Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Feenix posted:

Is the ArchDeacon's covenant any good (or any others?) or should I just stay SunBro?

There's no cost of changing covenant, so

do you want to do pve at a given moment? sunbros

do you want to do pvp at any given moment? aldrich/watchdogs/fingers/moundmakers/cops/...sunbros, depending on flavour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

I want a Blue Eye Orb in this.

Like, you use it and you can invade people in your level range who have turned in 10 or more Pale Tongues or Human Dregs no matter where they are. Cross-area invasions and all that. Just collecting them or using Pale Tongues to respec wouldn't count, but turning them in for covenant rewards marks you as an "aggressor" and then you can get invaded by Darkmoons.

Darkmoons as protectors is cool and all, but I want to go hunt the hunters, too.
Just make this use the red-eye orb, but have the function modified when you have Darkmoon/Sentinels as your active covenant, not unlike invadinging with Mound Makers - it supposedly prioritizes worlds that have more than just white phantoms, this would "prioritize" host worlds withe 'sinners'. I don't understand why it doesn't already work this way - it would make getting those ears a little easier, and for those super cop dudes they would end up with like constant summons because only people who really want to cop would be in Darkmoon/Sentinels for any length of time beyond what is necessary for ears.

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

Tenzarin posted:

Way of the blue should be default on when embered so to stop annoying invaders and so people can actually be summoned.

screw that. the odds are already stacked against invaders, and that's even before you consider that most invasions are a 3v1 gank fest.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oh boy here we go again

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Alternatively, expand the Darkmoons so they get autosummoned in *every* invasion, not just the Way of Blue ones. Because as Yorshka said, contrary to the Guardians of Blue the Darkmoon protects all Undead Wanderers.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Harrow posted:

I want a Blue Eye Orb in this.

Like, you use it and you can invade people in your level range who have turned in 10 or more Pale Tongues or Human Dregs no matter where they are. Cross-area invasions and all that. Just collecting them or using Pale Tongues to respec wouldn't count, but turning them in for covenant rewards marks you as an "aggressor" and then you can get invaded by Darkmoons.

Darkmoons as protectors is cool and all, but I want to go hunt the hunters, too.

They should either do this, or just bring back the sin mechanic. Darkmoon was my favorite in DaS1 and 2 cuz it meant you were more likely to hit up some one competent at PvP. In DaS3 it feels like a vestigial thing that exists cuz, I dunno, the other games had it. You can summon so many phantoms that you don't really need another buddy on your side anymore.

Also wish they'd remove the NPCs aggroing on blue cops. I'm not counterinvading to help some one through the level, I just wanna fight assholes all day. I will gladly let the host die so long as I get to punch some one first.

Feenix posted:

Is the ArchDeacon's covenant any good (or any others?) or should I just stay SunBro?

If you're looking for PvP, the AF covenant is basically constant invasions. It's great.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Necronomoticon posted:

screw that. the odds are already stacked against invaders, and that's even before you consider that most invasions are a 3v1 gank fest.

That's why the game needs a bell tower and rat lair. Those 2 made hosts invade.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kiggles posted:

Just make this use the red-eye orb, but have the function modified when you have Darkmoon/Sentinels as your active covenant, not unlike invadinging with Mound Makers - it supposedly prioritizes worlds that have more than just white phantoms, this would "prioritize" host worlds withe 'sinners'. I don't understand why it doesn't already work this way - it would make getting those ears a little easier, and for those super cop dudes they would end up with like constant summons because only people who really want to cop would be in Darkmoon/Sentinels for any length of time beyond what is necessary for ears.

Yeah, that would be great. You're right, the Red Eye Orb could just work like that and prioritize the worlds of people who are in "invader" covenants like Rosaria's Fingers or Aldrich Faithful. Maybe Watchdogs, too, but they feel a little more territorial than "defending a murderous, god-eating slime beast" Aldrich Faithful so maybe not the right target for Darkmoons lore-wise.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

oh boy here we go again

I've only got anecdotal evidence, but I've been invaded plenty even though I never summon other people. If I ember, I get invaded. I gotta assume that there's just so many people invading in this game that a lot of people will encounter "gank squads" :shobon:

Kiggles posted:

