Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Its almost like in the year 2016 Time Magazine is kind of irrelevant, and does strange and bold things on their lists to keep people's attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Looks like Markiplier and Game Theory are going to survive yet.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sorry what's that supposed to be showing us?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It is a brand new Five Nights at Freddy's.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I bet Patt Matt is breathing a sigh of relief, he doesn't have to resort to making another video with the word "Pewdiepie" in the title.

Haha jk, I'm sure that'll be his next video with the recent "youtube has changed" drama that seems to be going on

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ah, it was so tiny on ny phone thst I couldn't tell.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Is this that remake of FNAF World that Scott was going to be make because the original was complete hot garbage?.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Leal posted:

I bet Patt Matt is breathing a sigh of relief, he doesn't have to resort to making another video with the word "Pewdiepie" in the title.

Haha jk, I'm sure that'll be his next video with the recent "youtube has changed" drama that seems to be going on

So what's with the youtube has changed poo poo? It seems to be a big deal at the moment with youtubers that I can't stand.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Testekill posted:

So what's with the youtube has changed poo poo? It seems to be a big deal at the moment with youtubers that I can't stand.

I'm assuming it's just more game/movie companies being copyright strike happy.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

Hey don't you talk poo poo about Game Theory. They do some really cool videos like "The TRUTH Behind Nintendo's Amiibo Shortages" and "How to Win At Love (According to Dating Sims)" and "Secrets of Dating! (Dating Sims' How to Win at Love Part 2)."

Great editing too. I love how every word he nasally ejects into his microphone is accompanied by a picture he grabs off of Google. It's like an already-solved rebus puzzle! It's like a game. A THEORY game! Wait poo poo I hosed that up I'm so sor

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm assuming it's just more game/movie companies being copyright strike happy.

Apparently it has to do with how a lot of YouTube is being fed by "drama" or something, where everyone attacks everyone else for every little thing (or just making poo poo up) because views.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Is this that remake of FNAF World that Scott was going to be make because the original was complete hot garbage?.

No, that already came out.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Game Theory is worse then PDP.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Testekill posted:

A bunch of youtubers saying that other youtubers (Totally not gonna name names because I don't want to stir the drama (even though I'm stirring drama just bringing it out apropos nothing)) just poo poo talk other people to try and get ahead in views or something like that.

Jamesman posted:

Hey don't you talk poo poo about Game Theory. They do some really cool videos like "The TRUTH Behind Nintendo's Amiibo Shortages" and "How to Win At Love (According to Dating Sims)" and "Secrets of Dating! (Dating Sims' How to Win at Love Part 2)."

My personal favorite is "Which video game character has real boobs" and "The strategy behind Dead or Alive's sex appeal". Currently waiting for "The REAL reason Xtreme Beach Volleyball 3 WONT release in the states!" with a thumbnail of one of the girls in a bikini with an arrow pointing to her tits.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Testekill posted:

It changed the same way that all other digital media has changed.

The market became flooded, it became harder to stand out without resorting to gimmicks (like drama), and part and parcel with that flood came the usual volume of scams and bad faith deals that have slowly whittled away the pool of potential revenue from 'barely below poverty level' to 'I might be able to buy half a bag of chips with my ad revenue this month if someone else doesn't manage to falsely claim it'.

The people that got in early and established themselves are already set. The people that dabbled a bit, then quit their day jobs are treading water, but barely. The hobbyists with day jobs don't care, because it was never about the revenue or the viewcount. The otherwise unemployable masses who jumped in because they read a blog post about an article about a TV spot about a guy that made TONS OF MONEY filming himself being goofy while playing video games -- that's the change.

And just like radio, music, film, and every other personality/performance based medium, people are discovering that the quick and easy way to get hits is to piss people off.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

My personal favorite is "Which video game character has real boobs" and "The strategy behind Dead or Alive's sex appeal". Currently waiting for "The REAL reason Xtreme Beach Volleyball 3 WONT release in the states!" with a thumbnail of one of the girls in a bikini with an arrow pointing to her tits.

