Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Uh, being able to alt swap reliably on Velia 01 sounds pretty drat compelling, we should explore that more.

Especially because pretty much all the votes for Balenos in ParksandRec and Serendia in Goontang are just people bandwagoning because none of us give a drat. I don't think anyone has a real investment in either node.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is swapping free?

Also, I just made a Sorceress and snagged the name "Punch_Witch" somehow.

Edit: Are names reserved by server or globally?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Is swapping free?

Thats because PunchWitch belongs to me

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Thats because PunchWitch belongs to me

It's the ol' Spider-Man vs. Spiderman debate.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Is swapping free?

Edit: Are names reserved by server or globally?

Yes, nodes != servers, you can change at any time (within the same server). The only reason it matters at all is that people need to be on the same node to see guild quests

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Yes, nodes != servers, you can change at any time (within the same server). The only reason it matters at all is that people need to be on the same node to see guild quests

Oh, okay. Thanks.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Oh, okay. Thanks.

:thumbsup:

Grith, let the record show that I hereby change my vote from "gently caress man I don't care" to Velia 01, for the reasons sperged above.

I don't actually have issues swapping characters, but that seems like a big quality of life deal for people who do

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 28, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Serendia 01 is now so busy that I'm barred from entering, hahahah gently caress.

Lewtt, I'll try again later. For now, I have to go to work.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I got DCed from Serendia O1 just riding a horse in circles so my vote is for Velia O1

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only
Anyone have any good resource links on hand for figuring out the flow of this game? I'm trying to break out of the whole follow quest chain to the next area mentality and want to play this game effectively.

KillTrash
Dec 6, 2007

Game Fiend

commander nojj posted:

Anyone have any good resource links on hand for figuring out the flow of this game? I'm trying to break out of the whole follow quest chain to the next area mentality and want to play this game effectively.

I use this spreadsheet to check on a bunch of different guides. Give it a try.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

KillTrash posted:

Hooooooo boy, am I gonna go nuts with this

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I'm getting annoyed by the lack of feed in the market so I'm probably going to start producing my own. So I have like a hundred contribution points I'm not using outside of some storage space in some areas. What would be the best place to invest these to start my pet feed mill?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

commander nojj posted:

Dulfy is where I point new players. There is so much info out there and tons of guides. Dulfy is far from a comprehensive source but it goes over many of the major features.

http://dulfy.net/category/bdo/

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

The problem is two out of three ingredients in pet feed can't be easily node-farmed. You still need to come up with meat and fish. Dried fish can be bought on the marketplace (supposedly nodes can be used to slowly harvest fresh ones, but I haven't found where), but you'll need to gather the meat from foxes/weasels/sheep because poo poo's never on the marketplace, ever.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

KillTrash posted:

Owns, ty

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

The problem is two out of three ingredients in pet feed can't be easily node-farmed. You still need to come up with meat and fish. Dried fish can be bought on the marketplace (supposedly nodes can be used to slowly harvest fresh ones, but I haven't found where), but you'll need to gather the meat from foxes/weasels/sheep because poo poo's never on the marketplace, ever.

Takes like 20-30 mins to get 200+ fox meat and you can do it on a low level if you want.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

Takes like 20-30 mins to get 200+ fox meat and you can do it on a low level if you want.

I have I think 80 energy right now, and apprentice gathering (1-2 meat per hit) which is also on my cooking character, so I need to save some energy to do the actual cooking (oh and flour grinding). I top out around 75 meat in a gathering session, which is a whopping 12 feed.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I'm getting annoyed by the lack of feed in the market so I'm probably going to start producing my own. So I have like a hundred contribution points I'm not using outside of some storage space in some areas. What would be the best place to invest these to start my pet feed mill?

The reason there's not much feed on the market is cause most if it is your own work. You need flour(grinding grains), red meat(butchering yo dang self) and fish, and I couldn't get fish traps to work. It's less a question of contribution and more a question of energy and time, cause you're going to have to do a lot of cutting up pigs and crackin' wheat to feed your pet the good stuff.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Grondoth posted:

The reason there's not much feed on the market is cause most if it is your own work. You need flour(grinding grains), red meat(butchering yo dang self) and fish, and I couldn't get fish traps to work. It's less a question of contribution and more a question of energy and time, cause you're going to have to do a lot of cutting up pigs and crackin' wheat to feed your pet the good okay stuff.

Butchering and wheat cracking is the entry level crafted food, if you want the good stuff be ready to farm onions and do some more middle cooking step bullshit.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
BTW Serendia 1 is also alt swapping friendly, so I'm changing my vote to that.

commander nojj
Feb 9, 2007
the one and only
I appreciate the links! I'm going to comb through these and really jump into it finally.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Speaking of the links, one of them says the following: "First thing I did was make 4 characters. Abuse the early on easy contribution points.
You can get about 80 CP in a day."

What early on contribution points is this in reference to? Beginner quests? I got bogged down trying to do them all on my tamer, and it definitely took more than a day. So I'm assuming this is in reference to some specific sets of quests, or something. Anyone know?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You will want to go for Organic Feed as it provides more satiety to the pet. The hard parts to get for the recipe are milk/oatmeal, meat and dried fish. At skilled 5 I usually make 3 in one go of the recipe.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

flyboi posted:

You will want to go for Organic Feed as it provides more satiety to the pet. The hard parts to get for the recipe are milk/oatmeal, meat and dried fish. At skilled 5 I usually make 3 in one go of the recipe.

