Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

gonadic io posted:

A contains our view of the world based on user actions, and B gets populated daily by csvs from banks. It's quite important that we check each day that we haven't lost any customer's money, the FCA are sticklers about that.

I've moved the filtering into mysql, will suggest that we move from mysql (lol), and if we need it much faster I think the next step is to dump table partitions as binary. Maybe.

ty for your help all

you should eliminate B and have the transactions from the banks loaded into A. the transactions from the banks and the users should look identical aside from type/source data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

you should eliminate B and have the transactions from the banks loaded into A. the transactions from the banks and the users should look identical aside from type/source data.

assuming A is the production database that makes you money, don't do this. you want to be backing up/streaming A to a non-production analytics database where you are also uploading the fca junk. run your batch queries against that.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if the stuff coming from the banks is transactional data that affects users need to see then it belongs in A.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
they said the result of this is an (internal?) email that comes out of a batch operation, which guessing from the release of the fca data happens daily.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Users see data from A, which we maintain as the user clicks "buy this" or whatever.

We just need to investigate if the bank either has information we don't have or vice versa. This goes out internally.

The worst part is that these two dbs are actually on the same server but it's a different one to the one that the services are on.

Having B be the only system that cares about individual banks and present a unified view is really nice and A is already big enough without putting all of that poo poo in. Microservices!!1

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shaggar posted:

also in vs 15 you can generate rest clients from swagger. goddamn swagger is good at this poo poo.

swagger was right

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Looking at swagger right now... never heard of this... is it a viable replacement for Enterprise Library's Web Service Software Factory? Because if so, I need to inform some former co-workers.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
swagger is really 2 things. 1 is a standard for rest service definitions. basically a wsdl for rest. 2 is a basic client that can grab that service definition file and generate a test client for all the endpoints.

if you're using webapi like you're supposed to you can install swashbuckle from nuget and it will automatically generate the swagger definition from your services including documentation from xmldoc.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Why is swagger better/different from WADL?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shaggar posted:

there is json schema now, but its external so you basically have to know what schema you want to enforce because you cant read it from the file. its supported in vs 2015+. also maybe 2013.

also in vs 15 you can generate rest clients from swagger. goddamn Microsoft is good at this poo poo.

Is that the Azure API Apps Tools for Visual Studio?

I've been using Swagger for a year and its all in bits and pieces, Google even takes pieces in their pretty nice API Explorer dev site.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

more like dICK posted:

Why is swagger better/different from WADL?

they're functionally similar but swagger has wider adoption. that's about it.

MrMoo posted:

Is that the Azure API Apps Tools for Visual Studio?

I've been using Swagger for a year and its all in bits and pieces, Google even takes pieces in their pretty nice API Explorer dev site.

yeah looks like it. ive never used it but that looks the same. I wonder if they're going to put whatever generates the API definition for azure into webapi in asp.net core cause afaik its not in asp.net 4.6 (which is why you have to use swashbuckle).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

okay ada is starting to make some sense to me i guess

subtypes seem very powerful! you can define an integer type with bounds and then subtypes of it with more stringent bounds

code:
   type Card is range 1 .. 52;
   subtype CardRank is Card range 1 .. 13;

--Rank -> Integer subtypes
   subtype RankNumber   is CardRank range 2 .. 10;
   subtype RankJack     is CardRank range 11 .. 11;
   subtype RankQueen    is CardRank range 12 .. 12;
   subtype RankKing     is CardRank range 13 .. 13;
   subtype RankAce      is CardRank range 1 .. 1;
and then you can use the subtypes in conditional statements!

code:
function CardToRank(x : in Card) return Character is
   begin
      case x is
         when RankNumber   => return Character'Val(x);
         when RankJack     => return 'J';
         when RankQueen    => return 'Q';
         when RankKing     => return 'K';
         when RankAce      => return 'A';
         when others       => return '?';
      end case;
   end CardToRank;
cool

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
does that mean that it will implicitly coerce to those as needed?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bloody posted:

i wish json had a schema so i could generate all of my types from it

There's an f# thing which generates types from json samples

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

pointsofdata posted:

f# type providers are one of those things that i've always wanted to have an excuse to use

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

pointsofdata posted:

ooooh interesting! I've wanted to futz with f# but last time I tried I had no idea what the functional was going on but since then I learned me a haskell so maybe now it's easy

