Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
What are the preferred guns for the Pensacola?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's a matter of preference, as both are good in different ways. If you like range and speed, the speed guns will still dunk on DDs just fine but your ammo issues will be even more pronounced. The power guns require you to get closer and aim more carefully but are more useful on a variety of targets.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Someone tiered an Ersatz with a Tosa just now, and got a game with my Iowa. I killed the Ersatz with secondaries in 4 salvos.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I just did 7 kills and 32k damage in the Moyko and we lost because 4 out of the 7 on our team were AFK.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Pervis posted:

Night time games lately have been horrible, especially at lower levels. I had similar experiences in subs last night and the night before. I sunk a Porter, Laforey, QE, and another I-19 in my I-19 (after crashing mid game while turning at low speed post-ramming kill of the sub, found myself spinning in circles but still completely alive), but eventually ran out of torps trying to sink another sub and chasing down a Revenge. I did more damage than my entire team combined and nearly MVP while losing. Next game is a night battle, I'm in a Cachalot and the same squad with the Porter is on the other team. I kill the Porter again, a sub, and chase down/spot the enemy team, but eventually lose to a cap since the rest of my team can't aim and gets picked off, and I can't shake off hostile airplanes without an AA gun and our carrier can't hit poo poo and decides that putting fighters over the capping Pensacola is a good plan, rather than hitting him with anything.

New Monthly routine event popped, for a 3-star that's all CV skills, chance to increase aircraft speed/maneuver by 5% when an aircraft is destroyed by the enemy, 2% dodge, and 10% fighter damage, with an activated skill that increases aircraft dodge rate by 20% for 60 seconds. Overall looks pretty decent, especially the fighter damage and speed/maneuver boost. No hawkeye though.

As far as subs in night battles go do they get their normal sonar range or does it get reduced as well because logic?

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Hi I applied as DCBomB

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ramming CVs is the best.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Lee Outrageous posted:

As far as subs in night battles go do they get their normal sonar range or does it get reduced as well because logic?

I think Sonar is reduced overall but not to the extent radar is, but sonar isn't used by a sub detecting surface things, I think it's only factored in to spotting submerged subs.

Yeah, I dunno. The game focuses more on general balance (beyond things like the Laforey and gold smoke being stupidly long) than realism. Night battles are definitely fun as-is, move from spot to spot and avoiding flares, and watching for flare launches so you can drop one on the launcher.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

And occasionally popping out and being like 'holy poo poo there's a BB on either side of me at 1km torpedoes TORPEDOES'

Those are Good Times.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Night10194 posted:

Ramming CVs is the best.

I touched the butt

DCBomB posted:

Hi I applied as DCBomB

The fleet application list went to 78 rejected applicants between anyone(just me really lol where did the other Officers go why do I always get Officer roles in every Online game I play make it stop) accepting a goon into the fleet. Everyone should look at the number of active players in this game while pondering the large number of applicants to a fleet with the description "Do not apply you will be rejected :goonsay:".

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 24, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Night10194 posted:

And occasionally popping out and being like 'holy poo poo there's a BB on either side of me at 1km torpedoes TORPEDOES'

Those are Good Times.

This is what I love about night battles! "OH gently caress BOTES* *jizz torpedoes everywhere*

Honestly, read up on the battle of Savo Island and you'd think the USN was full of pubbies in that battle.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Panfilo posted:

This is what I love about night battles! "OH gently caress BOTES* *jizz torpedoes everywhere*

Honestly, read up on the battle of Savo Island and you'd think the USN was full of pubbies in that battle.

You could say the same about the IJN while they were trying to sink the two Allied CA's Perth and Houston. they pubbie torped their own invasion fleet so hard that they sank Ryujo and nearly killed the General in charge of the whole shebang who was on it.

edit: hello empty ammo my old friend
first place in my p2win bote again

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 24, 2016

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Groggy nard posted:

You could say the same about the IJN while they were trying to sink the two Allied CA's Perth and Houston. they pubbie torped their own invasion fleet so hard that they sank Ryujo and nearly killed the General in charge of the whole shebang who was on it.

They sunk the Ryujo Maru with friendly torpedos, not the aircraft carrier Ryujo.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Is there a general guide that applies to how the different nation's aircraft carriers function in game?

