Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

overdesigned posted:

If anything was gonna bankrupt the watch industry it would have been quartz crystals.

Yeah, but a lot of quartz watches are still made in Switzerland.

Switzerland doesn't care about the low-end, but they still liked the premium middle-tier, which is what is going to get disrupted by smartwatches. I guess there will always be AOL employees buying Rolexes with their merger funds though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'm actually not smart enough to figure out how taxes vs. services really works. I moved to Switzerland and my salary was easily twice what it would have been in the US for the same job, but my income tax was incredibly low even taking into account the money that was also deducted for unemployment, disability, and accident insurance (which is all nationalized as far as I can tell). Yet, despite paying almost nothing off my paycheck their university system has a low tuition, their healthcare is far cheaper than the US even though it's basically Obamacare (aged a decade in advance), and the social welfare system seems strong enough that the 5 homeless people I see (because I can actually recognize all 5) all seem to be well stocked with alcohol at all times. I have no idea how it works...I guess no real military? Nazi gold? African despot money?

My Swiss compatriots say that cost of living is absurd in CH so be sure you are accounting for that as well.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Post the decree or GTFO

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Smartwatches aren't that smart. AR is infinitely more useful than the first 3 words of a text message or email.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

overdesigned posted:

If anything was gonna bankrupt the watch industry it would have been quartz crystals.

The Quartz Revolution in the 70s and 80s actually did put a fair number of watch manufacturers out of business and led to massive consolidation under the Swatch Group, which today has total vertical integration of the industry and is rapidly squeezing out smaller indie manufacturers and local watch repair people by refusing to sell movements or parts for any of the brands they own (Omega in particular is completely locked down now.)

Source: I'm a loving watch nerd

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

potee posted:

Source: I'm a loving watch nerd

BWM thread: go on...

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I work at a plasma center, and we have a center physician who oversees our medical staff. He's a pretty cool guy and I get along with him pretty well. He's the center physician for another plasma center which belongs to another company, and he was telling me about an employee that used to work there as either an assistant manager or QA (I forget which). This guy is in his mid 30's, and one day he decided to quit his job (this center is in a pretty run down town with a fairly depressed economy), cash out his entire 401k and pay all the penalties, and become a day trader. About a month later the guy had lost all his money, moved in with his parents and was working as a cashier at Menards.

Yikes.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Moneyball posted:

BWM thread: go on...

GWM: The Casio F91w, a bulletproof multifunction watch for around $9

BWM: Getting extraordinary renditioned to Guantanamo

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My Swiss compatriots say that cost of living is absurd in CH so be sure you are accounting for that as well.

Oh absolutely. Geneva and Zuerich are both expensive as poo poo when it comes to housing, and the whole country has prices for goods that are easily 3x the price for the same thing in a neighboring EU country (to which Switzerland does not belong). I've also compared the Swiss to the Ferengi since the entire system here consists of people nickle and diming you for the smallest service. HOWEVER, the salaries for most jobs more than make up for the prices for most standard goods, and you don't need to live in Geneva or Zuerich to still make money working there. Also you just take a train 30 minutes up to Germany and buy bulk meat in Euros to take home with you and save a lot of money that way. If you are a single student trying to work internships or get a Masters/Phd, yeah it can suck, but you also live with like 4 roommates and so it sucks a little less. If you are a professional though the salaries are more than enough to accommodate the cost of living.

Pig slut lisa's reply is quite interesting. The roads here are thin as hell, and the entire city planning consists of ways to "concentrate" people. Zuerich recently approved a new tram system to the neighboring city of Dietikon, because they are concerned that people were building houses too far away from the city center (in Dietikon) and they wanted to create an incentive to live right on top of the train station.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 28, 2016

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

More reddit BWM:

/r/personalfinance posted:

I recently moved ~$100k from a Vanguard rollover IRA to my employer's John Hancock 401k to be able to contribute to a Roth IRA using the backdoor method. I'm now debating how best to invest the rollover funds while they sit in a Stable Value fund at JH.

