Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

Hey guys,

Quick question, I've been playing through the game as a Knight. I am very slow and methodical in exploration so that I get everything, so I probably have most or all of the weapons that you can get so far excepting maybe some rare drops.

I'm basically done with the Catacombs in terms of my progress.

Right now I'm still rocking the Longsword that you get as the starter weapon (it has up to Large Titanite Shards on it, so +4 or +5 range) and a fire gem upgrade.

My playstyle is very shield oriented, lots of backstabbing as well. So my question is, is there anything better I should be using with a shield at this point in the game?

It feels pretty stupid to be using the starting weapon still, but the array of weapons is absolutely dizzying and whenever I start thinking about what to use, I inevitably get overwhelmed and stick with the fire longsword.

Straight Swords like the Longsword are king in this game, and the Longsword has a great moveset to boot. They pair really well with shields, and unlike most RPG's there's really no shame in staying with your starting weapon.

That said, experiment with different weapons. If you're this far in the game you should be able to buy Titanite Shards at the Handmaid (if you give her the ashes from the swamp), so I'd recommend getting a few different weapons to +3 (a curved sword, a greatsword, a thrusting sword, an axe) and see if you like their movesets better. If you still prefer the Longsword then just keep upgrading it and it will do a good job for the rest of the game.

If you want a cooler looking Longsword then I recommend farming the Lothric Knights outside Vordt's bonfire, I used the Lothric Knight Sword for the entire game and it's so incredibly good and looks amazing.

e:

Taima posted:

So you're saying that all weapons have similar strength and it just comes down to preference in terms of speed and moveset?

Since the buff, I'd say that the weapons are mostly of similar strength. A Greatsword will be slower but hit harder, a thrusting sword will hit faster but weaker, etc. Moveset has always been the most important thing in Souls games, which is why the starting weapons often are just as good as later weapons.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

net cafe scandal posted:

It is insanely weak to not be able to get 30 sunlight medals by the time you fidn the Sunlight Altar. Shame on you

I farmed up over 40 at the greatwood boss because its the only good boss in the game. Their boss making skills have really gone to poo poo from earlier games. I want weak points not anime bosses.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Alabaster White posted:

At least 40 of those hours were spent in aimless PVP or idling. Maybe the regulation patch today will make Darkmoons work better, and the ear grind much less hellish as a result.

That is my hope. Also IIRC in ds2 they had those really crazy requirements to get a few pyromancies and miracles but then just patched it so you could buy them in ng++

Tenzarin posted:

I farmed up over 40 at the greatwood boss because its the only good boss in the game. There boss making skills have really gone to poo poo from earlier games. I want weak points not anime bosses.

What in the...

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

In the 'dark' ending extinguishing the flame kind of implies that there are other flames, flames that arent the "first" flame lurking around. The whole time we've been spending keeping the first flame on life support when we could have moved to the second flame and avoided this whole undead curse thing

I got the sense that it was either a metaphor for all of the different lords existing and each of them technically having their own worlds with their own flames (lothric is a weird nexus, and I always thought the 5 thrones we see aren't actually 5 thrones that are from a fixed location, but 5 thrones from five different locations that lothric just kind of mashes together) or a metaphor for everyone playing their own game and getting their own ending and going through new game+ cycles and etc.

also it leaves the door open for whatever eventual sequel / reboot comes down the pipe.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Taima posted:

So you're saying that all weapons have similar strength and it just comes down to preference in terms of speed and moveset?

Pretty much. All weapons are (roughly) created equal, given appropriate stats for the respective weapons, and that those weapons are sufficiently upgraded.

There are a few outliers that are just sort of underwhelming. Whips are usually really disappointing, but most every weapon class that is often a poor performer has something in there that can make it a viable weapon. So it isn't the generic whip, you can get away with a notched whip, leaning more on bleed and building stats around it.

Just an example. Rule of thumb is to find a weapon with a moveset you like, see if other weapons share the moveset, and pick one which better suits your stats, or build your stats accordingly. Fashion can be factored into this decision to a degree.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tenzarin posted:

I farmed up over 40 at the greatwood boss because its the only good boss in the game. Their boss making skills have really gone to poo poo from earlier games. I want weak points not anime bosses.

