Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Young Giorno fan art that doesn't give him the black bowlcut is also a pet peeve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

My jojo pet peeve is people not recognizing that Jolyne is the Coolest, Cutest and Best Jojo btw

I'm sorry but

Johnny exists

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Oh strange pet peeve: people saying that Joseph was the strongest JoJo. This annoys me because what made him so fun was that he wasn't the strongest, he was probably literally the weakest JoJo out of them all. He just happened to win due to a combination of good ol' Luck & Pluck. When someone says he's the strongest I feel like they're selling him as a character for the wrong reasons.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Josuke is so best JoJo he takes #1 and #2.

It sucks for all other JoJos because they're all great in their own way.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Moltrey posted:

I really don't have any super pet peeves in the series really, other than poo poo like Yasuho Getting Sexually Assaulted being used as a plot device, not even just once iirc Multiple Older Men Loving A 14 Year Old, and Yukako Only Existing To Love A Main Character. With fandom stuff, it's mostly people taking one look at the Part 4 anime and saying This Isn't JoJo Anymore is super frustrating along with the unstoppable fire people have for Joseph Joestar as the greatest JoJo and that Araki set out to ruin his character in later years.

yeah, this stuff is also a definite beef i have. it's just really not necessary and there's other ways to build tension that don't specifically target certain groups. at least yukako gets another go-around in the form of karera, sorta?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Eh, maybe "overpowered" isn't the best way to put it, but it's reasonable enough to have a distaste for protagonists who win just because they've just got this absurd ability that can't really be surmounted. It's one thing if the bad guy has that going for them, because then there's a lot of drama in our heroes finally pinning them down, but when the guy you're rooting for is such a wrecking ball, it's much harder for people to get invested.

It's no mystery that turns a lot of people off of Jotaro in Part 3. Whenever he's the only one who's left and he can't punch the problem away, he pulls some random new power completely out of his rear end and wins or just hulks up and punches the problem anyway. Now, personally, it doesn't bother me much, but I wouldn't find him very interesting if it weren't for Parts 4 and 6 that shed some more light on his character and also make him more vulnerable.

Well he specifically referred to stands like White Album (which is strong, but overpowered?) and Green Day. But yeah, he really seemed to hate Gold Experience as well.

At least I got him to admit that Bruno and Mista and their stands are awesome.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Y'all selling Yukako short.

Like, is your entire beef with her existence being focused on Koichi rooted in the fact she's a woman? 'cos she gets a lot more screen time than other Part 4 villains (to the point she actually becomes a protagonist with more than her initial plot line). Shigechi exists to die, as does Aya. Yuuya gets one more small appearance to sniff out Terunosuke. Shinobu is "oblivious housewife". Tomoko is "oblivious mom". Tonio gets to show up once more with no lines, though they say the whole gang goes to his restaurant often.

There's also this on the wiki which peeves me because it's very stupid and presumptious.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 28, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

Jotaro beats Kakyoin with punching, beats Dark Blue Moon and Strength with Star Finger, Yellow Temperance he has to use the water, beats Wheel of Fortune just with punching, beats justice with his never used before or again super breathing, beats The Sun by throwing a rock (though that was a dumb joke fight the whole time), beats High Priestess by punching really hard, N'doul is neat because he throws Iggy and all that, beats Anubis by punching the sword (and then Iggy kicks it into the river), beats Alessi with punching (but as a kid!), beats old D'arby by just being so cool that he bluffs him out (yeah I know, blah blah blah, D'Arby thought Jotaro could also stop time), didn't actually beat young D'arby, and then beat Dio by pulling time stop out of his rear end.

This super-oversimplifies things, he forced Kakyoin's stand into the open with his teeth, tricked Tennille with the cigarette smoke, dug a loving tunnel to get in range of Wheel of Fortune, Justice okay that was weird but there was the name-trick beforehand, High Preistess point taken, Anubis he trapped the stand with his stomach before breaking it, the Alessi beatdown was rad gently caress you, the D'arby bluff was AMAZING gently caress you again, young D'arby was a team effort, and the last Dio fight involved a shitload of tactics beforehand like the magnet trick and stopping his own heart.

