Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Holy poo poo, I'm watching the rest of the video. There's at the very least 10-15k in that rig.

He has a dedicated stereo unit for iracing voice chat, the spotter, the beeps for shifting, ventrilo, teamspeak, and ianalyze. Not one unit for all of those things together, a separate one for each of those things. This guy is more money than sense personified.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm watching the rest of the video. There's at the very least 10-15k in that rig.

He has a dedicated stereo unit for iracing voice chat, the spotter, the beeps for shifting, ventrilo, teamspeak, and ianalyze. Not one unit for all of those things together, a separate one for each of those things. This guy is more money than sense personified.

His wheel was ~$1700 before buying an actual NASCAR wheel then having it customized.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I just loaded up R3E for the first time in ages since people kept saying good stuff about the news cars and FFB. Bought the Formula Junior and loaded up Mid Ohio. Spent about 5 laps tuning the FFB a tiny bit from their default setup and then just drove laps for over an hour. This feels way better than before to me. The old cars also seem improved but still have some of that boaty feeling left, which I guess means they're getting benefits from the FFB but still need physics updates?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Also, reminder:

GhostDog posted:

Next race:

Server Info: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761771

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I think it's the GT3, prototype and GTO cars that got the new physics. Everything else (DTM, WTCC, open wheelers etc) is on tweaked old physics. Hopefully they get around to changing those at some point.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yeah, the GT3 cars in particular are great in RRE now. And that audio...

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

That was a fun combo, but I still haven't learned how to fill up my tank. One day I will finish a goonrace. :negative:

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Jehde posted:

That was a fun combo, but I still haven't learned how to fill up my tank. One day I will finish a goonrace. :negative:

Didn't you beat me? Thought I finished 6/6.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It said I finished 2 laps behind, so I kept going but everyone left the server before I could finish. At the end it said I was 4th, but I was the only name on the scoreboard. :v:

One day I will actually finish with the pack. Atleast I didn't crash into anyone this time... I think.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I had lots of interesting and insightful things to say but apparently was muted all race

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blame your crew for not telling you to pit on the board when you drove by so they could swap out your radio.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So apparently Project cars does not support the Vive. I thought it did but apparently it doesn't as it only lets me play in theater mode. Live For Speed is the only current racing sim that works with the Vive.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Server is set to hotlapping again: No grip (GT40, Miura, Cobra) at Longford 1967 v1.0
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761771

What should we do next sunday? I was thinking about throwing in another GT3 race, but I don't know if people get their GT fill from iRacing. Otherwise I'd go for a short track (maybe Mills Metro Short) and smaller car again.

Edit: Would people be interested in doing a proper series? Like half a dozen races of old DTM, with points and everything? Or should we keep it to one-off events?

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 25, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

So apparently Project cars does not support the Vive. I thought it did but apparently it doesn't as it only lets me play in theater mode. Live For Speed is the only current racing sim that works with the Vive.

Yeah, PCars signed on with Oculus so all their resources went into Oculus support. Some people are starting to hack Vive support into Oculus games though. Aren't format wars fun?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Is there any reason to add S. Loeb Rally Evo to the OP? I keep reading here and there that technical issues aside the actual driving might be good?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I wasn't impressed with the driving when I tried the demo. I don't know anyone who liked it over Dirt Rally.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hey gang, I've been doing other poo poo but I have some news. After going to Thailand and driving some rental karts they had I decided I really wanted to do this so I've come back to Melbourne (Australia) and spent last Sunday at the Victorian Kart Club. I've met some people and I'm jumping in, buying a 125 Rotax watercooled cart and the West Gate Bridge track will be my home.

it's going to be about 10k total for my own kart and other required stuff. It looked like a ridiculous amount of fun when I was there.

So I guess I'd say rather than build that rig on the previous page, I think I'm going to much prefer having a good quality wheel and pedals, a decent PC for all sorts of gaming and a single widescreen monitor (Rift when it comes).. then spend the rest on the real thing :)

What was the name of that coming soon kart sim we talked about previously?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
kartkraft, and if you havent looked at kart racing pro or whatever yet you should.

buy a rib protector if you havent yet :V

also just curious, is there any active lo206 classes at that track?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

So jealous. I'd build a cart if we had any tracks even remotely near.

I'll probably just buy motion rig poo poo and secretly cry.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I use to have a track about 30 min away but once I could afford $75 a week to rent and race it was closed :( :(

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

There's one kart track in Vegas, and from what I understand it's a bumpy mess in dire need of a repave.

Buddha.
Sep 24, 2007

"Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
College Slice
I raced shifter karts and Rotax classes in Texas and Oklahoma. It is expensive but stupidly fun. The grip and agility of a properly tuned kart is seriously impressive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a good kart track about an hour and a half from me, but I never saw the appeal of it. I mean it's certainly a heap of fun, but for that kind of buy-in, why not just get a full size car and do SCCA or one of the budget racing series?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I wrote up a reply before and lost it, stupid work computer.

