Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
The last metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace.

Mithaldu posted:

styrofoam chat:
Jesus, I guess it's time to invest in an electric resistance soldering tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, the newspaper had a piece today about it being the International Day of Occupational Health and Safety.

It said that here in the Netherlands, most companies have the proper safety equipment. The troubling thing is that they can't seem to get the workers to use it. They don't seem to think it's important. The yearly amount of people suffering a work related accident is apparently relatively high. Apparently managers have no idea how they can convince workers to wear helmets, goggles and steel-toed boots.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, the newspaper had a piece today about it being the International Day of Occupational Health and Safety.

It said that here in the Netherlands, most companies have the proper safety equipment. The troubling thing is that they can't seem to get the workers to use it. They don't seem to think it's important. The yearly amount of people suffering a work related accident is apparently relatively high. Apparently managers have no idea how they can convince workers to wear helmets, goggles and steel-toed boots.

Fire them when they refuse. It's not rocket science.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
It's National Day of Mourning for injured and killed workers in Ontario (Canada?) today too.

At our company, we have bi weekly toolbox talks about safety opportunities and accidents in other parts of the company (we're very, very, large) and how to avoid them in the future. We also have safety inspectors who will come out randomly or stay on jobs if they are on big projects to make sure people follow safety standards. We are also a closed shop so that may have something to do with it too (it does).

That being said, I've been warned before because I forgot to do a checklist for my equipment (I really should but they don't even keep the sheets so why bother?) and that same inspector did nothing as a guy was trying to hook lifting chains to the top of a trench box on a flatbed like 20' in the air with no tie off or anything. This was after they tried to lift it off with an underpowered excavator and almost flipped it. He's also our division's VP's brother so yeah.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
A safety video made for goons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Locator posted:

Well, then you'd slow down your project because of the need to replace fired workers. And that gets you yelled at by the bigger bosses.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't know the german word for forklift is "garbage stapler".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

I didn't know the german word for forklift is "garbage stapler".

Heh, mishearing things lol.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Gabelstapler. Fork-stacker, really.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Locator posted:

It ends up a little more complicated because solely relying on a top down manager/auditor driven system only actually catches the biggest idiots daring to get caught when its the repeated little chances taken day to day that often lead to tragedy. Its not the most endearing method in morale either.

Its like how traffic violations are largely just a money collection service. The real safety step changes come from drivers ed, and automotive and road engineering. Same can apply to industrial safety: start with the engineering systems in place, while working on shop floor driven safety through education, like making sure the folks taking on apprentices are the safety conscious folks. The goal is to start getting a critical mass of floor workers who will shame the idiots into being safer day to day.

You can also cast aspersions back at management, just because they can say hey we have PPE doesn't mean work processes are set up to allow the use, like unrealistic production targets, poor education on when and how to use the PPE, etc.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I can't believe there's anyone in this thread who hasn't seen Staplerfahrer Klaus.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

The Locator posted:

Exactly. My wife's company fires people on the spot if they don't follow safety procedures. A master plumber with 20 years experience got canned on a job site a couple months back for not wearing a harness in a trench.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
This might be more of a fun&recreation safety issue than a OSHA thing, but speaking of a single screw coming loose and causing catastrophic failure, I like to know WHO THE gently caress SIGNED OFF ON THIS CONFIGURATION OF ATTACHING A SEAT TO A BICYCLE:

?????

This is my bike. It is a piece of poo poo I got for free. I adjusted the seat like 9 months ago and rode it almost daily. The single bolt holding the seat on went away while I was riding it one fine day about 10 weeks ago. I detected some looseness in the seat and planned on stopping to investigate when I was suddenly airborne and spinning. I had the presence of mind to tuck my head in and rolled. Thought I survived unscathed but my left wrist was kinda destroyed.
Here it is when I got the cast removed:

Was a fun pic to share on the FB. It's still swollen, still hurts, hot to the touch, can't use it much, and the pain med RX is goddamn stingy. Typing this post is pretty excruciating. When or if I get back on a bike it's gonna be something safe, like a Huffy.
I guess what I'm saying is if this setup is more prevalent these days then the ER rooms will soon be flooded with busted-up bicyclists.

