Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Segmentation Fault posted:

A Dell Dimension 8400 came in.

Customer wanted data retrieved off of it, which is fine. However, she's giving the computer away to another person. It's still running Windows XP and I cannot in good conscience suffer an XP install to exist while I can do something about it. Problem is, Ubuntu won't even run on it: The 8400's got a Pentium 4 with 1 GB of RAM, and Ubuntu wants something slightly more capable.

I don't even have XP install media in the shop. What do I do? Do I just leave the install there? Do I wipe it blank? Can I even find a modern Linux that will run on early 2000s hardware?

Are they paying you to rebuild it? If yes quote them the $500-800+ that this is going to cost since it will take hours of your time. You could take the opportunity to mention it would be cheaper to simply buy a new computer and the recipient would probably be happier with a lovely new computer than a lovely PC that's 15 years old.

If no tell them you normally would rebuild it for donation but machines this old take longer to work with and they should find someone else to rebuild it or pay you for your time.

As for the disc you can get a dell XP reinstall disc for like $10-20 from amazon/ebay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

uPen posted:

Are they paying you to rebuild it? If yes quote them the $500-800+ that this is going to cost since it will take hours of your time. You could take the opportunity to mention it would be cheaper to simply buy a new computer and the recipient would probably be happier with a lovely new computer than a lovely PC that's 15 years old.

If no tell them you normally would rebuild it for donation but machines this old take longer to work with and they should find someone else to rebuild it or pay you for your time.

As for the disc you can get a dell XP reinstall disc for like $10-20 from amazon/ebay.

The machine runs fine, it's just an old XP shitbox.

Anyway I told them that it's a security nightmare and they told me that they'll just dispose of it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Irritated Goat posted:

I really want to tell him his development network spilled over into his precious production network and he needs to fix his poo poo but I know we'll just end up blowing it off. They constantly make changes to the network and don't tell us. They've uninstalled our monitoring software without telling us. The list goes on and on. The worst part is, they're financially our best client so we can't dump them yet.

This is really, really close to a situation a fellow pair of engineers ran into - have a client that our MSP took over for, said client has one internal IT guy. IT guy doesn't like that our MSP is coming in and our engineers are running circles around him, fixing poo poo that's been sitting stagnant for weeks at a time. IT guy is telling his manager that he needs to be involved in everything and making excuses for our remote monitoring/alerting tools "spying" on everything.

So the idiot removes all our remote agents. No big deal, we can still access servers and PCs another way, right?

Nope, rear end in a top hat IT guy disabled our domain admin account, effectively blocking our access. Funniest part was IT guy's idiot manager bitched at us when they had a server go down...we didn't know it went down because our alerting and monitoring software was removed, which is tied to our domain account that was shut off. We expressed our concerns to idiot manager, who talked to her IT guy, who denied removing anything or shutting anything off. That is, until we showed her the audit logs with IT guy's domain admin account being the last one to make changes on the server. :downs:

Last I heard we pushed back and the client has 2 choices - we cancel their contract due to all the fuckery and boot them, or they fire their dumbass IT guy. So far it's leaning heavily towards contract cancellation since IT guy's idiot boss doesn't want to let him go, but is also upset about the back-and-forth finger pointing and doesn't want to punish IT guy since he's been there a few years. I dunno what's worse, dipshit spineless pushover bosses, or mentally handicapped IT employees.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Aunt Beth posted:

Why are you whacking drives at all rather than mapping them?

I took over a site whose former tech never heard of a thing called a "server backup." That's what I'm dealing with.

Some drives are mapped, the desktop users. The thing is that most users have a tablet they carry with them through out the day. The tablets aren't on the domain, and not all users login with their assigned user accounts.

But if a user wanted their network folder, they'd open run, type \\hostname and navigate to their folder, find their folder, and punch in their credentials.

I'd like a batch file to at least get the users to the root folder. If there's a best practice, or an easier way of doing things, I'm all ears.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

pixaal posted:

you just tell them hey you have XP this thing is as good as hacked and you can't put a newer OS on it. I'm getting the data off of this but you need to throw it out.

My dentist has a PC that's hooked up to a small endoscope camera used to show people the insides of their mouth or close-ups of their lovely teeth.