I don't even like PvP and I love this idea.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

if you summon a blue sentinel you should be paralyzed and forced to watch the fight between your bodyguard and the invader. if the invader wins you have to watch an fmv of them tying you to train tracks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd also like a "classic" invader covenant. Your Red Eye Orb prioritizes hosts who don't have any phantoms. When you invade, the host can't summon phantoms except for a bluecop (so that Way of Blue still has some meaning). In return for ensuring you're going to invade a host who's solo at least for a while, you don't get to use Estus as a phantom. Basically classic Dark Souls 1 invasion rules.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
When people talk about the auto-summon covenants occasionally being broken, are they just not getting hits at all or are they constantly getting "failed to join session" messages?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

When people talk about the auto-summon covenants occasionally being broken, are they just not getting hits at all or are they constantly getting "failed to join session" messages?

No hits at all, usually.

Some people (like me) get summoned fairly frequently, but it seems like most people just wear the auto-summon covenant for hours and never even get a "failed" message, just nothing at all.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

My game is crashing on load to the Crystal Sage bonfire so I guess I can't play this character anymore. Why the gently caress is this boss and its area so loving buggy. gently caress.

None of the previous bonfire fixes do anything.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

I'd also like a "classic" invader covenant. Your Red Eye Orb prioritizes hosts who don't have any phantoms. When you invade, the host can't summon phantoms except for a bluecop (so that Way of Blue still has some meaning). In return for ensuring you're going to invade a host who's solo at least for a while, you don't get to use Estus as a phantom. Basically classic Dark Souls 1 invasion rules.

That would be an interesting modifier to using the red eye orb with Rosario's finger cov item. Using it unaffiliated, or with another cov that has no special modifier could have it work as is, but rosaria's cov could give those special conditions. Don't think it would really change too much, but it would make running around as way of blue more important, even if it means the invader is at a pretty steep disadvantage, given how difficult it is to punish estus.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Tenzarin posted:

Way of the blue should be default on when embered so to stop annoying invaders and so people can actually be summoned.

This is essentially how it worked in BB, and it was lame

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

il serpente cosmico posted:

This is essentially how it worked in BB, and it was lame

How it worked in BB is that you could only be invaded while you were actively searching for co-op and was a completely loving backwards and terrible system.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The ideal solution would be to simply group certain covenants together into a "pact" and then have a Blue Eye Orb that's used to start an automatic search for hosts who are in danger. You could have, say, Way of Blue, Blue Sentinels, Warriors of Sunlight, and Darkmoon all bunched together, and whenever a red invades you while you have that particular covenant equipped, another player who has one of those covenants equipped using the BEO can be summoned to assist you.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 28, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

How it worked in BB is that you could only be invaded while you were actively searching for co-op and was a completely loving backwards and terrible system.

Even that wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for the way Bell-Ringing Ladies worked. For one, it wasn't guaranteed one would spawn if you rang the Beckoning Bell--it rarely happened to me. Then, even if one did spawn, you could track her down and kill her and never get invaded. And even then, you were probably ringing right outside the boss fog, and your invader would be banished as soon as you walk in. It all combined to make real invasions basically not exist in Bloodborne, which sucks because the actual PvP combat was tons of fun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is the knight's crossbow decent as far as ranged weapons go? I got one off the first knight I killed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
To be honest, I don't really like the covenants in this game. I mean from a mechanics standpoint being able to swap them out at will is really nice, but it feels like they've lost most of the flavor behind them as a result. Most of the covenant leaders in this game are NPCs that literally say nothing, and in several cases are just a corpse. I think there's a grand total of one that actually has new dialogue after you turn in faction rewards? They just don't feel important anymore I guess.

VVV Doesn't the arbalest fire significantly slower than the knight crossbow though? I haven't actually gotten a chance to use one.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Is the knight's crossbow decent as far as ranged weapons go? I got one off the first knight I killed.

The split damage isn't great, especially since it already has fairly low damage to begin with. It's better than the Light Crossbow at the start, but I'd either get the stats to use a bow or wait for the Arbalest before upgrading a ranged weapon.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Weird how after invading this host's world, killing his two knight armour + Dark Sword spamming phantoms and a blue cop, this attack wouldn't hit then I'd lose connection to his world.

Very weird how that would happen!

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
Watchdogs of Farron is a terrible fight to solo with grave warden swords. Don't do it. You have to hug them to death.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Weird how after invading this host's world, killing his two knight armour + Dark Sword spamming phantoms and a blue cop, this attack wouldn't hit then I'd lose connection to his world.