Basically, "Jotaro wins every fight by asspull" is only valid if you only look at the end of every fight, 90% of the time there's at least some legit strategy going on to get in asspull range.

(my pet peeve is the "which part should I start at????" and "everything is filler" people, also the constant speculative episode listings before the anime comes out)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Y'all selling Yukako short.

Like, is your entire beef with her existence being focused on Koichi rooted in the fact she's a woman? 'cos she gets a lot more screen time than other Part 4 villains (to the point she actually becomes a protagonist with more than her initial plot line). Shigechi exists to die, as does Aya. Yuuya gets one more small appearance to sniff out Terunosuke. Shinobu is "oblivious housewife". Tomoko is "oblivious mom". Tonio gets to show up once more with no lines, though they say the whole gang goes to his restaurant often.

Also Yukako is treated as more of an actual threat than basically anyone else in the part. She's super hardcore and powerful and she integrates really well into The Gang after she and Koichi become a thing.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The problem with Yukako is that she exists to do is Love Koici. Her entire motivation is I Love Koichi. All she ever talks to anyone about is how much she loves Koichi. All anyone ever talks to her about is her love live and that she loves Koichi. And that kind of character isn't in and of itself, Bad. It's just on top of three other parts of female characters in JoJo getting the raw end of the deal and finally there's one with a super power with a connection to a main character and all she is here do is love loving Koichi. Her initial appearance is fun and neat and she's fun character to watch, but she's shuffled off screen and when she's brought out again, Boy She Still Loves Koichi.

I dunno maybe I need to stay in my lane, and JoJo is definitely a product of its time, but it's just a bad taste in my mouth that the only relevant female character in Part 4 is a girl whose entire character is centered around another character and might be very mentally imbalanced given her first portrayal. I'm not trying to say that Araki has negative views about woman and Yukako is his thesis on what all women are actually like and that you have to be offended by Yukako, it's just a weird place to take your first female main character with this new cool power system you've made. Yukako's Stand is cool, and I wish she stuck around to gently caress up more poo poo with her hair.

Kaera is def another pass at Yukako and though her character is very largely centered around that she likes Josefumi (and why wouldn't you), she acts, talks and thinks more like a person and is just more interesting. She's not a cartoon character that leaps to feeding Josefumi scraps of paper and plans to electrocute him. She's just kinda lonely and got a powerful crush on a cute boy which is a way more interesting and relatable character.

e: Please let me know how Yukako integrates with the gang because literally all I remember is Josuke threatening to kill her if she fucks with his boy, Koichi, Joseph giving her some advice and her Posing with everyone else when they vow to catch Kira and then I'm pretty sure we never see her again outside of group shots.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 28, 2016

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RaspberryCommie posted:

Well he specifically referred to stands like White Album (which is strong, but overpowered?) and Green Day. But yeah, he really seemed to hate Gold Experience as well.

At least I got him to admit that Bruno and Mista and their stands are awesome.

One of the weirdest things about Part 5 is knowing Giorno can, at any time, have his bug boy punch some pixie dust into a rock and suddenly it could become a rose or a tarantula or whatever in the goddamn hell he feels like.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
The anime name changes dink me off because I really liked that all the stand names were just straight up songs names/band names... I don't mind reference names like Worse Company so much but I still prefer the original way

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i'm not really saying anything beyond 'i wish yukako did more things on her own because she's cool' and i'm also not a huge member of the koichi fan club so that doesn't help matters. karera is neat because she has a more mysterious role to play and while she definitely had something for josefumi we've already seen how that ended up.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
People who said their pet peeve is people complaining about the name changes I've got one word for you: The page with jolyne doing the world's gestures for "gently caress off"

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's going to be fun explaining that Haruno Shiobana is pronounced in Japanese in a similar way to Giorno Giovanna in Italian to explain GioGio to the anime thread every week.

