Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is Dave Hill actually writing any episode this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

whatever7 posted:

Episode 2 is a Dave Hill.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

this_is_hard posted:

It's the Bran scene in the official episode 2 teaser video. He has a vision of Winterfell. It's Benjen and Ned sparring/fighting when they were children. A girl comes into the scene. It's Lyanna Stark. She says to Benjen "Who are you going to fight with when Ned leaves?"
Bran tells BR that he sees his family. The scene continues. Benjen answers "I don't know who I'll fight with. Maybe that kid?" He points to a tall fat kid. It's Hodor, but his name is WILLAS. Yep not Walder.
Lyanna says "You can't fight with him. He's not noble." Willas sees talking about him and wants to join but he can't. Someone who looks like his mother tells him that he's not going to fight. You're not going to be a fighter. (?) Benjen says "You're huge. You should be a fighter/rider."
BR interrupts the scene and calls him back. If he stays any longer it could be dangerous. "If you stay for too long you can die/drown."
Bran comes out of the vision. Bran says "If I wasn't drowning/dying then I was... Home." The episode is called Home.
Meera is outside. Bran calls her and tells to enter. BR says that it's dangerous to stay outside too long. Meera is unconvinced.
A cotf goes to her "You need to come inside. You need to help Bran."
Meera says "Why should I come inside? To watch him dream and have visions?" She feels useless.
Back under the tree Bran sees Hodor. "I saw you talk Hodor.. What happened to you? What happened?" And to shock the world....
Hodor responds with "Hodor."
The scene goes to Castle Black. It's Thorne breaking into the room. Davos says his I've never been a fighter line from the trailer and that's it.

first scene of ep2

"I apologize for what you're about to see"

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

whatever7 posted:

Yes, the one on Sunday. And if this is true:

this_is_hard posted:

It's the Bran scene in the official episode 2 teaser video. He has a vision of Winterfell. It's Benjen and Ned sparring/fighting when they were children. A girl comes into the scene. It's Lyanna Stark. She says to Benjen "Who are you going to fight with when Ned leaves?"
Bran tells BR that he sees his family. The scene continues. Benjen answers "I don't know who I'll fight with. Maybe that kid?" He points to a tall fat kid. It's Hodor, but his name is WILLAS. Yep not Walder.
Lyanna says "You can't fight with him. He's not noble." Willas sees talking about him and wants to join but he can't. Someone who looks like his mother tells him that he's not going to fight. You're not going to be a fighter. (?) Benjen says "You're huge. You should be a fighter/rider."
BR interrupts the scene and calls him back. If he stays any longer it could be dangerous. "If you stay for too long you can die/drown."
Bran comes out of the vision. Bran says "If I wasn't drowning/dying then I was... Home." The episode is called Home.
Meera is outside. Bran calls her and tells to enter. BR says that it's dangerous to stay outside too long. Meera is unconvinced.
Meera says "Why should I come inside? To watch him dream and have visions?" She feels useless.
Back under the tree Bran sees Hodor. "I saw you talk Hodor.. What happened to you? What happened?" And to shock the world....
The scene goes to Castle Black. It's Thorne breaking into the room. Davos says his I've never been a fighter line from the trailer and that's it.

first scene of ep2

It's going to be amazing.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
I'm pretty sure the show at one point said Hodor's real name was Walder.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Makes sense they'd change his name given the Freys are back this season.

e: unless they really did mention it already as being Walder, but I'm pretty sure that's only brought up in the books.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are you loving telling me GRRM has been hiding a secret behind Hodo or is just Dave Hill trolling me?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

whatever7 posted:

Are you ducking telling me GRRM has been hiding a secret behind Hodo or is just Dave Hill trolling me?

fuckin lol that dave hill is finishing grrms story for him

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

GRRM's greatest twist: Benjen made Hodor retarded.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The danger Bloodraven warns Bran about re: spending too much time in a vision is that you might make people retarded? Was Bloodraven responsible for Orson Lannister's condition too?

