Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Now that my quad is assembled and i manage to control it with the transmitter, what else is there to do? (except actually flying it)

I see people talk about tuning and i have seen expressions such as "expo" and "pid". Is this stuff i need to do to get an interesting experience flying a quad as a total beginner or is this for intermediate pilots?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Now that my quad is assembled and i manage to control it with the transmitter, what else is there to do? (except actually flying it)

I see people talk about tuning and i have seen expressions such as "expo" and "pid". Is this stuff i need to do to get an interesting experience flying a quad as a total beginner or is this for intermediate pilots?

If it flys ok, and doesn't wobble when you punch the throttle then just go out and fly. You can worry about these things later.

PID = numbers used to tune the algorithm that the flight controller uses to make the quad do what you're telling it to do.
Expo = changes the response to stick inputs so that the they are less sensitive in the middle of the input sticks, and more sensitive on the outer limits of the sticks. Can be used to make it less twitchy when you're making small movements with the sticks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Slash posted:

If it flys ok, and doesn't wobble when you punch the throttle then just go out and fly. You can worry about these things later.

PID = numbers used to tune the algorithm that the flight controller uses to make the quad do what you're telling it to do.
Expo = changes the response to stick inputs so that the they are less sensitive in the middle of the input sticks, and more sensitive on the outer limits of the sticks. Can be used to make it less twitchy when you're making small movements with the sticks.

Expo is the RC term for flight control curves, if you're familiar with flight sims at all.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Flight stabilization in a quad is done using PID controllers, whose terms need to be tuned if you need precise control. If you fly autolevel, default settings will make it fly well enough. If you plan to fly rate mode, they definitely need tuning, so that the thing initiates and stops rotations quickly (P), precise and without wobbling (D), as well have it maintain attitude over time (I). The OpenPilot derivates of firmwares and GCS have autotuning modes, that usually spit out pretty decent terms for the PID controllers.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you plan to fly rate mode, they definitely need tuning, so that the thing initiates and stops rotations quickly (P), precise and without wobbling (D), as well have it maintain attitude over time (I).

And this is why I suck at rate mode on anything but the nanoQX.

Tuning time..

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, first time I ever dabbled in rate, I stuck to some tweaked defaults and it flew like rear end. Plenty of issues with my FPV gear and then winter had me avoid it for a long while. I only gave it a shot recently again, but used dRonin's autotune instead of fiddling around in the backyard, and the difference was day and night. If your firmware of choice doesn't have autotune, look up tuning guides on Youtube. It essentially involves jerking your quad around its axes (and later have it fly distances at an angle) and try to attain a certain behavior. If you have a bunch of dials on your remote, you can usually set up live tuning of the PID terms. Both *flight and OpenPilot derivates support modes like this.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I've yet to actually fly my big quad fpv (just need to apply some liquid electrical tape and shrink strap my rx antennas before the first hover), and I feel like you need to be able to fly well to tune. For a novice it's a little confusing if you should just start right off the bat with stock values and learn how to fly fpv or fiddle with tuning immediately

On a side note , I got my new escs and motors installed last night and everything seems squared away. This diatone plug and play feels like it's far from that. Others are complaining about twitching escs with oneshot too.. And the lack of replacement parts. In hindsight I should have bought a frame with detachable arms and common parts (non integrated pdb for example) for my first quad, I got ahead of myself. Made a bunch of noob mistakes and I now see why people can get discouraged and frustrated. I've learned a ton loving this thing up and trying to repair it though, I'm not scared to build my own now when I break this one.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 28, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Google Butt posted:

I've yet to actually fly my big quad fpv (just need to apply some liquid electrical tape and shrink strap my rx antennas before the first hover), and I feel like you need to be able to fly well to tune. For a novice it's a little confusing if you should just start right off the bat with stock values and learn how to fly fpv or fiddle with tuning immediately
The stock PIDs are usually a little anemic, resulting in a floaty feel, i.e. quad response feels sluggish. For autolevel, this doesn't matter that much, it'll be flyable. You can get a feel for FPV in that mode and have some initial fun. Sluggish response in rate mode asks for trouble. After doing some FPV, it'd be best to spend half an hour tuning the PIDs and then get used to rate, which is more fun.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Combat Pretzel posted:

The stock PIDs are usually a little anemic, resulting in a floaty feel, i.e. quad response feels sluggish. For autolevel, this doesn't matter that much, it'll be flyable. You can get a feel for FPV in that mode and have some initial fun. Sluggish response in rate mode asks for trouble. After doing some FPV, it'd be best to spend half an hour tuning the PIDs and then get used to rate, which is more fun.