... Araki pulled some primo bullshit out to get his italian Joestar.

He must have been so distraught to learn there wasn't a J in Italian, or at least not pronounced the right way.

I think there's an author's note about it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Sheer Heart Attack should've been Yukako and Koichi fighting Kira when like they're on a date or something, I dunno. Let Yukako do stuff other than sit around and want koichi to like her.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
The only hang-up I have is with some fans who seem to think Jojo is some kind of "bad-on-purpouse" thing that cultivates ironic distance, when the reason why it's good is the complete opposite.

It's refreshing to have something that doesn't hide behind a hundred layers of jokey irreverence. It's instead completely sincere and uapologetic about itself, no matter how strange it gets.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

The problem with Yukako is that she exists to do is Love Koici. Her entire motivation is I Love Koichi. All she ever talks to anyone about is how much she loves Koichi. All anyone ever talks to her about is her love live and that she loves Koichi. And that kind of character isn't in and of itself, Bad. It's just on top of three other parts of female characters in JoJo getting the raw end of the deal and finally there's one with a super power with a connection to a main character and all she is here do is love loving Koichi. Her initial appearance is fun and neat and she's fun character to watch, but she's shuffled off screen and when she's brought out again, Boy She Still Loves Koichi.

I dunno maybe I need to stay in my lane, and JoJo is definitely a product of its time, but it's just a bad taste in my mouth that the only relevant female character in Part 4 is a girl whose entire character is centered around another character and might be very mentally imbalanced given her first portrayal. I'm not trying to say that Araki has negative views about woman and Yukako is his thesis on what all women are actually like and that you have to be offended by Yukako, it's just a weird place to take your first female main character with this new cool power system you've made. Yukako's Stand is cool, and I wish she stuck around to gently caress up more poo poo with her hair.

Kaera is def another pass at Yukako and though her character is very largely centered around that she likes Josefumi (and why wouldn't you), she acts, talks and thinks more like a person and is just more interesting. She's not a cartoon character that leaps to feeding Josefumi scraps of paper and plans to electrocute him. She's just kinda lonely and got a powerful crush on a cute boy which is a way more interesting and relatable character.

e: Please let me know how Yukako integrates with the gang because literally all I remember is Josuke threatening to kill her if she fucks with his boy, Koichi, Joseph giving her some advice and her Posing with everyone else when they vow to catch Kira

She's not a main character though. There's only 5 people in the Duwang Gang's team who would pass as main characters. She's one of the premier B listers, but she's still a B lister. She's not going to change greatly off screen between arcs because then she's not Yukako anymore.

Reimi is almost certainly the lead female character DiU though, and is the initial motivating factor for finding Kira in the end.

Tamami is still a total scamming prick when he re-appears. She's not the only one whose primary traits don't change between re-appearances.

She's shown drinking with Josuke and Okuyasu while Rohan is skulking around, which is pretty significant character development without actually telling us anything. She's trying to get over her grievances with the other ones around to be better all around.

And I'm not sold on Karera being another pass of her either. You wouldn't argue that Kira Yoshikage of JoJolion is another go at Kira Yoshikage of part 4, despite be the links between the two of them being much stronger, down to the Mona Lisa, nail clippings, hand fetishes and attacks. She's Yukako two on the face of it at best. It's a result of Araki's writing that he can make Karera an interesting, potentially villainous, and deep character without leaning on basically anything in common between the two characters other than a craving for dick.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 28, 2016

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Hopeford posted:

Oh strange pet peeve: people saying that Joseph was the strongest JoJo. This annoys me because what made him so fun was that he wasn't the strongest, he was probably literally the weakest JoJo out of them all. He just happened to win due to a combination of good ol' Luck & Pluck. When someone says he's the strongest I feel like they're selling him as a character for the wrong reasons.

