Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The few late night EMH we did during christmas week was pretty awesome. Everything was a walk on because it was at like 3 in the morning so I would totally pay to do something like that.

If any of you guys manage to go sometime in the next 8 months, can one of you check out the Frontierland HoeDown and see if Brer Rabbit is meetable I really want to meet that loving rabbit in some kind of autistic way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

skipdogg posted:

Braks is the authority, but I know last year they didn't release 2016 bookings online until July or so.

I've read you can call and book over the phone up to 499 days in advance, but the price will probably change when they figure out 2017 pricing. The hold up is the pricing for 2017 hasn't been decided (I think)

This is correct. 2017 package pricing isn't available yet, and probably won't be until about June at the earliest. You can book a room only right now, I think, and then convert it to package once the pricing is available. Unless your ADR date is coming up too soon, there's no real good reason to do that though.

Anya, glad you got upgraded to a better room! Hope you enjoy your stay!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Fun fact. When you go from Epcot to MK and forgot you had a convo about doing an annual pass with braksgirl and then you can't get into MK AND YOU ARE VERY CONFUSED FROM BEING UP SINCE 3am and then you have an annual pass!

Moral of the story is don't be up for 15+ hours and try to park hop.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Braksgirl posted:

I need to learn the secret goon wave. I bet I walked right past you on HM and didn't know it was you, BBS.

I'd say look for the heftier looking butler, but a) I've lost a bunch of weight and b) I'm no longer alone in the fat butler department.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

But I be done seen about everything
When I see an elephant fly

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Braksgirl posted:

This is correct. 2017 package pricing isn't available yet, and probably won't be until about June at the earliest. You can book a room only right now, I think, and then convert it to package once the pricing is available. Unless your ADR date is coming up too soon, there's no real good reason to do that though.

Anya, glad you got upgraded to a better room! Hope you enjoy your stay!

So I just need to sit tight until it opens up? The website isn't even showing me room-only prices, I can't see anything in January unless the check-in date is in 2016. I'm a planner, this is freaking me out. If you're supposed to make dinner reservations 180 days out for the most popular places, but you can't even make hotel reservations or buy park tickets until less than that, it doesn't make much sense to me.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I'd say look for the heftier looking butler, but a) I've lost a bunch of weight and b) I'm no longer alone in the fat butler department.

Going to ask every goony CM if they have stairs.

In my real world job, that's an actual question I have to ask every day.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Omne posted:

So I just need to sit tight until it opens up? The website isn't even showing me room-only prices, I can't see anything in January unless the check-in date is in 2016. I'm a planner, this is freaking me out. If you're supposed to make dinner reservations 180 days out for the most popular places, but you can't even make hotel reservations or buy park tickets until less than that, it doesn't make much sense to me.

Yes, basically. It shouldn't be too long now. You can actually go ahead and make the ADRs without the room reservation if you want at the 180 day mark. It's really stupid how they do this, but it is what it is. I'd give you Bob Iger's number if I had it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah you threw us a curve ball that day we saw you at McD's... we both knew it was you but were not certain. But this is a good thing so congrats on that.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Serious question about handling the heat down here. It's 100 out, and my room is 76.9, with the ac set to the lowest setting. It got up to 78 while I'm hanging out - front desk said this is normal. Is it? Or is my ac actually broken?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Anya posted:

Serious question about handling the heat down here. It's 100 out, and my room is 76.9, with the ac set to the lowest setting. It got up to 78 while I'm hanging out - front desk said this is normal. Is it? Or is my ac actually broken?

The AC is not super great inside the hotel rooms, but it's still much cooler than outside. There is a fan option, I believe. I just always turn that on.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Yeah, I've got the fan on as well. The ac is set to as low as it could go, but taking and shower and drying my hair kicked it up a great deal. They said yesterday there was an electric eye that tracked movement to keep the ac on, but there hasn't been a difference in over 2 hours so I was wondering.

I've never seen a resort have crap ac before, so I was curious before calling them again.

It's a lot cooler in the hallway than my room as well.

In other news, just passed HS, and the Earful Tower is no more. It was there yesterday and gone overnight.

Anya fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 30, 2016

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

That doesn't sound right to me. I'd see if they can't either get someone up to look at it or if you can switch rooms. Don't call down, actually go down to the desk and talk to someone. If you call, it just goes to a call center, not to anyone onsite.

Even last year when it was hot out, our room at least got down to like 72.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
If the unit is in the room, cranking it down too low can freeze the condenser and then A/C no worky. They might have it set so you cannot lower it so much the unit freezes.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Yeah, I went down to the front desk and they asked me if I wanted to switch, and they would check it out. I figured if it was weird for more than a day - something needed fixed. The guy at the desk was great.

I like the magic band influence on the hitchhiking ghosts! And, right now, the view from the California Grill is fantastic.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Oh man I want to go back to Cali Grill soon. Need to look up some dates. Dying for that tomato salad.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Anya posted:

Yeah, I went down to the front desk and they asked me if I wanted to switch, and they would check it out. I figured if it was weird for more than a day - something needed fixed. The guy at the desk was great.

I like the magic band influence on the hitchhiking ghosts! And, right now, the view from the California Grill is fantastic.

I should clarify that when I say its not great, that I've only ever stayed in value resorts. I am sure they keep the higher level stuff a bit chillier.

Also: Yes, our new ghost interactions with MagicBands are great. The day they turned it on, the imagineers did not tell us, so I did a ridethrough with some of my trainees and was like "Ummmm why are they holding tombstones?"

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

I should clarify that when I say its not great, that I've only ever stayed in value resorts. I am sure they keep the higher level stuff a bit chillier.
I swear they keep the hallways in Boardwalk Inn at a constant 45 degrees.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Wait what happens now with the MBs and the ghosts?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

BlueBayou posted:

Wait what happens now with the MBs and the ghosts?