I recently rebalanced my Vanguard Roth IRA ($44k) into the three-fund portfolio using admiral shares for each fund. As a result, I have a moderately diversified portfolio that requires little to no maintenance and has a combined expense ratio of 0.23%. I'm no investing expert but I'm largely happy with that setup.
When it comes to JH, the lowest expense ratio across the board is 1.63%, and it can go up to 2.55% (full list of funds here). I know ER is only one variable to consider out of many, but it's frustrating to know how much more money will be eaten up by fees just by having it at JH.

Questions
* Did I make a mistake rolling the funds over? Pretending for a second that fund performance is equal between Vanguard and JH, I went from paying 0.08% to 2.09% in fees (I took the median between 1.63 and 2.55). If my math is correct, assuming ER is charged once a year, and against a balance of $100k, that would be $80/year at Vanguard and $2,090 at JH.
* To minimize fees, should I be seeking to distribute the money across the smallest number of funds while still staying reasonably diversified? A three-fund portfolio for $100k doesn't seem optimal, but if more funds = more fees, that's the tradeoff.

Thanks in advance.

Dude loving moved over 100k of his money from Vanguard to his employer's ultra-lovely 401k plan with ERs over 2%. He'll be paying over $2000/yr in fees on likely worse-performing funds than Vanguard to backdoor a measly $5500/yr into a Roth IRA. His intent isn't totally off base, but with a 401k that lovely there's no way the long-term math works out.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 29, 2016

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
yeah, that sucks, but relative to the broad experience of this thread anyone with $100k to their name can only possibly be so BWM

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

yeah, that sucks, but relative to the broad experience of this thread anyone with $100k to their name can only possibly be so BWM

Good point, maybe that story actually belongs as a cautionary tale in the retirement thread.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

DizzyBum posted:

But man oh man I wish we had Google Fiber nearby. If they start laying cable nearby, I'm dropping AT&T like a bad habit.

They're not doing this anymore, but I got (basic) seven years free service after paying the $300 installation fee, which was a pretty good deal.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Guinness posted:

Good point, maybe that story actually belongs as a cautionary tale in the retirement thread.

It's a great idea, small employers have the dumbest loving plans and do the dumbest poo poo with them. My old gig had some awful poo poo where they reallocated when they switched between providers, and put everything in 1.1% ER fixed income funds.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
As an IT contractor the only benefit I get is a lovely 401k with zero matching.

I'm afraid to even look at the expenses, but it's the only pre-tax option I've got. The moment I leave and can't contribute, it's getting rolled into an actual grown-up IRA.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Krispy Kareem posted:

As an IT contractor the only benefit I get is a lovely 401k with zero matching.

I'm afraid to even look at the expenses, but it's the only pre-tax option I've got. The moment I leave and can't contribute, it's getting rolled into an actual grown-up IRA.

I' min a similar situation. I just looked up what the lowest ERs were and threw it in there.

The one thing is though this contractor job is paying me enough to max my 401k, HSA, and put aside enough money for other things so I have no complaints, even if the ERs are higher than they have any right to be.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
So you're an IT contractor but still an employee with a W2? I don't think I get the terminology here.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I'm surprised that a contractor can participate in the 401k, since that would scream "deemed employee" to me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

potatoducks posted:

So you're an IT contractor but still an employee with a W2? I don't think I get the terminology here.

My employer is a small staffing company, but I go to work everyday in a big technology company.

The employer thing is just a formality for payroll and tax purposes.. I never talk to anyone there and when my contract expires they won't assign me to another position.

It's an odd situation because I was hired by the big technology company and was then introduced to the staffing agency that would handle all my payroll.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 29, 2016

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That's a fairly common situation in technology. To the customer company you are a "contractor" on their books, but you are W2 employee of a staffing company with salary, benefits, etc.

Those staffing companies can range from shell companies that are just a formality/convenience of accounting, to actual real full-service companies that do subcontracting, consulting, bizdev, and even in-house product development as well. They of course also span the spectrum of "poo poo" to "fantastic".

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Exactly what Guinness said. I'm considered a "consultant" for my parent company but the customer company labels me and anyone else who might work for a consulting company as a contractor.

I have the option of staying at my current customer company or moving to another client if I choose to do so. They can also choose to not bring me back. I'm still paid during my time "on the bench" but I usually get assigned right away to another customer if that's the case.

Think of ThoughtWorks, which is one of these consulting companies which sends out "thought workers" to clients.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 29, 2016

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mantle posted:

Anyone have a link to the story about the kid having terminal cancer or something and then the parents fraudulently took out loans in his name, hoping the debt would die with him but OOPS he beat cancer and now is $80k in debt?