And I think Joseph is the only Jojo to not do a proper punch rush, he just pulls out a machine gun and goes to town! Giorno is a middle schooler with a physique that can be described as Prince-esque and he gets like 7 straight pages of punching, while beefcake Joseph is a smug, lazy rear end in a top hat whose trump cards are "gun" and "run away." Unless they meant strongest as "best overall chances of winning a fight," but even then...

Like, Joseph would be the guy who could pretty easily pass a course if he showed even a modicum of effort, but instead chooses to gently caress around and ends up putting in waaay more time and energy trying to cheat his way through the final exam. Even if he gets an A, that doesn't make him a good student, you know?

Moltrey posted:

Sheer Heart Attack should've been Yukako and Koichi fighting Kira when like they're on a date or something, I dunno. Let Yukako do stuff other than sit around and want koichi to like her.

the first time Kira would try to threaten Koichi he would just get murdered by Yukako and the story would end there tbh

I also have similar misgivings about Yukako (and sort of about Trish too, actually, in the sense that she's literally the only female character in part 5 who's not somebody's mom or a bystander; seriously Passione needs more inclusive hiring policies or something), but the fact that Annasui later returns to fit the "character is only motivated by and is involved in the plot due to their obsessive romantic interest in the protagonist" archetype but as a guy is...semi-interesting. I don't know. Miss me with that straight poo poo, honestly

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
As far as the actual manga goes, I really didn't like the way Lucy was threatened with rape so often and has multiple older men want to marry her. That got really annoying.

And as far as fandom goes, I really can't stand it when people say Pucci isn't black. Look at him. That is a black man.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I think it's best to view Yukako in the context of Araki's growth as a writer. I'm phoneposting so I don't have it but there's an author's note where Araki Says(tm) that he wanted to show that women were capable of being scary as antagonists on their own. He basically created her as an apology for Lisa Lisa, and then Jolyne to further apologize for Yukako's shortcomings

Araki still isn't perfect, the stuff with Yasuho getting assaulted was super gross, but he's trying.

Although he is an immortal vampire so maybe we should hold him to a higher standard....

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Like, I'm not saying it's wrong to have grievances about her character, but even in the context of Diamond is Unbreakable, never mind JoJo as a whole, picking Yukako as a troublesome character is a strange choice. Shinobu's entire resolution is "I'll keep her uninformed because she can't take it".

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Like, I'm not saying it's wrong to have grievances about her character, but even in the context of Diamond is Unbreakable, never mind JoJo as a whole, picking Yukako as a troublesome character is a strange choice. Shinobu's entire resolution is "I'll keep her uninformed because she can't take it".

I think part of it is just that there's a lot more to say about Yukako's character than "Boy, Araki whiffed it there huh?"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
To be fair, I would also not tell my mom that the version of my father she finally started to love was a serial killer for the past few months that stole Dad's face, used me as a bomb and had me kill like five people.

She's not a main character though. There's only 5 people in the Duwang Gang's team who would pass as main characters. She's one of the premier B listers, but she's still a B lister. She's not going to change greatly off screen between arcs because then she's not Yukako anymore.

Reimi is almost certainly the lead female character DiU though, and is the initial motivating factor for finding Kira in the end.

Tamami is still a total scamming prick when he re-appears. She's not the only one whose primary traits don't change between re-appearances.

She's shown drinking with Josuke and Okuyasu while Rohan is skulking around, which is pretty significant character development without actually telling us anything. She's trying to get over her grievances with the other ones around to be better all around.

And I'm not sold on Karera being another pass of her either. You wouldn't argue that Kira Yoshikage of JoJolion is another go at Kira Yoshikage of part 4, despite be the links between the two of them being much stronger, down to the Mona Lisa, nail clippings, hand fetishes and attacks. She's Yukako two on the face of it at best. It's a result of Araki's writing that he can make Karera an interesting, potentially villainous, and deep character without leaning on basically anything in common between the two characters other than a craving for dick.
I'm not asking necessarily Yukako to undergo massive character development on or off screen, I just want Yukako to have a more interesting character at all. Her one-note thing about being Koichi's girlfriend and maaaybe being a bit crazy and real eye-rolling and lame for Part 4's closest thing to a female main character. The panel of her hanging with Josuke and Okuyasu is really cool, I apparently have zero memory of that, I want more of that

You're right that Yukako's not the strongest pick for this kind of debate, but her place in Part 4 still just "Ehhh" to me.