Benjen going to the Wall because he felt guilty seems pointless if they're not going to bring him back but that's what's going to happen isn't it.

quote:

"We had an assistant named Dave Hill," said Benioff and Weiss. "One day last summer he walked into our office and said, 'You know that kid (Benjen) whose family gets massacred by the Targaryens? The one who stays at Winterfell while Ned goes to war?' 'Yeah?' 'Well,' said Dave, doesn't it make sense that he'd go to Castle Black and become a Night's Watch recruit? Where else is he going to go?' 'You're right,' we said. 'That does make sense.' 'And what he's the one who ends up making Hodor retarded and that's why he joined the Watch?' This year, Dave Hill is a writer on the show."[3]

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 29, 2016

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Servant: "Lord Kevan, it's Maester Pycelle, he requests your presence in his solar, he says he has news about Jon Snow's uncle Benjen, says he's still alive.
Kevan: *quickly stands up* Are you sure he's talking about Jon's uncle Benjen?
Servant: "Says he was first Ranger, says he knows where to find him"
*Kevan then goes to see Pycelle but is suddenly shot in the chest with a crossbow fired by Varysthe Sand Snakes*

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Ague Proof posted:

The danger Bloodraven warns Bran about re: spending too much time in a vision is that you might make people retarded? Was Bloodraven responsible for Orson Lannister's condition too?

No I think he just means that if you spend too much time in a vision you get "stuck" there or something.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

In a night of forbidden love Benjen hosed Hodor retarded

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

zVxTeflon posted:

quote:

The sound of a door opening, the scream of a rusted hinge. Benjen has come again.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Servant: "Lord Kevan, it's Maester Pycelle, he requests your presence in his solar, he says he has news about Jon Snow's uncle Benjen, says he's still alive.
Kevan: *quickly stands up* Are you sure he's talking about Jon's uncle Benjen?
Servant: "Says he was first Ranger, says he knows where to find him"
*Kevan then goes to see Pycelle but is suddenly shot in the chest with a crossbow fired by Varysthe Sand Snakes*

Dave Hill would have written Bad Pussy's star crossed lover Bronn in the scene. Weak!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

zVxTeflon posted:

You're right, that does make sense.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

zVxTeflon posted:

Benjen is Euron. :eek:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

this_is_hard posted:

first scene of ep2

I wonder if this means that Bran tries to warg into Willas/Walder in the past, maybe trying to warn his father of his fate, and thus "creates" Hodor by breaking his mind. In the books, does he just watch the past while being a tree, or does he actually affect something? I remember him whispering and being heard by... Jon? Theon?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

He doesn't affect anything, at least he can't yet. Whenever his family hear the leaves rustling or think they hear voices it's just Bran from the future, everything plays out exactly the same

I think they're even hinting that the Old Gods don't exist and are actually just more powerful future Tree People speaking to the past

And yeah, it was Theon who heard him most clearly, but he's also thinking about everything he's done, including to Bran, at the time

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When Theon heard Bran, he heard him in real time. So it was medieval walkie talkie, not loving Terminator alternate timeline poo poo.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

There is no alternate timeline

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When we get a more in depth description of the Tower of Joy in the books, I have little doubt that Bran will be the one that distracts that Super Knight or something

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The only time Bran attempts communicating with the past is when he sees Ned whetting Ice under the heart tree (possibly after the execution of Gared in the first book) and the only thing that achieves is Ned going "huh?".

As pointed out, for the rest of his communication there's no cause to think that they're anything but real-time conversations occurring for both participants in the present.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol so GOT is the movie interstellar?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The only time Bran attempts communicating with the past is when he sees Ned whetting Ice under the heart tree (possibly after the execution of Gared in the first book) and the only thing that achieves is Ned going "huh?".

As pointed out, for the rest of his communication there's no cause to think that they're anything but real-time conversations occurring for both participants in the present.

When I read that part in ADWD, I remember thinking it would've cool if the first episode of the show had had Ned reacting to a sudden rustling of the tree he was under to set up exactly that scene further down the line, which is something Martin hadn't done in the first book (presumably because he hadn't thought it up yet). Since the show was produced a bit before the fifth book came out, though, D&D themselves probably didn't know about that particular little detail.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Bran saying Theon through the heart tree is what helps Theon remember his name and decide to escape with Jeyne.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

ruddiger posted:

Benjen is Euron. :eek:

I heard a completely unironic Benjen = Daario theory. And it wasn't even Preston.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So if Rickon is a gift from the Umbers to Ramsey, then perhaps the Smalljon is this Manderlay equivalent they are talking about.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

TK-42-1 posted:

Bran saying Theon through the heart tree is what helps Theon remember his name and decide to escape with Jeyne.

You've also got him in the ravens during the Theon preview chapter yelling his name, and saying Jon Snow in a raven during one of the Jon chapters.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

TK-42-1 posted:

Maybe in the show it will make him decide to go to the Iron Islands.