Something like IJN gets more/better torp planes, USA gets better fuel or something.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Groggy nard posted:

edit: hello empty ammo my old friend
first place in my p2win bote again

And that was with GanjaJoe on your team. A bit after or before that I ran in to him in another competition game in an Shirtatsyu. He ended the game with 3 deaths, 0 kills, 0 damage inflicted. He fired torps but I never saw him fire guns, might've just had amazing lag, though he seemed to be maneuvering like a normal person. Or maybe you ran in to him in a different battle and crushed his spirit so hard that he gave up.

Population-wise I think the morning US time seems to be the best, and I see decent players on. There was 30+ in 6/7 queue earlier today, and a 7/8 battle I got in felt much like t5 battles did a couple months ago. Late Pacific time seems to be the worst, and the players are really horrible or new.

Also I can't reiterate enough how amazing the Somers is. It's like a Porter on steroids, the light at the end of the Benson tunnel. For that and the New Orleans I've got something like a combined 85% win rate, and I mostly play them solo in pub matches. My subs on the other hand, haven't been doing so good. I've been having similar issues in carriers, where my team can't seem to shoot and the match slowly goes on as both sides whittle each other down, and I struggle to get out a flight of bombers and keep people spotted and enemy planes down.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Captain Beans posted:

Is there a general guide that applies to how the different nation's aircraft carriers function in game?

Something like IJN gets more/better torp planes, USA gets better fuel or something.

IJN get the best torpedoes, and their fighters will win dogfights because they turn the best. You have to micro the fighters though. All their planes have less health.

Americans are the fastest and have the highest health. They're good spotters because they can get over ships and survive for a while. They turn the worst.

The Brits are somewhere in the middle, except their torpedo bombers are really, really slow. I think brit fighters can beat Japanese fighters actually, because they turn tight enough that the IJN fighters can't kite them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sometimes I fear I am cyberbullying the Confederates.

Then I remember they're the Confederates and I continue dunking them.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Night10194 posted:

Sometimes I fear I am cyberbullying the Confederates.

Then I remember they're the Confederates and I continue dunking them.

Mocking confederates is always acceptable.

I just killed a <DIIN> Laforey 4 times in a competition map (while in a Northampton, so not quite as amazing as it otherwise would be). My last full salvo of ammo went in to him to finish the game, firing along the edge of the mountain as he was heading behind it. It ended with me doing 19k damage, and him doing 15k and going 6/4 as apparently he was demolishing our subs with the poo poo-ton of DC's he has (he got Sonar expert).

Feels like there's more Laforey players who are not up to what I expect, which is Sattanicom levels of ridiculousness. Then again we had 3 Ise's who combined had 5k damage. I literally cannot understand how people can be that bad, as all you need to do is move boat, press shift, point circle at hostile boat or in front/behind as needed, and press button.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I'm moderately convinced the Ise will aim and fire itself if you give it the chance. I'd rather play it than the Ersatz in any T6 match. I won't even mention the Proto.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I did too much botefite, might have to take a break.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
hmmm does anyone know how to translate the commander buff language of "...when the enemy is lit up"?

Does that mean when someone is spotted?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Captain Beans posted:

hmmm does anyone know how to translate the commander buff language of "...when the enemy is lit up"?

Pretty sure it means when you light them on fire.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Captain Beans posted:

I'm assuming it is when they are spotted. Some are a little deceptive;

"Survival Instinct" says it activates when you are under attack. But what I think happens is that it activates when you get in enemy's spotting range. Because I've had it activate without getting shot at, but when it procs it certainly happens to light up an enemy ship in the bonus vision.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Panfilo posted:

"Survival Instinct" says it activates when you are under attack. But what I think happens is that it activates when you get in enemy's spotting range. Because I've had it activate without getting shot at, but when it procs it certainly happens to light up an enemy ship in the bonus vision.

This is actually super useful on subs and why I use Arashi on them instead of Kazuo. It's like a poor mans Detection Warning except you can still have Doenitz as your sub captain. "Woop, Survival Instinct procced, time to manuever and dive before a cheeky BB tries to delete me!"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Groggy nard posted:

This is actually super useful on subs and why I use Arashi on them instead of Kazuo. It's like a poor mans Detection Warning except you can still have Doenitz as your sub captain. "Woop, Survival Instinct procced, time to manuever and dive before a cheeky BB tries to delete me!"

