Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

showbiz_liz posted:

So Canada has announced - on 4/20, no less - that beginning in spring 2017 they will be legalizing marijuana.

that'll be a big thing since it means they'll be more or less be violating some international anti-drug treaties they're part of

perhaps it'll set a precedent and get another north american country to loosen up

hahahaha what am I thinking, that's ridiculous

honestly it'll probably bring some tension between the two countries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

showbiz_liz posted:

So Canada has announced - on 4/20, no less - that beginning in spring 2017 they will be legalizing marijuana.

Why are people acting as though this is a failed campaign promise before he even had a chance to properly fulfill it?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

They hosed up the assisted dying legislation apparently to court the conservatives (or maybe they're just as incompetent as Harper's goons were), so presumably they'll gently caress up marijuana legislation for the same reason.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Latest change to the criminal justice "reform" bill has added mandatory minimums.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/criminal-justice-reform-senate-222577 posted:

And it adds enhanced mandatory sentences for crimes involving Fentanyl, an opioid drug.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Xandu posted:

Latest change to the criminal justice "reform" bill has added mandatory minimums.

who's responsible for the change?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

When I joined SA ten years ago, TCC was calling for people who push Fentanyl as a heroin replacement to be tossed into prison because so many of their friends had died from it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's probably a knee jerk reaction to people dying from heroin laced with it. It's becoming a huge problem.

Doesn't mean it's the right thing to do, it's just the rationale.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

who's responsible for the change?

Original bill couldn't get through the Senate because of conservative pressure. Though apparently Democrats are also opposing a similar bill in the House because of 'mens rea reform,' which I'm not totally familiar with the implications of.

Aliquid posted:

When I joined SA ten years ago, TCC was calling for people who push Fentanyl as a heroin replacement to be tossed into prison because so many of their friends had died from it.

Fentanyl is definitely some nasty poo poo, very easy to overdose on.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Xandu posted:

Original bill couldn't get through the Senate because of conservative pressure. Though apparently Democrats are also opposing a similar bill in the House because of 'mens rea reform,' which I'm not totally familiar with the implications of.

"mens rea reform" is code for making it harder to charge executives with crimes by demanding prosecutors prove they "willfully" broke the law.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

"mens rea reform" is code for making it harder to charge executives with crimes by demanding prosecutors prove they "willfully" broke the law.

Wouldn't it have the largest impact on drug laws? Not many other laws make the mere possession of something a serious felony, this would place a significantly higher burden of proof on prosecutors who can currently hang 20 years over every suspect caught with a few baggies of something.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Wouldn't it have the largest impact on drug laws? Not many other laws make the mere possession of something a serious felony, this would place a significantly higher burden of proof on prosecutors who can currently hang 20 years over every suspect caught with a few baggies of something.

What they mean includes this:

quote:

§ 11. Default state of mind proof requirement in Federal criminal cases

If no state of mind is required by law for a Federal criminal offense—
(1) the state of mind the Government must prove is knowing; and
(2) if the offense consists of conduct that a reasonable person in the same or similar circumstances would not know, or would not have reason to believe, was unlawful, the Government must prove that the defendant knew, or had reason to believe, the conduct was unlawful.

Federal drug laws already require knowing, so there's not any change at all.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Xandu posted:

Fentanyl is definitely some nasty poo poo, very easy to overdose on.

The iron law of prohibtion strikes again:

http://news.nationalpost.com/health...-on-the-streets

Re: fentanyl - Depends how it's packaged. Never seen anyone overdose on fentanyl lollipops. As soon as it hits the street in powdered form on the otherhand... prohibitionists are the ones to blame for that though.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 29, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Gobbeldygook posted:

This is a pretty bad faith way of describing a reasonable criminal justice reform - do you oppose mens rea requirements in all common law jursidictions?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Well, it's looking more and more certain everyday that Prince died from opiate-related causes. Gov. Dayton has publically stated his opposition to legalization in MN, but if NORML is smart, they'll use this as a push. Not to mention purple goes well with all sorts of weed culture.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Some disheartening news on the legalization front.

So Vermont decriminalized the possession of small amounts of marijuana in 2013. Some months ago Vermont's state senate voted to fully legalize marijuana. Its outgoing Governor (who had signed the decrim bill) publicly supported the measure. If successful this would have been the first state legalization of cannabis by lawmakers. It looked like the proposed law had a good chance of passing.

This past week the measure was taken up the Vermont House and soundly defeated. This full story about the failure of the measure is worth reading.

https://www.leafly.com/news/headlines/crash-and-burn-in-burlington-how-legalization-failed-in-vermont

I find this part interesting:

quote:

House Majority Leader Sarah Copeland Hanzas said legislators never heard a groundswell of support for legalization from their constituents. Without that, she said, interest among most members for tackling the topic was lukewarm at best.

Kevin Ellis, a longtime statehouse lobbyist who was working to defeat the bill, said supporters never laid the groundwork to garner public support for legalization. “You’ve got to educate people,” he said. “People aren’t ready.”

