Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Trades posted:

Unless you're maining Vega.
Either I'm god awful or SFV Vega has even worse AA options compared to SF4 Vega.

In SF4 I had no problems stopping all of of the jumpins. Especially considering that cr.hp, st.hk and flashkick were pretty decent in SF4. While in SFV there's no flashkick anymore, st.hk has 5 minutes long startup and claw cr.hp has poo poo priority.

*grumble grumble*

EDIT: I wish I could make myself NOT play Vega anymore.

we complained about jump ins being too good back in beta but it's really obvious now that it's just the game is a laggy piece of poo poo at all times, and it has nothing to do with jump ins being good, especially with how braindead most light antiairs are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Unless you're maining Vega.
Either I'm god awful or SFV Vega has even worse AA options compared to SF4 Vega.

In SF4 I had no problems stopping all of of the jumpins. Especially considering that cr.hp, st.hk and flashkick were pretty decent in SF4. While in SFV there's no flashkick anymore, st.hk has 5 minutes long startup and claw cr.hp has poo poo priority.

*grumble grumble*

EDIT: I wish I could make myself NOT play Vega anymore.

Vega's got really bad options in this game, his buttons can't keep anyone out, and his rushdown is pretty poor. I think he might end up being this game's Dan/Deejay. I'm gonna play me some Guile and get some options back.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Guile has two themes: one with Carlos Santana wanking away and one without

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1kb6Lb8hOg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVVtsRNFTX0

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Vega's really strong, his anti-air options are weak, but if you're a Vega player from SF4 they really aren't significantly better or worse. Standing heavy kick has more start-up, but crush counters for hundreds of damage. If you don't like playing him, okay, but dropping him because you think he's too weak is a mistake IMO.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Periodiko posted:

Vega's really strong, his anti-air options are weak, but if you're a Vega player from SF4 they really aren't significantly better or worse. Standing heavy kick has more start-up, but crush counters for hundreds of damage. If you don't like playing him, okay, but dropping him because you think he's too weak is a mistake IMO.

His crush counter is one of the worst in the whole game.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

A.o.D. posted:

His crush counter is one of the worst in the whole game.

Did you not read what I wrote, because I'm talking about anti-airs?

You can crush counter jump-ins with it, it hits super early so it tends to counterhit jump-ins designed to beat stuff. If you combo off that, you can do hundreds of damage, depending on your meter.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 29, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Periodiko posted:

Did you not read what I wrote, because I'm talking about anti-airs?

You can crush counter jump-ins with it, it hits super early so it tends to counterhit jump-ins designed to beat stuff. If you combo off that, you can do hundreds of damage, depending on your meter.

That works against bad players, good players don't give you the spacing and timing you need to make that work as an anti-air.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Vega has a three frame normal that combos

He's fine

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj3B7Dy_xwI&t=53s

WTF was that?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Hitboxes!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

love watching this guy playing guile throwing out flash kicks when he thinks ken is gonna push buttons, and hitting every single one of them.

HARD. READS.

edit: also looks like it is a lot easier to anti air with sonic hurricane in this compared to 4. in 4 you had to do it pretty early or they would just land and block

cams fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 29, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

canoshiz posted:

Guile has two themes: one with Carlos Santana wanking away and one without

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1kb6Lb8hOg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVVtsRNFTX0

Capcpom is so good they gave Guile's stage his theme instead of the character.

i really hate guile's guile's theme

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I really hope Guile isn't great, because I was hoping most people would dump him pretty quick.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I really hope Guile isn't great, because I was hoping most people would dump him pretty quick.