Taint reaped again

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Thank you turtlecrunch and Your Computer and Kiggles, totally appreciate the guidance!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

I farmed up over 40 at the greatwood boss because its the only good boss in the game. There boss making skills have really gone to poo poo from earlier games. I want weak points not anime bosses.

What. What.

I've had such a hard time co-oping that boss because even a single extra person means that you need to pop more boils to enter the second phase, and then you need to actually hit his balls/hand in phase 2 because just popping his zits isn't enough to kill him.

RBA Starblade posted:

Taint reaped again

oh no my tree balls

e: OW MY TREEbALLS

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

This is the worst post about Dark Souls that I have ever read.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

RBA Starblade posted:

Taint reaped again

This describes the greatwood boss fight perfectly.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Your Computer posted:

What. What.

I've had such a hard time co-oping that boss because even a single extra person means that you need to pop more boils to enter the second phase, and then you need to actually hit his balls/hand in phase 2 because just popping his zits isn't enough to kill him.

Oh, if you have a good team poping zits, it stuns locks the hand in phase 2. Run to the front and get a bunch of free swings.

The boss is pretty easy. I was getting him to half before the fall because you can kill the nuts, front right hand, and back right hand before the fall.

Also if you can get your host to run away from the boss underground, the tree will stand up and fall face forward, letting you get a poo poo ton of hits in on its fleshy hand.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 28, 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

turtlecrunch posted:

Lothric has elongate arms and claw hands but his skin is cleaner. Also I don't think Gwyndolin had spooky arms like that in DS1. But G and L are definitely the same archetype (and same VA, maybe?).

Seems normal. I guess Aldrich ate his boobs since he doesn't have them anymore.

Weird, no spooky arms.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

Oh, if you have a good team poping zits, it stuns locks the hand in phase 2. Run to the front and get a bunch of free swings.

The boss is pretty easy. I was getting him to half before the fall because you can kill the nuts, front right hand, and back right hand before the fall.

He's incredibly easy solo, but I've tried to co-op on him so many times and the host always dies before we can finish him off :saddowns:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Your Computer posted:

I interpreted it in the DS2 sense of inevitability that you're not actually "stopping" anything and the cycle will continue. You might be right though, which would be incredibly interesting and I'd love to see some lore backing that up.

When given the eyes, the Firekeeper says she senses "tiny flames" in the distance left by past linkers of fire.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

oh duh. the pilgrim butterflies are the "evolved" forms of the pilgrims like Yoel. They even look like Rom from BB, and she's basically a caterpillar.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Farron's Wolf covenant :saddowns:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The greatwood tree is the closest boss they have made to the gaping dragon, where you can coop and lead lame heroes to defeat their bosses. The anime bosses are all pretty lame.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Giant Isopod posted:

So what exactly is the association between the Dark/Deep and ... trees, anyway?

The deacons all have branches coming out of their robes. McDonnell has branches coming out of his eyes. The Pontiff has branches for wings. Even the darkwraith armor has some small twig branches on their armor and the hilt of the dark sword.

(Also, the branches thing is consistent across both the Dark and the Deep). Its a recurring theme but I have no idea what it actually represents.

Except for Aldrich I guess, who has no branches, only blobs.

e: fuckin' beaten, this thread moves fast.

Trees burn really well -> First Flame burns away the Darkness?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Tenzarin posted:

The greatwood tree is the closest boss they have made to the gaping dragon, where you can coop and lead lame heroes to defeat their bosses. The anime bosses are all pretty lame.

nope

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Taima posted:

The longsword is one of the best weapons in the game, honestly. Don't feel bad for using it, but don't be afraid of experimentation, either. It sounds like you're keeping it upgraded, which is the most important thing.

Depending on your build, the fire infusion may be less viable as you go on (since you lose out on the ability to buff it further, and the stat scaling), but a fire longsword can absolutely take you to the end of NG without any issues.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Hamburger Test posted:

Is Aldrich basically a smaller version of the thing you enter at the end of Demon's Souls? :tinfoil:

Let's see...

