Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

fwiw I was just pointing out there are several chars whose gayness is just a part of their character and never a plot device. It was the only issue I had with either side of this argument I felt worth engaging with, if only because The 100 is still an amazing show for gay representation just by virtue of having these characters be so casual about it. Whether you agree with how Lexa was handled or not I feel like that should be the one thing everyone can at least agree on. It's so simple.

Anyway how bout dat Erica Cerra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

Edit: Also, Lexa is played by the same lady who plays the daughter in Fear the Walking Dead? I NEVER would have been able to tell that on my own. I don't know if that's a mark against me or a testament to how much the Lexa character is different from a typical high school girl.

Frighteningly (if there were an actual apocalypse), they're probably supposed to be about the same age. Growing up in post apoc is rough. :(

esperterra posted:

fwiw I was just pointing out there are several chars whose gayness is just a part of their character and never a plot device. It was the only issue I had with either side of this argument I felt worth engaging with, if only because The 100 is still an amazing show for gay representation just by virtue of having these characters be so casual about it. Whether you agree with how Lexa was handled or not I feel like that should be the one thing everyone can at least agree on. It's so simple.

Of of two things. Everyone agrees Clarke has great boobs. :eng101:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

n3wt posted:

Just imagine how cool it would have been to have Ontari kill Lexa in a badass fight later in the season upping the stakes for Arkadia and how much cred that would have given the show. Imagine if Pike had been handed over to the grounders and made to fight for his life then pulled a dirty move and shot Lexa with a hidden piece.
Imagine a million ways that don't involve a stupid stray bullet 3 minutes after hooking up. Imagine pretty much anything more relevant to this show's universe than a stray bullet.

I think people need to get over the stray bullet thing. I personally saw no problem with this. I think it was great that the one guy who would go above and beyond to protect Lexa is the one who ended up killing her in his misguided attempt to save her from Clark's influence.

People seriously need to stop judging shows based on what they want to happen in it. Let the creators do their thing, stop judging every single episode on their own and judge it based on the whole season.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dalael posted:

People seriously need to stop judging shows based on what they want to happen in it. Let the creators do their thing, stop judging every single episode on their own and judge it based on the whole season.

So... we basically need to shut down tumblr and twitter then, right? Anytime I hear about some huge drama in television, usually the fans thinking they're entitled to something, it's been through one of these godawful social media platforms.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

So... we basically need to shut down tumblr and twitter then, right? Anytime I hear about some huge drama in television, usually the fans thinking they're entitled to something, it's been through one of these godawful social media platforms.

i think that's a great plan honestly, neither platforms contribute anything worthwhile to society

one can in fact argue their overall effect is regressive

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Johnny Truant posted:

Ideally, yes.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I like to discuss things on SA because in theory the discussion should be of better quality but in practice it's mostly just complaining about other websites.

Also one of the other sources I read about the 100 stopped making content after Lexa died which was... I guess unsurprising. Irritating though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

idk I learned my lesson long ago to just enjoy the horrible arguments for the comedy gold that they are. There have always been annoying superfans on the internet. It's just now everyone and their six year old has the net in the palm of their hand all the loving time.

Social media certainly doesn't help, but those voices would be louder than they used to be no matter what.

tl;dr i stopped taking the internet seriously in like 2001 everyone should do the same

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

esperterra posted:

tl;dr i stopped taking the internet seriously in like 2001 everyone should do the same

:agreed:

I like to think whenever I (accidentally) take the internet seriously I'm having a very small seizure, makes me feel slightly better.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

esperterra posted:

I heard back then the Internet Makes You Stupid.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

:siren: S3 E13 Join or Die :siren:

Clarke is on a mission that might change everything; Murphy gets an idea that may help ensure his survival; Kane reaches his breaking point.

Forgot what day of the week it was. :supaburn:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'm sure I'll find out in 30 minutes or less but who went with Kane when he left for polis? I remember somebody volunteered but can't remember, and I can't think of anybody else missing from Clark's Crew of Mistakes

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm sure I'll find out in 30 minutes or less but who went with Kane when he left for polis? I remember somebody volunteered but can't remember, and I can't think of anybody else missing from Clark's Crew of Mistakes

Kane volunteered to go with Pike.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Holy poo poo. Poor Kane.

Have we heard someone say "Go float yourself." before Murphy? Because that's a beautiful phrase.

Zebulon fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 29, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
They say it all the time, since season 1. Float is how CW gets away with swearing.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

They say it all the time, since season 1. Float is how CW gets away with swearing.

Somehow I just never remembered it, I guess.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Yeah, they say it all the time. It sounds pretty goofy to me personally.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

raditts posted:

To be honest if it was anyone but Murphy, and saying it so bitterly in that specific context, I'd probably think it was goofy too. The flashbacks make it work in that case.

Edit: and whoever it was that called it as being the oil rig, congrats. An oil rig that apparently is still working and drilling, given it had the burn-off flame going.

