Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gologle posted:

There's a lot of tree and wood imagery going on with this game, like, what's up with that?

Is the new age of fire that will inevtiably comes after the dark ending be a world of trees? Is mankind's fate to become trees like how DS2 giants become trees? Are the stone archtrees the eventual fate of all things? Are stone everlasting dragons just an evolutionary midpoint between humans and archtrees? Was the Age of Ancients when the world was unformed just the tail end of an Age of Dark? Is Gwyn, Nito, and the Witches of Izalith and the Furtive Pygmy going to discover the First Flame again and genocide the human dragon trees again because one member of them got hosed by Evolution? Where does the Crystal of Immortality fit into all this? What was the Throne of Want? What about the DS2 ending where you escape the curse by becoming a true king?

Nature, basically steering away from civilization and going back to nature.

Probably. Yes. Sorta. I think so. Yes. Probably not. Nope. Literally a lust for power. Someone else rises up and links the flame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Babe Magnet posted:

War of the Roses is dead as gently caress and no amount of estoc/darksword spamming and smough hackers will be as awful to deal with as helicopter vanguards

I think thats Chivalry. War of the Roses was the mediocre Mount & Blade-style one. But you could aim your stabs through people's visors and stab them in the eyes and also the elbows and that owned.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

No buddy, its weak points. Not anime bosses doing flips or ice skating across the ground with huge generic hit boxes.

I just feel like if I wanted to smack specific, clearly-defined weak points on a big boss, I'd go play Zelda. But also now I understand why you dislike Bloodborne so much: it pretty much codified the switch to most bosses being action/reflex-based fights instead of setpiece encounters with specific weak points.

(Also, Wolnir has weak points, too. Or did you forget him because the fight's over in like 20 seconds?)

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

lite_sleepr posted:

Failing that, sign up for some HEMA classes and duel with an estoc irl like a real man.

LARPer spotted

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Made a char for low lvl pvp. Leonard bugs out and doesn't show up when I got a pale tongue, so no red eye orb for me. :suicide:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Faffel posted:

I think thats Chivalry. War of the Roses was the mediocre Mount & Blade-style one. But you could aim your stabs through people's visors and stab them in the eyes and also the elbows and that owned.

I know, I was hitting both of his suggestions in one sentence, sorry lol

lite_sleepr posted:

Failing that, sign up for some HEMA classes and duel with an estoc irl like a real man.

I do, bitch

well, did, its been a while

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Atreiden posted:

Made a char for low lvl pvp. Leonard bugs out and doesn't show up when I got a pale tongue, so no red eye orb for me. :suicide:

Go kill the Greatwood.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lite_sleepr posted:

I don't know why you all care about pvp in dark souls. It's a jrpg ffs and the point is the single player. PvP is just shoe horned in for dumb reasons.

If you want a sword based PvP game go play chivalry or war of the roses.

People will argue to death that the Souls games are about multiplayer, even if they're the most solid single-player games ever made.

Since Souls PvP has become A Thing™ that people care about, Fromsoft is balancing the game with it in mind and it runs into the same problem as every single MMO ever where a PvP-related change fucks over PvE'ers and a PvE-related change fucks over PvP'ers. :negative:

e: worst part is that Souls PvP would be really awesome if it actually worked right (for example, it's unplayable for me due to lag. Probably related to geographical location), so I kinda wish Fromsoft would just release Dark Souls: Arena where it was all PvP all the time, with working netcode.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 28, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Man, people were not loving kidding about this ear drop rate. Tried it out at 305 item discovery and I'm getting a drop rate of about 1 ear an hour. Neat! Why did they loving do this?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vermain posted:

Man, people were not loving kidding about this ear drop rate. Tried it out at 305 item discovery and I'm getting a drop rate of about 1 ear an hour. Neat! Why did they loving do this?

Because you're not supposed to get ears from Silver Knights, and they probably didn't plan for the Sentinels/Darkmoon basically only working for like 25% of all players at best.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Vermain posted:

It's a jrpg. Farming for heis on end is integral to all Asian rpgs.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Vermain posted:

Presumably the same reason that you can't buy infusion gems and they are a rare drop chance if you want any beyond the static loot corpses. :darksouls:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

People will argue to death that the Souls games are about multiplayer, even if they're the most solid single-player games ever made.

Since Souls PvP has become A Thing™ that people care about, Fromsoft is balancing the game with it in mind and it runs into the same problem as every single MMO ever where a PvP-related change fucks over PvE'ers and a PvE-related change fucks over PvP'ers. :negative:

e: worst part is that Souls PvP would be really awesome if it actually worked right (for example, it's unplayable for me due to lag. Probably related to geographical location), so I kinda wish Fromsoft would just release Dark Souls: Arena where it was all PvP all the time, with working netcode.

Bring back the Scraping Spear.

PvP should be about invaders being dicks to people. Honorable duels are for chumps :colbert:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Tenzarin posted:

No buddy, its weak points. Not anime bosses doing flips or ice skating across the ground with huge generic hit boxes.

I do miss encounters like 2-3 dragon king where the entire boss is more of a puzzle / environment hazard rather than just an upscaled enemy model with more health and more damage. I know ancient wyvern and wolnir exist, but I'd like for there to be more alternate ways to complete more of the bosses. like sure, if you just want to sword and board or shoot pew pew magic then fine you can do that, but it'd be nice if more bosses also had environment stuff or hidden specific weaknesses or whatever that you could use that would also change up the fight.

also pvp bosses like 3-3 mad monk absolutely need to be in the DLC.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
obviously as the cycles of fire and dark reach a saturation point where they occur so often that the disparity between them shrinks to almost nothing, the world begins to return to a primal state. archtrees begin to grow from every living thing and the ordained-to-die-and-be-reborn pilgrims of londor begin the arduous process of becoming undying stone dragons

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vermain posted:

You don't really have to do it, man. Darkmoon Blade isn't worth it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does Hollow infusion completely remove str/dex scaling?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

You don't really have to do it, man. Darkmoon Blade isn't worth it.

