Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

fishmech posted:

We, as a nation do not have a fetish for firearms. Nearly 80% of Americans do not own a gun at this current time, and over half of people who do only have one or two, typically a standard shotgun and/or a standard long rifle. And many of them aren't even in working order, they're dad's old gun, or the gun grandpa kept after he got back from WWII or the Korean war. And on top of that, most people do support increased gun control.

There is however about 6% or less of the population who are gun hoarders, and they're why the average amount of guns owned by gun owners is 4 - they are why despite under 72 million Americans owning any guns at all, there's 300 million guns in private ownership.. When you consider just how many millions of the gun owners out there only have 1 or 2 guns, you start to get an idea of just how many guns the high end people are owning to drag the average up to 4!

Spitballing here so I have no figures or anything. I am only arguing a hypothetical.

Even if the rate of gun owners themselves was low couldn't it still be accepted our nation as a whole might have a gun fetish if say, guns were much more fundamental to our pop culture depictions of ourselves. What if we had movie heroes giving speeches about waving the world's must powerful handgun around? And our highest selling video games were about shooting peeps to unlock cool tactical (and cosmetic) accessories for our guns? And gun language pervaded our sexual metaphors so a impotent guy was shooting blanks even if he was constantly polishing his rifle like the chronic masturbator he is? Hell, what if it wasn't just our sexual metaphors but out metaphors in general? What if people being investigated were under the cross hairs or under fire?

I realize those aren't great (or even all) the examples. But isn't there a lot more to a cultural fetish than just how many people own the fetish object? To go to a vulgar place, white nerd culture has an Asian woman fetish, but I bet less than 1 in 5 have an Asian girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

His Purple Majesty posted:

Would making a third bathroom for colored people be a viable solution?

happy to help

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

Not to mention the vast majority of molesting occurs by assholes close to the victim. Like a coach.

Or well known political figure.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
"There is no data to establish that this law restricting personal freedoms is necessary, but we feel really strongly that it must be, so the onus is on you to prove it isn't." --The Party of Small Government and Personal Responsibility

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i do this with my daughter because generally men's rooms dont have changing tables. and a couple of places i hang out have removed the male and female signs from their single occupant bathrooms in favor of just marking the one that has a urinal.

DC actually made it illegal to have gender-specific single occupant bathrooms.

(It is not particularly well enforced, though.)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Not to mention the vast majority of molesting occurs by assholes close to the victim. Like a coach.

Lol Sandusky was literally outchea running a non-profit helping "support" underprivileged youth.

But nah, gotta worry about bathrooms.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Nevvy Z posted:

Or well known political figure.

Perhaps both at the same time?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Came back from a company picnic to see this at the top of Google:

It's a real good day today.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dexo posted:

This entire thing is solved by just minding your own drat business.

If a molester is going to be posted up in "YOUR DAUGHTERS BATHROOM™" these laws aren't going to do poo poo about it. As Like the Act of Molesting is already illegal and they are doing it so breaking a dumb bathroom law isn't going to phase them.

Looks like someone doesn't know about the magical forcefields that bar people of ill-intent from entering bathrooms when these bills get pased. :v:

alpha_destroy posted:

Spitballing here so I have no figures or anything. I am only arguing a hypothetical.

Even if the rate of gun owners themselves was low couldn't it still be accepted our nation as a whole might have a gun fetish if say, guns were much more fundamental to our pop culture depictions of ourselves. What if we had movie heroes giving speeches about waving the world's must powerful handgun around? And our highest selling video games were about shooting peeps to unlock cool tactical (and cosmetic) accessories for our guns? And gun language pervaded our sexual metaphors so a impotent guy was shooting blanks even if he was constantly polishing his rifle like the chronic masturbator he is? Hell, what if it wasn't just our sexual metaphors but out metaphors in general? What if people being investigated were under the cross hairs or under fire?

I realize those aren't great (or even all) the examples. But isn't there a lot more to a cultural fetish than just how many people own the fetish object? To go to a vulgar place, white nerd culture has an Asian woman fetish, but I bet less than 1 in 5 have an Asian girlfriend.

They have like 99% of that stuff in the media people have in places like Australia and the UK as well. For some reason they don't bother to listen to their own personal gun nuts. Hell, a lot of these things directly derive from UK usage in particular.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 28, 2016

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Zombie Samurai posted:

Came back from a company picnic to see this at the top of Google:

It's a real good day today.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

zoux posted:

Obama made a surprise appearance at the College Reporter Day in the WH briefing room.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/white-house-college-reporter-day
Currently on going.

