Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
"I'm sorry, I'm going to need to leave the office right now, there's a personal emergency. Power of the Daleks has been found."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
“Look, I’m concerned about morale in this office. So we’re going to take the afternoon and watch this television episode called The Sun Makers…

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
"I'm feeling incredibly neutral about everything so I'm leaving now to sit in a beige room and watch The Creature From The Pit"

There's a thought - it's commonly accepted that no Who fans can agree on what's a good and what's a bad episode... can we agree on what the most average episode is?

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
No, we won't be able to. But I say The Lazarus Experiment, anyway.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

pinacotheca posted:

No, we won't be able to. But I say The Lazarus Experiment, anyway.
To quote Peri, "yuck".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fil5000 posted:

can we agree on what the most average episode is?

Something like Tooth & Claw? Frontios?

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

My second choice would probably be one of 42, the Silurians two-parter from Series 5, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship or The Power of Three.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Power of Three could never be an average episode just because of how rushed its ending is. And the entire ending.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

"I'm feeling incredibly neutral about everything so I'm leaving now to sit in a beige room and watch The Creature From The Pit"

There's a thought - it's commonly accepted that no Who fans can agree on what's a good and what's a bad episode... can we agree on what the most average episode is?

Probably something Tennant or Davison. Four to Doomsday or Black Orchid, maybe? 42 or Tooth and Claw? Something you can put on and say, "Yep, that's Doctor Who. That's certainly what this is."

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Probably something Tennant or Davison. Four to Doomsday or Black Orchid, maybe? 42 or Tooth and Claw? Something you can put on and say, "Yep, that's Doctor Who. That's certainly what this is."

Isn't Black Orchid the only story after, like, Hartnell in which there's really no alien threat and it's just a historical? That's pretty atypical.

42 is a pretty much perfect for most average revival episode. It's like they played Doctor Who mad libs and then filmed the result.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

Power of Three could never be an average episode just because of how rushed its ending is. And the entire ending.

That's true! I was really just poking fun at Chris Chibnall with that post.

Pertwee's got a few well-produced but hugely average stories, e.g. Colony in Space and Planet of the Daleks.

Oh, and Planet of Fire for Davison.

The Mysterious Planet for Colin.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Many of the season 15-16 Tom Baker stories just felt merely "Ok" to me. They had their moments, and they were sufficiently entertaining, but they weren't perfect - "The Sun Makers" and "Underworld," for example

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Image of The Fendahl

Wikipedia posted:

At the end of Part Two the Doctor asks the Fendahl skull if it would like a jelly baby, but actually offers it a liquorice allsort. This was commented on in the 'Watchdog' segment of Nationwide; the Doctor Who production office replied by saying that this was one of the ways the Doctor liked to confuse his enemy.

I had to look it up to remember the plot, and that's the most interesting thing in its wiki article.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 28, 2016

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

pinacotheca posted:

Oh, and Planet of Fire for Davison.

Turlough's short-shorts and Peri's bikini are most certainly NOT average, thank you very much!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I was also thinking Davison, and Frontios was the one that sprung to mind. It's just THERE. And for the revival I was also thinking 42. Two episodes that exist.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

CobiWann posted:

Turlough's short-shorts and Peri's bikini are most certainly NOT average, thank you very much!

Actually, the more I think about it (Peri talking in her sleep in the TARDIS, strangely-shaped artefacts, half the cast in swimwear, Peter Wyngarde), the less I'm sure that Planet of Fire is average in any way whatsoever. What was I thinking?

(I was thinking of its science vs. religion subplot, which had already been done plenty of times on Who and always seems to just end up as a bunch of bearded men arguing with each other in cod-Shakespearean dialogue over the course of about two and a half hours, is what I was thinking.)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Sorry, Frontios owns. It's easily one of the most "lived-in universe" stories in the series. I can't really think of anything else where one of the challenges our heroes face is simply providing sufficient illumination for medical treatment, and little things like the phrase "deaths unaccounted for" feel more like something from the serialized sci-fi you wouldn't see for another 15 years.

The Visitation is the most middling Davison story. It's Robert Holmes...ish. It's historical... kinda. The aliens have a plan... well, sort of...

The only reason anyone remembers it at all is the destruction of the sonic screwdriver.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Visitation is great.

The Mutants, now there's a safely average story. Some good stuff, some bad stuff, some padding.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I thought of the Tennant story set in the 50's with the alien living in the TV that steals faces.

