Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

sector_corrector posted:

Most players need phantoms to make any sort of progress in the game, and have no interest in losing a scarce resource that's their only real way to beat bosses (ember). They don't see invasions as fun, they see them as a roadblock to ever making progress. I don't like it either, but it's understandable given the nature of the game and the influx of new, unskilled players.

Yeah for sure let the noobs phantom up. It's the invaders that can't handle losing a 1v1 and blacksep out when they run out of Estus, or the hosts that sit at the bonfire and just get taxied through.

Victory is pyrrhic when you ignore defeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I know he not that hard, but what is with my bad luck with Old Demon King. His drat club always magically targets me and knocks me into near death, usually with a quick attack to kill me. Even when I summon he always targets me and gets me with the club attack that ignores the shield.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Assuming that pyro damage is based on the minimum of int and faith, it seems kind of unfair compared to sorceries and miracles, which need only one or the other. You have to give up a lot of points that those characters could put into another stat.

I was wondering about the weapon buffs also - I have the fire and dark buff, but the only weapons I can actually use one-handed are short and longswords as my strength and dex are at a minimum. Is is still advantage to buff a raw weapon instead of doing a chaos infusion?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Tallgeese posted:

http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?p=5665947#5665947

Welp. Figures this would get out.

(He does this a lot and yes it is on purpose. Very annoying guy since DS2 who piggybacks on people who know what they're doing but can't keep their mouths shut.)

And this time there will be no Watchdog to block the fun stuff, so...

I'm sure the odds of me ever running into someone who does that would be really low, but I can't help but be a little paranoid based on what I've heard about the game's anti-cheat detection. :ohdear:

It probably sounds silly but I feel like I'd be more comfortable with no anti-cheat over what they have, because at least then I know I'd be free to fix whatever damage a cheater could do to me. As it is now, I feel like my only option would be to instantly nuke my entire save file as soon as I notice something's wrong and hope I don't get softbanned in the meantime.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Xenolalia posted:

Ah thank you! This is super interesting, my knowledge of this era of writing is very limited.

Essentially, precocious princes go back a long time in East Asian cultures, and Gwyndolin/Lothric are an extension of this

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That's pretty much what DS1 was, yeah. You could just resurrect the dead NPC, flip a world flag to revive the boss, whatever. No lasting damage. Especially not with Watchdog.

Here, you're hosed. I don't think statdrain is actually functional at least, though I may have just missed a number.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

dromer posted:

What's your build? I was planning on doing a caestus run after I finish my first one.

It's pretty simple, got strength to 30/35 (you'll get the strength bonus for 2hing a weapon when you dual wield them, no need to take it all the way to 40 or even to 35 really) and I've been slowly building my vig/vit/end up to 20 in order to increase survivability. It's probably safe to stop building vit when you've got enough for fashion, your gloves, and a secondary weapon of your choice like a crossbow for pulling or a faith implement or a shield with the FP regaining upgrade or whatever

As for equipment, you're going to be getting hit a lot, its the nature of your miserable range, so armor helps. Some kind of ranged weapon to poke things you don't want to get close to or to single-out tough enemies is nice. I put heavy on my caestus because I'm not focusing on dex at all but it doesn't make a terrible amount of difference, honestly, put whatever you want.

As for actual tactics for killing things, check my post history, got a lot of videos and webms of me killin' people. Mostly PvP but it works the same in PvE.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
So whatever happened to the concept of Humanity in the Dark Souls world after the first game? It just kind of upped and vanished, never to be mentioned again, despite being such a central thing in Dark Souls 1. It's not like it was just a gameplay mechanic. Darkwraiths existed to go devour Humanity off of other people and the Abyss was full of Humanity ghosts.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
No hp? No estus? No Divine Blessing? No ember?

Praise the sun.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

It's pretty simple, got strength to 30/35 (you'll get the strength bonus for 2hing a weapon when you dual wield them, no need to take it all the way to 40 or even to 35 really) and I've been slowly building my vig/vit/end up to 20 in order to increase survivability. It's probably safe to stop building vit when you've got enough for fashion, your gloves, and a secondary weapon of your choice like a crossbow for pulling or a faith implement or a shield with the FP regaining upgrade or whatever

As for equipment, you're going to be getting hit a lot, its the nature of your miserable range, so armor helps. Some kind of ranged weapon to poke things you don't want to get close to or to single-out tough enemies is nice. I put heavy on my caestus because I'm not focusing on dex at all but it doesn't make a terrible amount of difference, honestly, put whatever you want.

As for actual tactics for killing things, check my post history, got a lot of videos and webms of me killin' people. Mostly PvP but it works the same in PvE.