I'm planning on jumping straight into rather mode with an angle mode oh poo poo button. I've been flying my modified nano fpv in rate a bunch and I'm hooked. I've read betaflight feels okay stock, but I'm going to order that otg cable for my tablet just in case.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 28, 2016

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Google Butt posted:

On a side note , I got my new escs and motors installed last night and everything seems squared away. This diatone plug and play feels like it's far from that. Others are complaining about twitching escs with oneshot too.. And the lack of replacement parts. In hindsight I should have bought a frame with detachable arms and common parts (non integrated pdb for example) for my first quad, I got ahead of myself. Made a bunch of noob mistakes and I now see why people can get discouraged and frustrated. I've learned a ton loving this thing up and trying to repair it though, I'm not scared to build my own now when I break this one.

You won't break that frame, and detachable arms break far easier because of the stress points. Integrated PDBs are pretty awesome now. The twitchy ESC thing is usually bheli tuning, esc calibration, and setting the throttle minmax settings. Ive got two Tyrants and ill probably never go back to the old way.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Philthy posted:

You won't break that frame, and detachable arms break far easier because of the stress points. Integrated PDBs are pretty awesome now. The twitchy ESC thing is usually bheli tuning, esc calibration, and setting the throttle minmax settings. Ive got two Tyrants and ill probably never go back to the old way.

Yeah I actually reduced the min command and that helped, but I burned out one so I replaced them all, couldn't find any real detail on them to find a matching replacement. That's good to hear though!

Diatone has rad customer service though, one of the HK guys has been working with me and they're even sending me some spare escs and a motor.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 28, 2016

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Does anyone actually bother registering their quadcopter, or call every helipad within 5 miles before flying?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
yes, no. unless its a major airport thats going to affect geofencing, then i dont even think about it

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

BgRdMchne posted:

Does anyone actually bother registering their quadcopter, or call every helipad within 5 miles before flying?

lol no. at least not for something that i only fly at parks and below the tree line.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Nerobro posted:

And this is why I suck at rate mode on anything but the nanoQX.

Tuning time..

Do you have a way to switch to rate mode in the nanoQX from a full size spectrum Tx? Just wondering before I dig up the little bitty Tx that came with the nano to try it there.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

patentmagus posted:

Do you have a way to switch to rate mode in the nanoQX from a full size spectrum Tx? Just wondering before I dig up the little bitty Tx that came with the nano to try it there.

http://paulnurkkala.com/blade-nanoqx-upgrades/ if you have a taranis

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.

patentmagus posted:

For the inductrix, using a DX6 I flip switch D down then back up, I'm guessing it's the same for the nanoQX.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

On my DX8 it's the flap switch.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit
Quick question, I'm building a quad for a friend who is working on their CS project. They're using an ESC's BEC to power the APM. I've always used a dedicated BEC and never actually tried powering it off the ESC. Right now, I have the ESC on output 1 as the power, I pulled the power pins on the other three PWM cables. Does it matter which output I use to power it and should the jumper be in or out?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

BgRdMchne posted:

Registered it. But unless I'm near a major airport, I wont call. If we had to call every helipad/private/small public/emergency landing field/marina to fly for five minutes, it would be absolutely insane and I refuse to believe that was their intent to have 10 year olds call to fly toys. Commercial stuff where you're actively filming for a movie or a commercial or something? Sure. They've been having to do that since forever and their takes can be multiple days of constant flying and all the other insurance requirements making them do it anyways.

BedBuglet posted:

Quick question, I'm building a quad for a friend who is working on their CS project. They're using an ESC's BEC to power the APM. I've always used a dedicated BEC and never actually tried powering it off the ESC. Right now, I have the ESC on output 1 as the power, I pulled the power pins on the other three PWM cables. Does it matter which output I use to power it and should the jumper be in or out?

Nope, shouldn't matter which one you use. You can have them all connected and it should be fine as well Edit: if they're linear BECs.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 29, 2016

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
On the Naze32 anyway, those pins for 5v are actually connected. You can use the spare ones to plug in like a lap timing transponder, and it will get its power from the connected ESC's BEC.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

BedBuglet posted:

If it has a power monitoring module use that to power the APM.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit

helno posted:

If it has a power monitoring module use that to power the APM.