I was in the chair, he put up some screen captures of my teeth, and proceeds to do other stuff in my mouth ( :quagmire: ).

After a set period of idling, hello default Windows XP screensaver with my PHI on it.

I begged him to call his IT guy and have him fix it. "Oh, my IT guy just gave me this computer."

It's a first gen Core2 desktop.

I asked him to let me have a look at the updates.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Automatic Updates the name of the control panel icon for a bare bones starter XP SP2 install? :ohdear:

Aunt Beth posted:

Why are you whacking drives at all rather than mapping them?

Because they don't kick their vig up the tribute chain on time, Tony, and when you don't pay da boss what you owe him, you get whacked.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ProperCoochie posted:

I took over a site whose former tech never heard of a thing called a "server backup." That's what I'm dealing with.

Some drives are mapped, the desktop users. The thing is that most users have a tablet they carry with them through out the day. The tablets aren't on the domain, and not all users login with their assigned user accounts.

But if a user wanted their network folder, they'd open run, type \\hostname and navigate to their folder, find their folder, and punch in their credentials.

I'd like a batch file to at least get the users to the root folder. If there's a best practice, or an easier way of doing things, I'm all ears.
There's a field right in AD where you can map a drive letter to a network share, that's best practice.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ProperCoochie posted:

Set up user groups, set up GPOs to automagically map things, be a big damned hero despite doing next to no actual work.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Anyway I told them that it's a security nightmare and they told me that they'll just dispose of it.

Frankly, a lotta these shitboxes - particularly Pentium 4 - the customer will literally do better buying a new silent system of similar capacity, which will pay for itself in electricity in a matter of months.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A lot of the people who are going to end up with the 12 year old hand-downs would be better served with a Chromebox anyway.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Damnsmalllinux?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Talking about old obsolete hardware.

Went back to Fry's Electronics recently to grab something quick that couldn't wait for amazon prime to deliver. They are still using Windows XP running a dos box for their inventory and POS system. I remember when I worked at one the stores for a year and they installed new IBM blade servers that caused the database to crash twice a day. Also Fry's is a wasteland these days in terms of foot traffic the few times I go there a year.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

divabot posted:

Frankly, a lotta these shitboxes - particularly Pentium 4 - the customer will literally do better buying a new silent system of similar capacity, which will pay for itself in electricity in a matter of months.

Yeah, I didn't think about that. P4s ran hot and were heavy on the power consumption. Do they even sell chromeboxes in big box stores?

Anyway when discussing the computer with the customer it turns out that the recipient is actually someone who's "computer-savvy," so I reckon it's going to be a secondary toy for someone. In which case, whatever.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Alighieri posted:

Talking about old obsolete hardware.

Went back to Fry's Electronics recently to grab something quick that couldn't wait for amazon prime to deliver. They are still using Windows XP running a dos box for their inventory and POS system. I remember when I worked at one the stores for a year and they installed new IBM blade servers that caused the database to crash twice a day. Also Fry's is a wasteland these days in terms of foot traffic the few times I go there a year.

The one in Concord is always busy though...

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
"Computer savvy" meaning someone who can manage to check their email four tries out of ten.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is there a thread for running newer OSes on older hardware, even if just for fun? I have a fairly old desktop that never made it past Vista, and I'm tempted to try out Windows 7/8.1/10 on it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Is there a thread for running newer OSes on older hardware, even if just for fun? I have a fairly old desktop that never made it past Vista, and I'm tempted to try out Windows 7/8.1/10 on it.

The big hurdle for 10 is presence of the NX bit - so long as the support is present on the processor it will install.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

A Raspberry Pi 3 will probably run faster and not waste electricity.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Has anyone ever used Forescout? Holy poo poo is that thing hot garbage. I get the idea of it being a NAC appliance but holy poo poo does it not handle being a complete SIEM solution well.

Plus absolutely zero documentation.

