Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dancer's grab is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Just finished my second playthrough and got "The End of Fire" ending. :)

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
This is beautiful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf3Wj_d-aOE

Funky Valentine posted:

Staying just under her left buttcheek helps, or roll through it. You can tell when it's coming by the wiggle before.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

lite_sleepr posted:

lol I started a new character because slashing and poking sucks.

I'm going with strong arm strike weapons like clubs and axes.

Did they patch out the tree ramp glitch at firelink? It's hella hard right now.

Nah I just did it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Dancers whole thing is being hard to read. If shes doing some freaky contortion just gtfo because shes probably either going to grab you or pivot 180 degrees and noodle her sword directly into your body from an inconceivable angle.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

net cafe scandal posted:

Dancers whole thing is being hard to read. If shes doing some freaky contortion just gtfo because shes probably either going to grab you or pivot 180 degrees and noodle her sword directly into your body from an inconceivable angle.

Don't forget getting stuck behind the pillars.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
is 1.06 not out on PC?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Hamburger Test posted:

Nah I just did it.

Yea me too.

I see that my game app version is 1.4, but regulation is 1.6. Why haven't I updated? Do I need to do manual updates until 1.6?

What's a good strike weapon build? I wanna roll around all day in medium armor and BAM BAM.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Old Demon? Totally fine!

Sulyvahn? :psyduck:

That's one angry motherfucker. I did OK with him using the Gotthard summon but ran dry on Ashen Estus and was thus unable to keep throwing lava in his shiny face.

On that note: what's the best way to get a bunch of embers? Because despite being pretty decent in each area, I'm terrible at bosses.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the club that does bleed is real good, the reinforced one. You can get it in undead settlement

can't go wrong being a member of the large and great great and large club club either

strangemusic posted:

On that note: what's the best way to get a bunch of embers? Because despite being pretty decent in each area, I'm terrible at bosses.

pvp

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Don't forget getting stuck behind the pillars.

Hmmm. Not in my epxerience.. I guess I was just too brave to hide behind pillars for that fight.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

strangemusic posted:

Helping someone else kill a boss in co-op enkindles you AND gives you a free Ember, it's also a good way to practice a boss

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

strangemusic posted:

Old Demon? Totally fine!

Sulyvahn? :psyduck:

That's one angry motherfucker. I did OK with him using the Gotthard summon but ran dry on Ashen Estus and was thus unable to keep throwing lava in his shiny face.

Slap down a white summon sign for a boss you can deal with, most likely treenuts. You get embered AND you get an Ember item if you win

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

the club that does bleed is real good, the reinforced one. You can get it in undead settlement

can't go wrong being a member of the large and great great and large club club either

pvp

The reinforced club will always have a special place in my heart from doing SL1 challenges. I'll probably make a build with it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it is suuuper good, and it's also gangster as gently caress to just wail on a dude with a stick wrapped in barbed wire

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Literally just walked in the door

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

net cafe scandal posted:

Hmmm. Not in my epxerience.. I guess I was just too brave to hide behind pillars for that fight.

Its not cowardly to tactically retreat around pillars!

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Babe Magnet posted:

it is suuuper good, and it's also gangster as gently caress to just wail on a dude with a stick wrapped in barbed wire

is it though? it seems like the range is pitiful and the only move is just chop chop chop. is it decent on a hollow luck build with carthus rouge or what?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Helping someone else kill a boss in co-op enkindles you AND gives you a free Ember, it's also a good way to practice a boss

I've also found that this can be a great way to farm a ton of souls really early since each Ember sells for 1k. If you're able to wield a Greataxe early, you'll easily kill Vordt in just a few hits and the summons are constant.

Also RE: Sulyvahn
He's a chump if you parry him, so I'd urge everyone to try that. Still, I'm pretty torn on parrying him myself. On the one hand, it feels so good to parry that fucker but on the other hand it was probably my favorite Souls boss before I knew this was possible. His second phase is probably the best gimmick they've had so far in my opinion; it's like a Darklurker without RNG fuckery, but watching Lobos Jr's stream I learned that you can keep your distance and consistently parry his second phase when he does the lunge (dodge the phantom, parry the Pontiff) and that makes a complete joke out of it.