Very weird how that would happen!

The people who plugpull seem to get invaded all the time, while I can't get anyone to invade my stupid rear end even when I'm running around 2/3rds of the time with an Ember running.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES
Just want to put a word in for the sunlight straight sword. It's awesome. The L2 is a nice ~minute long buff, and it has the spammy longsword action. It scales B/B at +5, and at 40/40 it's doing very high 400s in damage per swing. I think it's better than the dark sword - seems like it swings faster, especially the first swing. Good stab too. Only downside is the L2 is the buff, so there isn't a guard break like a typical longsword. but git gud and foot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

To be honest, I don't really like the covenants in this game. I mean from a mechanics standpoint being able to swap them out at will is really nice, but it feels like they've lost most of the flavor behind them as a result. Most of the covenant leaders in this game are NPCs that literally say nothing, and in several cases are just a corpse. I think there's a grand total of one that actually has new dialogue after you turn in faction rewards? They just don't feel important anymore I guess.

Does Darkmoon give you new dialog as you rank up? I haven't checked Yorshka's Talk option recently. I like her as an NPC a lot, though.

But also I agree: covenants feel really stripped-down in this. Not as much as Bloodborne obviously, but still pretty barebones. I do love being able to switch on the fly, but really they're just not different enough. Let's look them over.
  • Way of Blue. Works fine for what it does. Could be a little more prominently placed and emphasized for brand new players, but it works.
  • Warriors of Sunlight. Again, works fine. Should probably have moved the altar earlier, but eh, not a huge deal.
  • Blue Sentinels and Blade of the Darkmoon. Identical covenants, to the point that they not only share a turn-in item, they also share ranks and offer the same reward. Well, okay, Darkmoons get bonus covenant rewards for killing Aldrich Faithful, and their phantoms are slightly different colors (blue-black for Sentinels, blue-white for Darkmoon). There's no reason to be a Blue Sentinel once you get Darkmoon, so for all intents and purposes I'm guessing Blue Sentinels only exists so that they could put Blade of the Darkmoon as late as they did and still have people to help early Way of Blue adherents.
  • Rosaria's Fingers. Frankly, why is this even a covenant? It makes your Red Eye Orb do what it already did. You get bonus covenant rewards for killing blue phantoms but that's kind of another :shrug: to me. That's the only mechanical effect of this covenant.
  • Watchdogs of Farron and Aldrich Faithful. I dig territorial covenants, but we've been there before, done that already. I'm glad they're here, wouldn't want them gone, but they're nothing new.
  • Mound-Makers. Ah, now we're talking. Agents of chaos. Could probably use a couple tiny tweaks to how they work, but they're a great concept and executed about as well as any other covenant in a Dark Souls game, so they're kind of the bright spot here.
And that's it. A bunch of covenants that either don't really do anything special, only invade in specific areas, or are just duplicates of each other and then one pretty neat one.

Maybe we'll get new covenants in DLC. Bloodborne added one in its DLC, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Mr. WTF posted:

Just want to put a word in for the sunlight straight sword. It's awesome. The L2 is a nice ~minute long buff, and it has the spammy longsword action. It scales B/B at +5, and at 40/40 it's doing very high 400s in damage per swing. I think it's better than the dark sword - seems like it swings faster, especially the first swing. Good stab too. Only downside is the L2 is the buff, so there isn't a guard break like a typical longsword. but git gud and foot.

a straight sword in dark souls 3 is good??? i don't believe you!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I feel so blessed using my Darkmoon enchantment seeing as how only one fifth of the player base has a shot at getting it. Its the ultimate proof of my covenant with the Lord.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Vermain posted:

The people who plugpull seem to get invaded all the time

I hope that's actually a thing. Make anyone who constantly plug pulls top of the invasion list with a higher invasion level spread.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the only thing that would make mound makers better is if the level 30 covenant reward was a spell that worked like chameleon but made you look like one of the zone's enemies instead

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Harrow posted:

Does Darkmoon give you new dialog as you rank up? I haven't checked Yorshka's Talk option recently. I like her as an NPC a lot, though.

