Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I like how poking fun at the new doom in any way causes about a dozen goons to have meltdowns. Never change Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Buca di Bepis posted:

the texture alignment is basically all wrong

That was bothering me too, but I didn't want to say anything. I still appreciate that little secret, though.

I had a dream a few years back when I first heard about Call of Doom. I dreamt that in the game, you took command of a squad of resistance fighters, and had to fight your way into an enemy stronghold. There was cover based shooting, heavily scripted events that played out whether you fired a shot or not, reloading, health regeneration, the whole nine yards. Your objective was to storm a demon stronghold and turn off the teleporter there. 15 minutes in, you get to the center of the stronghold, and the teleporter is deactivated, and the demons are doing everything in their power to prevent your squadmates from getting to it. One by one they're killed, and before you can get to the control console, you're impaled and bleed out. As your last dying act, you activate the teleporter, and as your vision blacks out, you see the Doomguy step through. The POV changes to Doomguy (the last camera fuckery of the whole game) and instead of Call of Doom, you're now playing full on Brutal Doom.

That was my dream, hope you liked it, like, subscribe, and share.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gobblecoque posted:

I like how poking fun at the new doom in any way causes about a dozen goons to have meltdowns. Never change Games.

We've been making fun of doom since the first page. This is a really stupid defense mechanism. Anybody says something you don't like, "nice meltdown you spergy goon!". Seriously guys can we not?

Nothing posted in this thread even remotely approaches a meltdown. Meltdowns are huge walls of text. A single line criticizing somebody else's dumb post isn't a loving meltdown.

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world

Al-Saqr posted:

15 minutes no commentary gameplay of the Hell level:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i92rgRDT0lI

I wanted to look forward to Doom 4, but this looks really, really bad. Awful demon voiceover to start, most of the weapons have no impact, some obscure the screen and overheat and loot spews from badguys. Enemy models look wimpy and plasticky, music sucks too and most of the video is spent pointlessly circle strafing in a dull round arena.

I guess the Mancubus and Revenant were OK enemies, maybe the player was bad but it took way too long to kill a few dudes. Every bigger enemy pausing for a melee death pose before they die is incredibly dumb looking. I'm definitely gonna wait till this is 10 bucks on Steam or something. I like iD games and would be happy with either a reimagining of the original Doom or a good modern shooter like Wolfenstein, but this does neither and looks real bad.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

Brutal Doom.
Stopped reading here.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Was disappointed with the SP footage for a bunch of small reasons so im just gonna post a bunch of them here:

- The gun viewmodels are pretty boring to look at because the guns themselves are all stylistically similar and colored gray except for the SSG. The heavy machine gun looks like a grey rectangle with an ammo belt and the game spends 10 seconds having doomguy show off this gun to the player.
- Alternate fire on guns makes me think that many of the guns will fill similar roles instead of each one having a strong forte or niche.
- Sound design was extremely underwhelming. The demons make very little noise and the grunts and moans they do make seem indistinguishable from one another. Notably lacking was any kind of sound as a fireball wizzes past your character's head, any kind of sound that would let you know a demon teleported in to the area, and any kind of death sound from demons. Music was fine but I'm worried it could cover up audio cues that would let you know about your surroundings.
- Related to this, the devs said that threat assessment was a big part of battle but I really wasn't seeing much of it. Mostly it was whichever demon was seen first or whichever demon was closest and since monsters teleport into the arena there seems to be very little room for strategy.
- Variety of projectiles seemed lacking. Granted we haven't seen all the demons but the lack of hitscan enemies or just enemies with good aim meant that a wide circle strafe or just simply running around the edge of the area was the best strategy because it allows you to dodge everything. Revenant missiles don't seek, Mancubus shots hardly seemed like a threat in any situation.
- Lower level enemies seemed really hard to distinguish from each other from a distance making threat assessment much more difficult. even the imps and undead marines looked similar in most lighting.
- There is a extremely slow moving melee-only marine that seems to have no purpose other than to make you happy when he gibs.
- I really wish that enemies stood out more against the background. The lost souls were the only enemy that I felt had reasonably good audio and visual effects.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Doom purists are loving retarded

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stuntman posted:

Stopped reading here.

Congrats on almost making it to the end of a short post! With a little more effort, you'll be reading entire paragraphs soon. Keep it up, I know you can make it!

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
ill buy this game when it goes on sale for the same price call of juarez: gunslinger did, Ł7

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

BattleHamster posted:

Was disappointed with the SP footage for a bunch of small reasons so im just gonna post a bunch of them here:

- The gun viewmodels are pretty boring to look at because the guns themselves are all stylistically similar and colored gray except for the SSG. The heavy machine gun looks like a grey rectangle with an ammo belt and the game spends 10 seconds having doomguy show off this gun to the player.
- Alternate fire on guns makes me think that many of the guns will fill similar roles instead of each one having a strong forte or niche.
- Sound design was extremely underwhelming. The demons make very little noise and the grunts and moans they do make seem indistinguishable from one another. Notably lacking was any kind of sound as a fireball wizzes past your character's head, any kind of sound that would let you know a demon teleported in to the area, and any kind of death sound from demons. Music was fine but I'm worried it could cover up audio cues that would let you know about your surroundings.
- Related to this, the devs said that threat assessment was a big part of battle but I really wasn't seeing much of it. Mostly it was whichever demon was seen first or whichever demon was closest and since monsters teleport into the arena there seems to be very little room for strategy.
- Variety of projectiles seemed lacking. Granted we haven't seen all the demons but the lack of hitscan enemies or just enemies with good aim meant that a wide circle strafe or just simply running around the edge of the area was the best strategy because it allows you to dodge everything. Revenant missiles don't seek, Mancubus shots hardly seemed like a threat in any situation.
- Lower level enemies seemed really hard to distinguish from each other from a distance making threat assessment much more difficult. even the imps and undead marines looked similar in most lighting.
- There is a extremely slow moving melee-only marine that seems to have no purpose other than to make you happy when he gibs.
- I really wish that enemies stood out more against the background. The lost souls were the only enemy that I felt had reasonably good audio and visual effects.