Also this.

Lightning Blade is identical to Darkmoon Blade in everything except damage type. Darkmoon Blade is basically a vanity spell.

Then again, if you're committed to getting every achievement, you're gonna need Darkmoon Blade I guess :negative:

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

Go kill the Greatwood.

I have and light the cliff side bonfire. Done everything that should make him show up

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Vermain posted:

Literally nobody will judge you for just using Cheat Engine if you're on PC.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RBA Starblade posted:

Nope just lowers it

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Hollow dampens STR/DEX scaling and adds LCK scaling based on your current Hollowing level. It also gives you up to +5 Luck.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

homeless poster posted:

I do miss encounters like 2-3 dragon king where the entire boss is more of a puzzle / environment hazard rather than just an upscaled enemy model with more health and more damage. I know ancient wyvern and wolnir exist, but I'd like for there to be more alternate ways to complete more of the bosses. like sure, if you just want to sword and board or shoot pew pew magic then fine you can do that, but it'd be nice if more bosses also had environment stuff or hidden specific weaknesses or whatever that you could use that would also change up the fight.

also pvp bosses like 3-3 mad monk absolutely need to be in the DLC.

You can just hide under that dragon and cast spells lol, it's heavy resistant to pyromancy though.

3-3 was fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Nope. I think it might lower it, but often not enough to lower the letter ranking according to the wiki.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

voltron lion force posted:

Nope just lowers it

Thanks, couldn't remember. I have them at 11/18 already so I can use whatever, once I hit 40 luck and 1000 hp or whatever I'll start pumping those.

Also I looked up what the blood gems do and wow that seems lovely

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks, couldn't remember. I have them at 11/18 already so I can use whatever, once I hit 40 luck and 1000 hp or whatever I'll start pumping those.

Also I looked up what the blood gems do and wow that seems lovely

Yeah, never go Blood infusion. Just grab a weapon with innate bleed, make it Hollow, and use Carthus Rouge, everything that can bleed will bleed out in record time.

I think I'm going to make a Dex/Luck bleed build with an Assassin. 40 Dex/40 Luck, Hollow Carthus Curved Sword. At SL 120 that leaves plenty of room for Vigor and Endurance, too.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

I don't know why you all care about pvp in dark souls. It's a jrpg ffs and the point is the single player. PvP is just shoe horned in for dumb reasons.

If you want a sword based PvP game go play chivalry or war of the roses.

lmao

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wagrid posted:

Literally nobody will judge you for just using Cheat Engine if you're on PC.

Fromsoft might :negative:

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

So I found the respec lady and immediately reallocated my points out of Vit, because this isn't Bloodborne why am I being so silly?

Except now while trying to farm up some sunbro tokens I'm getting one-shotted by being merely clipped by the Dancer :negative:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Is there a single way to punish people who roll+l1 with the gotterd twinswords when you have a shield and straightsword? Because it looks literally instantaneous and he's mostly in i-frames until he feels like stabbing me at which point he is unpunishable. Either I eat the stamina damage to the shield and he rolls away before I can punish or I get the full damage by trying to ever hit him. The only licks I got in were before he decided this was the only move required to win.

I have the spider shield so parrying at this point in time was not an option.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

StrangeAeon posted:

So I found the respec lady and immediately reallocated my points out of Vit, because this isn't Bloodborne why am I being so silly?

Except now while trying to farm up some sunbro tokens I'm getting one-shotted by being merely clipped by the Dancer :negative:

surely you mean vigor. this isnt bloodborne

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Harrow posted:

Bring back the Scraping Spear.

PvP should be about invaders being dicks to people. Honorable duels are for chumps :colbert:

this and buff acid surge and i would be happy with pvp as is because then i could stop caring about winning and start caring about loving their poo poo up

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
So I just invaded someone and they had this weird blue/white phantom with them. I could not lock onto the phantom... Was this a hacker? Or am I missing something?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

.Ataraxia. posted:

So I just invaded someone and they had this weird blue/white phantom with them. I could not lock onto the phantom... Was this a hacker? Or am I missing something?

A blue-white phantom is a Blade of the Darkmoon, probably summoned in to help when you invaded them. As to why you couldn't lock on, that I have no idea.

Wagrid
Mar 15, 2014

Just a perfectly normal farm hand.

Your Computer posted:

Getting away with using cheat engine to skip grinding is the real Dark Souls.

Also, I'd like to officially jump on the Vitality is a dump stat band wagon.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

.Ataraxia. posted:

It's blue/black and not blue/white but this post gave me an idea. What if we had a spell that gave us Pontiff's phase 2 clone? :aaa: Like, you cast the spell and for a certain # of seconds you'll have a shadow that'll mimic your moves delayed by a second or w/e.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Now I really want to do a Dex/Luck bleed build.

Start as a Warrior (somehow 5 entire levels better for this than a Thief?), 40 Dex, 40 Luck, 35 Vigor, 30 Endurance. Carthus Curved Sword, make it Hollow which apparently retains C Dex scaling, buff with Carthus Rouge, murder everyone.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Your Computer posted:

No kidding.

I can grant people Concords by smacking them with my sword, but I have no idea if From will do anything.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I love it when people invade using the Zweihander

I mess with them by slowly moving backwards, and their attacks all miss me :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tallgeese posted:

No kidding.

I can grant people Concords by smacking them with my sword, but I have no idea if From will do anything.

Pretty much the only reason I'm not just dumping 30 ears into my box is because I'm too incompetent at computer to not get hit. I just want a purple sword, god damnit!