What do people use instead? What's a non poo poo NAC?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Yeah, this topic has come up a couple times in the Intel arch and Windows 10 threads. I have an old Alienware Area-51 desktop with an Asus 875P motherboard from 2003 that originally had a P4 3.0C in it, but now uses a Pentium M 760 with a socket adapter and 4GB of unbuffered ECC DDR1. It runs Windows 10 just fine, as long as you have realistic expectations for a single-core processor. Like fishmech said, the big thing to be aware of is the NX bit because some processors with similar capabilities (Banias and 1st gen/2003 Dothan Pentium Ms) don't have it and can't install Windows 8.1 or 10 as a result. That and RAM - if you don't have at least 1GB, Windows 10 won't even look at you. You can install Windows 7 on a machine with less than 1GB or no NX capability, but it actually runs worse than 10 so if 10 won't work then I'd either trash it or use a lightweight Linux distro.

Windows 10 also works on old single core Atom netbooks, again as long as they have at least 1GB of memory.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks to you both. As long as a pair of dual-core Opterons have it, I should be fine.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BaseballPCHiker posted:

"Why do you people always get in our way? What do you even do here? This product solves all of our problems and is good for the company. Stop being a roadblock and just make it work!"
I heard the word "gatekeeper" so much in the final months of last year that my position this year has been to simply stand at the open gate watching the horses run into traffic.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

deimos posted:

A Raspberry Pi 3 will probably run faster and not waste electricity.

No, a Raspberry Pi 3 absolutely will not run faster, especially because it still has everything you use to interact with it or store data shoved onto a single USB 2.0 bus.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

A Dell Dimension 8400 came in.

Customer wanted data retrieved off of it, which is fine. However, she's giving the computer away to another person. It's still running Windows XP and I cannot in good conscience suffer an XP install to exist while I can do something about it. Problem is, Ubuntu won't even run on it: The 8400's got a Pentium 4 with 1 GB of RAM, and Ubuntu wants something slightly more capable.

I don't even have XP install media in the shop. What do I do? Do I just leave the install there? Do I wipe it blank? Can I even find a modern Linux that will run on early 2000s hardware?

fishmech is right, RPis are garbage. First off, ARM's IPC sucks compared to x86. Second, USB is a terrible system bus, particularly USB 2.0. Finally, SD cards have a tendency to crash like crazy on it.

If the customer's giving it away I don't think it would reflect well for you to totally nuke it without permission. But XP is really the last thing that will run well on 1 GB of RAM. If the customer wants it, there are lightweight Linux distributions like Lubuntu, but even a Pentium 4 is getting towards the very bottom end of the requirements list. And again you should probably verify they are OK with Linux before you nuke the OS. Also, pretty much any hardware is still workable for Ubuntu Server. You can boot it on like 64 MB of RAM if you want, and there are other similar offerings.

Honestly though it's probably best just to advise them to buy a Liva X or something. Right now Newegg has them for like $100 AR and I've seen them as low as $75 AR. They're not super fast by today's standards but it'll still beat a Pentium 4, and they pull like 3W idle and 13W loaded. If they need more disk space, toss in a mSATA SSD or a USB 3.0 HDD.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 29, 2016

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Finally, SD cards have a tendency to crash like crazy on it.

This. Oh god this. I was troubleshooting this like 4 hours ago.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

NeuralSpark posted:

This. Oh god this. I was troubleshooting this like 4 hours ago.

Yeah, the flash controllers on SD cards are not built for wear levelling on a highly random write load. They are designed to be written full of large (1MB+) files and then erased. They will burn out if you swap on them for sure, and sooner or later they will burn out even on a normal OS load.

Related problem, a lot of USB adapters don't deliver enough voltage at the current the RPi pulls and brownouts totally gently caress with SD card writes. Or if you ever pull the power, stuff might not be written out to disk.

If you want a RPI to be stable long-term you either PXE boot it or you have a minimal image on the SD card which bounces to a new root filesystem on a USB stick or something. Not that those are meant for a 100% random write load either, but it delays the problem a bit. Maybe a USB HDD or SSD.

lol if you think that someone is going to be capable of troubleshooting that setup on Babby's First Computer tho

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, the flash controllers on SD cards are not built for wear levelling on a highly random write load. They are designed to be written full of large (1MB+) files and then erased. They will burn out if you swap on them for sure, and sooner or later they will burn out even on a normal OS load.

