Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

There is usually a silverbranch in the guild chest thats useful.

Then get the unique that adds an arrow after that. Deaths harp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
They're already past the Silverbranch point what with being L18 and having a Roth's Reach. Which is potentially superior to Death's Harp, depending on whether it's an elemental auras or phys conversion based LA build. Roth's Reach is way better for ele what with big WED% and free chain. Death's Harp is OK for phys variant.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
afaik you can get easily to t8 maps just with the reach (if you go ele barrage)

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Doctor Goat posted:

I'm doing surprisingly okay in Hardcore on a Lightning Arrow Ranger.

Are there any uniques I should hunt down in trading for levelling/farming? i'm level 18 right now and aside from a roth's reach and a meginord someone gave me my gear is pretty awful.

Not really. That bow can last a long time, since much of your damage will come from aura/herald. You don't need any particular uniques. You could buy a Goldrim to make capping resists easier until you can start buying endgame gear. Then again, a decent Goldrim will probably run you 3-5 chaos, and you can use that to buy multiple good leveling rares at 1alch-1chaos instead.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

So I guess instead of a race season for this league they are doing a 2 week race with a bunch of different prize drawings: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1655464. Guess I need to hit 100 by then. My plan is to make another EQ guy since I feel like I can really do well with the build considering how much I have played it, but I am wondering if I should stick with Juggernaut or go Champion for the race. Personally, I think Juggernaut is the better class, but in a 2 week race I don't know how likely it will be that I get a good 5L to run Poisonquake since if I go Juggernaut I wouldn't have room for a poison gem with only 4 links due to using Fortify gem. Of course, there are probably a lot more people who are going to play Champion than Juggernaut, so maybe my chances of getting cool stuff would still be better with Juggs. Anyone else planning on participating, and if so what are you planning on running? Also, I am going to try Hardcore for this, but if I die (more like when) I will probably reroll in the standard competition because I feel like I can probably get to 80 fairly quickly which is the highest level you need to hit to be eligible for all the prize drawings.

soscannonballs fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 29, 2016

Nezkar
Nov 6, 2012

soscannonballs posted:

So I guess instead of a race season for this league they are doing a 2 week race with a bunch of different prize drawings: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1655464. Guess I need to hit 100 by then. My plan is to make another EQ guy since I feel like I can really do well with the build considering how much I have played it, but I am wondering if I should stick with Juggernaut or go Champion for the race. Personally, I think Juggernaut is the better class, but in a 2 week race I don't know how likely it will be that I get a good 5L to run Poisonquake since if I go Juggernaut I wouldn't have room for a poison gem with only 4 links due to using Fortify gem. Of course, there are probably a lot more people who are going to play Champion than Juggernaut, so maybe my chances of getting cool stuff would still be better with Juggs. Anyone else planning on participating, and if so what are you planning on running? Also, I am going to try Hardcore for this, but if I die (more like when) I will probably reroll in the standard competition because I feel like I can probably get to 80 fairly quickly which is the highest level you need to hit to be eligible for all the prize drawings.

I was thinking about playing in it - I didn't really enjoy how grindy it got after 93 tho. I'd be down to play something more group friendly like a MF culler tho. I don't think i'd wanna go hard solo

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I think I will go Juggernaut actually, I just remembered I can use Snakebite to give myself poison since I run Blood Rage anyway.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
that is the most boring and lazy race league ever what the chris

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm not going to be the top 25 of any ascendency so I'm unlikely to play this race.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Oh, it's per ascendancy for the demis? I'm slightly more interested now.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vasudus posted:

I'm not going to be the top 25 of any ascendency so I'm unlikely to play this race.

wicked same

god bless the unemployed though, glhf

Elerion
May 31, 2011
Two week league with zero special rulesets and rewards I can just buy for $2 instead, how fun!

Way to make something that has zero appeal to anyone but college kids and streamers.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They could have done something crazy like given you 25k coins on character creation but made them untradable. Or done perandus + rotating league mods. Or some sort of gold themed MTX as the reward for getting to 85 or something.

It's so incredibly low effort I can only hope that 2.3 makes up for it.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
What's the least popular ascendancy? Or I guess second least popular as everybody else will have the same idea.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Champion is definitely the least popular :v:

edit: This breakdown of Ascendancies is from a month ago, can't find anything more recent.

edit 2: You could go on the ladder pages, grab the CSV files and do a breakdown by that, except the stupid thing only exports the class and not the Ascendancy, which the webpage shows :bang:

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 29, 2016

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

gonadic io posted:

What's the least popular ascendancy? Or I guess second least popular as everybody else will have the same idea.

Slayer, Guardian, and Pathfinder are the least popular.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Can probably make something descent out of Slayer since it gives you a free melee splash. Viper Strike???

Guardian probably requires a shavs though, so you would presumably have to farm up a lot.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
To be fair Guardian is such a massive defence multiplier that if you were running in a group they'd likely help you buy a shav's.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I might try a blade vortex (or coc ek) herbalist then, a free poison gem is pretty nice. See if I can't farm up a Bino's while hitting my surgeon's flasks as much as I possibly can at all times.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Budgie posted:

To be fair Guardian is such a massive defence multiplier that if you were running in a group they'd likely help you buy a shav's.

Shavs are also not as costly as they used to be iirc.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Yes but in a 2week race it is a considerable advantage to have so you could extort a couple extra ex out of people.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You would have to farm up 5.5-7.5k coins to get it, or pool enough currency. It's not an impossible thing, certainly not within a group, but you're talking about best case having it in 3-4 days in a 2 week race.

I might actually try something with a Slayer build if I'm bored enough.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Awesome! posted:

yeah i was actually thinking of doing something like this.

want to set up a time for this weekend to try and let anyone whos interested get in?