I don't buy that "people aren't ready" but it appears there really wasn't much public support for legalization in that state (as in enough to pressure the legislatures to pass it.) I wonder what can account for the difference between the State senate and House on the issue though.

Kevin Sabet was gloating on twitter.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Unlike Vermont, at least Massachusetts allows for binding ballot measures, and (as might've been mentioned in this thread) one is slated for November 2016 on election day for that state that would legalize cannabis. But the state's top officials (in a show of bipartisan union) have been loudly campaigning against the measure. And now they've filed a lawsuit based on the claim that the proposed measure is not "honest."

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2016/05/baker_walsh_anti_marijuana_group_to_blast_pot_ballot_measure

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
One of the Michigan groups aiming at getting it on the ballot, MILegalize, claims to have enough signatures to get the measure placed on the November ballot. They are saying they've got over 300,000 signatures that are verified and checked for duplicates. The requirement for November ballot measures in Michigan this year is 253,000.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
A very good article about over-regulation as a tactic of crypto-prohibitionists.

http://blog.norml.org/2016/05/09/reefer-madness-2-0-over-regulation/

My comment:

quote:

Thank you so much for this perspicacious article that succinctly clarifies the annoying role these drug policy “experts” play in continuing the stigmatization of marijuana and, therefore, its continued prohibition.

First, Kevin Sabet is an out and out marijuana prohibitionist, and he and his SMART organization are very plain in their intention to prevent marijuana legalization, and so his odious scare mongering about “big marijuana” glaringly comes off as a debate tactic that let’s him drone on when it’s his turn to speak in debates but I don’t believe he really ever wins over anyone who wasn’t already inclined to favor continued prohibition. Still, I give up him some respect in being plain about his intentions.

No, more sinister than Kevin Sabet are these people: Mark. A.R Kleiman, Jonathan P. Caulkins, and Beau Kilmer, a public policy group focused on drugs who often work together. They are marijuana prohibitionists in their bones, but now that public opinion has come to favor legalization, they act resigned to eventual legalization but work tirelessly to implement the “over-regulation” regime the article describes. I said “sinister” because if you think about it an individual on the fence about legalization can quite reasonably decide, based on the arguments by these “experts” as to how legalization should be implemented, that it’s just better to play it safe and vote against legalization.

Which is why it’s fairly disconcerting that these individuals keep getting airtime in prominent media outlets to give the “expert” opinion on marijuana legalization. Jonathan P. Caulkins a few months ago in a journal article he penned: “It is clear we would all be better off if marijuana did not exist.” And this guy is giving the “expert” opinion to major print news outlet about marijuana legalization (while providing studies and policy suggestions to legislators for how they should approach legalization.)

Those people (Kleiman, Caulkins, and Kilmer, perhaps others?) relentlessly argue that the only acceptable legalization models are ones where the government either controls the production or heavily taxes it as to discourage consumption.

Kilmer's proposal to states that want to legalize to take the middle road:

https://twitter.com/BeauKilmer/status/722793527277592576

In my humble opinion the goal of ending marijuana prohibition should also be to end stigmatization of marijuana, and the above policy suggestion that labels selling cannabis like alcohol as right next to "extreme" goes against this goal.

objects in mirror fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 11, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Pro-Weed people pre-legalization: "Why don't they just treat it like alcohol?"

Pro-Weed people after legalization: "Why are they treating it just like alcohol?"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

computer parts posted:

Pro-Weed people pre-legalization: "Why don't they just treat it like alcohol?"

Pro-Weed people after legalization: "Why are they treating it just like alcohol?"

...what?

objects in mirror posted:

I don't buy that "people aren't ready" but it appears there really wasn't much public support for legalization in that state (as in enough to pressure the legislatures to pass it.) I wonder what can account for the difference between the State senate and House on the issue though.
It's bullshit, the Vermonters I know weren't going crazy pushing for it because they were convinced the legislature was going to be reasonable and that they didn't need to, which is exactly what would have happened if the House hadn't screwed it up.

It's an attempt by the house to get out of doing their jobs, for whatever reason, while trying to blame the public, and it's atrocious.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 12, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
e: nope I guess I misread in this case

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

computer parts posted:

e: nope I guess I misread in this case

I mean this is absurd:

quote:

According to Kleiman, this would be his perfect system: “If you want to buy (marijuana), you should sign up as a buyer, you should probably take some kind of minimal test like a driving test to make sure you know what you’re talking about and then you should be asked to set for yourself a purchase quota on, say, a monthly basis. How many joint-equivalents a month do you want to use? Give us a number. Every time you make a purchase, that purchase will be recorded against that quota. And if you bought as much this month as you said you wanted to be able to buy this month, the clerk will say “I’m sorry the order was refused.”

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

objects in mirror posted:

I mean this is absurd:

Seems like a simple solution. "Make my quota a million joints per month."