I put one together for simple digital signage installation in my group's lab, and apparently it just wasn't up to compiling ffmpeg.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NeuralSpark posted:

I put one together for simple digital signage installation in my group's lab, and apparently it just wasn't up to compiling ffmpeg.
Gentoo is a fine distribution in certain circumstances, but please do not put it on your raspberry pi

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I can confirm first hand that this isn't true anymore. Crypto has evolved to search the entire subnet for shares the user has access to, so as long as the infected PC is in the same subnet as the shared folder it makes 0 difference if the drive is mapped or not.

These are the same people that used to believe adding an Outlook contact named 000 with a invalid@invalid.invalid email address protected you from email worms, because it supposedly threw up a visible error message on trying to send itself to it. :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does anybody know of a use for PatchSee (http://www.patchsee.com/en/rj45-patch-cords.php) that isn't made redundant by adhering to best practises in terms of not being useless at cabling racks up neatly, maintaining documentation, and having decent switches and knowing how to use them? The only person I've met that swore by the cables is a guy who used unmanaged switches exclusively, didn't know what cable management was, and saw no value in documenting what switch ports were untagged for which VLANs.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Another weird variation on the ol' "needful"

quote:

Onsite support has come and completed the needful. Thanks for all your = help!
Good, I guess?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, the overuse of '='in a sentence. I think it's suppose to denote a new line or something. Whatever e-mail server/client they're using is appending it.

I got spam from some scammer and the e-mail was more 'fluid' if I thought of it like that.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

quote:

Hi,

I confirmed that it's work.

Thanks

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I hope this is your response to someone asking if it's any work to do a thing.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Johnny Aztec posted:

"Computer savvy" meaning someone who can click suspicious links in their email only four times out of ten.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Merijn posted:

These are the same people that used to believe adding an Outlook contact named 000 with a invalid@invalid.invalid email address protected you from email worms, because it supposedly threw up a visible error message on trying to send itself to it. :v:

I mean except it was absolutely true that the earlier varations of crypto literally just scanned drive letters A-Z and had no concept of anything else, I don't think (hope) that anyone here took that as a reliable safety feature or assumed that because one variation doesn't have it, it'll never get added in.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Has anyone ever used Forescout? Holy poo poo is that thing hot garbage. I get the idea of it being a NAC appliance but holy poo poo does it not handle being a complete SIEM solution well.

Plus absolutely zero documentation.

What do people use instead? What's a non poo poo NAC?

Funny you mention this, we have been having issues for the past year where our CDNs (has happened with Cloudflare, Incapsula, Cloudfront and MaxCDN) have issues connecting to specific IPs on our local DC and it lasts anywhere between 15 minutes and a few hours, on a site with not insignificant traffic. Today the universe helped us and the stars aligned and we got the problem to happen from a specific host we control instead of a CDN, we happened to unplug the capture port of the CounterACT (to use the mirror port from the router to capture the traffic) and test the problem at lo and behold the problem didn't happen. The loving CounterACT was silently (the host was nowhere to be found on any threat list) blocking the goddamn traffic.

E: yeah our network guys are not the brightest bunch.

deimos fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 29, 2016

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

I get poo poo like that in my mailbox or our ticketing system every single day from my French-speaking coworkers attempting English. Along with stuff like "I creat a ticket" or completely misinterpreting the agent's question and giving a useless reply. Frenglish is a kind of funny language sometimes.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Smoke posted:

I get poo poo like that in my mailbox or our ticketing system every single day from my French-speaking coworkers attempting English. Along with stuff like "I creat a ticket" or completely misinterpreting the agent's question and giving a useless reply. Frenglish is a kind of funny language sometimes.

"Franglais", s'il vous plaît.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
It finally happened! Took around seven months at this job, but it finally happened.

quote:

Issue: Private Bathroom Next To Old GM Office
Ticket ID: 10950
Requester: Receptionist Lady
Phone:
Description:
Good Afternoon,

The toilet by the old GM’s office keeps flushing, can someone please take a look at it. I called building management and they told me they cannot touch private bathroom on the floor.

Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Merijn posted:

I had a silly idea for crypto locker where I could create a folder on a share called 'aaa' and put some large files in it called a.doc etc and have Nagios monitor it for any changes and generate a critical alert if the file ever gets modified.

• Locked thread