Was the child an adult or something? Otherwise, how were they getting loans under the kid?

Blinkman987 posted:

Well, if you're a self-admitted child rapist, what is a blackmailer really going to hold against you?

An orphan? :pedo:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Was the child an adult or something? Otherwise, how were they getting loans under the kid?

An orphan? :pedo:

Yes, it was an adult child. Quite sad, actually.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I hate this poo poo

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

quote:

70% of wealthy families lose their wealth by the second generation, and a stunning 90% by the third, according to the Williams Group wealth consultancy.

This article is bad but that is an interesting statistic.

Edit: apparently this is old news, there are plenty of bad articles about it and a pretty good reddit thread, where I learned that Anderson Cooper is a Vanderbilt, and there is no Vanderbilt fortune left (his mother was successful in her own right, but he won't be inheriting anything).

Switchback fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 30, 2016

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Losing wealth generation by generation isn't bad on a social level because the opposite of that is aristocracy. Losing wealth is the flip side of social mobility.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I, too, wish everyone else was poor.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I just wish the rich were made poor. It's a subtle but important distinction.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

overdesigned posted:

I just wish the rich were made poor. It's a subtle but important distinction.

Why?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Greater wealth has been shown to have an inverse correlation with ability to feel empathy.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Greater wealth has been shown to have an inverse correlation with ability to feel empathy.

Bit of a chicken and egg situation there, from what I've seen of the corporate world.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Let's be honest.

Resentment and envy.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
From the Team Fortress 2 thread:

Ddraig posted:

He's got an unusual burning flames team captain.

That's worth about $20,000. TWENTY THOUSAND.

Someone should put him on suicide watch because holy poo poo.

Some dude cheated with an aimbot, got caught, and lost a hat worth around $20,000 (http://backpack.tf/stats/Unusual/Team%20Captain/Tradable/Craftable/13 ). Along with 3 other hats worth $250 each.

He also went on a long rant justifying it here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/JCapps/ if anyone is interested (I couldn't finish it).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So I should assume that the person wishing financial harm on unmet others is rich, perhaps.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

So I should assume that the person wishing financial harm on unmet others is rich, perhaps.

Well it was mostly a joke post but personally I'd be fine with leaving rich people enough left so that them and their children never have to work a day in their lives again anyway so it's hardly "harming" them in any serious way other than not being able to afford an ultrayacht and instead sticking to a regular yacht. Though it would be very satisfying to dump the Koch brothers in an Atlanta slum and see how well they do tbh.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Knyteguy posted:

From the Team Fortress 2 thread:

Some dude cheated with an aimbot, got caught, and lost a hat worth around $20,000 (http://backpack.tf/stats/Unusual/Team%20Captain/Tradable/Craftable/13 ). Along with 3 other hats worth $250 each.

He also went on a long rant justifying it here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/JCapps/ if anyone is interested (I couldn't finish it).

Dude has over 4400 hours on a video game.

I'm not sure how people can spend that much time on a game from 2007, and then giving a poo poo about rare items.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TLG James posted:

Dude has over 4400 hours on a video game.

I'm not sure how people can spend that much time on a game from 2007, and then giving a poo poo about rare items.

tbf one of the main ways you get hats is random drops so the way everyone "farms" them is to just leave the game running 24/7 while they're off doing other poo poo

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

NancyPants posted:

I hate this poo poo
Hahaha this is awesome. These "businesses" have to donate the crap they're trying to sell, and this guy gets a free showbag to attract people.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 3, 2016

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

I've had the opposite experience. Empathetic and generous when i was rich, now a callous, resentful monster after becoming (first-world) poor due to being BWM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Suspicious Lump posted:

Hahaha this is awesome. These "businesses" have to donate the crap their trying to sell, and this guy gets a free showbag to attract people.

It's a Facebook group for military members and their spouses, so these welcome bags are more like 'welcome to the area, here's what's around here' (I assume, I wouldn't know). But she later clarified that the page isn't to be used for advertising so I'm sure someone ripped her rear end over it.

Facebook is lousy with MLM bullshit and spouses groups no less so.

• Locked thread