Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

What's a good country to try for an "easy" world conquest? Should I pick Portugal and be colonizing everything? Just pick France and stomp everything? Pick Ryukyu and pray to the same gods DDRJake does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Portugal was my first game in EUIV and I probably could have done World Conquest with it had I been more experienced. I think France might be tough because of all the pressure on their eastern border, but they're certainly powerful enough to stop England from colonizing quickly.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
WC is probably a bit harder now, but Ottomans are your best bet for it, them or France. England, Austria, Castile, Muscowy might be doable.

Be aware it's rather tedious to do because you'll often have multiple wars at the same time and you need to keep in mind which vassals you have etc.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
Actually, since you only have to pay half-price on territorial cores, WC is probably a lot easier so long as your economy is rolling.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Does this look like I'm on track for the 1 million manpower achievement?

Finland and Moldavia are mine. I already got the bonus manpower from 100% patriarchy and my ambition, but I haven't built that many barracks yet (only in provinces where it earned me at least 500 manpower). I think it's doable but I'm afraid I might cut it too close, since unaccepted cultures give you even less manpower.

I'd like to get the 1000 provinces one as well but it seems kind of insane. I'll only be at ~170 after I annex my current vassals.

Elman fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 28, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You should get the manpower easy. For provinces I had to go Ottomans, because I'm bad.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Elman posted:

Finland and Moldavia are mine. I already got the bonus manpower from 100% patriarchy and my ambition, but I haven't built that many barracks yet (only in provinces where it earned me at least 500 manpower). I think it's doable but I'm afraid I might cut it too close, since unaccepted cultures give you even less manpower.

I'd like to get the 1000 provinces one as well but it seems kind of insane. I'll only be at ~170 after I annex my current vassals.

Re: manpower achievement, maybe. You need 4000 manpower development (x250 each = 1 million) divided by your manpower efficiency. So if you get Quantity and with maxed Patriarch Authority and a barracks, you should have around 100% (base) + 75% (NIs) + 33% (PA) + 100% (buildings) + 50% (Quantity) = 358% efficiency, or around 4000 / 3.58 = 1117 manpower development. Obviously there's also culture, estates, autonomy, and other small bonuses, but I would ballpark you need about 1200 development worth of manpower with barracks built to get the achievement. Since manpower is roughly a third or less of total development, you should be aiming to get 3-4k total development which is quite large.

Lori posted:

Actually, since you only have to pay half-price on territorial cores, WC is probably a lot easier so long as your economy is rolling.

Recent WC strategies all involved exploiting the distant overseas coring discount, so it's not really any different than before. You just have direct control over territories rather than having to game the system by creating blocking vassals to cut you off from continents.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
WC is actually harder now in the sense that the old distant overseas coring cost was 25% and now everything is 50%.

But I did my world conquest run on this patch so it certainly is still possible.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Elman posted:

Take Quantity, and get conquering India and China. Ignore Europe entirely. Did you take your focus off of Admin? As Russia, you want to leave it there pretty much all game unless you roll a 6ADM monarch or something.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I can't seem to make any progress as Wallachia. Surrounded on all sides by three tough nations - Poland, Ottomans and Hungary - I've been trying to find a way to bite into Hungary so I could border Serbia and expand from there, but nope. Maybe I've been unlucky with the web of alliances that the AI form, but even so, how can I get this Wallachian party started?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

How do Poland and Hungary feel about you? The classic regional move is to buddy up with them and then use them to wreck the Ottomans.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Hmm, what's a good late game goal for the last 80 years? I'm a dominant Protestant Bohemia, I already ate most Germans and killed god's Empire. I'm pretty happy having never stepped foot out of Europe in this game but at this point I'm kind of out of things to do other than smash Austria repeatedly -- good fun, don't get me wrong! They were really out of control this game, I barely beat them and the few remaining Catholics in the end with Muscovite doomstacks.

I've had this weird glut of monarch points all game, it's all so drat random if you get decent kings or not. Been playing with development and culture shifting a lot.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Guess it'll be less trivial to fabricate claims on everyone in sight now. Makes sense, it was just kind of busy work to make claims on all your neighbors. I'm not sure if there's any real penalty for getting caught building a spy network, though?

With the new system it's actually easier to fabricate claims on everyone in sight. You need 15 points of spy network, which translates to roughly 12 months depending on how close the target is. But there's 0% chance of getting caught, which is what really drove up claim fabrication times under the old system. Spies aren't ever caught until your spy network is greater than 25, so if you're checking on your spies frequently enough then you will be getting claims faster (on average) than under the old system.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Espionage action I'd really care about : bribing a fort's defenders. Admittedly late-game sieges aren't that bad right now if you can wrangle up 20 artillery and a good commander but it's the most obvious one missing.