If you are celebrating something, they may acknowledge that (they smash a cake in your face for birthdays, or let bats/dead birds fly in a heart for an anniversary) or they may simply acknowledge your name if its on your band (they frame your face in a photo and you are replaced by a tombstone with your name) or they may simply decide to follow you home, and let you know they know where home is by stating HOME STATE Here We Come!)

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

I swear they keep the hallways in Boardwalk Inn at a constant 45 degrees.

I *must* stay there. Gotta love a cold room for the best sleep!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I've stayed in various value and moderate resorts through the years and never had an issue getting our room ice cold.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Mine was home state - I was really confused for a second, as I don't consider WV my home state, and then I was like - magic bands!
AC is working. And it is beautiful.

Second serious question, friend of mine is driving up to do the parks with me today and may end up crashing in my room. Do they check reservations when you go through the entrance gate to your resort? Hadn't thought that through until now.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

At the gate, your guest can say they are there to visit you and give your name. They'll be considered a day guest.

Just curious, Anya, did they come and fix your a/c or did they move you to a new room?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Got fixed. It was a 180 difference in temp; so something must have been wrong. I was gone for about 8 hours so that is probably why I didn't get moved.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Finally seeing Fantasmic for the first time. 13 new rides/shows, plus finally tooled around through the Contemporary, Poly, GF, and Disney Springs. Goal is to convince my husband to make a family trip for my bday, while our son is still 2.

And goddamn, Stitch is truly a horrible experience.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Anya posted:

And goddamn, Stitch is truly a horrible experience.

It's awful. My husband insisted we ride it last time and I had to take the 4 year old out. The CM was standing near us because he absolutely knew I was going to have to take the baby out. It's truly terrible.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I rode it only because my friend loves Stitch and I wanted to do a Stitchy thing for her...and I was curious how bad it was. I guess I'm impressed by how dreadful something can be and last that long.

Star Wars fireworks are AWESOME. Watched Fantasmic and them back to back. Wow! Is all I can say.
Skipper Canteen not too bad, I'd give it 7-8/10.

We also learned that two grown adult women in reasonable shape will barely fit in the Astro Orbiter. I thought we would be stuck forever.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anya posted:

I rode it only because my friend loves Stitch and I wanted to do a Stitchy thing for her...and I was curious how bad it was. I guess I'm impressed by how dreadful something can be and last that long.

Star Wars fireworks are AWESOME. Watched Fantasmic and them back to back. Wow! Is all I can say.
Skipper Canteen not too bad, I'd give it 7-8/10.

We also learned that two grown adult women in reasonable shape will barely fit in the Astro Orbiter. I thought we would be stuck forever.

I rode it with my brother and it was the last time I'm probably ever going on it until I have a kid who really loving loves heights. He's a 5'6 trans man and I'm 6'2 and average build, and I was having the life squeezed out of me. I told my girlfriend that I simply cannot ride it with her no matter how much she may want me to.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My gf and I rode it on like our last day at disney late at night with like 5 other people and it was really boring. It made me think, having never experiencing it, if Alien Encounter was even that impressive either.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Abu Dave posted:

My gf and I rode it on like our last day at disney late at night with like 5 other people and it was really boring. It made me think, having never experiencing it, if Alien Encounter was even that impressive either.

Maybe this is just the childhood nostalgia talking, but Alien Encounter WAS really good. Too good for this Earth :qq:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think the big mistake with Stitch is that they removed Alien Encounter because it was a very adult, scary horror attraction that they may have felt accidentally attracted too many kids or unassuming parents. But the ride that replaced it maintained much of the stuff that actually scared kids in the dark while removing the cool sci-fi horror aspects that made adults interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6I7vrusAWw

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 2, 2016

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I can see where it could be cool but you just sit there and do nothing and get stomped on by the restraints.

Here in MK until 300, anyone else here?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Anya posted:

I can see where it could be cool but you just sit there and do nothing and get stomped on by the restraints.

But that was the whole point of the attraction! This horrible monster is stalking through the darkness, close enough that you can feel its breath on your neck, and you're just strapped in, helpless to stop it. If helplessness in the face of peril isn't scary, I don't know what is.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I can see your point. I think Stitch itself just ruins it. And the weird chili dog smell.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Wasn't Tomorrowland supposed to be sponsored by Weyland-Yutani at one point?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
In a haunted mansion with a somewhat portly butler. BBS if that's you - nice work.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Skeezy posted:

Wasn't Tomorrowland supposed to be sponsored by Weyland-Yutani at one point?

The original concept for Alien Encounter was a Space Ranger Spin/Midway Mania experience called Nostromo where you basically ran the gently caress away from the alien and shot at it. This was in the Eisner days. It didn't fit with the rule of nothing rated R in the parks, but an obvious nod is The Great Movie Ride section of it.

That being said, Alien Encounter loving owned and I bought a pin with a piece of the alien's leg in it.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 2, 2016

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I wanted to experience the Stitch thing (isn't it going away?) at least once, so my wife and I went during EMH's late one night. I thought it was alright (and I'm a huge Stitch fan), but she f'in hated it. She's usually pretty chill but she told me she'll never do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Tim Whatley posted:

The original concept for Alien Encounter was a Space Ranger Spin/Midway Mania experience called Nostromo where you basically ran the gently caress away from the alien and shot at it. This was in the Eisner days. It didn't fit with the rule of nothing rated R in the parks, but an obvious nod is The Great Movie Ride section of it.

That being said, Alien Encounter loving owned and I bought a pin with a piece of the alien's leg in it.

That sounds like it would have loving ruled.