Awww...I bet they all think they're gonna make a difference instead of writing listicles of what dogs look like what politicians.

Thanks for sharing this :)

edit: When the girl gets on called on by the President of the United States and says, "Hey" and the President goes "Heyyyy!"
hahaha

blue squares fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 28, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

His Purple Majesty posted:

Would making a third bathroom for trans people be a viable solution?

In addition to what other people have said, there are a lot of transgender individuals who would not be excited at being required* to publicly reveal that they are transgender. Reasons for this may include that they are the most proportionally common demographic target of hate crimes in the country, to a fairly ridiculous degree.

* - within the enforcement caveats that apply to the current really stupid bathroom bills

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

blue squares posted:

Thanks for sharing this :)

edit: When the girl gets on called on by the President of the United States and says, "Hey" and the President goes "Heyyyy!"
hahaha

Where he ranks on the Best/Worst list will be up to historians but I don't think anyone can deny Obama is our coolest president.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

Where he ranks on the Best/Worst list will be up to historians but I don't think anyone can deny Obama is our coolest president.

*falls through drop ceiling, collapsed into a pathetic quivering heap of fat and gypsum dust wracked with spasms* teddy roosevelt fought a panther with a knife

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

*falls through drop ceiling, collapsed into a pathetic quivering heap of fat and gypsum dust wracked with spasms* teddy roosevelt fought a panther with a knife

so he invaded the natural habitat of a living being and murdered it? uncool

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I'm sure TR hated minorities or women or something.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zoux posted:

It's just nice to finally have a president that Can Jump.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

blue squares posted:

so he invaded the natural habitat of a living being and murdered it? uncool
That's not his fault, they didn't have drones back then.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

zoux posted:

Oh I'm sure TR hated minorities or women or something.

Dan carlin does kinda iffy history podcasts, but he was right on in talking about how everyone loves TR and he's everyone favorite president, but most people don't know anything about him

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

WampaLord posted:

It's just nice to finally have a president that Can Jump.

Presumably he can also get the "rock" into the basketball ring, I am told via a third party who ostensibly knows about basketball.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/28/black-voters-gun-violence-police-misconduct-poll

quote:

At a Thursday press conference, Joel Benenson, the polling firm’s CEO, said it was “disturbing” that 57% of African Americans – and 64% of African Americans 18 to 29 years old – believe that most other Americans do not care about gun violence in their communities.

Violence, incarceration and police mistreatment were personal issues for many of the 600 African Americans surveyed in the Benenson poll. Roughly 40% – and 48% of younger voters aged 18 to 29 – said they or someone close to them had been affected by gun violence. 75% said they personally knew someone who had been incarcerated.

More than 80% said they “frequently worry about interactions between the police and young men of color”. More than half said they or someone close to them had had a negative interaction with law enforcement.

Extremely sad.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So the governor of Tennessee signed the latest anti-lgbt law today. It allows mental health professionals to refuse services based on their "sincerely held pricipals".

Raw Story posted:

Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam on Wednesday evening signed a bill into law allowing therapists and counselors to decline to serve clients when doing so would violate their beliefs.

Senate Bill 1556 allows mental health professionals to refuse service when the “goals, outcomes, or behaviors” of the client conflict with their own “sincerely held principles.” Gay-rights groups have denounced the legislation as a license to discriminate against the LGBT community.

“The substance of this bill doesn’t address a group, issue or belief system,” the governor said. “Rather, it allows counselors — just as we allow other professionals like doctors and lawyers — to refer a client to another counselor when the goals or behaviors would violate a sincerely held principle.”

This one was also backed by Kim Davis's lawyers.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

His administration is also the most scandal free in the modern age. To the point that they have made poo poo up to approximate scandals. No blowjobs, no selling arms to enemies to fund death squads, no made up threats to start useless wars. poo poo it's been a pretty peaceful and quiet 8 years.

I know someone is going to say but, but, drones or extraordinary renditions or Gitmo but seriously, from a historical perspective, this administration is probably going to go down as some golden years in American history.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Just waiting on someone to start a religion with a single tenet, that being denying all services to cis white straight rich men, and then see how many conservative heads explode.