OhsH posted:

kartkraft, and if you havent looked at kart racing pro or whatever yet you should.
buy a rib protector if you havent yet :V
also just curious, is there any active lo206 classes at that track?

Ah yeah, KartKraft. Does anyone have Kart Racing Pro? Is it good? I don't mind buying another game, I bought F12014 last night and I think I've driven it for about 2 hours and I've already got my 10 bucks worth.

Yep, rib protector will be bought. The person that told me to do that was a tiny woman called Barbara that I met at the club. My girlfriend jumped into her kart to sit in it and she was saying how you'll break ribs, particularly when you're small. Those seats don't have any padding! It's the 'wings' or edges of the bucket that cuts into your chest with impacts or even just pulling G for prolonged periods, I'm guessing.

That's Barbara's kart. That's a Rotax TaG 125, exactly what I will own. For those who don't know, TaG means Touch and Go.. so it's not a bump or push start. It's a button or key start and has a clutch just like a road car. No gears, but it's more sophisticated than the Yamaha 100cc karts. It's also water cooled as opposed to air cooled (rather than fins sticking out of the block). As for the lo206 it doesn't look like we do the Briggs and Stratton here in Australia. It's 200cc which sounds good but I saw engine prices and they seem very cheap, so I don't know if we're talking about the same kind of thing. I'm looking at about 3-4k for a new engine and about 2-3k for a second hand chassis and running gear. About 6k you can have a second hand kart and for more like 8-9k you can have a new one. These are race karts to current spec, so you can do all this cheaper than what I'm saying. I'm just 35 years old and work a good job and don't ride my bike much anymore and finally have the means and time to sink into something I really want to do.

You can take a look at the club website and they list the classes they do, but I don't see the lo206 anywhere.

tater_salad posted:

I use to have a track about 30 min away but once I could afford $75 a week to rent and race it was closed :( :(

It's looking like $220 a year for your Karting Australia license and then about $250 a year for the club membership. With club membership you get your own keycard and that track is open during daylight hours every day of the week. You can let yourself in at anytime and practice with no additional charges. Sounds very reasonable to me! On weekends and such there will be other members and you can get some head to head experience, while if you take a day off work and rock up on a Wednesday morning you'll probably have the track almost to yourself. Of course then you gotta pay for your kart, apparel, kart trailer and consumables (tires, fuel, etc) but hey.. it's motorsport after all.

Buddha. posted:

I raced shifter karts and Rotax classes in Texas and Oklahoma. It is expensive but stupidly fun. The grip and agility of a properly tuned kart is seriously impressive.

Really, wow. There was an 'open' class on the club day where anything went. There were twins (two engines in the one kart, like two Rotax 125s rigged up to throttle together and both put their power to the one drivetrain) and shifters. The shifters (everyone knows these from Project Cars now!) were nuts, 7 gears and going just so drat fast. Looked like crazy fun pulling on those gears, the guy driving it was backing it into corners too. People had all sorts of stuff in there, while the TaG 125 classes seemed to be where the serious competition was. But that's just this club, I think there is an National Shifter Kart Championship.

xzzy posted:

There's a good kart track about an hour and a half from me, but I never saw the appeal of it. I mean it's certainly a heap of fun, but for that kind of buy-in, why not just get a full size car and do SCCA or one of the budget racing series?

A few things. So the car you're buying for 10k and going racing in will be a piece of poo poo. You can't afford anything modern for that kind of money and particularly if you spend money on the go fast bits (engine, suspension, tires) you're certainly not going to have any left for rust free body work or anything else. Just the pricing of everything is mini-sized in karts.. I'm talking a race ready 'crate' style engine for 4k.. you want to buy a crate race engine for your full size race car and your 10k budget might get you just that. Then the complexity. Your full size car has suspension, something that's complicated and expensive and when you crunch it (which you will) it will either cost you a lot to put it back together assuming you can, or if you're paying someone to wrench on your racecar then you're not budget racing in the first place. Assuming I don't actually fold the chassis, having a big accident in the kart means replacing bits here and there which all bolt on and off in a way a full sized car doesn't.

It's about the reality of racing. You can have a top machine and be restricted only by your ability in karting, for a very reasonable price as a solo competitor. It seems like you need a team with a full sized car, not just financially but also to wrench on it. You need a pit or a lift to get under it, etc, while the kart I put on a dinky little trolley in my garage.

Then there is the performance. If you go to a club day and see real race karts go around (not rental karts) you'll see the pace, then to drive they don't handle like domestic family cars. They have a directness and feeling that is.. well it's like a kart and after you've railed through a fast corner a few times it's like nothing else. Sure you can go fast in a V8 Commodore but in the corners it's still a fat pig and you'll be babying it's characteristics.. while the kart will simply take everything you can throw at it. You just don't believe how fast this thing can take the corner, you need to just work up to it. The head to head racing is very tight, very competitive with people climbing all over each other.. while in full sized cars you've gotta take a bit easier because of the risk involved with tons of steel going in every direction.