Reposting this because of how badly a Lothric Knight Greatsword wrecks the poor dude if you get it early and parry him:

e: this is his opening attack. A single riposte dealing close to half his HP.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Got a question for the more PvP oriented folks here re: parrying:

1) First and foremost, is parrying really worth it, or is it just better to dodge and try to land regular attacks? When you can get a parry it's dope af, and I guess I can use it to throw a undead hunters talisman on them while they on the floor, but it doesn't seem like many weapons have a critical multiplier. Except for daggers I guess, but they seem like poo poo.

2) Visually, what timing should I be going for? Like, do I have to time it so I hit their attack with my shield's 'swing' animation? What's the sweet spot? Also: I assume that stuff like the target shield has a bigger parry window, but it also has kind of a weird animation, and I'm not sure what I should be shooting for.

Re: Covenant chat: It would be nice if you could do something with the covenant reward tokens besides turn them in to get items. I don't really need or want any of the covenant rewards and it'd be sweet if you could turn in pale tongues for like cosmetic upgrades. Maybe use like 10 at a time to give your weapon/armor a slight change in color, or give them novel effects, like a pale tongue can be used to increase a host's aggro range or an ear to give the host a HoT or something.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Waverhouse posted:

2) Visually, what timing should I be going for? Like, do I have to time it so I hit their attack with my shield's 'swing' animation? What's the sweet spot? Also: I assume that stuff like the target shield has a bigger parry window, but it also has kind of a weird animation, and I'm not sure what I should be shooting for.

Parry is right when you use stamina when you parry. So the parry dagger kinda sucks.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

Parry is right when you use stamina when you parry. So the parry dagger kinda sucks.

Caestus is good if you've got a decent connection and have fast enough reflexes for it, since the parry frames begin almost instantly.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I've never been good at parrying in any or these gamea. What's the timing. What am I doing wrong?

Am I trying to press the button when the attack will hit? Or my shield goes right then back left. Am I trying to get that swing to be in motion when the attack hits?

The risk seems really big compared to dodging. I tend to start a game saying "OK this time I will be sir parryman the knight" and never stick to it.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq7Xevr0Wxc of course it was him

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
Are you using one of the three parry shields? Medium shields with the parry ability feel like they have about four frames of actual parry time. The buckler, target shield and small leather shield get much longer parry windows, which is nice when all parries have a startup animation you have to learn to time around.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

She telegraphs it with a gasping sound.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Whiffing a couple parrys early in the fight while you are out of range has a tendency to make people a little more reckless, presumably because they assume you are going to keep trying it and you may not know how. Hiding behind a shield a bit early on also tends to goad people into being more aggressive, especially those wielding large weapons.

If you land a parry, people tend to get real desperate for a bit. Either they start trying to heal or they stop attacking first.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Giant Isopod posted:

So what exactly is the association between the Dark/Deep and ... trees, anyway?

The Deep used to be a cult all about defeating and locking up horrors before they ended up becoming really spooky themselves. Apparently trees in souls lore are good at resisting magic/curse and spirit trees in particular are really good at it. The treeboss was one that became a landfill for curses, bad magic and voodoo until it was overwhelmed and became a monster.

Related: you sometimes see hollows morphing into trees in the undead settlement. I'm guessing they were undead, a breath's away from becoming hollows, that were trying to trying to escape the curse of zombie immortality by doing weird stuff with trees. A few seem to have succeeded.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Wow I hate that Nameless King!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

I've never been good at parrying in any or these gamea. What's the timing. What am I doing wrong?

Am I trying to press the button when the attack will hit? Or my shield goes right then back left. Am I trying to get that swing to be in motion when the attack hits?

The risk seems really big compared to dodging. I tend to start a game saying "OK this time I will be sir parryman the knight" and never stick to it.

The risk is much bigger in this game than in the other games, to the point where I wouldn't really recommend parrying unless you know what you're doing.