I wonder how many other laws shouldn't apply to people because of their religious beliefs? What if I'm a strict believer in the Aztec religion and have a sincerely held belief in human sacrifice?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Polling indicates we're already going to miss Obama when he's gone

If it's Clinton who ends up on top, even the GOP will. Can't wait to hear things like, "why can't you be more like Obama!" for 4-8 years

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I want Trollbama to make endless remarks about that.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Whoa now! It's not that police don't care about gun violence in their communities, it's that police have started taking vows to enforce their own personal views of what the Constitution says and reject any (pro-gun-control) alternatives :clint:

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
Got to shake hands with Bernie Sanders and thank him for his work in Congress about two hours ago. He was apparently in Eugene for a campaign stop and I ran into his motorcade on my way to work. He was getting a donut and somehow I beat most of the crowd (right place, right time I guess).

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Fox Ironic posted:

Got to shake hands with Bernie Sanders and thank him for his work in Congress about two hours ago. He was apparently in Eugene for a campaign stop and I ran into his motorcade on my way to work. He was getting a donut and somehow I beat most of the crowd (right place, right time I guess).

That's really cool.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Did you tell him "nice meltdown"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Epic High Five posted:

Polling indicates we're already going to miss Obama when he's gone

If it's Clinton who ends up on top, even the GOP will. Can't wait to hear things like, "why can't you be more like Obama!" for 4-8 years

The best Troll will be if Hillary nominates him to the Supreme Court.

He wouldn't even have to say anything, the message would be clear: "I offered Merrick Garland, you did this to yourself."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fox Ironic posted:

Yeah, my sister saw him eating lunch somewhere in Eugene.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

blue squares posted:

Did you tell him "nice meltdown"

I said "Thank you for your work in Congress Senator, you have my vote in the Oregon Primary," then kept walking to work because I was one of like 25 people and I knew he was about to get completely swamped.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

So the governor of Tennessee signed the latest anti-lgbt law today. It allows mental health professionals to refuse services based on their "sincerely held pricipals".

This one was also backed by Kim Davis's lawyers.

We're going to see a swarm of these bills from this group pop up seemingly out of nowhere. They'll be disguised as bills meant to protect religious liberty or cultural traditions but in effect are meant to allow bigots to continue giving LGBT people a hard time in their day to day existence, just as they were thrilled to do all the years up until Obergefell.

This group of bigoted fundamentalist lawyers and their supporters can no longer prevent gays from getting married, so they're going to invent new and more creative ways to legally keep them in their place.

It's purely about spite and every argument against these laws should point that out.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Yeah, my sister saw him eating lunch somewhere in Eugene.

Sizzle Pie I'm pretty sure, it's a Punk/Hipster NY-style Pizzaria.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's purely about spite and every argument against these laws should point that out.

I really hope that people in the media begin speaking more plainly about these bills coming out. It's comically transparent how this is all about punching downwards and using religion to feel good about being a hateful piece of poo poo. I totally remember stories of Jesus going, "I help only those who look like me and think like me. Ew gross get away from me." Bonus points if you remember stories of him saying "...by the way, the eye of a needle is a really big gate at a city so lol that thing i just said doesn't mean anything."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

On the trans bathroom topic since it didn't come up: You're also now creating a toilet that no trans person will want to actually use, because it's a big sign saying "Hi, I'm trans." In other words, you're just adding to the farcial discriminatory torment which the entire exercise seems designed to create.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

BobTheJanitor posted:

Just waiting on someone to start a religion with a single tenet, that being denying all services to cis white straight rich men, and then see how many conservative heads explode.

I wonder how many other laws shouldn't apply to people because of their religious beliefs? What if I'm a strict believer in the Aztec religion and have a sincerely held belief in human sacrifice?

It only counts if your religion is part of Are Judeo-Christian Heritage, obviously.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The cannabis church in Indiana is trying that out. Plus peyote churches but that's a smaller demographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Power Walrus posted:

I really hope that people in the media begin speaking more plainly about these bills coming out. It's comically transparent how this is all about punching downwards and using religion to feel good about being a hateful piece of poo poo. I totally remember stories of Jesus going, "I help only those who look like me and think like me. Ew gross get away from me." Bonus points if you remember stories of him saying "...by the way, the eye of a needle is a really big gate at a city so lol that thing i just said doesn't mean anything."

I remember seeing a picture on Social Media of Jesus talking with a Christian Woman who asks "Jesus, what do you think of my Lesbian neighbors getting married?"

He responds with "are they planning on getting divorced?"

• Locked thread