Huh? AFAIK Dual Wielding doesn't give you the strength boost for damage, only for wield requirements.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Nohman posted:

So whatever happened to the concept of Humanity in the Dark Souls world after the first game? It just kind of upped and vanished, never to be mentioned again, despite being such a central thing in Dark Souls 1. It's not like it was just a gameplay mechanic. Darkwraiths existed to go devour Humanity off of other people and the Abyss was full of Humanity ghosts.

look closely and you'll see that embers are flaming humanities for special snowflake undead (ashen ones, unkindled, etc) instead of your regular old hollow

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Hey, what happens if, when you meet Patches in the cathedral, you just kill him before crossing the bridge?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Cyberventurer posted:

I'm sure the odds of me ever running into someone who does that would be really low, but I can't help but be a little paranoid based on what I've heard about the game's anti-cheat detection. :ohdear:

It probably sounds silly but I feel like I'd be more comfortable with no anti-cheat over what they have, because at least then I know I'd be free to fix whatever damage a cheater could do to me. As it is now, I feel like my only option would be to instantly nuke my entire save file as soon as I notice something's wrong and hope I don't get softbanned in the meantime.

1) Make a new steam account

2) Use steam family sharing to share the game to that account

3) Play on that account

4) If someone gets you banned via hacking, start over at 1)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Nohman posted:

It was in DS2, Humanity = Dark = Want or what have you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Perfect Potato posted:

PvP in all these games is a miserable experience in general but I have no idea why you'd be dried fingering just so you can chuck poo poo while your phantom does all the work, then when that phantom dies flail around and disconnect (connection error) the instant you run out of vials and hp (sub 100). When you invade a guy with the name Artorias you kind of expect a little more than that right?

No that is exactly what I would expect from someone with that name.

Artorias cosplayers, and now Abyss Watcher cosplayers, almost always suck.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mazerunner posted:

Hey, what happens if, when you meet Patches in the cathedral, you just kill him before crossing the bridge?

Well you won't be able to do the Siegward quest line

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

1) Make a new steam account

2) Use steam family sharing to share the game to that account

3) Play on that account

4) If someone gets you banned via hacking, start over at 1)

We don't know yet if From will ban you for transferring a save. They may or may not.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Has anybody spotted any potential DLC warp point spots? Dark Souls 2 made it kind of obvious what with the huge altars surrounded by pillars with text on them, but I have not found any places that scream "this is how you will get to the DLC" as of yet in 3.

edit: There is that random ornate gold statue near the first bonfire in the High Wall of Lothric, maybe that could be something?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Tallgeese posted:

We don't know yet if From will ban you for transferring a save. They may or may not.

I never told him to transfer a save

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I never told him to transfer a save

I suppose not; it would be nice if he could continue his character from a backup though.

It was basically an excuse to warn them not to try it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

actionjackson posted:

Well you won't be able to do the Siegward quest line

Well I meant if the bridge would lower, but that too, I guess. Although if you're in NG+ and on you should have a spare set of armour lying around...

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
You guys are talking about me as if I'm already banned. :( I just meant it hypothetically!

But yeah, I figured that HYPOTHETICALLY I wouldn't be allowed to keep my save, since it being tainted would have been why someone would get softbanned in the first place.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

CJacobs posted:

Has anybody spotted any potential DLC warp point spots? Dark Souls 2 made it kind of obvious what with the huge altars surrounded by pillars with text on them, but I have not found any places that scream "this is how you will get to the DLC" as of yet in 3.

edit: There is that random ornate gold statue near the first bonfire in the High Wall of Lothric, maybe that could be something?

Perhaps the anor lando demons will take you somewhere else besides the undead settlement?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Nohman posted:

I'm pretty sure it's still around, I think some of the Dark spells talk about how they're basically powered by humanity or something to that effect. It's just that unkindled seem to work on different rules compared to "normal" undead and don't hollow out after they get killed (unless they have a dark sigil). Embers seem to be less "replacing what was lost" like humanity used to be and more of a straight power-up.

Edit: VVV Shrine of Winter was in the game from the start, you're right about all the other ones though.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 29, 2016

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

CJacobs posted:

Those things in DS2 weren't there until the DLC came out!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i really enjoy hitting things with a gigantic axe

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
The dark damage resin is literally "Human Pine Resin." A lot of the dark spells/items hint at it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Cyberventurer posted:

You guys are talking about me as if I'm already banned. :( I just meant it hypothetically!

But yeah, I figured that HYPOTHETICALLY I wouldn't be allowed to keep my save, since it being tainted would have been why someone would get softbanned in the first place.

I'm just saying if you're worried do it now, so you don't lose the ability to play on your main account if you want to.

You'll get back to where you were better, and faster, in much less time anyway.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Xenolalia posted:

Perhaps the anor lando demons will take you somewhere else besides the undead settlement?

This was the one reference that actually annoyed me. Like, what is the point? In the first game you get ferried above an incredibly high wall and were greeted with an amazing view, so your extraordinary entrance felt appropriate. It was something the game built up too. So then they remind you of that by having the same exact thing happen, only now the demons are just carrying you over a lovely broken wall to drop you off at a random village because that's just what they are doing now?

