Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Slimnoid posted:

Nice. I think you could serve to either smooth the bottom of their feet down so that they're flush with the ground, or put something under their feet to hide the fact that they're not flush. Looks a bit off otherwise.

Yeah I realised after I stuck them down that I should've done the hot water bend trick on the feet or at least I should've dry fit them after making the bases. Ah well I guess I'll fix them up another day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

Imperial Fists Sicaran Venator incoming:

Got to try out lots of new stuff with this one. First time doing any real airbrush stuff beyond basecoating, and first time using weathering powders

It was good fun :)

This owns, Fists own, everything owns

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Yeast posted:

At this stage it's what's in that photo, and this one:

Kicked off in late January, hoping to have the entire army done by November.

Yeast, I may have already asked you this, but do you want more Steel Legion guys? I've got another squad in blister somewhere.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Holy Moley just did my first priming of models using an airbrush and Vallejo Surface primer black. so loving amazing, i'mma prime all day erry day indoors now!

the cheapo 20$ chinese airbrushes are great for priming duty btw! and i've got a Neo for Iwata for stuff requiring actual precision. Guess i'll ask here once i feel my skill has progressed beyond these "starter" airbrushes.

just ordered a set of 50 15ml dropper bottles so i can decant GW paints into a usable format too! (airbrush paint in pots, idiocy!)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Speaking of airbrushes, I'm almost set and ready to paint on the weekend with mine at last.

1. What do people use to clean their airbrushes? Won't be shooting lacquer paints, just acrylics. The branded stuff seems somewhat ridiculously expensive.
2. I have a compressor, the airbrush, I'll pick up a respirator tomorrow, and since it's a closed room with no good ventilation I'll probably grab one of those painting stations. Did I miss anything?

e. I also got most of the Scale 75 alchemies, those things are really drat nice. Makes for interesting lens and gems, and tinting other metals.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody have tips on weathering and highlighting?

For tanks should I drybrush on my highlights? How do I get a good weathering effect?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Get a bottle of the cleaner anyway, you may like using it better. I use it when paints has dried just a bit in the airbrush, it softens the paint faster than plain water.

You may want to get a cleaning station and airbrush rest, make sure you have all the right connections, otherwise it sounds like you're good to go!

Also Stynlrez works really good, everyone has their own favorite brands and there are also plenty of painters that have issues with the Vallejo primers if you do some reading around.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I do have one of those cleaning pots with holder, so I guess I'm good to start then!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Slimnoid posted:

Nice. I think you could serve to either smooth the bottom of their feet down so that they're flush with the ground, or put something under their feet to hide the fact that they're not flush. Looks a bit off otherwise.

It's a desert. The ground is hot.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just wanna say the last page owned

Phi230 posted:

Anybody have tips on weathering and highlighting?

For tanks should I drybrush on my highlights? How do I get a good weathering effect?

Check out this stuff out. I wrote for the thread a while ago, but it should give you some ideas:

http://www.powerfisted.com/?p=38
http://www.powerfisted.com/?p=41
http://www.powerfisted.com/?p=44

I prefer drybrush highlights with a few edge highlights done by hand to mix things up

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Ilor posted:

Yeast, I may have already asked you this, but do you want more Steel Legion guys? I've got another squad in blister somewhere.

Thanks mang - at this stage I'm all good for infantry, I'm only really chasing a Steel Legion Commissar at this point.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The airbrushing the zenithal white did okay. The white layer might be a bit too strong, but I've got shadowing. Can work on improving as I practice. Had a bit trouble with paint thickness, realizing it needed to be a lot thinner than I expected.

I think after weathering this up a bit, it'll look about what I want it to look like. Then I can mask off and try doing the blue areas. This was a LOT faster than doing it with a brush by hand.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This thread will probably appreciate this more since I can't penetrate this through dogfight rules in the 40k thread.

It's not a model, but does require a steady hand and squinty eyes. Still not done, though.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I think it looks great. I do not have a clue about water colours however it is interesting to see the craft in the way it is shaded. I also would rather play in your 40k universe where such an individual exists. Well done.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Star Man posted:

This thread will probably appreciate this more since I can't penetrate this through dogfight rules in the 40k thread.

It's not a model, but does require a steady hand and squinty eyes. Still not done, though.

Watercolor looks great! I'm curious if you've ever tried making faux-watercolors on a model before. :3:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I was thinking about trying to mix a chromatic black with model paints and seeing how that looks. I just don't know what color from Vallejo's model color line matches alizeren crimson.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Star Man posted:

I was thinking about trying to mix a chromatic black with model paints and seeing how that looks. I just don't know what color from Vallejo's model color line matches alizeren crimson.

Somewhere along the lines of 70859 (Black Red) and 70908 (Carmine) would probably be pretty close.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'll look in to that. My mixture for chromatic black is ultramarine, pthalo green, alizeren crimson, and burnt umber.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Star Man posted:

I'll look in to that. My mixture for chromatic black is ultramarine, pthalo green, alizeren crimson, and burnt umber.

There's also violet red (70812) but it might be too far on the violet side than red.

http://cdn.acrylicosvallejo.com/d49f1ac0b025be43a65af8441789a5ea/CC070-Rev13-baja.pdf

Handy dandy color chart, but some of those colours look a lot bolder than reality. Pale sand on that chart to me is a lot stronger than in reality where it's closer to white than brown.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Star Man posted:

Dang, that marine has some DSLs.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

JerryLee posted:

Dang, that marine has some DSLs.

I painting a space marine for a watercolor class that depicts a black woman in power armor that's mostly a reproduction of another piece because I want to clumsily say something about the inherent sexism in games world building and design.