I normally do with my drones but this isn't mine. They're doing a quick project involving controlling the drone over leap motion. They had me come in and do the build/tell them the parts they needed. They already had LBECs in their ESCs so there was no reason/time for them to buy a PM module. I'd just never used an ESC for power and the APM can be finicky with power so I wanted to make sure I didn't accidentally fry a bunch of college student's final project.

Philthy posted:

Nope, shouldn't matter which one you use. You can have them all connected and it should be fine as well Edit: if they're linear BECs.

As I recall, there are possible serious issues with doing that. Not sure but I seem to remember that the ESC with the highest voltage (since they aren't exactly 5 v) will end up providing power but the ESC's will end up fighting over which one actually provides power as they heat up and you can end up with a brown out. That said, I'm fairly sure that's mostly just an issue with low quality BECs.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Got the Tyrant hovering in the garage :) Thanks again for the help everyone.

I've got 2 Tattu 1800's and 3 1300 graphenes ready to go for the maiden tomorrow.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I need to cool my poo poo!

:v:

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

BedBuglet posted:

I normally do with my drones but this isn't mine. They're doing a quick project involving controlling the drone over leap motion. They had me come in and do the build/tell them the parts they needed. They already had LBECs in their ESCs so there was no reason/time for them to buy a PM module. I'd just never used an ESC for power and the APM can be finicky with power so I wanted to make sure I didn't accidentally fry a bunch of college student's final project.

I've powered many an APM off an ESC. What you are doing will work fine. You can use any of the ESCs for power.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Well, the first day out was a success, flew 10 batteries in acro + airmode, split-s's everywhere, flips etc.. even a little sim time pays off apparently. Only 1 bad crash, I got cocky and flew into this tight corridor at the local school and bounced off the wall onto concrete pretty good. Props are little dinged up but everything else looks good, which is slightly comforting because it seemed like a hard hit. After my first 5 batteries on stock pids I bumped up the roll/pitch/yaw rates .1 and it felt okay, thinking about trying the dRonin autotune tomorrow.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

BgRdMchne posted:

I registered and I only contact non-private airports with manned control towers as listed on airmap.io, I don't bother with any private strip, helipad, or an airport without a manned tower though I still keep my distance from those places (at least a mile). When I started I tried collecting phone numbers and contact information for the numerous private grass strips, helipads, and other bullshit around me but I gave up on that and flying is a lot less stressful now only dealing with towers I can contact prior to flight.

At the very least I figure if towers get inundated with useless RC aircraft notifications it will help us toward getting that regulation removed or altered. For starters they should go back to the 3 mile radius, and no notification unless flying over 400 feet within those 3 miles.

The B4UFLY app was particularly awful in terms of what they consider a prohibited area and I don't think that was accidental. But I don't think when they came up with these regulations they were considering the limitations of most toy based quadcopters with extremely limited range and battery life.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 30, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The outer most wire on the balance plug (opposite from the ground one) is pretty much connected to the main power lead, right?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Combat Pretzel posted:

The outer most wire on the balance plug (opposite from the ground one) is pretty much connected to the main power lead, right?

Yeah. The ground wire and opposite wires of the balance plug are connected to positive and negative of the battery terminals.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Cool, thanks. It's to hook up a voltage divider to feed into the FC, to get battery voltage to show in the OSD. Didn't want to take apart the quad to solder it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What are the thoughts of eachine 250 quads?

Looking at getting one of these ARF kits
http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=EACF250ARF

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think Bruce has a review or two of the eachine quads, check out his YouTube channel rcmodelreviews. If I remember correctly, the newer releases are far better than the original

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I saw a Walkera Runner 250 at Winners the other day for 299.99

Winners is a canadian clothing store, I think theyre called Marshalls in the US

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Now that I have battery voltage in my OSD, I'm pretty disappointed by these Multistar batteries. They sag like a motherfucker under medium load. Take-off and instant hover, they go from 12.4V to 10.8V. I mean, I was aware they'd do that, but didn't expect it to be that bad.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
At this point, I think I'd only ever bother with graphene and maybe the turnigy nanotech for cheap multicopter batteries from
Hking. I have some zippy for the tricopter that im not fully disappointed with, and some multistar high capacity stuff because what's the alternative? (The alternative is the low c graphene batteries now)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What else are some decent but light batteries?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have some rmrc orange series I like; popular high c batteries include bonka, glacier, rebel, dinogy, tattu. most of the c ratings on these are inflated however.

nanotech are ok but they dont have the lifespan of others I've been told

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001
http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_121&product_id=347

I use these all the time. I've never had a voltage drop with these, I usually fly around 15-20 amps with up to 80 amp bursts according to my osd.