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bloody posted:

ooooh interesting! I've wanted to futz with f# but last time I tried I had no idea what the functional was going on but since then I learned me a haskell so maybe now it's easy

once you get used to the syntax it'll be fine. no type classes, no records in ADTs (iirc you either have ADTs with no named fields, or record structs which don't have options), and it's generally strict except when you start using IEnumerate or whatever

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

does that mean that it will implicitly coerce to those as needed?

yes, you can pass a parent type to a function that expects a subtype and it will error out if it doesn't fit the constraint.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh hey https://hackage.haskell.org/package/json-autotype :toot:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

I like that it statically produces hs source files, I was having horrified visions of template haskell automatically producing these types at compile time which would be impossible to debug

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Luigi Thirty posted:

code:
   type Card is range 1 .. 52;

this is bothering me, not sure why

also can you do suits as another subtype?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
also I totally forgot about this thread, I have 100 pages to catch up, did I miss anything special?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Symbolic Butt posted:

also I totally forgot about this thread, I have 100 pages to catch up, did I miss anything special?

Shaggar shaggering
Terrible programmers programming terribly
Bloody learned haskell
Maybe some people got some programming help?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

gonadic io posted:

Shaggar shaggering
Bloody learned haskell

#3 happened so #4 definitely happened

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

this is bothering me, not sure why

also can you do suits as another subtype?

things are 1-indexed in Ada

I could declare another set of 4 subtypes that correspond to each group of 13 cards, create a function that takes a Card, checks which suit subtype it is and returns a letter to write to my display buffer. the object is always a Card, but it can also be one or more subtypes.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i think i have a reason to use go

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

sorry for your loss

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

maybe you should go out of this thread lmao

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

gonadic io posted:

Shaggar shaggering
Bloody learned haskell

Speaking of #4 haven't seen HoboMan in a while... hopefully he is okay and didn't commit seppuku via asp/vbscript

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

This database has a column foreign keyed with itself. What?

PS: Has anyone here had to model/map a DB they aren't familiar with? I would appreciate any sage advice I could get.

PPS: no, not dead

PPPs: on #4 I did, in fact, read a book

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 28, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Eve Online's data export has a column keyed to itself in a table of item groups so queries can get the parent group from the child group

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's a pretty reasonable thing to do if you need to represent a tree structure in your database.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

no but like there's not a separate fk column in this table. the fk is the pk and vice versa. i can't think of a way this is useful.

i am not happy about this assignment. i want to talk to our dba about what i think are problems, but i've been asked to do this to let management know how much of a fuckup our dba is so i don't think i'm supposed to. i don't know how long they've been working here but i do know this db was originally made in ms access by a support tech from some other nosql db software we have so i'd like to cut our dba some slack, but it looks like literally the only fk in the entire database is that one column which is also it's pk and half these tables don't even have pks.

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 28, 2016

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

most dbas are fuckups

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

HoboMan posted:

no but like there's not a separate fk column in this table. the fk is the pk and vice versa. i can't think of a way this is useful.

i am not happy about this assignment. i want to talk to our dba about what i think are problems, but i've been asked to do this to let management know how much of a fuckup our dba is so i don't think i'm supposed to. i don't know how long they've been working here but i do know this db was originally made in ms access by a support tech from some other nosql db software we have so i'd like to cut our dba some slack, but it looks like literally the only fk in the entire database is that one column which is also it's pk and half these tables don't even have pks.

Oh good, nothing like letting political bullshit dictate how a project should be implemented. gently caress everything about that. If it were me, I'd tell whoever said the point of this project is to point out how a dba sucks, to go gently caress themselves because I'm not going to let their inability to deal with confrontation despoil my software. It is ~dishonorable~ and he should be ashamed. THEN, I would go ask the dba what the deal is with this fk constraint. Maybe he has a reason. Maybe it was a typo. I don't give a poo poo whose fault it is, I just want to move forward and solve the problem. Also, just to be a dick, I'd tell the dba that so-and-so is looking for reasons to fire him.

The purity of the software is the highest ideal and cockamamie bullshit from the moochers should not be allowed to cheapen and degrade the quality of software.

Call me a software objectivist.

#nopolitics

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I had a reason for a bit but then it was solved by using Kafka to do the job instead

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

http://www.wfplsiu.com/

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i'm trying to kill myself, but i can't find a way that's supported by all browsers
#webdev

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HoboMan posted:

i'm trying to kill myself, but i can't find a way that's supported by all browsers
#webdev
stay safe php ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anyone here have much experience using jrebel?

Especially with non standard java ee project setups

• Locked thread