I actually used to like GT and was subscribed to them too. Even though the premise of a video could sometimes be stupid, they could actually present some interesting ideas and share some neat scientific trivia. But then they just stopped trying and the annoying crap like the clickbait-y titles and editing got way more grating without any substance in the videos to offset them.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The version of Game Theory that didn't suck was Pop Fiction, but sadly that's dead as a doornail.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

For some actual theory about games check out Extra Credits.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Wacko Warner gets some things really wrong more often than not though.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh so Pewdiepie called out other channels as "Creating this mob mentality where everyone is…so ready to attack their next target of someone…"

I think by just saying this it's encouraged a mob to make a petition to shut down DramaAlert.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Golden Goat posted:

Oh so Pewdiepie called out other channels as "Creating this mob mentality where everyone is…so ready to attack their next target of someone…"

I think by just saying this it's encouraged a mob to make a petition to shut down DramaAlert.
Are you sure he wasn't just talking about himself?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

He's talking more about channels focused on drama for fame.

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4vC8OUbzHE

E: Don't read the comments. Not because they're offensive but because they're just full of people complementing his beard.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 25, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I've never heard of this keemstar dude before today but it sounds like he's the youtube equivalent of a gawker site.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The version of Game Theory that didn't suck was Pop Fiction, but sadly that's dead as a doornail.

I really enjoyed Pop Fiction up until they hit the same problem that mythbusters did, and ran out of game myths to test, so they devolved into asking "what would happen if we did 'x'".

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Golden Goat posted:

E: Don't read the comments. Not because they're offensive but because they're just full of people complementing his beard.

To be fair, that is a pretty alright beard.

It didn't help me not frantically close the window after the PEWDDIEPIEE intro that makes my teeth grind, though.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Roar posted:

To be fair, that is a pretty alright beard.

It didn't help me not frantically close the window after the PEWDDIEPIEE intro that makes my teeth grind, though.

The beard is fine. It's more that there's so many comments that are barely about the video topic and just going #niceshirt or #nicebeard.

Also if that intro put you off then you should see markliplier's one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So I thought this whole Youtube drama thing was something that snowballed from the Toby accusations, but it turns out it's just an unrelated and completely petty case of people throwing shade?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i'd be happy if Drama Alert shut down

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
Re Mat pat:
He has consults and been invited to give talks on how to [make money]/[sell products] in the digital economy running and growing a youtube channel, his credentials? why his successful youtube channel! those talks, consulting business are the primary means of income I'd wager: over the ad and t-shirt money. Yet all that hinges on his channel, if it doesn't have the numbers he doesn't have credibility; so every video he puts up has to be in service to swelling its subscribers, views and like count, as with more numbers means more talks.
the "smartest show in gaming" isn't totally true,as math adoration and intelligence are only linked in fiction, but much as he likes games and media, Mat pat loves his numbers more.
MatPat was at the right place at the right time with FNAF, so he made more, which got him numbers, Breasts and Dating sims get him NUMBERS, semi-scientific videogame analytic analysis only gets him a handful of numbers. Not smart, but slick polished and lucky, he got his channel to a self sustaining size within the confines of youtube and can translate those numbers into dollars.

he's a principle-less youtube-hessian

skullhead tethyis fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 25, 2016

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So.....

My younger brother has expressed a desire to me that he wants to start a youtube channel about playing games and commenting on games related happenings, perhaps podcast style over his own recorded footage. He has no idea that watching LP has been my secret shame since 2006, or even that SomethingAwful exists (we live quite a ways apart, and he's 11 years younger than me), and while they're not identical there's a lot there in common. I linked him the http://salp.wikia.com/ and then got on a call with him.

I asked him what he wants to accomplish and what his influences are. He says "to have fun and learn stuff", and he got the idea from watching some mooks called Lazy Peon and Frankie In 1080p (are these guys terrible? I don't know what the young kids get up to on youtube now).

I was immediately filled with a feeling of dread, thinking he wanted to be the next Pewdiepie or Tobuscus or something. But I can kind of see it working for him; he's a musician who has overseen 2 albums for his band, and in the fall he's going to go to school to certify for being an audio recording technician. The first thing he said to me was that he thinks facecams are stupid. Lastly since he's my brother he's probably Not Stupid. He's asked for me for help not realizing that I probably know more about the whole dangle fangle than he does.