Watching the 'cadets' (about 8 years old) racing, all very polite with no contact but putting in brutal lap times and fighting like dogs.. was amazing. You can see why they say 'it all starts with karts' because a kid that's done that for 5 years before they are 15 would have a sense of car control and reflexes that you could never catch up to.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 29, 2016

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I am absurdly lucky with my local (2 hour away) track that i am arrive and driving at in the lo206 class, in that there are goddamn 30-40 other karts usually.

The main draw of lo206 being its cheap as hell 4-stroke racing with a sealed engine, so you dont have to worry about doin engine tuning poo poo to be competitve, either way, if they dont do it they dont do it.

I'm hoping to pick up a used kart and start doin my own thing next year, if all goes decently well.

EIther drat way, buy a gooooood rib protector because woooo!!

W/R/T kart racing pro, i've had a guy at the track tell me he tried it and it wasn't half bad, and he was a solid mid pack driver, but we drive 4 strokes so vOV

OhsH fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 29, 2016

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ah ok, yeah I'm talking about 2 strokes and the Rotax engine comes with 4 or 5 jets for the carbie. You use an app on your phone that tells you the temp and air pressure which jet to use, which you put in the kart just before you go out.

I shall protect and cherish my precious ribs.

As for the rest of the thread, rather than spending a thousand bucks on that seat that Michael Schumacher may have farted in or a second video card for your sim racing rig.. have a look into karting. You might be closer to it than you think.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Tony Montana posted:

I shall protect and cherish my precious ribs.

As for the rest of the thread, rather than spending a thousand bucks on that seat that Michael Schumacher may have farted in or a second video card for your sim racing rig.. have a look into karting. You might be closer to it than you think.

I whole heartedly agree, advice to any body else would be, go to a local track on race day, see what it looks like, see what engines and chassis are popular, see if the track does arrive and drives for any of the classes they race, hell, see if some team has an arrive and drive kart for rent.

But for gods sake get a seat that fits, and get a rib veat, lol.

Oh, also, if you are mechanically retarded like me, look into asking somebody who is obviously at the track as a mechanic and ask if they sell their services, at the worst, you can ask them a bunch of questions, theyre nice enough around me, so they must be near you, too.

OhsH fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 29, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tony Montana posted:

A few things. So the car you're buying for 10k and going racing in will be a piece of poo poo. You can't afford anything modern for that kind of money and particularly if you spend money on the go fast bits (engine, suspension, tires) you're certainly not going to have any left for rust free body work or anything else.

With the lemons and chumpcar stuff, that's precisely the point. It's to get people to go race on the smallest possible budget. Scoop up a beater somewhere, spend money on safety equipment, then fling it around a track for a day.

I like that approach a lot more than the other options out there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'll say I'd much rather race in a seat that's somewhat padded, but that might just be my back problems. I'm pretty sure my spine would be dust after 10 minutes in a 125cc kart.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've competed in endurance kart racing in a 3 man team, and posted quickest lap of the month at the local indoor polished concrete track.

You don't need to be strong, but holy hell does some conditioning go a long way. Lat pulldowns or chin-ups and abdominal crunches as well as a tricep workout will probably help your lap times towards the end of the race more than practice or car setup.

Also some "core" style twisty motion workouts. I hate the term core workouts but I was in very good shape doing delivery work 10 hours a day plus downhill mtn bike several times a week and after those endurance races I could feel every muscle in my sides that weren't used in my other activities.

Hell I bet you racketball would get you prepped mentally and physically for racing.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Is there a good guide on adjusting suspension and wheel settings to a track? That is toe and camber per track to get the best performance. Assetto corsa gives a tiny blurb as what those settings do but I am not sure on when to adjust them.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 30, 2016

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Reminder:

Assetto Corsa:
    Sunday 05/01, 20:00 GMT
    Peugeot 504 TN at Magione
    Qualifying: 19:30
    Race: 20:15, 12 laps (ca. 20 mins)

Switching to a combined qualifying/practice session because that's a good idea I hadn't thought of myself.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Is there a good guide on adjusting suspension and wheel settings to a track? That is toe and camber per track to get the best performance. Assetto corsa gives a tiny blurb as what those settings do but I am not sure on when to adjust them.

It's even worse about explaining how to do any adjustments. They really could do with a bit of a UI update.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
My car broke down, I'll not be able to get home in time to start the AC server. IceAge, in case your account still works you can start it at 19:30, the files are already all there. Otherwise the race is cancelled.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I'll try, although I dunno how tight for time we'e be before gooncar because of the shorter qualifying sessions and the odd reverse grid thing Vando's trying. I'll try and put it up anyway

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I turned in what I assume was a sick as quali lap in the server so I declare myself the winner

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
Saw this on Reddit, thought you all might be interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HIUuvdZP8A

Seems fairly promising!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Would be cool if anyone at all used Sim Racing System.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is it free? Who pays for the servers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Is it free? Who pays for the servers?

Looks to be ad supported on the right hand side.