Seriously, Bran talking to Theon has to be in it, right? That was my favorite chapter in ADWD. Theon absolutely needs to say to the tree how he wishes he would have died at the Red Wedding.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Professor Shark posted:

He doesn't affect anything, at least he can't yet. Whenever his family hear the leaves rustling or think they hear voices it's just Bran from the future, everything plays out exactly the same

I think they're even hinting that the Old Gods don't exist and are actually just more powerful future Tree People speaking to the past

And yeah, it was Theon who heard him most clearly, but he's also thinking about everything he's done, including to Bran, at the time

The Old Gods are just the dead greenseers living a second life in the Weirwood network but that doesn't mean they're not gods. They're just less Biblical and more like Norse and Celtic deities or demigods in that they're not omnipotent and can be killed. Odin for example inspired Bloodraven.

A collective intelligence that can see anything, invade dreams, whisper to people while they're praying and take control of animals sounds like a god to me. They're called a 'godhood' in the books.

I think they also have powers over the afterlife and at least some people, maybe just Northerners or those with latent skinchanging powers, also go into the Weirwoods as they die but maybe they're quickly absorbed and their memories are stored -- could the Tower of Joy scene just be BR and Bran watching Eddard's memory in the absence of Weirwoods? One of the witches north of the wall believes the spirits of all people are sent into the earth and while this could just be a misinterpretaion of skinchanging it could be true, before Varamyr goes into his wolf he seems to get absorbed into nature and at one point appears to be seeing through the nearby Weirwood. I believe when the Three-Eyed Crow brought Ned to speak to Bran and Rickon in the crypts that it was Ned's spirit which Bloodraven was able to summon, as a genuiness kindness. Bran says Ned looked sad and wanted to talk about Jon but it doesn't make sense for BR to make a fake Ned bring this up if he knows Bran won't remember then never bring it up again.

Professor Shark posted:

When we get a more in depth description of the Tower of Joy in the books, I have little doubt that Bran will be the one that distracts that Super Knight or something

It'll be like Being John Malkovich. Bran skinchanges into baby Jon by accident and is trapped there, seeing but not able to do anything, forced to listen to Jon's POV forever.

TK-42-1 posted:

Words are wind.

Oh and the book the Winds of Winter is words so that's perfect as "don't get your hopes up."

Soup du Jour posted:

You've also got him in the ravens during the Theon preview chapter yelling his name, and saying Jon Snow in a raven during one of the Jon chapters.

Everything the raven/crow says is significant like calling Jon 'king.' It's a narrative device but I think it might also be someone skinchanging into it, maybe Bloodraven himself just like Patchface as apparently every dumb character is prophetic (so I guess Hodor means something, maybe in episode 2 we'll find out it's 'Benjen hosed me dumb' in giant .) He was Lord Commander and also a Targaryen so he would want to keep an eye on things, if you read the vows he doesn't seem to have broken any part of the spirit of the oath and he's still wearing that ratty black outfit but maybe there's not much of a choice.

quote:

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

He might have taken the "watcher" "live and die at my post" parts too seriously...

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 29, 2016

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So the Weirwoods are basically Reapers?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

So the Weirwoods are basically Reapers?

I think Bran and One Eye would be the Reapers and the weirwoods are the beacons. I guess that makes Jon the harbinger or something.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

tadashi posted:

I think Bran and One Eye would be the Reapers and the weirwoods are the beacons. I guess that makes Jon the harbinger or something.

That's Tormund.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

tadashi posted:

Is it too late to blame Dave Hill for the ending of Mass Effect 3? Was he ever an assistant at Bioware and suggested having three almost identical endings?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Is it too late to blame Dave Hill for the ending of Mass Effect 3? Was he ever an assistant at Bioware and suggested having three almost identical endings?

"What if we just changed the color of the explosion?"

This year Dave Hill is project coordinator for Dragon Age 4.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I'm pretty sure I read that someone at Bioware wrote that ending in isolation with no input from the rest of the team at all.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
Somebody explain the ME3 ending poo poo because I keep seeing people talk about how bad it was but I don't know anything about the games?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Love Crime posted:

Somebody explain the ME3 ending poo poo because I keep seeing people talk about how bad it was but I don't know anything about the games?

Three identical videos that make no sense but are colored differently depending on which McGuffin you chose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
You could watch the videos of the endings and they would make as much sense to you as anyone who played through all the games.

• Locked thread