They really did gently caress up with the lighting, half your complaints would probably be addressed if everything wasn't dimly lit in some obnoxious color or obscured in brown fog. That fullbright easter egg section and the images of monsters/guns in the Codex show that the models have a decent amount of pop to them, it's just they're then overlaid with murky filters and poo poo, I guess to make everything scary or atmospheric or something. As it is they may as well save processing power and just have us fight black silhouettes of everything, I'm sure this is an easy fix though with some config file edits.

Doom 4 is dark

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Ahundredbux posted:

Doom purists are is loving retarded

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Retard 4 is loving doomed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oe8OmFitp8 - good video of snapmap features

No John, you are the demons

You can re-create COD Nazi Zombies inside SnapMap, where you kill waves of demons and earn credits to buy things from a shop. Wow.

These maps are reminding me of Warcraft3 use map settings custom games, all the scripting nonsense people would come up with.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 29, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This game looks exactly how I expected it to look. It looks like it was made in FPS Creator.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

FactsAreUseless posted:

This game looks exactly how I expected it to look. It looks like it was made in FPS Creator.

It's called SnapMap™

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

All I can think of is this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hd_OuKosxg&t=218s

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Clevermuldoon posted:

Retard 4 is loving doomed.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 29, 2016

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Zaphod42 posted:

We've been making fun of doom since the first page. This is a really stupid defense mechanism. Anybody says something you don't like, "nice meltdown you spergy goon!". Seriously guys can we not?

Nothing posted in this thread even remotely approaches a meltdown. Meltdowns are huge walls of text. A single line criticizing somebody else's dumb post isn't a loving meltdown.

I don't know, I think that guy ragesperging out over ammo counts as a meltdown

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Watching that single player video on "hard" is pretty funny because there was so much armour strewn about that he was never in any danger. Good game design there.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

dogstile posted:

Watching that single player video on "hard" is pretty funny because there was so much armour strewn about that he was never in any danger. Good game design there.

Gotta save that Ultra Violent for the main release yo. :v:

Even though UV should have been shown since, well, isn't that what everyone plays on in any Doom-ish game?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Ultra Violence still being easy is staying true to the original Doom Experience™.

Doom will be good.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

dogstile posted:

I think he was playing with iddqd on.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

GUI posted:

Doom will be good.

:siren: Bzzzt, wrong opinion detected, report yourself to the gas chambers immediately.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

But will it be brown?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

In keeping true with the Doom II: Hell on Earth brown colour experience™, that will be Doom 2 (2019) if Doom (2016) does well.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
They should have taken note of smaller developers like the guys that made Killing Floor because they know how to make guns fun to shoot with what I'm guessing was much less money to make it so. That should be one of the top things they had focused on.

I also wish they'd have captured the atmosphere of the original doom, or the first quake. This feels like the jump from Quake to Quake2, or Demon Souls to Dark souls; they left behind that constant feeling of dread and made it more...I dunno, but some of you probably get what I'm trying to say.

I hope it turns out to be good at least gameplay wise, but it's not really looking like that is shaping up well either.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

I think he was playing with iddqd on.
They didn't have God Mode, but they did have way more equipment and upgrades then they should have at that point in the game.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Green barrels and no clip desired

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Not My Doom would be a much more interesting criticism if anyone could agree on what Doom was actually loving "meant" to be.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

poptart_fairy posted:

Not My Doom would be a much more interesting criticism if anyone could agree on what Doom was actually loving "meant" to be.

Hmmm, a bunch of different people think this game looks bad, but for different reasons... that means the game is good!

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Stick Duke Nukem quotes in it

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't care whether it's like classic Doom, a game I barely remember, it looks slow and boring and bad.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I've played classic Doom within the past year. Admittedly through a source port, but it's still good. Play you a Doom.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't care whether it's like classic Doom, a game I barely remember, it looks slow and boring and bad.

Uhm yeah of course it's slow if it's retarded that's literally what the word means :rolleyes:

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
God drat that's some terrible music.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Buck Turgidson posted:

God drat that's some terrible music.

Which music?

In general the soundtrack is very much in line with the crunchy industrial soundtrack from Quake, I quite like it, some parts better than others but it's not bad by any stretch, mick Gordon knows whats up.

I think the single player game looks great, the snapmap too is shaping up to be really interesting, the way you navigate and jump around the world and find secrets and pickups remind me of Metroid Prime, which is always a good thing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Stick Duke Nukem quotes in it

DukeVision - The ability to put Duke Nukem into Retard 4.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Does anybody else feel like the tone and atmosphere of the game is a bit, I don't know... cutesy?

Like even though the demons are all exposed tendons and muscles and tumors, they all have this kind of bouncy, huggable quality to them.

I still think the game is going to be fun but it's a bit weird that they went for more of an approachable tone than a grimdark one.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

GreatGreen posted:

Does anybody else feel like the tone and atmosphere of the game is a bit, I don't know... cutesy?

Like even though the demons are all exposed tendons and muscles and tumors, they all have this kind of bouncy, huggable quality to them.

I still think the game is going to be fun but it's a bit weird that they went for more of an approachable tone than a grimdark one.

It does feel more cartoonish, but I imagine they're doing that thing TF2 and other games do where they're making the designs exaggerated so each enemy has an an easily identifiable silhouette. Besides, the last time Id did "grim" and "dark" we got Doom 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

But will the Soul Cube make the last quarter of the game trivial?