Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Have the devs talked much about replayability?

For example, once we beat a campaign level, will be be able to replay it again at any time by selecting it from some menu or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

khwarezm posted:

Remind me to not put fun Easter eggs in any games I make since somebody will take that as an opportunity to go full sperglord for god knows what reason.

That ain't anywhere near full sperglord for Doom fans. Full sperglord would be complaining that the game doesn't shift into 320x200, 8-bit color mode that disables jumping and vertical mouselook and whatever else doesn't replicate vanilla Doom exactly in the classic map zones.

Gobblecoque posted:

I actually didn't remember what part of Doom that easter egg came out of until I saw this video because the lighting was basically the defining feature of that area.

It's important and not nitpicking for this reason, lighting variation is a huge part of what makes classic Doom maps unique and memorable. It has a big impact on the gameplay, to the point where there's even a light amplification visor item. I don't think it matters at all for the easter egg bits but I do hope the actual levels faithfully replicate the lighting.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

my bony fealty posted:

It's important and not nitpicking for this reason, lighting variation is a huge part of what makes classic Doom maps unique and memorable. It has a big impact on the gameplay, to the point where there's even a light amplification visor item. I don't think it matters at all for the easter egg bits but I do hope the actual levels faithfully replicate the lighting.

God drat. How can anyone care this much.

I am the world's biggest Doom fan. A not-insignificant portion of my life has been spent playing, replaying, and obsessing over vanilla Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, Doom 64, and yes, Doom 3.

I think it's really stupid to worry about a little bonus novelty in the new Doom because I can still play the originals. They're right there on my PC.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zaphod42 posted:

Hm, I didn't remember that much nuance to it before, but now that you mention it I can recall that "thinking you're dead when the screen goes dark red for a little longer" experience happening to me a few times.

New Doom does have a red flash though, so there ya go. Now the only question I guess is, does the red flash indicate how much damage like in the original? And if not that's an easy thing for them to change.

Yep it does, in that gameplay clip the red gets much more noticeable when he got blasted down to low health.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mung Dynasty posted:

God drat. How can anyone care this much.

I am the world's biggest Doom fan. A not-insignificant portion of my life has been spent playing, replaying, and obsessing over vanilla Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, Doom 64, and yes, Doom 3.

I think it's really stupid to worry about a little bonus novelty in the new Doom because I can still play the originals. They're right there on my PC.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like it's a make-or-break issue for whether I'm going to buy the game or not, and I'm definitely more inclined to buy it on release day now that I know about the bonus levels - not for the extra content itself, but because it shows that the devs are Doom fans themselves which is a great sign. I would just prefer that the levels be as close as possible to the originals, ya know?

What's more exciting is the inevitable deluge of classic Doom map remakes, seems like they'll play a lot better in Doom 2016 than any of the Doom 3 ones did.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I remember Gates of Limbo being the worst of Doom level design. Lots of ugly open spaces, backtracking without anything to guide you, sending you to a maze where you could miss important items.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Literally everyone mad about doom in this thread is going to buy it day one lol

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

echronorian posted:

I'm mad about R4TARD but I would never spend 60 dollars on a videogame.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm at best mildly displeased and lol at the idea of spending more than $5 on this

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

echronorian posted:

Retard 3 spotted

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Jesus, this level of hate and nit-pickyness is reminiscent of NMA pre Fallout 3.

The game looks fun and the mp, despite the fact that it's not Q3A is fun too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm at best mildly displeased and lol at the idea of spending more than $5 on this

I guess you could get Ultimate Doom for $4.99 on steam. You're quite the frugal gamer.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
"this is what doom is all about" *canned melee qte animation plays*

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I just watched through that big campaign stream/interview, and I'm generally quite impressed with what I'm seeing. It's not identical to Doom 1/2, but it's a hell of a lot closer in spirit to those two than anything we saw in Doom 3. I kinda like the cornball 90s comicbook vibe of it all - reminds me of Darksiders - and the villains are hilariously villainous. An entire base of UAC scientists turned cyborg demon-cultists? Yeah, I can roll with that.

I also like the idea of the BFG and Chainsaw being special smartbombs type items with their own permanent HUD placements, rather than existing on the regular weapon wheel.

One reservation I do have is something that I noticed when comparing the Snapmap stream to the campaign one: All the Snapmap stuff seems to adhere to the multiplayer ruleset, so no weapon-wheels, no customization for your suit/guns/runes, etc, unless I'm missing something. While the scripting side of things we've seen is pretty flexible, that'd be a really sad restriction if they applied it to even singleplayer custom maps.

