Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

FrostyPox posted:

What's the unreleased model? Kruellagh the Vile (still my favorite 40K special character name :colbert:)

EDIT: Oh, wait, Kruellah the Vile did get a model, didn't she? Then what's the unreleased one?

It's one of a few test figures that got sculpted as proof of concepts for the DE range. There are a bunch of them on the collectors market because GW used to sell them at various places, occasionally give them away and sometimes have them available through promotions (see also: the admech figs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

I really love this guy

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Moola posted:

I really love this guy

He's coming over for a friendly hug

Why isn't there a company making BT minis that look good?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

Isn't it a bit more complex than that? I was under the impression that Harmony Gold, who owned Macross, and FASA both licensed the designs from the same company. Or at least FASA thought they had. Harmony Gold have may been the exclusive holder and FASA had no idea it was infringing. This was fine for years until Harmony Gold caught wind of it, possibly because of FASA's own aggressive protection of the designs, and decided to put the legal boot to FASA. This lead to a years long legal dispute between FASA and Harmony Gold which FASA simply didn't have the money or expertise to deal with. In the end, it was easier to remove the designs from future publications.
I thought the story was that they licensed it from Harmony Gold, but there was a small wrinkle in that Harmony Gold did not have permission to license out their licensed properties to other people like that?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah from a bit of googling it seems a lot of it is hearsay and rumors stitched together from contradicting insider statements and legal documents.
Ah, it's one of those situations. :can:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Improbable Lobster posted:

Why isn't there a company making BT minis that look good?

Dreampod9 has Heavy Gear still and those look relatively nice and could sub in I suppose, but BattleTech minis based off the original illustrations will always be bad because the illustrations were bad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

signalnoise posted:

Dreampod9 has Heavy Gear still and those look relatively nice and could sub in I suppose, but BattleTech minis based off the original illustrations will always be bad because the illustrations were bad.

Thanks http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/battletech-technical-3025/1/

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

They look like someone practicing technical drawing wanted to try something harder than cube, cylinder, cone, sphere, and just jammed a shitload of them together to make mechs.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Those Battletech illustrations always put me in the mind of early, early polygon-based 3D video games. I'm talking Alone in the Dark, Starfox 1, Virtua Fighter sorta things.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Zereth posted:

I thought the story was that they licensed it from Harmony Gold, but there was a small wrinkle in that Harmony Gold did not have permission to license out their licensed properties to other people like that?

Ah, it's one of those situations. :can:

FASA absolutely never licensed from Harmony Gold. At best, Harmony Gold and FASA both licensed from a 3rd party rights holder. At worst, FASA licensed from someone who probably didn't have the rights in the first place.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

diarmuidqq posted:

They look like someone practicing technical drawing wanted to try something harder than cube, cylinder, cone, sphere, and just jammed a shitload of them together to make mechs.

Given that the wargaming industry has always been niche, and that this stuff is something like 30 years old, this is probably what happened.

Rules writers needed art, found a student who could produce something saleable at a budget they could scrape together and then proceeded to churn out designs by the dozen.

I always felt that battletech had a chunky charm and the technical drawing style was a great fit for it. Had they gone for a fine art approach most of this stuff would have fallen flat. Now it looks dated as hell but it worked for them at the time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The urbanmech is still a classic though. Cant go wrong with a walking trashcan.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It was good enough for Star Wars.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
All astromechs would be improved by the addition of an oversized autocannon tbh.

There is a fair bit of cool retro in the BT designs, but far more WTF. MWO may have its failings, but their art team have done a good job of updating stuff.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

I used to get knockoffs of those little peach MUSCLE figures from the quarter machines at the grocery store, And I swear, over half of them were based off those mechs.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

:goonsay:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I'll never understand the bizarre reverence BT fans have for duane loose's mech designs.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I'll never understand the bizarre reverence BT fans have for duane loose's mech designs.

There's a wonky charm to them. Those blocky old lineart drawings capture a nostalgic time and a place for me, same as the old lineart you'd see in D&D and Warhammer rulebooks.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SRM posted:

There's a wonky charm to them. Those blocky old lineart drawings capture a nostalgic time and a place for me, same as the old lineart you'd see in D&D and Warhammer rulebooks.

