with Iko's identity.

turboraton posted:

They were amazing in MT, don't hate. Also in GOTM.
See I thought that and then I read Assail and Iron Bars is dead to me forevermore.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 28, 2016

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

AmericanGeeksta posted:

I recently started the first book in the series for the first time ever, and holy poo poo, it has sucked me in. Erikson has an amazing grasp of prose.

That's not a common compliment that the first book gets haha. But if you're already hooked then settle in, the series only gets better.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

anilEhilated posted:

See I thought that and then I read Assail and Iron Bars is dead to me forevermore.

Bars. Iron Bars.

I still like Erikson's Iron Bars and pretend that's the only time he exists.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i still can't believe he called a character kyle

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Jose posted:

i still can't believe he called a character kyle

This is the first thing that stopped me from getting past chapter two of RotCG. The other thing was how he was writing Traveller. I gave up in disgust not long after he was introduced. Maybe I'll go back and read it later on, once I run out of other Malazan to scratch the itch.

On that note, I started Toll The Hounds this morning. The Dramatis Personae is pretty impressive, and I'm looking forward to seeing Anomander again. Hopefully he'll kick Clip in the teeth.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

cptn_dr posted:

On that note, I started Toll The Hounds this morning. The Dramatis Personae is pretty impressive, and I'm looking forward to seeing Anomander again. Hopefully he'll kick Clip in the teeth.

:allears:

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

anilEhilated posted:

And I'm again being confused by the inconsistencies about Ryllandaras. ICE follows the RotCG where he's an old Soletaken (who will end up imprisoned in Li Heng by the time RotCG happens) but I could've sworn I remember him being a D'Ivers who gets his collective rear end kicked by Icarium and Mappo somewhere down the line.
I'm in the middle of a MoI re-read, and I just finished the chapter where Toc finds himself in the dying Treach's mind. There are a lot of interesting bits of information in Treach's musings about his past, including a description of Ryllandaras:

MoI page 314 posted:

He had gone the farthest, found a way to control the gifts- Soletaken and D'ivers both. White Jackal. Ay'tog. Agkor.
So maybe Ryllandaras is a Soletaken and also a D'ivers, or maybe the Jackal that we see in RotCG is a "piece" of the D'ivers that was cut off and developed an independent identity. I can't find the exact quote, but I know there's another mention of Ryllandaras that talks about him somehow defeating the "madness" of the D'ivers, so maybe the wolf D'ivers form that we see in DG is the "sane" part of Ryllandaras, and the Jackal is the insane part that was cast out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i don't know if this really counts as a spoiler since its before you start the book but either i'm blind or someone fairly major is missing from the fall of light dramatis personae

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

I really enjoyed Fall of Light, but hoo boy, there are a lot of characters walking around explicitly discussing the themes and symbolism in the novel.

I was a bit surprised when Serap got her head cut off, considering that somebody named Serap Issgin married Kallor and killed herself in a flashback in TCG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I have zero interest in ICEs books and will never read them. Fan fiction afaic