This will probably happen regardless

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

i hope the zoner is good actually

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the only one, in fact, should be good

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Put cvs2 guile in this game

Let me do rc boom I'll show you who the real zoner is

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The server seems to be up, I just played through Guile's trials. rip SSFIV guile trials that took me hours

cams
Mar 28, 2003

https://www.twitch.tv/camsteh

playing guile. i'll figure it out

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Who wants to run guile mirros

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Dantarions hitboxes are up for guile. It looks like all versions of flash kick have some invul on the way up, and the hurtboxes are huge by sfv standards.

http://watissf.dantarion.com/sf5/boxdox/#v1_3/A16-SOMERSAULT_L-4

For example LK version is strike vulnerable for 4 frames in startup, then invul for the next 4 active frames, then gains hurtboxes for the rest of the active frames.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Was kinda hoping for a surprise Juri fight, oh well.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Crap, I'm going to need a stick to play guile.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
WHY THE gently caress IS GUILE SAYING SOMERSAULT IN ENGLISH VOICE

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Booyah- posted:

Dantarions hitboxes are up for guile. It looks like all versions of flash kick have some invul on the way up, and the hurtboxes are huge by sfv standards.

http://watissf.dantarion.com/sf5/boxdox/#v1_3/A16-SOMERSAULT_L-4

For example LK version is strike vulnerable for 4 frames in startup, then invul for the next 4 active frames, then gains hurtboxes for the rest of the active frames.

Ex Flash kick has 8 frames of invuln, and is a 3 frame start up. The invuln on the 5th-8th frames on his normal flashes is weird, but the hitbox on all versions is generous as hell. It looks like it was meant to be his go to whiff punish if you have charge.

Standing Jab is 3 frames, whiffs crouchers. St. MP is 4 frames (!) st. MK is still an anti-air. cr. lp is also a 3 frame jab, but has 1 more frame of recovery than standing. Both cr. and standing HP have anti air utility, but cr HP has a better hit box and hits directly overhead, just like it should, standing version is faster, though.
cr. LK is also a 3 frame move (!!) but has 7 frames of recovery. It's a spacing/long range last resort punish.

None of his moves seem to extend ridiculous hurtboxes beyond his hit box, nor does he create any egregious hurt boxes on recovery. A lot of his moves extend the hitbox well beyond his hurtbox.

tl;dr: Guile's buttons look really good.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 29, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Jump Attacks that cross you up when you're in the corner, but cause the person crossing you up to slide off of your face and make you have to go back to blocking forwards as soon as they hit the ground are loving ugly and stupid and shouldn't exist :argh:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Baal posted:

Man don't lay an egg over it. That's your new name now: Eggman.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm equally pissed by moves you block front and land back.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

1) since most people couldn't get the hang of chuns SBK combo, I imagine people dropping guile left and right pretty fast since what seemingly is his BnB will need the same style of plink-charge timing.
2) while in trigger he can boom with no charge by hitting trigger again, its neat.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also,

Baal posted:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bhsman posted:

Man don't lay an egg over it. That's your new name now: Eggman.

First they took my charlie and now they took my flash kick

this is unforgiveable

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
netcode status: still loving randomly unplayable on 5 bar connections

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i love guile.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Evil Canadian posted:

1) since most people couldn't get the hang of chuns SBK combo, I imagine people dropping guile left and right pretty fast since what seemingly is his BnB will need the same style of plink-charge timing.
2) while in trigger he can boom with no charge by hitting trigger again, its neat.

what's his bnb?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Real hurthling! posted:

what's his bnb?

well I shoulda said punish combo since I don't know if st.hp is minus or not but I assume it is. That said, st.hp, cr.mp flashkick, (or st.hp cr.mp lp boom, b+hp in corner). It actually is easier than chun's stuff now that I play around with it, but I can see a lot of people having issues.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Was kinda hoping for a surprise Juri fight, oh well.

hell yeah its my boy abel

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Guile is fun

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Baal posted:

Hasn't he said both somersault and flash kick in various different games? It's not that weird a change, anyway.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
He doesn't say flashkick 0/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
My chun issue is that SBK sometimes comes out when I want legs instead, so maybe I should give this guile A Shot.