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Internet Webguy posted:

Seems like a simple solution. "Make my quota a million joints per month."

if you go over the secret quota declaration limit they call you a dealer and send you to jail

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Do people still smoke joints

I mean I haven't rolled a joint in like, 5 years at least between glass and pens and one hitters

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Joints are way less efficient than glass and kinda wasteful. They're entirely cost-prohibitive for me, but cheap, legal weed would have me rolling fatties every day.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

In Colorado, anyone I've ever met using paper is smoking spliffs. The cool kids are dabbing or using paxes, and the lifestylers stick with glass. It's kind of impressive how incredibly little people like Klieman or certain outspoken law enforcement types know about the culture they're dealing with. I know that "hey you're just out of touch, man" is like the stonerest possible response to have, but it's striking all the same.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Octatonic posted:

In Colorado, anyone I've ever met using paper is smoking spliffs. The cool kids are dabbing or using paxes, and the lifestylers stick with glass. It's kind of impressive how incredibly little people like Klieman or certain outspoken law enforcement types know about the culture they're dealing with. I know that "hey you're just out of touch, man" is like the stonerest possible response to have, but it's striking all the same.
Less that he's out of touch than that 'joint-equivalents' is still how marijuana usage is measured in surveys and scientific studies. Marijuana usage is usually converted into joint-equivalents. A quick google says a joint is usually equivalent to 0.3-0.5 grams.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

Less that he's out of touch than that 'joint-equivalents' is still how marijuana usage is measured in surveys and scientific studies. Marijuana usage is usually converted into joint-equivalents. A quick google says a joint is usually equivalent to 0.3-0.5 grams.

That makes sense! Why not say "Xg of marijuana" or "Xmg of thc" though? It seems like there are better, more quantifiable, frameworks now.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Kleiman and his clique are to cannabis reformers what white moderates were to the civil rights campaigners during MLK's time:

quote:

over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.
https://www.africa.upenn.edu/Articles_Gen/Letter_Birmingham.html

Obstructionist assholes.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My mom and all her hippy friends still smoke joints because they can go around with like 20 joints each in their purses. It's ridiculous.

I can't hang with that so I just smoke my Pax and I'm good for several hours. Used to do glass but the Pax is great, especially with fresh weed.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The weed store near me sells joints that are way too big. I wish everyone had this problem and wish you all luck in the fight to legalize

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, the shop near me has ridiculous ones as well. The one time I smoked one indoors I thought I was going to set off the fire alarm. And yes, being able to walk a block to a weed store is amazing.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I'm still having some lingering trouble getting used to it, to be honest, but it's pretty awesome. Especially when you live anywhere near the ones in Edgewater (CO) that are open till midnight

BowreeBookstore
Oct 29, 2015
There hasn't been a lot of great press over the last few days. The prohibitionist talking points seem pretty coordinated across states and are mostly focused on higher THC content and fearmongering over impaired driving. Both are pretty potent arguments to have floating around for people who might be on the fence but not particularly interested in looking into the issue. Especially bad is that a number of places are subtly implying the AAA survey in Washington showed a two times increase in fatal accidents after legalization period. That could be a nasty misconception to have out there.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, the shop near me has ridiculous ones as well. The one time I smoked one indoors I thought I was going to set off the fire alarm. And yes, being able to walk a block to a weed store is amazing.

Smoking joints alone is kind of too much, especially with the quality of the legal weed. I still get a 2 pack of .5 gram joints when I go to the store, because after getting a quarter or half of something I'll have some cash left over and I don't usually carry cash so I'll get some joints or something.

The thing about the increased THC potency is that after the first few times you learn pretty quick where your limit is. It isn't like alcohol where after I drink 4 beers I enter the "gently caress yeah" phase and decide its perfectly ok to drink another 8 beers and you wake up sick and hungover the next day.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FetusSlapper posted:

It isn't like alcohol where after I drink 4 beers I enter the "gently caress yeah" phase and decide its perfectly ok to drink another 8 beers and you wake up sick and hungover the next day.

This is the main reason I smoke weed in the first place.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

BowreeBookstore posted:

There hasn't been a lot of great press over the last few days. The prohibitionist talking points seem pretty coordinated across states and are mostly focused on higher THC content and fearmongering over impaired driving. Both are pretty potent arguments to have floating around for people who might be on the fence but not particularly interested in looking into the issue. Especially bad is that a number of places are subtly implying the AAA survey in Washington showed a two times increase in fatal accidents after legalization period. That could be a nasty misconception to have out there.

That's how I initially read that AAA survey in Washington as well, but what it actually said is more subtle and nowhere near as problematic, because the claim is only for fatal crashes involving marijuana.

http://www.boston.com/cars/news-and...uNNL/story.html

quote:

The survey by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety found fatal crashes involving marijuana more than doubled in Washington after marijuana was legalized for recreational use in late 2012.

quote:

AAA found 49 drivers involved in fatal crashes had marijuana in their system in 2013. That number jumped to 106 drivers in 2014, an increase from 8 to 17 percent of all fatal crashes. Some of these drivers also had alcohol or other drugs in their system at the time of the crash.

objects in mirror fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 13, 2016

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Let's say I want a job growing weed in washington state. Is it still young enough that someone with a little gardening experience can get in, or is it like any other job full of more qualified people than me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

There was a story today locally about how big businesses were lining up for large-scale CBD production licenses in Texas.

• Locked thread