Not that you knew that, but just fyi.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Star Man posted:

I painting a space marine for a watercolor class that depicts a black woman in power armor that's mostly a reproduction of another piece because I want to clumsily say something about the inherent sexism in games world building and design.

glad to see we have someone working on the important issues

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Star Man posted:

Welp. I sincerely did not know that it was intended to be a woman and/or black. :geno:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

JerryLee posted:

Welp. I sincerely did not know that it was intended to be a woman and/or black. :geno:

It's okay. The model I worked from was of a woman with a completely shaved head and I'm putting a woman in a very hypermasculine role.

But I'm a lovely amateur draftsman at my best, so it's probably got more to do with me than anything else.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Star Man posted:

It's okay. The model I worked from was of a woman with a completely shaved head and I'm putting a woman in a very hypermasculine role.

But I'm a lovely amateur draftsman at my best, so it's probably got more to do with me than anything else.

Well, now that I know, I can totally see it. I think it's just that "black female space marine" is so far from being anything that would occur to me by default, which... if anything, makes your project all the better.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I did a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r29R6ExH_p0

Basically I took the Forge World Working with Resin Models pamphlet and went through all the tools they suggest, added a few of my own suggestions and decided halfway through the recording that I'll need to make a part 2 and part 3 to this video.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Does anyone know of a fantasy line that, either on purpose or due to bad sculpts, has adventurer's that look like they just saw something terrifying and they are about to poo poo their pants and run away? Or at least heads that look like that so I can do a conversion on some more static posed figures?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Thread, I want to cover the bases of my 30k tactical marines with shell casings to A) upset people who know bolters are caseless B) represent fury of the legion dakka.

I know that a few places do cast shell casings but they're incredibly expensive. Anyone have any experience knocking these out? I'm not sure what the thinnest plasticard rod available is or if it will drive me mad cutting it up.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just use some brass rod, its really easy to cut up

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Just use some brass rod, its really easy to cut up

I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get a cleaner cut on plasticard but I guess it saves painting it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just roll it on a cutting mat with a sharp modelling knife

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd try cut up plastic q-tip sticks or coffee stirrers (if you can find small enough ones.)

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Star Man posted:

Saw this in the 40k thread. I think it fits perfectly in this thread at the current moment.

http://www.pointandclickbait.com/2016/04/female-space-marines-no-way/

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just saw that too. When I get it finished, I look forward to the grief I'm going tk get from people that I share it with.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
Shiny new username, same old Infinity stuff:

(forgot to post this one. Failed dismally in a contest over on r/minipainting but was still fun to paint)

I tried to avoid using the airbrush as much as possible with these two, in favour of practising with a wet palette, but I've ended up being too timid with the transitions and it's left them a bit lacking contrast-wise.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Milky Ren posted:

I tried to avoid using the airbrush as much as possible with these two, in favour of practising with a wet palette, but I've ended up being too timid with the transitions and it's left them a bit lacking contrast-wise.

Until I read that I assumed the blends were airbrushed. The beige on the centre part of the front tabard on the Reverend Healer in particular is about as smooth as you can possibly get. Nicely done :fap:

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
Gravy Boat 2k

richyp posted:

Until I read that I assumed the blends were airbrushed. The beige on the centre part of the front tabard on the Reverend Healer in particular is about as smooth as you can possibly get. Nicely done :fap:

Thanks. The blue basecoat on the akali and the bases are airbrushed (got lazy towards the end), but that aside it's brushwork.

They don't pop particularly though. I tend to think things look fine while working, but the finished model ends up being a bit dull. Should probably have chosen less ugly colours for the healer as well, she got all of a single vote in the contest :woop:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Milky Ren posted:

Thanks. The blue basecoat on the akali and the bases are airbrushed (got lazy towards the end), but that aside it's brushwork.

They don't pop particularly though. I tend to think things look fine while working, but the finished model ends up being a bit dull. Should probably have chosen less ugly colours for the healer as well, she got all of a single vote in the contest :woop:

At least you went creative with your Nomads I just copied the studio colours.

Just waiting for my copy of HSN3 to ship and arrive with the Sarah Conner lookalike miniature to arrive so I can paint something Infinity with a non standard colour scheme. Until then I'm stuck painting zombies and skeletons.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
Gravy Boat 2k

richyp posted:

At least you went creative with your Nomads I just copied the studio colours.

Just waiting for my copy of HSN3 to ship and arrive with the Sarah Conner lookalike miniature to arrive so I can paint something Infinity with a non standard colour scheme. Until then I'm stuck painting zombies and skeletons.

Yeah, after (attempting to) mimic the studio scheme for the PanO half of the set, I'm probably just going to muck about with the Nomads.

The poor Alguaciles are likely going to end up being bright orange. I know they're guards rather than prisoners, but the idea still appeals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Milky Ren posted:

Yeah, after (attempting to) mimic the studio scheme for the PanO half of the set, I'm probably just going to muck about with the Nomads.

The poor Alguaciles are likely going to end up being bright orange. I know they're guards rather than prisoners, but the idea still appeals.

It's like you're mirror universe me. I bought Icestorm painted the Nomads in more or less studio schemes (minus a few hair colour swaps) thinking I'd get them out of the way so I could spend some more time carefully painting the PanO stuff which I bought the box for. Found out that I really like the Nomad range and relegated the PanO models to the probably never get out of primer stage, except for the Father Knight and 2 of the Fusiliers, who funnily enough also ended up way brighter than the should.

Then I decided on painting some Combined Army stuff too :/