Maybe I'm just bitter that they don't even show up as enemies so you can get their weird spears.

Space Hamlet posted:

Those things in DS2 weren't there until the DLC came out!

The Shrine of Winter was, but you're correct about the other two only being added later.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i went from "pvp in this game is stupid, everything is weighted towards the host and it's all deliberately designed to create stalemates" to "all of that is still true but holy poo poo i just death-from-above'd a sunbro and then caught him and the host in a combo that killed them both without taking a scratch myself, this is AWESOME" in the space of a couple nights

please send help

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

i really enjoy hitting things with a gigantic axe

Same

I've been playing around with the Burger King Greataxe and Yhorm's Machete but I always end up back with the greataxe because it just feels so good to hit poo poo with it

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Can someone help me with this? Sorry, I didn't really read the thread.

I stopped playing for a few days because I was rather ill and honestly I don't want to play the game if I'm not streaming, but I came back today to continue my SL1 100% run and was greeted by this:

So I did some research while streaming, and some people claimed that unplugging their controller removed the message. No go. I backed up my data and deleted it from %appdata%, no go, same thing. So I deleted the entire game and reinstalled it, and it still gives me the same message at startup. It says I would be penalized but it's doing nothing but giving me the same message over and over so ???. I put my backed up save into my appdata folder and I could still load my characters though, so I played for 2-3 hours. I did hear someone say that emulators could be the cause, and I was using an Android emulator (Droid4x) to play a different game, does anyone know anything about that?

I contacted a Bandai Namco rep on Twitter so hopefully they can help me out. One of my viewers said they've heard of this and that it's possibly a false positive or a bug (?).

Am I going to get banned? I would hate to lose my progress because I'm 25 hours into a 100% SL1 run and it's on point. Almost all of my PC gameplay is on my Twitch. You can watch all of it @ http://twitch.tv/elixir68k if you like, the only parts I didn't stream was some Ember grinding in the Perimeter (because nobody wants to watch a SL1 kill Black Knights for Embers) and a few fetch quests, like trading stuff to pump-a-rum.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

hard counter posted:

look closely and you'll see that embers are flaming humanities for special snowflake undead (ashen ones, unkindled, etc) instead of your regular old hollow

:monocle:

I guess I thought they looked more like dirty estus shards or something without thinking about it very hard.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Internet Kraken posted:

This was the one reference that actually annoyed me. Like, what is the point? In the first game you get ferried above an incredibly high wall and were greeted with an amazing view, so your extraordinary entrance felt appropriate. It was something the game built up too. So then they remind you of that by having the same exact thing happen, only now the demons are just carrying you over a lovely broken wall to drop you off at a random village because that's just what they are doing now?

Maybe I'm just bitter that they don't even show up as enemies so you can get their weird spears.

Yeah it seemed like maybe they were supposed to show up again later? Idk, their appearance seems very cut/rushed.

Also, side note, everyone else agrees that Aldrich's/Pontiff's lore is meant to seem really gross and like rape-y, correct? Because that's definitely what I was getting from most of the item descriptions.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Am I missing something but is the raw Astora Straight Sword better than a raw dark sword?

It is, because all that matters for raw infusion is base AR. It's got something like the 5th best base AR in the game, with criminally low stat requirements, and you can get it within minutes of starting a new game. Its main downside is that it has bad scaling, so it's pretty much made for raw infusion. So far all the speedruns I've seen have used the raw rear end.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

It is, because all that matters for raw infusion is base AR. It's got something like the 5th best base AR in the game, with criminally low stat requirements, and you can get it within minutes of starting a new game. Its main downside is that it has bad scaling, so it's pretty much made for raw infusion. So far all the speedruns I've seen have used the raw rear end.

It seems that Any% uses Astora's, whereas All Bosses uses Anri's. My guess is that you have to go out of your way to visit Archdragon Peak to get enough Twinkling Titanite to get Anri's to +4, hence why it's not efficient in Any% to use it.

Megalixir posted:

Can someone help me with this? Sorry, I didn't really read the thread.

Did you do any offline play before you started receiving that message? Some people have been reporting that they started receiving that message after going offline and moving things around in their item box or otherwise acquiring items that the server then picks up on the next time they log on.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 29, 2016

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Was magic buffed or nerfed, and which magic in what ways? These vague patch notes are terrible

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

LibbyM posted:

Was magic buffed or nerfed, and which magic in what ways? These vague patch notes are terrible

Nerfed: Great Chaos Fire Orb and Affinity

Japanese patch notes are notoriously terrible, it's not just Fromsoft

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I thought I would try out cheesing Dancer with an invincible Sword Master since I was getting a new character off the ground.

I died 3 times I can't even cheese a boss correctly what is wrong with me. I'm going to go sit in a corner and think about my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Brannock posted:

Nerfed: Great Chaos Fire Orb and Affinity

That's not so bad I guess.