Masturbasturd fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 28, 2016

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That's a pretty common setup. Some are single bolt, some are dual. The singles are easier to adjust. :)

vv Both pieces somewhat interlock with ridged surfaces. So when that single bolt fell out, there was probably enough holding force there to prevent wiggling and tipping you off. Instead, it waited and bucked you off. :haw:

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 28, 2016

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
It definitely was a "yellow-warning-light-to-HOLY SHITTTT!!!" experience. If something's wrong, I'd like a little more than 1 second to react.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Moral of the story: Never ride a bike.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I've had the 1 inch thick post holding the seat to the bike snap before, luckily I slipped off the back of the bike and it wheelied and helped me dump a bunch of momentum.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Johnny Aztec posted:

Counterpoint: bikes are rad.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

fyodor posted:

Counterpoint: bikes are rad.

Counter-counterpoint: the picture above.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

Johnny Aztec posted:

:ohdear:

But enough about the bike derailleur-ment. :razz:

I enjoyed the theme park posts. I worked ride op at a Disney park. Big money, mega safety, yet stupid people managed to mangle themselves in myriad ways.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Champenema posted:

Here it is when I got the cast removed:

Your fingers are like comically huge. Can you even make a fist yet?

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
with encouragement. rather sucks

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Champenema posted:

When or if I get back on a bike it's gonna be something safe, like a Huffy.

lol

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Champenema posted:

I enjoyed the theme park posts. I worked ride op at a Disney park. Big money, mega safety, yet stupid people managed to mangle themselves in myriad ways.

All the safety in the world won't stop someone from, say, shoving their hand into the track on the Pirates of the Caribbean drop. The old Disneyland and Walt Disney World list is full of even worse stupidity, from leaping between passing trains on the People Mover (and inevitably falling and being crushed by one) to trying to scale the monorail tracks to sneak into the park.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Today's safety lesson - you should actually maintain your bicycle periodically, including checking tension on critical fasteners. :v:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

The Locator posted:

Today's safety lesson - you should actually maintain your bicycle periodically, including checking tension on critical fasteners. :v:

No, let's go with a Huffy instead. For safety.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I think was in the 70's, at Space Mountain when you'd get buckled in with basic seat belts. Someone unbuckled theirs, got his head knocked off which landed in the lap of the person behind him. Lots of screams I'd imagine.
Stupid upon both parties here.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

The Locator posted:

Minutes before I was off my bike. In order to extract it from the public bike rack I maneuvered the bike by its saddle to get back on the path. Would've appreciated some discernable looseness then.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Champenema posted:

I think was in the 70's, at Space Mountain when you'd get buckled in with basic seat belts. Someone unbuckled theirs, got his head knocked off which landed in the lap of the person behind him. Lots of screams I'd imagine.
Stupid upon both parties here.

and this one time a friend of my uncle picked this girl up hitchiking home to her parents house and when he got there she had disappeared and her parents told him she had DIED 10 YEARS EARLIER TO THE VERY DAY OMG GUYS

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

All the safety in the world won't stop someone from, say, shoving their hand into the track on the Pirates of the Caribbean drop. The old Disneyland and Walt Disney World list is full of even worse stupidity, from leaping between passing trains on the People Mover (and inevitably falling and being crushed by one) to trying to scale the monorail tracks to sneak into the park.

I love the Disney fan blog reporting it took the ride offline for five hours. Reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjuVVlSgYLc

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
I got a call back for an internship at a Canadian manufacturing facility that has had 3 fatalities in as many decades and I really hope I get it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A market in Thailand that shares space with an active railway. Several times a day, the whole thing scoots over to let the train through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH0VPW-PuEE (1:50)

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

guys remember to always wear your eye protection

:nws::nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMoLJpwAQdM

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Since he didn't bother to actually describe it:

Graphic Video – Doctor Removes Large Piece of Glass from Man’s Eye

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
According to the video description, it happened during a car accident. He suffered no visual impairment afterwards.

"I'm just going to go to drive to the store". *puts on safety glasses and helmet*

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
Does anyone have a copy of that hawk's feet being left on a transformer after it exploded? Cant track it down and we had a major power cut just now due to a brid strike

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Movin' on up.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Carbon dioxide posted:

If you don't speak Bulgarian how the hell are you going to explain the need for PPE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Airborne Viking posted:

According to the video description, it happened during a car accident. He suffered no visual impairment afterwards.

that doesn't seem right though since in the last few frames you can actually see some sort of pattern/staining on the glass itself