Zebulon fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 29, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The painfully blunt Jesus analogy doesn't exactly work when Not-Jesus gives in to the devil's temptations.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Hey, there's that oil rig! Knew that was in the intro for a reason.

loving loved it when Octavia fainted the actual second after Jasper drank the goo. Like it gave him just enough time to regret every single decision he had ever made in his life before he zonked out.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
drat Clark is dumb.

did she really think unloading that on somebody that ran away from polis would get a positive response? She's normally more coy and withholding, that was just blatant and stupid

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Well, she was kind of desperate. There's a fast-growing zombie army that isn't zombies, but actually regular people who fully retain their physical and mental capabilities, only they can't feel pain and they function as a near-perfect hive mind. So actually vastly more terrifying than zombies. But yeah, there's that, and it has her mom, so she's kind of itching to figure out how she can fix that poo poo.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

If she just activated it on Luna like she did on Emerson, is there really anything she could do to reject it?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

What a powerful episode. Holy poo poo. The Ark flashbacks, the slow Radioactive...wow. Full circle with the first episode.

Very cool to see the "old" versions of these guys from S1, especially the Chancellors. I think I really need to rewatch this show from the beginning.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Yeah, I really dug the somber Radioactive as a callback to the pilot. Almost makes the actual moment in the pilot worth it. Almost.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

That slow version of that song was loving horrible.

Episode was great though, even with the Jesus Kane mashup.

I predict next ep starts with him spitting out the chip? Idk I feel they already did the "take the chip cause you're under duress" thing with Abby, you know?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spergatory posted:

Yeah, I really dug the somber Radioactive as a callback to the pilot. Almost makes the actual moment in the pilot worth it. Almost.

That was what made it resonate for me, because in the pilot I heard it and was all :rolleyes: "OH HERE WE GO TYPICAL YA TEENYBOPPER POP SONG BULLSHIT!!" and was thisclose to turning off the show. Now it comes back to show me how epically wrong I was.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol Clarke trying to make Bellamy feel better.

I still can't think of a reason why then chancellor Jaha didn't send Pike down with the kids.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Don't apologize for Imagine Dragons songs. We're better than that.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Kane just can't get away from situations like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OkuvT5JFo&t=9215s

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Episode was good (and pretty loving gruesome!) but with the show's recent propensity for killing off characters I was really worried for martyr Kane there. :ohdear:

I'm glad we finally got some Pike flashbacks as it did finally add a shade of complexity to him in that we are shown he was once not so much of a fascist. Otherwise I'm not sure what purpose the flashbacks served other than it was fun to see everyone in their 1x01 getup.

Overall I'm happy with the direction they've taken things with the season - I didn't think all the pieces would move quite so fast but it's good to see some clear lines being drawn in regards to the AI v AI showdown and most of the lame politics has kind of been thrown out the window (it's funny how much more likeable Antari becomes when she's on the Jaha magic pill and doesn't have a word of dialogue. :ssh:)

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Johnny Truant posted:

That slow version of that song was loving horrible.

Episode was great though, even with the Jesus Kane mashup.

I predict next ep starts with him spitting out the chip? Idk I feel they already did the "take the chip cause you're under duress" thing with Abby, you know?

I don't think he could really fake taking the chip, since Allie would notice that he wasn't connected to her and she couldn't access his mind.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dalael posted:

stop judging every single episode on their own and judge it based on the whole season.

I am, this season has been utter crap. I don't even give a poo poo about Lexa.

At this point I'm just hoping something happens in the finale that gives me reason to watch next season.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Pike continues to own, one of the best additions to the cast this season. Grounders continue to remain dumb scrub-tier dipshits, personified by Indra who failed at the one thing they're are supposed to be good at, stabbing people.

Murphy is clutch, as always.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Kane :stonk:

I teared up. :( I was actually kind of hoping he'd let Abby die.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Was the cartoon villainy torture really necessary when they could have just force fed the stupid thing to Kane?

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Space Pussy posted:

Was the cartoon villainy torture really necessary when they could have just force fed the stupid thing to Kane?

I'm not sure the chip would work as a suppository.... So this was the only way.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I was bored by the episode. It all felt very by-the-numbers. The scene where they find the location on the map, but it's not what they were after and they're all distraught, but wait, there is a convenient clue that lets them carry the plot along. Masked dudes come out of the water pointing weapons but capture the crew so quickly that it's really obvious they're not a threat and are just taking them where they need to go. Then the Kane-chip scene was exactly the same as when they made Abby take the chip, so why even show us it?

And gently caress knows what's going on with Pike at this point, honestly.

Also: Radioactive is a good song (if terribly on the nose for it's use in the pilot) and this version was a...curious choice. I kinda liked it, but the way they faded out and back in for the Kane scene was real awkward.

jfood posted:

Murphy is clutch, as always.
Why did he look so much more punchable in the flashbacks? Is it just because his face was clean?

Was trippy seeing Kane without the beard.

Johnny Truant posted:

ALIE would instantly know if he hadn't swallowed the chip though. He wouldn't be linked to the hivemind. So that would be real bullshit.

Spergatory posted:

loving loved it when Octavia fainted the actual second after Jasper drank the goo. Like it gave him just enough time to regret every single decision he had ever made in his life before he zonked out.
His resigned "aw, crap" was the best moment in the ep.

raditts posted:

I thought it was fine when they were actually on the Ark, but it's increasingly more stupid the longer they've been on earth.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm not saying he's going to fool ALIE, geez gimme a bit of credit y'all. I'm just hoping they're not just doing Abby's chipping again, but just with Kane, you know? But probably not from that last super emo Kane face.

Also people seriously like that radioactive song? :psyduck: to each their own but drat...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

Also people seriously like that radioactive song? :psyduck: to each their own but drat...

I liked it at a time. It was a fine song. Just not fine enough to sustain seeing play in literally all media, 500 times a day, for an entire year. Can't stand it anymore.

• Locked thread