+ Find it deep below the Nexus in water
+ It's a blob monster
+ TREE BRANCH MOTIF
+ Ate another guy who is trapped inside it
+ Wants to devour everything
+ Has periods of destructive wakefulness followed by long, sleepy digestions

Checks out! :vince:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Farron's Wolf covenant :saddowns:

Don't even try to get All Rings on a non-fresh character. Get to SL25-30, equip the Farron badge, and run circuits up and down the road in front of Abyss Watchers while waiting for summons. Got all 30 of my Swordgrass in just over an hour.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

il serpente cosmico posted:

Depending on your build, the fire infusion may be less viable as you go on (since you lose out on the ability to buff it further, and the stat scaling), but a fire longsword can absolutely take you to the end of NG without any issues.

as a guy who used a fire longsword and heavy zweihander for the entirety of his first run, I can vouch for this

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Hes a disgusting loving meat monster that needs to be incinerated with a fluorine flamethrower

Pet theory: He's the sentient liquified insides of the cannibal gently caress lord you fought in the same room two games ago.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

oh duh. the pilgrim butterflies are the "evolved" forms of the pilgrims like Yoel. They even look like Rom from BB, and she's basically a caterpillar.

Yeah, you can see the branches of the butterfly sticking out of their shells if you look close.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

turtlecrunch posted:

Yeah, you can see the branches of the butterfly sticking out of their shells if you look close.

Any explanation why thy're like the ghost of christmas future and have no face?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

If your entire criteria for a good boss is "is consistently made easier via co-op" then I guess I can see how you'd only like the Greatwood, but this opinion is utterly baffling to me.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
There's a lot of tree and wood imagery going on with this game, like, what's up with that?

Is the new age of fire that will inevtiably comes after the dark ending be a world of trees? Is mankind's fate to become trees like how DS2 giants become trees? Are the stone archtrees the eventual fate of all things? Are stone everlasting dragons just an evolutionary midpoint between humans and archtrees? Was the Age of Ancients when the world was unformed just the tail end of an Age of Dark? Is Gwyn, Nito, and the Witches of Izalith and the Furtive Pygmy going to discover the First Flame again and genocide the human dragon trees again because one member of them got hosed by Evolution? Where does the Crystal of Immortality fit into all this? What was the Throne of Want? What about the DS2 ending where you escape the curse by becoming a true king?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

pretty hard resisting the urge to make caestus pvp videos with Nightcore backing music

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

turtlecrunch posted:

Let's see...

+ It's a blob monster
+ TREE BRANCH MOTIF

The ending in that video is pretty similar to the one where you kill the Fire Keeper and take the final embers of the first flame, down to stepping on their head.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

turtlecrunch posted:

Let's see...

+ It's a blob monster
+ TREE BRANCH MOTIF

If nothing else, King Allant was the influence for DS3's poise

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

pretty hard resisting the urge to make caestus pvp videos with Nightcore backing music

Why resist?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Any explanation why thy're like the ghost of christmas future and have no face?

They're relations of Mergo's Wet Nurse. Other than that idk. I bet if you pulled the cloth off their heads/necks as pilgrims they would be the same kind of meaty node-on-a-stick head as the butterfly.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harrow posted:

If your entire criteria for a good boss is "is consistently made easier via co-op" then I guess I can see how you'd only like the Greatwood, but this opinion is utterly baffling to me.

No buddy, its weak points. Not anime bosses doing flips or ice skating across the ground with huge generic hit boxes.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I don't know why you all care about pvp in dark souls. It's a jrpg ffs and the point is the single player. PvP is just shoe horned in for dumb reasons.

If you want a sword based PvP game go play chivalry or war of the roses.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 28, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Harrow posted:

Why resist?

you know who else probably made pvp videos with anime rave music?

Aldrich

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If the Witch of Izalith made the Bed of Chaos, and the Bed of Chaos spawned all the demons, does that make the Witch a milf? Or just a bad game designer?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

lite_sleepr posted:

I don't know why you all care about pvp in dark souls. It's a jrpg ffs and the point it's the single player. PvP is just shoe horned in for dumb reasons.

Souls is a coop game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lite_sleepr posted:

War of the Roses is dead as gently caress and no amount of estoc/darksword spamming and smough hackers will be as awful to deal with as helicopter vanguards

the superior sword pvp game is Mount and Blade: Warband

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Failing that, sign up for some HEMA classes and duel with an estoc irl like a real man.