But also I agree: covenants feel really stripped-down in this. Not as much as Bloodborne obviously, but still pretty barebones. I do love being able to switch on the fly, but really they're just not different enough. Let's look them over.
  • Way of Blue. Works fine for what it does. Could be a little more prominently placed and emphasized for brand new players, but it works.
  • Warriors of Sunlight. Again, works fine. Should probably have moved the altar earlier, but eh, not a huge deal.
  • Blue Sentinels and Blade of the Darkmoon. Identical covenants, to the point that they not only share a turn-in item, they also share ranks and offer the same reward. Well, okay, Darkmoons get bonus covenant rewards for killing Aldrich Faithful, and their phantoms are slightly different colors (blue-black for Sentinels, blue-white for Darkmoon). There's no reason to be a Blue Sentinel once you get Darkmoon, so for all intents and purposes I'm guessing Blue Sentinels only exists so that they could put Blade of the Darkmoon as late as they did and still have people to help early Way of Blue adherents.
  • Rosaria's Fingers. Frankly, why is this even a covenant? It makes your Red Eye Orb do what it already did. You get bonus covenant rewards for killing blue phantoms but that's kind of another :shrug: to me. That's the only mechanical effect of this covenant.
  • Watchdogs of Farron and Aldrich Faithful. I dig territorial covenants, but we've been there before, done that already. I'm glad they're here, wouldn't want them gone, but they're nothing new.
  • Mound-Makers. Ah, now we're talking. Agents of chaos. Could probably use a couple tiny tweaks to how they work, but they're a great concept and executed about as well as any other covenant in a Dark Souls game, so they're kind of the bright spot here.
And that's it. A bunch of covenants that either don't really do anything special, only invade in specific areas, or are just duplicates of each other and then one pretty neat one.

Maybe we'll get new covenants in DLC. Bloodborne added one in its DLC, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

There needs to be a blue eye orb and some sort of reverse invasion thing like rats or gravelords except working this time. Also your Classic Darkwraith idea is cool.. Rosaria sux.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

I feel so blessed using my Darkmoon enchantment seeing as how only one fifth of the player base has a shot at getting it. Its the ultimate proof of my covenant with the Lord.

I'm only five ears away, fellow Darkmoon comrade.

I'm looking at like a 40 Dex/50 Faith build at SL 125 for Gotthard Twinsword + Darkmoon Blade action. Or Carthus Curved Sword, that one's a ton of fun and looks awesome buffed.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've got around 30 DEX/30 FTH for my Swordspear, still a little low in overall SL (80ish), and though the weapon is great at catching invaders off-guard something feels a little off about its damage output. Would I get much more benefit from using it on a quality build with the Leo ring, you think?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Can anyone give me advice on how to kill CRG? I'm using a Fire Uchigatana +2 and have less than 50% equip load. I'm level 25.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

net cafe scandal posted:

I've never gotten a single hit from Blue Sentinels/Watchdogs/etc., so I think I'm on the special From Software poo poo List, presumably for making positive posts about DS2. I wish they'd at least address that certain people are having connectivity issues instead of being stonily silent about the whole thing.

Capsaicin posted:

Can anyone give me advice on how to kill CRG? I'm using a Fire Uchigatana +2 and have less than 50% equip load. I'm level 25.

Target the white egg sacks that are visible around its body. You can also hit the hand in the second phase if none of them are within reach.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I love the Carthus sword and it looks unbelievably swaggy with my sultan prince outfit [Sellsword Helm / Court Sorcerer Robe / Pale Shade Gloves / Evangelist Trousers]

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Oh, what's that you say.. you dont have the Pale Shade set... *admires nails*

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

There needs to be a blue eye orb and some sort of reverse invasion thing like rats or gravelords except working this time. Also your Classic Darkwraith idea is cool.. Rosaria sux.

If I wasn't already going to buy every DLC, a Blue Eye Orb would sell me on one instantly. Or just a tweak to the Red Eye Orb to make it function like a Blue Eye Orb if you're wearing Sentinel/Darkmoon. I'd love that so much.

Rat covenant was cool in DS2 for sure, but I'd want it to be more prominent if it were to have a DS3 version. Make it work in an area that's mandatory for progression, and then have the ratbro invade your world and be able to activate traps and release monsters and such. Make it so the ratbro can't actually fight hosts themselves and have lowered HP, so if you get caught you're toast, so your job is to run around activating traps and trying not to let the host see you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Since when do monsters attack red orb invaders?
Got almost killed by loving silver knights in an invasion today...