Generally speaking, though, I'm down with NuDoom now. I was on the fence up til' this point, but I think I might try and get this on or near launch. At least it's under $50 if you get it via GMG thanks to their big 20% off coupon.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I'm furious about all these rational nitpickers because I grew up on ID games and like anyone else who did I clearly remember paying 100 dollars for the new Doom title with DLC for the 4th and 5th maps unlocked. I remember being 10 years old and saying: I hope they add rocket jumps in Doom 3 and everyone loves doing it online on multiplayer then when the 100 dollar sequel comes out they don't bother putting it in even though everyone liked it.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Heavy Metal posted:

I guess you could get Ultimate Doom for $4.99 on steam. You're quite the frugal gamer.

I live in a garbage country with terrible purchasing power so that probably comes out to $20 relative to American disposable income

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

dangerdoom volvo posted:

the most powerful pickup in doom 2 makes your hand explode enemies like a rocket launcher

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Stuntman posted:

I'm mad about R4TARD but I would never spend 60 dollars on a videogame.

lol are you poor? thats the cost of a night out and there are seven days in a week so im assuming you are poor

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the most powerful pickup in doom 2 makes your hand explode enemies like a rocket launcher

what are you implying

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Someone ask John Romero if he would have added melee executions to Doom if he could have in 1993

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

dangerdoom volvo posted:

what are you inferring

that while silly, crazy melee kill animations are hardly out of step with what doom "is about."

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

that while silly, crazy melee kill animations are hardly out of step with what doom "is about."

Also it's likely that without the existence of brutal doom we would have gotten call of doom

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
thats a stupid thing to say and think

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If this thread taught me anything, it's that there are about 100 distinct sets of Doom nostalgia, and everyone gets real mad that there are 99 others.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

dangerdoom volvo posted:

thats a stupid thing to say and think

Yeah except for the fact the devs have publicly said the first version of the game was call of doom

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

HMS Boromir posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but I do kind of get the sentiment. Like another guy said earlier in the thread, I want this, but not 60-bucks-want. I'll wait for a Steam sale.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mr.Citrus posted:

Yeah except for the fact the devs have publicly said the first version of the game was call of doom

i actually remember the trailer for that. it looked kinda bad

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Johnny Joestar posted:

i actually remember the trailer for that. it looked kinda bad

I'm of two different opinions. On the one hand, a fallout-style game where I play the resistance against a demon invasion of Earth in the doom universe is a game I would like to play, but I'm really happy that Doom 2016 is the game we're actually getting.

If Doom became a Bethesda franchise, I wouldn't mind them being a little more experimental with the setting premise. Doom RPG in the Fallout 4 engine? Sure, don't mind if I do.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Mr.Citrus posted:

not you the guy who compared murderhand powerup to triggered melee execution animations on weakened enemies

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

dangerdoom volvo posted:

not you the guy who compared murderhand powerup to triggered melee execution animations on weakened enemies

Yeah, that's definitely a big enough distinction and issue to start being an annoying dork about it. Good call.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah, that's definitely a big enough distinction and issue to start being an annoying dork about it. Good call.

how rude

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
DOOM is really great and there are a lot of things DOOM does that DOOM also does. Of course, there are also things in DOOM that aren't in DOOM and DOOM doesn't seem to "feel" like the better DOOM but I'm sure both DOOM and DOOM are fun. DOOM has come full circle from DOOM to DOOM and back to DOOM again.

loving stop it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

if you dont learn from history... you are DOOMed to repeat it :smuggo:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

treat posted:

DOOM is really great and there are a lot of things DOOM does that DOOM also does. Of course, there are also things in DOOM that aren't in DOOM and DOOM doesn't seem to "feel" like the better DOOM but I'm sure both DOOM and DOOM are fun. DOOM has come full circle from DOOM to DOOM and back to DOOM again.

LoL

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

echronorian posted:

lol are you poor? thats the cost of a night out and there are seven days in a week so im assuming you are poor
Yes.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

SP DOOM looks like a really cool update to one of my most favorite shooters, so I'll probably pick it up during the winter sale. I guess that's my Doom story.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO MY BEAUTIFUL DOOM!?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wow there is something so loving massively important that they left out for this little easter egg and it's driving me absolutely B A N A N A S. i'm not mentally ill, why would you ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the texture alignment is basically all wrong