Yeah, I noticed on subs or ships with crappy vision, you don't always spot the guy who spotted you, but like you said, you know that your blip is now on their minimap. With subs you can often bait them into shooting right as you are diving, lighting them up for your own buddies.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Groggy nard posted:

I never connected that that was what was happening, I always assumed someone shot somewhere vaguely near me but I was always wondering why it was triggering when it did. That's super useful though now that I know, and I feel dumb for not realizing that was what was going on.

Late night players continue to be horrible to an absurd degree. I dropped in a 4v4 in a Cachalot since I wanted to use VIP on something that could use the experience, all 3 of my teammates die quickly and then I proceeded to kill a Bagley while running away from a Furataka and a t4 german sub. The sub later disconnected, ran straight in to the edge of the map, so I lobbed two torps his way while dodging taco torps and gunfire, then proceeded to maneuver around my cap zone until I could fire a torp from outside of safe range which crippled the taco and led to his death shortly later. I then headed for their cap, wondering what was going on while the taco player is making noise in chat about the remaining guy being stupid and not moving or something, but the dumb small chat window and my ongoing fleet chat with Werner mean I couldn't read all the taco player is writing.

I find an I-14, in their cap zone, not moving, facing north. I have my spotting crew + radar on so I see him at a decent range, fire two torps his way, figuring he's been AFK/disconnected. I was confused because I thought that that spot wasn't a starting spot.. and then he started reversing, but not turning or not very quickly. He takes one torp still but is still alive until one of my other 2 shots then gets him. This kind of thing seems to happen reliably if I hop in to a t4 or t5 game (or even t6 nowadays) late at night.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
HMS Courageous trip report: HMS Courageous confirmed as worlds most British carrier.

Might honestly have the best secondaries of any ship in its tier. Can gunfight destroyers and light crusiers with ease. This is absolutely hilarious when they try to close and torpedo me. However....

Airplanes suck complete poo poo. Torp bombers are slower, more fragile and hit less hard than both their Japanese and American counterparts. Fighters are meh. Dive Bombers are worthless but they are divebombers and that is in their nature.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I always get a kick out of throwing out Dive Bombers out of sheer desperation and having them be shockingly effective. But most of the time...meh.

There are so many carrier crew that boost dive bombers' abilities too. Its too bad they are just fundamentally ineffective compared to torpedo bombers.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Some pubbie said I was kill stealing. I laughed and told him to check damage after the battle.

Post-buff Iowa is truly a fun bote.

EDIT: Just ran down and killed a 3 man Viking platoon in a Baltimore, Bismarck and Gearing by myself, this is quickly becoming my favorite boat.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 28, 2016

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Mazz posted:

Some pubbie said I was kill stealing. I laughed and told him to check damage after the battle.

Post-buff Iowa is truly a fun bote.

EDIT: Just ran down and killed a 3 man Viking platoon in a Baltimore, Bismarck and Gearing by myself, this is quickly becoming my favorite boat.

You've got the engine upgrades? I can totally see that happening, that ship is scary fast with those. I had one run me down in a Sodak when I was in a game with you - not much you can do when it's got a 8+ knot advantage, and a Gearing would have to go full speed to stay at range with you.

The 18 AA guns I got to use the other day when I got stuck in a match against an Essex (and a sub.. and we had only BB's, so was a simple loss), was hard to fire them all before they reloaded and I managed to down 22 planes before getting torped to hell.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Mazz posted:

Well, that sure is a battleship that's faster than the equal tier heavy cruiser.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I gotta admit that there is one aspect i love about steel ocean. Your commanders aren't tied to a nation or ship. So if a tree does fit you, you can just drop it and pick up another line that better fits you. For example, switching to us bb from british. Though, im enjoying the neptune so far.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Pervis posted:

You've got the engine upgrades? I can totally see that happening, that ship is scary fast with those. I had one run me down in a Sodak when I was in a game with you - not much you can do when it's got a 8+ knot advantage, and a Gearing would have to go full speed to stay at range with you.

The 18 AA guns I got to use the other day when I got stuck in a match against an Essex (and a sub.. and we had only BB's, so was a simple loss), was hard to fire them all before they reloaded and I managed to down 22 planes before getting torped to hell.