As for when to parry, it depends on what you're parrying with. The parrying shields like Buckler and Target Shield are almost instantaneous, so you want to parry when the attack is just about to hit you while slower parries like Medium Shields (Kite Shield, etc.) have a bit of startup meaning you'll have to parry before the attack hits. If this game is anything like DS2 (don't know about DS1) every shield and weapon will have a certain amount of startup frames, active frames (where you'll parry if hit) and recovery frames (where you're helpless) and usually the best parrying tools are the ones closest to being instantaneous since you can then theoretically parry as a reaction to an attack.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Replaying this game and it's easy as poo poo so far. I've only died once during the first two bosses and almost killed the greatwood on my first try.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm going to make an abomination of the abyss as a new deprived, will post pictures

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
My limited experience has been that you usually need to learn whoever you're facing before you risk parrying. I find the easiest ones tend to be the people who roll toward you and follow up with an R1. They almost always seem to roll twice, the second being toward you, and attack. Since most weapon attacks out of a roll seem to happen around the same time, I've had the most success parrying those. Players who are being hyper aggressive will often swing as soon as they're almost in attack range (because to them, you already are).

The hardest ones tend to be the most difficult for me to fight already, because they mix it up and try to stay unpredictable. They tend to slip up a bit if you're almost dead, and if you think you have nothing left to lose, then you may as well try to parry the next time they dash in to finish you off. I actually won a fight that way.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

Kiggles posted:

Not quite, but it's better than it was in earlier games.

With password match making you can summon/be summoned by anyone, regardless of soul level or equipment level (now factored into match making)

So if you just coordinate with someone you can ping-pong items to another character off another person's character.

NOTE: You cannot exchange upgrade materials (including infusion stones, I think), and I believe this also applies to boss soul weapons.

Eh, that's a little annoying and anyway I don't have any real friends with DS3, only the ghosts that tell me about "Illusory wall ahead" and "try jumping". I'll probably shelve this game for now and play through again with some DLC then.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bombadilillo posted:

Parrying is bad rear end, and you can destroy a lot of high power enemies easily with one successful parry. I would recommend taking your favorite shield, going to a low level area, and just keep parrying the same couple of mooks over and over (Without actually killing them) Once you pull it off a few times, you will get a feel for where the sweet spot is, and it becomes much easier to parry tougher foes. There isn't a foolproof step by step guide to doing it well, you just need to play with the shield a bit and get a feel for it. Unless you plan on swapping, or not using your small shield for blocking, I would not recommend practicing with them. Practice with what you are going to use.

If you think of the movement path of the shield as an arc, the parry spot is in the middle, and it needs to cross that zone while the enemy attack is passing through that zone. This isn't a 100% accurate description, but the timing is close to that for most attacks.

Online parrying can be dicey, especially with a spotty connection, but nothing will change the momentum of a fight faster than landing one. I don't care about losing, so taking a big risk when I think I have gotten a handle on what the other person is doing is worth the potential payoff.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Pro-tip about parrying: if you're getting parried and can't keep up, remember that jump attacks can't be parried, or that you can quickly slide around behind them and get a backstab in during their recovery frames if they're spamming.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Theres gotta be more stipulations to deprived than just starting with nothing and all stats even. Jesus I waltzed through the game with my first character but this time its a roadblock every 5 feet.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You're SL1 as a deprived.

That's about it!

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 29, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alabaster White posted:

Pro-tip about parrying: if you're getting parried and can't keep up, remember that jump attacks can't be parried, or that you can quickly slide around behind them and get a backstab in during their recovery frames if they're spamming.

Is this true for enemies too? I've played it carefully with the parry-skellies in the Catacombs, etc. but if I can just jumpattack them it would make the rest of my runs so much easier.

Speaking of making things easier, it's hilarious how badly the Ultra Greatsword twohand R2 "poke" fucks up humanoid enemies. If you can get a fully charged one they'll be knocked on their rear end, and if you immediately start charging another one they'll get hit just as they get up. With an upgraded sword, those two hits are enough to kill pretty much all the NPCs in the game.

Babe Magnet posted:

You're SL1 as a deprived.

That's about it!

I gotta ask, is that anime poop from Starbound or did that game have a different anime poop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

codo27 posted:

Theres gotta be more stipulations to deprived than just starting with nothing and all stats even. Jesus I waltzed through the game with my first character but this time its a roadblock every 5 feet.

You can make the most efficient Luck build! Other than that, the challenge is kind of the point of it.

Your Computer posted:

Is this true for enemies too? I've played it carefully with the parry-skellies in the Catacombs, etc. but if I can just jumpattack them it would make the rest of my runs so much easier.

Should be. Jumping attacks have always been unparryable and the safe counter. Whips, too. I mean it makes sense when you think about it; how are you going to parry someone crashing down on you with their weapon?