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I used to get knockoffs of those little peach MUSCLE figures from the quarter machines at the grocery store, And I swear, over half of them were based off those mechs.

I think the mall near me used to have those

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

FASA absolutely never licensed from Harmony Gold. At best, Harmony Gold and FASA both licensed from a 3rd party rights holder. At worst, FASA licensed from someone who probably didn't have the rights in the first place.

They licensed from two different companies was the problem. Studio Nue is a design house that contains the people who designed the robots reused in battletech, and is who FASA got the license from. They also did designs for the Japanese published edition.

Harmony gold did business with the studios that produced the actual animations and had franchise rights.

They're both valid licenses because nue had rights to the visual designs, but courts decided in Harmony Golds favor.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 29, 2016

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I like those unbelievably clunky and goofy Mechs. They scream 80s to me for whatever reason and they're great.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I only got into mechs with Mechwarrior IV Mercenaries (I had played Mechcommander earlier, but I was far too young) so I hold no particular nostalgic value for older designs.

Jaguar and Uziel FTW, go jump jets or go home.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Man that OSTSCOUT was one groovy fuckin Mech.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bought some cheap painting supplies and plan to attempt painting this weekend assuming I can find my starship trooper figs. I have a couple dozen warrior bugs I can practice on. I have no doubt it's going to look bad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

AndyElusive posted:

Man that OSTSCOUT was one groovy fuckin Mech.

Keep on 'meching

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think the mall near me used to have those

EDIT: Sonovabeaten.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

Except that the old John Blanche artworks are actually you know... really good?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

SRM posted:

Oh, for sure, but there's this weird fundamentalism when it comes to comparing him and any of the other artists.

Which is, like, okay sure, a lot of the art up until the mid aughts was really bad.

But a lot of that was his, too.

Then again I'm one of those people who just does not care for Errol Otus.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Sharkopath posted:

They licensed from two different companies was the problem. Studio Nue is a design house that contains the people who designed the robots reused in battletech, and is who FASA got the license from. They also did designs for the Japanese published edition.

Harmony gold did business with the studios that produced the actual animations and had franchise rights.

They're both valid licenses because nue had rights to the visual designs, but courts decided in Harmony Golds favor.

This is definitely a version of the truth but I don't know that it will ever be confirmed as exactly what happened.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I got the three in one Battletech PC game collection in like 1996 that had the two Crescent Hawk games and Mechwarrior 1, but included in the box was this thick as hell manual with dozens of mechs in it. It held a real special place in my heart for a long time, especially because it got me through living in Malaysia for a year as a kid without any real friends, but then I lent it to a friend and moved away. He kept promising to mail it to me, but he never did.

In any case, I don't know that I can look at the old designs objectively. They're too much a part of my childhood running around our compound with my dogs pretending to hunt the monkeys as a Jenner.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Holy poo poo...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-40k-painted-Eldar-Guardian-Jetbike-/371580814152?hash=item5683f14348:g:izsAAOSwxp9W8CiZ

Same guy, thankfully not KKK, but what did he paint it with, sand?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-4...%3D371580814152

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

jadebullet posted:

Same guy, thankfully not KKK, but what did he paint it with, sand?

Have you not heard of textured paint you loving heathen?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

It's meant to be a creature of molten metal, so it shouldn't surprise you to see that the paint appears to be blistering and melting off it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Z the IVth posted:

Except that the old John Blanche artworks are actually you know... really good?
Oh yeah, they are, but there's a lot of 80s artwork that, while not exactly good from a technical standpoint, is really charming to me.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
That's a pretty bold drawing considering what was going on at the time.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
MARINES LOL

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I agree, there is definitely some real character to those old pictures.

Colonial Air Force posted:

That's a pretty bold drawing considering what was going on at the time.

I couldn't imagine a modern GW printing something like that back then, haha.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
"Hey games workshop, are you going to make any new models?"

GW posted:

MARINES LOL

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Who needs Forgeworld

Adbot