And no, I wouldn't argue that Kira and Josefumi and Yoshikage and Josuke 2.0 because they have super, super different roles in their story. Kira is basically the main character of that group, with Josefumi right behind, both working together against the Rock Human mafia to save a mom. Kaera however is a lot closer to her counterpart without being a 1:1. Yeah, Kaera is a bit more hard, scamming shop owners and stealing dude's pin numbers to jack their bank accounts, that's sick as hell. But she still severed as a love interest to Josefumi and is only on the periphery of the larger story right now. The Soccer Boys saw her as something to be eliminated but as we saw from the flashback arcs, she really didn't have much to do, much like Yukako doesn't over the main plot of Part 4. So yeah, she's totally not Another Yukako, but as far as SBRverse reference characters that are important, she shares more in common with her past self than others. Heck, her Stand is the same thing but just with the first word of it's name being repeated twice, even though Love Love Deluxe's possible applications are much cooler imo.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 28, 2016

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

:swoon:

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I'm sorry but

Johnny exists

Johnny is ashamed of his fetish and threatens his friend if he tells anyone, Jolyne is open about the fact that she wishes she could gently caress everything as a snail, point Jolyne :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Johnny lives in the 1800s, where people are more likely to kinkshame him. Jolyne lives in the enlightened 21st century, where we are more accepting of people getting their freak on.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Do you think Valentine knew that Scarlet was a lesbian, and more to the point, do you think he found it arousing?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Yes, no

Want to read a comedy doujin about Yasuho and Gappy in the bedroom

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Funky Valentine posted:

Do you think Valentine knew that Scarlet was a lesbian, and more to the point, do you think he found it arousing?

She was Bi.

And I can't figure he cares; didn't she mention he stopped having sex once he realized what the Corpse parts were? (she didn't know what the Corpse Parts were but implied it was kind of recent)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yukako suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Baal posted:

Yukako suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

Hello Yukako. just kidding

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

no they will not posted:

Hello Yukako. just kidding

wow

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Moltrey posted:

e: Please let me know how Yukako integrates with the gang because literally all I remember is Josuke threatening to kill her if she fucks with his boy, Koichi, Joseph giving her some advice and her Posing with everyone else when they vow to catch Kira and then I'm pretty sure we never see her again outside of group shots.

Is she hanging out with/grabbing lunch with Josuke and Okuaysu sans Koichi during "Rohan Punches A 6 year old"? I could have sworn she was with them when everyone was giving Rohan poo poo for being such an rear end in a top hat to a kid and thinking "Hey, that's kind of cool that Josuke is kinda friendly with Yukako now that she and Koichi are dating."

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

No

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

What's this stuff about Yukako "maybe" being crazy?

She's completely unhinged, and I hate the Cinderella bit because it tries to portray her and Koichi getting together as a good thing when really he should be getting a restraining order or something

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Is she hanging out with/grabbing lunch with Josuke and Okuaysu sans Koichi during "Rohan Punches A 6 year old"? I could have sworn she was with them when everyone was giving Rohan poo poo for being such an rear end in a top hat to a kid and thinking "Hey, that's kind of cool that Josuke is kinda friendly with Yukako now that she and Koichi are dating."

She's there, but it's the only time you ever see her with the rest of the group in daily life and it doesn't even really say much when she's sitting there pouting while she's with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Suaimhneas posted:

What's this stuff about Yukako "maybe" being crazy?

She's completely unhinged, and I hate the Cinderella bit because it tries to portray her and Koichi getting together as a good thing when really he should be getting a restraining order or something

Maybe Koichi's into it.