Is the current support rebels any good? It sure is expensive but if I could cripple Austria with revolutionaries for a grand that seems like an ok deal.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Espionage action I'd really care about : bribing a fort's defenders. Admittedly late-game sieges aren't that bad right now if you can wrangle up 20 artillery and a good commander but it's the most obvious one missing.

Is the current support rebels any good? It sure is expensive but if I could cripple Austria with revolutionaries for a grand that seems like an ok deal.

The spy network kinda helps with sieges since you can get up to 20% siege bonus I think.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I didn't realize that was a thing; a 20% siege bonus is actually pretty huge, that's the same amount that you'd get from Offensive ideas (arguably the best reason to take Offensive)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I could see Espionage having an event where you can bribe a fort's defenders being pretty cool. Obviously you wouldn't have the chance every siege, and sometimes they might take your money and fail to win the siege for you, but it'd be a nice flavour thing.

Star posted:

The spy network kinda helps with sieges since you can get up to 20% siege bonus I think.

Wait, what?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

That's pretty slick, along with the "Modern Siege Weapons" policy (Offensive & Innovative) you can get through sieges a lot faster. I've noticed I have a pretty effective routine down of dropping a siege stack and having a large infantry force a province or two away to ward off counter-attacks. I don't like how effectively forts prevent you from getting into an enemy nation though, there really should be some concept of suppressing them (maybe spend MIL or something?)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Gort posted:

I could see Espionage having an event where you can bribe a fort's defenders being pretty cool. Obviously you wouldn't have the chance every siege, and sometimes they might take your money and fail to win the siege for you, but it'd be a nice flavour thing.

Yeah I don't think bribing defenders should be something you can do reliably, at least for cash. Right now forts are one of the ways a smaller power can punch above its weight, if the bigger power can just bribe its defense instantly into submission then it'll kinda ruin that. As an event for taking the idea group it could be pretty cool though, I agree. Would be another incentive to actually take it- even with all these changes, I'm not sure how viable espionage is gonna be.

Unrelatedly, I wish they'd do the claim fabrication dialogue window as a menu you could tick a whole bunch off of at once and then hit okay for, rather than open interface -> find province -> hit okay -> open interface -> find province etc over and over again. Just a little thing but that's been annoying me a bunch. I might be in the minority here but on the whole I like pretty much all the expansion features now that I've played with them a bunch, but drat do they not feel integrated very well. The states in particular are a colossal pain in the rear end to manage if you're doing a lot of expansion since working out what is and isn't a state is really not made easy.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Gort posted:

Wait, what?

EU4 wiki posted:

Having a spy network in a foreign nation grants several passive benefits for the aggressor in that nation. The benefits scale with the networks' size and at a 100 spy network will apply:

+20% Siege ability
-10% Aggressive expansion impact (in that nation)

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Star posted:

EU4 wiki posted:
Having a spy network in a foreign nation grants several passive benefits for the aggressor in that nation. The benefits scale with the networks' size and at a 100 spy network will apply:

+20% Siege ability
-10% Aggressive expansion impact (in that nation)

This is only with Mare Nostrum, though. I kept looking for it before I got the DLC, thinking it was in the free changes part of the patch notes.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it even possible to reach 100 spy network? I haven't been able to get to 60 despite several attempts against a rival.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh yeah, I would find my spies were sitting around at 100, and just maintaining that level, reasonably often.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Im sure this gets asked a lot, but I couldnt find it:

If I have the Steam version of EU4, will DLC purchased from GMG still work with it? I know some games it doesnt, but couldnt see anything about EU4.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Kris xK posted:

Im sure this gets asked a lot, but I couldnt find it:

If I have the Steam version of EU4, will DLC purchased from GMG still work with it? I know some games it doesnt, but couldnt see anything about EU4.

Yep, DLC bought from GMG is just a code you enter into Steam. It's nice getting ~20% off through them for nearly every ck2/eu4 expansion.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

SurgicalOntologist posted:

As to that last point, in my recent Brandenburg game (in which I finally learned to play the royal marriage game and got my only PU in 600 hours: with Russia! Actually that enforce PU war required a truce break and fighting Russia + Ming.

Um, what's this? I thought PUs were completely random, is there more to them?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Family Values posted:

Um, what's this? I thought PUs were completely random, is there more to them?

They are sometimes. What happens more often is a monarch dies without an heir, and they take the dynasty of one of their royal marriage partners. With the same dynasty, a nation can claim another nations throne and fight to PU them. You can only do this if they have no heir, or a regency with a weak claim.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Specifically, the strategy is to marry country with no heir. If you have the idea that allows you to cancel royal marriages without the stab hit, you can spread your dynasty around.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
Been pondering some of the upcoming changes, how the espionage abilities have been rolled into diplomatic tech (imo a good choice_, and I realized I don't really like idea groups all that much. To me, it's sort of unfun spending monarch points on an idea that doesn't benefit you just to get to one that does down the road.