It's so average that I cannot even remember the name of the episode.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Mutants, now there's a safely average story. Some good stuff, some bad stuff, some padding.

Yeah, as far as Pertwee era goes this is pretty average. The Mind Of Evil might fit this as well.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

FreezingInferno posted:

I thought of the Tennant story set in the 50's with the alien living in the TV that steals faces.

It's so average that I cannot even remember the name of the episode.

I believe The Idiot's Lantern?

After The War posted:

The Visitation is the most middling Davison story. It's Robert Holmes...ish. It's historical... kinda. The aliens have a plan... well, sort of...

The only reason anyone remembers it at all is the destruction of the sonic screwdriver.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

CobiWann posted:

I believe The Idiot's Lantern?

That's the one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I like that I can't think of an average McCoy story. They just veer wildly from good to bad, or at best/most damning 'unique'. Happiness Patrol is probably the most middling but it's still very memorable.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
It would probably be possible to scrape this thread and prior threads to find which episodes are the least frequently mentioned. There's your most mediocre.

Anyway, Hide.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

qntm posted:

It would probably be possible to scrape this thread and prior threads to find which episodes are the least frequently mentioned.

That's gonna be Terminus

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

At least it was, now it's The Sensorites

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And now it's -ah bollocks

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

The one with the Mandrels?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Isn't Black Orchid the only story after, like, Hartnell in which there's really no alien threat and it's just a historical? That's pretty atypical.

It is, but it's a fun character piece with Davison playing cricket and costume party in the past. It "feels" like Doctor Who without being particularly stand out or terrible.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Toph Bei Fong posted:

It is, but it's a fun character piece with Davison playing cricket and costume party in the past. It "feels" like Doctor Who without being particularly stand out or terrible.
Poor Sarah Sutton, I watched that one with the commentary and if I remember right she liked Black Orchid but Davison and Fielding kept making fun of everything.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The_Doctor posted:

I like that I can't think of an average McCoy story. They just veer wildly from good to bad, or at best/most damning 'unique'. Happiness Patrol is probably the most middling but it's still very memorable.

Delta and the Bannerman is a pretty average serial for me, but I'm well aware I'm the only person that even kind of likes it. Dragonfire, too, maybe.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Rochallor posted:

Delta and the Bannerman is a pretty average serial for me, but I'm well aware I'm the only person that even kind of likes it. Dragonfire, too, maybe.

Hey, rule one of Doctor Who fandom always applies. For example I still think it's a goofy fairy tale fun time for the most part. It's all about a alien space-princess near-teen romance in a no-budget nowhere Welsh tourist trap, and there's an awkward proto-Ace, cheesy re-recorded 50's pop songs, and Roger Rabbit's Marvin Acme is an American "agent" of some sort. The whole thing is a puff pastry.

But all I can ever remember from Dragonfire is Ace's arrival and . Not even Sabalom Glitz's return made much of an impression.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Battlefield would be a pretty average story if it wasn't for the two Brigadiers being awesome characters

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

IceAgeComing posted:

Battlefield would be a pretty average story if it wasn't for the two Brigadiers being awesome characters

Eh, the idea of Bambera is better than the execution. Nothing wrong with how Angela Bruce portrays her, there's just not much on the page beyond 'punches people and makes out with pretty boy'.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

"I'm sorry, I'm going to need to leave the office right now, there's a personal emergency. Power of the Daleks has been found."

Your Boss would never believe you because if that happened every television in the Commonwealth would automatically turn on, the Queen would appear and rasp,"The penultimate seal is broken, once Charles has died I can safely shed this mortal form :getin:" and then a National Holiday would be declared.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Barry the Sprout posted:

The one with the Mandrels?

I like Nightmare of Eden.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

I like Nightmare of Eden.

What I love about English is that every so often you see a combination of words that have never been put together in that order before. Like the post I just quoted.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

What I love about English is that every so often you see a combination of words that have never been put together in that order before. Like the post I just quoted.

:lol:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

My vote for most middling is the pirate episode from season 6.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Organza Quiz posted:

My vote for most middling is the pirate episode from season 6.

The Space Pirates only has one episode surviving, how would you know if it's middling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CaptainYesterday posted:

The Space Pirates only has one episode surviving, how would you know if it's middling?

Yeah, but it's the middle one.

Budumtish.

Edit: nnnnnope. Episode 2 of 6.

• Locked thread