Doesn't look like anyone else is super interested, Just message me ingame at Katasa. I should be online during the day for the next few days.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Vasudus posted:

You would have to farm up 5.5-7.5k coins to get it, or pool enough currency. It's not an impossible thing, certainly not within a group, but you're talking about best case having it in 3-4 days in a 2 week race.

I might actually try something with a Slayer build if I'm bored enough.

Just be the first one to scam some idiot out of all of his coins.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Someone's been helpful: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/4h0167/ladder_rank_phc_of_25_of_each_class/

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Viper Strike - Multistrike - Melee Physical Damage - Void Manipulation - ??? - ???

Wouldn't need splash since Slayer gets it for free. Maybe Melee Damage on Full Life since I'll be leeching a ton, and it won't turn off when I'm at full?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Less Duration?

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

If you want to run the Viper Strike threshold jewel, maybe Faster Attacks.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What builds are people running as champion? I kind of maybe wanna make a spectral throw champion dude, not for the race or anything but just for regular perandus

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Bob NewSCART posted:

What builds are people running as champion?

everything that doesn't use spells, fortify is so strong you can not fail to be endgame ready

the most successful is voltaxic lighting arrow/blast rain

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Vasudus posted:

Viper Strike - Multistrike - Melee Physical Damage - Void Manipulation - ??? - ???

Wouldn't need splash since Slayer gets it for free. Maybe Melee Damage on Full Life since I'll be leeching a ton, and it won't turn off when I'm at full?

Less Duration+Rapid Decay?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

The Real Foogla posted:

everything that doesn't use spells

Or anything that uses spells. Champion anything is legit on HC.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Vasudus posted:

Don't use Void Manipulation unless you're using Ming's Heart and/or an Added Chaos Damage Gem. Don't use Growing Agony unless you're doing over 8 attacks a second AND doing an okay amount of elemental damage (aka don't loving do it without a one handed sword)
If you're playing HC I'd go with one of two builds personally:
Regular: Viper Strike - Multistrike - MPD - Fortify - Blind - Faster Attacks or Added Chaos or Hypothermia (with hatred)
Maraketh Hanzo Steel (harder to gear for): Viper Strike - Multistrike - MPD - Increased Critical Strikes - Fortify - Increased Crit Multiplier or Faster Attacks or Hypothermia (with Hatred)

Literally every Slayer path but Endless Hunger has a ton of utility for Viper Strike. Consider doing a different path since Impact's aoe is significantly smaller than a high level melee splash gem.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Pooncha posted:

Less Duration+Rapid Decay?

Less Duration is terrible. It actually reduces your overall damage with Viper Strike.

Fortify is mandatory, more important than Melee Phys Damage or Multistrike.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Oh man I have no idea what just almost exploded me and it is agitating me.

I thought it was Kole in the Lunarian Temple that did it, but after he went down a little yellow monster did it to me again.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Doctor Goat posted:

I thought it was Kole in the Lunarian Temple that did it, but after he went down a little yellow monster did it to me again.

You can mouse over it after you're dead. It's possible Kole almost killed you the first time and then you got poo poo on by a doc with damage bonuses casting detonate dead on Kole's corpse?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Doctor Goat posted:

If it was in Kole's room, he always has a couple of these guys in there, and they cast detonate dead.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I didn't die, thankfully. I'll be on the lookout for Detonate Dead stuff in the future.

I've never gotten hooked by a Diablo clone this hard before.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Hey on the note of 2H sword Viper Strike if anyone wants something ridiculous to try:

Here is a bad 2H Sword Witch tree. Edge of Madness as the weapon.

Main skill is Viper Strike - Melee Splash - Added Chaos Damage - Void Manipulation - Fortify - Multistrike. Sovereignty lets you run Blasphemy Warmark + Temp Chains + Discipline. I think you need Warmark to sustain mana at all, though you could technically live without the life leech from it because of Vile Bastion. The jewel sockets next to the life nodes are for life -> ES jewels of course, and you probably end up with like 400 int and 300% increased ES on the tree, so you should have no trouble getting 10k ES. I don't have a clue how good the actual damage will be but in theory it should be acceptable. Also make no mistake you're only making this build because the Witch's animation for using a 2H Sword is good and no one ever gets to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

My dumb idea for a Slayer was a bow perma-stun build, because how is that not the obvious conclusion to jump to? Tree would besomething like this. With Heavy Draw, Stun Mastery, and a Lioneye's Fall gem near Bone Breaker, you can get 29% reduced enemy stun treshold, and Slayer gives another 5% in addition to all the silly bonuses from Overwhelm. The Lioneye's Fall also turns all those melee crit nodes into bow crit nodes, which combined with King of the Hill and Lethality gives +337% crit chance and +104% crit multi. Maybe use Empire's Grasp to reverse the KotH knockback for maximum Point Blank damage. I want to say Ice Shot would be the best skill due to chilled ground.

Ultima66 posted:

Also make no mistake you're only making this build because the Witch's animation for using a 2H Sword is good and no one ever gets to see it.
Oh hey, speaking of 2H sword witches, that was my other dumb idea: Oro's Lightning Strike Elementalist. Basically, Elementalist gives you a truckload of elemental damage, but it also gives you Mastermind of Discord, which gives you 20% fire penetration if you've used a lightning skill recently. So if you happen to use Lightning Strike with a weapon that does pure fire damage, you just get 20% fire pen all the time. And since it's a lightning skill, it also triggers Orb of Storms, which deals lightning damage... which means you could use Elemental Equilibrium. (Except it just occured to me that you couldn't use Anger this way, which sucks, and maybe it is even more terrible of an idea than I already thought it was.) I guess there's no reason you couldn't use Static Strike instead. Or Wild Strike, the best skill in the game.

• Locked thread