Alternatively, buy a big pile of poo poo feed from the Stable NPC, and put it on your hotbar. Takes like 2 seconds to completely fill up all my pets bars with it. Each costs 500 moneys, and I think it's about 120 or so to feed 3 pets to fullness.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Kaedric posted:

Alternatively, buy a big pile of poo poo feed from the Stable NPC, and put it on your hotbar. Takes like 2 seconds to completely fill up all my pets bars with it. Each costs 500 moneys, and I think it's about 120 or so to feed 3 pets to fullness.

doesn't that work out to be substantially more expensive in the long run, and also heavy as gently caress to haul around?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Butchering and wheat cracking is the entry level crafted food, if you want the good stuff be ready to farm onions and do some more middle cooking step bullshit.

Still need that hot cracked wheat and nice butchered meat

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

What's the best grind spot for level 50? Still catfish with Mediah out? I suppose leeching off a Susans group would be the best, but what about solo?

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

doesn't that work out to be substantially more expensive in the long run, and also heavy as gently caress to haul around?

Hard to say, depends on if you view opportunity cost as a thing. I think decent pet feed will go for ~9k on the market, super feed a bit more unless I'm mistaken so just selling them (even with the 35% cut) I think is efficient, not to mention the 'cost' of using energy to craft, in addition to your own time. I think feed weighs .3 LT which kinda sucks but generally speaking I just log on, buy a stack, stuff it in bird faces and go do things. You only really need to keep like 5 feeds in your pocket in case you run out and just want them to pick up poo poo for you for a few mins.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Depends. If he could make up the money difference doing literally anything else in the same amount of time as he spent processing then ....

Also you don't haul it. You buy it and use it all in one go.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Fair enough. Cooking it is a pain in the rear end. I guess even if the opportunity cost doesn't equal out, it's worth paying the premium to spend my time doing something fun... and there's got to be a better way to level gathering/processing/cooking.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think that it costs around the same buying from an npc and buying "good" ones from the auction house. It still comes up between 80k-90k to fully top off 3 pets either way.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Eltoasto posted:

What's the best grind spot for level 50? Still catfish with Mediah out? I suppose leeching off a Susans group would be the best, but what about solo?

If you feel confident in your gear enchantment levels to stomp around Mediah then I'd recommend Helms. Otherwise probably catfish yeah.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Good Feed isn't so awful for me as a Pro 8 cook. I get 3-5 per craft (leaning towards 5) and pick up the pork from cooking dailies so I don't have to waste time on pigs.

Speaking of pigs, I'm really not all that keen to start collecting pig blood for Dark Pudding. Do high skilled gatherers get a noticeable difference from animal products? I might actually do dumb mining circuits to level gathering if so.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Fair enough. Cooking it is a pain in the rear end. I guess even if the opportunity cost doesn't equal out, it's worth paying the premium to spend my time doing something fun... and there's got to be a better way to level gathering/processing/cooking.

No, theres nothing better than leveling those. Disagree & downvoted

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

I have I think 80 energy right now, and apprentice gathering (1-2 meat per hit) which is also on my cooking character, so I need to save some energy to do the actual cooking (oh and flour grinding). I top out around 75 meat in a gathering session, which is a whopping 12 feed.

Make 4 alts and have them start collecting the energy. Then do the flour grinding and on an alt. Do your beer making on an alt. Do the meat grinding on an alt that you want to eventually take to 50 maybe. Learn to use the alts energy to help you save your energy for the good poo poo.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Eltoasto posted:

Depends on your gear and class. Mediah mobs are worth a lot more experience than pre-mediah mobs though, so if you can take them it's worth it. Try out helms and see how you do. Keep an eye out for the hunters (the little guys with the crossbows), they will gently caress you up so kill them first. If helms are too tough, you can try running over to the abandoned iron mine and see how that goes, it's easier than helms. You could also try manes but the manes fighters will grab you and do a ton of damage if you let them so you have to keep moving or knock them down, I find that place rather annoying because of that.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I was doing decent with the Manes back with a +10 weap, so i'll head back over there and try it out since I should have it +15 tonight or tomorrow, thanks.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

Make 4 alts and have them start collecting the energy. Then do the flour grinding and on an alt. Do your beer making on an alt. Do the meat grinding on an alt that you want to eventually take to 50 maybe. Learn to use the alts energy to help you save your energy for the good poo poo.

Gotcha. I wanted all my life skills on one character, but at my level it's definitely holding me back. I'll make my tamer the meat gatherer then, since I'm no longer positive I want her to be my main, but I still really like the class and will probably take it to 50 no matter what. Berserker is already my fishing bitch, so maybe I'll make my girlfriend's tamer the cook and my sorceress can be the processor.

I have one alt slot left (will probably buy more because I also want to try plum and wizard) and I have a question about warrior/valk... is the shieldplay and blocking stuff fun? The classes on the surface look pretty bland, but shieldfightin' sounds like a unique deal, which has me thinking about making a Valk since they keep the shield in their awakening weapon.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Blocking is something you get used to popping when you are about to get hit. Valk sort of gets one dimensional when leveling because the ultimate shield throw completely wrecks everything and there is no point in using anything else while killing mobs except maybe the light spear attack that buffs your crit rating.