So I guess, any advice? Encourage him? Discourage him?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Scaramouche posted:

So.....

My younger brother has expressed a desire to me that he wants to start a youtube channel about playing games and commenting on games related happenings, perhaps podcast style over his own recorded footage. He has no idea that watching LP has been my secret shame since 2006, or even that SomethingAwful exists (we live quite a ways apart, and he's 11 years younger than me), and while they're not identical there's a lot there in common. I linked him the http://salp.wikia.com/ and then got on a call with him.

I asked him what he wants to accomplish and what his influences are. He says "to have fun and learn stuff", and he got the idea from watching some mooks called Lazy Peon and Frankie In 1080p (are these guys terrible? I don't know what the young kids get up to on youtube now).

I was immediately filled with a feeling of dread, thinking he wanted to be the next Pewdiepie or Tobuscus or something. But I can kind of see it working for him; he's a musician who has overseen 2 albums for his band, and in the fall he's going to go to school to certify for being an audio recording technician. The first thing he said to me was that he thinks facecams are stupid. Lastly since he's my brother he's probably Not Stupid. He's asked for me for help not realizing that I probably know more about the whole dangle fangle than he does.

The Retsupurae pod/vod(?)cast is a good place to look. I haven't checked it in a while but I remember Beef and Betus talking about whatever while showing up some gameplay Beef recorded (I remember him doing lots of shmups at the time).

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

When he says he want's to "learn stuff" what does he mean, cause learning about video and audio editing would be particularly neat and it would feed sorta into what he wants to do.

I say don't discourage him. In fact why not do an LP with him.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
As long as he isn't attracted to the mindset of these sad, hand-wringing individuals trying desperately to find a formula for Let's Play superstardom, I say encourage him.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
You guys probably already know all about it but Youtube did a thing for content ID.
http://youtubecreator.blogspot.com/2016/04/improving-content-id-for-creators.html

Basically money is held in escrow till the dispute is settled. Whoever wins gets it.
Minor but hey, going from worst to bad is probably a good step.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Too bad Jim Sterling already found a better and more entertaining way.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Scaramouche posted:

So.....

Since he has a background in music, it might be interesting for him to tackle rhythm games and other music-focused games like Electroplankton or whatever and offer his perspective as a musician. That could be a good starting point as far as finding games to talk about.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

If by "better" you mean "I, personally, am not trying to make money from Youtube and have total disdain for anyone who is, therefore a solution that ends with no one making money is superior to the one that lets these people profit from their work."

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nidoking posted:

If by "better" you mean "I, personally, am not trying to make money from Youtube and have total disdain for anyone who is, therefore a solution that ends with no one making money is superior to the one that lets these people profit from their work."

All the work Konami put into the 30 seconds of metal gear footage

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

So I thought this whole Youtube drama thing was something that snowballed from the Toby accusations, but it turns out it's just an unrelated and completely petty case of people throwing shade?

I thought people were angry that the website's design had changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Andrast posted:

All the work Konami put into the 30 seconds of metal gear footage

Vs. all the work someone did mixing those seconds of footage into a review, criticism, parody etc.

My point was that Jim Sterling's solution prevented the companies that wanted money from getting money, while he doesn't get any money no matter what. For people who actually monetize their videos and attempt to make a living from it, this is the equivalent of going to your job and burning the server that stores your collected work while flipping off the boss. Yes, the company doesn't profit from your effort, but neither do you, and the company has plenty of other income sources, while you're left eating out of the garbage and trying to update your resume to make "pyromaniac" sound like a positive quality. Youtube's new system of putting the disputed ad revenue in escrow until the dispute is resolved is actually really beneficial for everyone (except fraudulent copyright claimants, who don't get a say in this because they're actively violating the law), and is one of the three suggestions I had for how they can fix the Content ID system. The other two are unblocking the disputed video unless the claimant makes a statement under penalty of perjury that the claim is valid, and that the claimant has only 10 business days to respond to the dispute rather than 30 calendar days, both of which are requirements under copyright law. (It's also required that, if the claimant fails to respond within that time, Google has 4 additional business days to release the claim entirely, but I think they do that immediately under the current system.)

• Locked thread