Yeah I'm done with all the upgrades now, it took like 50 games but with x3s it wasn't too terrible.

I was on that map with the upside down L island, where the spawns are NW/SE. What I did was run up from the SE spawn along edge of that mountain, hoping I could use that speed to find the Bismarck before the Gearing realized we weren't south and turned back. Risky if the DD went north, but I figured thats unlikely against 3 BBs. It worked, and I used smoke to advance so that the Bismarck didn't really have any hope of getting away from me. After that, the gearing kinda came right back to me, I advanced on him too so he ended up within like 2.6km and had nowhere to go. The Baltimore really had no choice but to cap and die eventually after that.

But yeah, the Iowa's top speed is what sells it, well that and the excellent sustained damage post buff. I don't mind solopubbing the Iowa at all right now unless I get real poo poo match against a tryhard platoon. The trick I found to beating a lot of platoons is to leverage the Iowa's speed to use the far parts of the map as a flanking path, so the first thing you run into is their BBs flank and/or get close enough to spot their BBs if they should start firing at you. If you can remove the dangerous stuff, most CAs and DDs really don't have much hope against an aggressive Iowa because they can barely run way. And once you have stuff spotted, you really don't lose gunfights in the Iowa.

JuffoWup posted:

I gotta admit that there is one aspect i love about steel ocean. Your commanders aren't tied to a nation or ship. So if a tree does fit you, you can just drop it and pick up another line that better fits you. For example, switching to us bb from british. Though, im enjoying the neptune so far.

This is really nice, as once your crew is good, it makes grinding a lot less painful. For example, running my BB crew in the Ise made it a loving monster almost immediately after purchase. There's a big difference there then having to train those guys up every time like WoT, or even the crew slots like WT.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 29, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The King George V seems pretty sweet from where I'm sitting and the Queen Elizabeth was great. British BBs are solid botes.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Night10194 posted:

The King George V seems pretty sweet from where I'm sitting and the Queen Elizabeth was great. British BBs are solid botes.

The Brit BBs past the revenge all seem pretty good, gonna have to start working on them soon. I really need to get my Scharn finished but the Ersatz is cursed and puts me in 1 BB/2 Sub games constantly now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I magdeted and one-shotted another sub with the Surcouf's guns tonight.

SURCOOOOUUUUUFFFFF

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I told Elder Lee he was bad and he said he didn't care. He didn't care so much, he kicked me from the server.
:laffo:

I wonder if the game developers care enough, I was careful not to break any of their posted rules.

(Elder Lee and the three or four people that platoon him are all worse than pubbies)

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

James Garfield posted:

I told Elder Lee he was bad and he said he didn't care. He didn't care so much, he kicked me from the server.
:laffo:

I wonder if the game developers care enough, I was careful not to break any of their posted rules.

(Elder Lee and the three or four people that platoon him are all worse than pubbies)

What? Are you banned now?

The devs don't seem confident about managing the NA playerbase themselves, so of course they recruit the first idiot that volunteers to be "community manager". It's embarrassing how elder lee responds to literally every steam discussion thread with a copy-paste "thanks for playing". The fact that he has an ego about it is funny though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Before he was community manager, I told Lee he was a bad because he always does the same thing depending on ship class and it's rarely helpful, and he gave me this speech about how when I hit 2000 games my winrate would be 50-50 like him because of it averaging out. It's still 75%, though that's partly a measure of how often I platoon (game is just more fun with buddies).

Bear in mind he almost always plays in a platoon and STILL only has a 50-50 winrate. Lee is hilariously bad and he never seems to learn anything from playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

What? Are you banned now?

No idea. I was going to quit anyway so I didn't try to log back in.

Night10194 posted:

Before he was community manager, I told Lee he was a bad because he always does the same thing depending on ship class and it's rarely helpful, and he gave me this speech about how when I hit 2000 games my winrate would be 50-50 like him because of it averaging out. It's still 75%, though that's partly a measure of how often I platoon (game is just more fun with buddies).

He gave me the same speech about how my winrate would be 50-50 when I hit 4000 games (and he also tried to say he was a better player because he had 4000 games played).

I pointed out that I would need to maintain a sub 40% win rate over my next 2500 games in order to get to 50-50, and he threw a tantrum and then kicked me from the server.

It was pretty funny though, seeing him go on about how much he didn't care.

• Locked thread