It got me thinking maybe idea groups should be scrapped. Instead you could have it so that each tech level unlocks several ideas of it's point-type (mil, diplo or admin). Maybe you even get a freebie idea with each tech gain, just to make leching up that much more exciting.

More powerful or advanced ideas can have specific perquisites, accomplishing the same balancing goal as idea groups but without filler ideas. Some ideas (or trees if you want to get elaborate) can also be made mutually exclusive, both for balance and flavor reasons. For example like how EGooniversalis mod makes offensive and defensive mutually exclusive.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Specifically, the strategy is to marry country with no heir. If you have the idea that allows you to cancel royal marriages without the stab hit, you can spread your dynasty around.

That's how I got Austria and Georgia and Hungary under a PU in the same game. The best part? I was at war with Hungary for the Georgian succession when their king died in battle, he had no heir.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Well this game is pretty over. I like how the giant empires turned out; Austria just keeps coming back even after I crushed them a few times and now they overran a bunch of France. Ottomans do very very well these days it seems, and the random new world is boring as ever.

Pinback posted:

Been pondering some of the upcoming changes, how the espionage abilities have been rolled into diplomatic tech (imo a good choice_, and I realized I don't really like idea groups all that much. To me, it's sort of unfun spending monarch points on an idea that doesn't benefit you just to get to one that does down the road.

It got me thinking maybe idea groups should be scrapped. Instead you could have it so that each tech level unlocks several ideas of it's point-type (mil, diplo or admin). Maybe you even get a freebie idea with each tech gain, just to make leching up that much more exciting.

More powerful or advanced ideas can have specific perquisites, accomplishing the same balancing goal as idea groups but without filler ideas. Some ideas (or trees if you want to get elaborate) can also be made mutually exclusive, both for balance and flavor reasons. For example like how EGooniversalis mod makes offensive and defensive mutually exclusive.

Honestly I think the general consensus is that we're ready for EU5. All the features from various patches don't really work together, the interface is increasingly atrocious, and we are ready for new ideas about gameplay instead of weird tweaks. I really hope the team is working toward something new in the medieval-early modern historical period. :)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I also found it difficult to get over 60, however, I started adding corruption once it got to 25 and it seemed to improve it?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Pinback posted:

Unfortunately this would nerf not-Europe even more. I'm not saying you're wrong, though.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Russian progress:

I know I should've focused more on Asia but Ming and Bukhara's allies were tough. I ended up allying Ming, so I got 100 years to go and 540k manpower, with 3056 development if you count Oirat's (I'm annexing them). As I expected 1000 provinces is too much, I'm not nearly powergamey enough :v: But maybe I can actually pull this off?

Honestly, I kinda wonder how far I could get towards that goal by just settling down, disbanding my army and spending the next 100 years building barracks and developing manpower provinces. I'm guessing close, but not quite there. I'm gonna have to spend the next 100 years conquering as much as I can and save all my spare money for barracks, but even then 1 million manpower seems way harder to reach now that the state limit means a lot of that land isn't really helping. Maybe Europe is the answer, since I need my states to be really profitable? I could conquer France.

e: Huh. Turns out manpower grows really, really fast with buildings and development.

Elman fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 29, 2016

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Spend mil points on manpower? Every little helps.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Well this game is pretty over. I like how the giant empires turned out; Austria just keeps coming back even after I crushed them a few times and now they overran a bunch of France. Ottomans do very very well these days it seems, and the random new world is boring as ever.

Yeah, I was hoping we'd get more tiles for the new world with every patch, but it doesn't look promising that we'll get any more. As far as I know they haven't really mentioned it in a while. :smith:

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Honestly I think the general consensus is that we're ready for EU5. All the features from various patches don't really work together, the interface is increasingly atrocious, and we are ready for new ideas about gameplay instead of weird tweaks. I really hope the team is working toward something new in the medieval-early modern historical period. :)

I'm starting to lean in that direction. Games still great, but I'd definitely be interested in seeing them do a Civ style reboot where as Firaxis says, it's 1/3 the best mechanics, 1/3 improved mechanics, and 1/3 new poo poo/fundamental reworks.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fintilgin posted:

I'm starting to lean in that direction. Games still great, but I'd definitely be interested in seeing them do a Civ style reboot where as Firaxis says, it's 1/3 the best mechanics, 1/3 improved mechanics, and 1/3 new poo poo/fundamental reworks.

Firaxis doesn't know poo poo about strategy games any more

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It would be really nice if, like estates, autonomy was reset when you acquire a province. The AI tends to go nuts with raising autonomy, and with the way it interacts with the territory autonomy floor, you usually end up getting a totally worthless province.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Gort posted:

Firaxis doesn't know poo poo about strategy games any more

XCOM 2 is pretty drat good dude. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Imagine the meltdown on the Paradox forums if EUV is announced and it doesn't contain absolutely every last feature from all the EUIV dlc at launch. :allears:

• Locked thread