Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The funniest thing about Warlord sculpted infantry is almost half of them look like someone has just squeezed their balls really hard or are posed like they're trying to do it to someone else.

I wanted to run a Black Death list but then I saw how much £££ I'd have to shell out to run it and went gently caress that.

I want my little black hat mans. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

moths posted:

I would accept this because the 1:700 model is farther away from the table. I've never forgiven Battlefront for making 1:144 airplanes closer to the observer than 1:100 ground forces. That's not how perspective works! If anything, they should be using 1/76 so it looks right when viewed from above.

That's why you should use telescoping rod stands for airplanes, so they end up 2-3 feet above eye level when you play. That and it looks really cool

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

YF19pilot posted:

If I go 17th century, I'll probably go Northern Wars and get By Fire and Sword to satisfy my ancestral Polish-Cossack blood. Though I'm sure Sharp Practice would be a good segue into that, too, so that's making it seem like a good deal.

If you're modeling for both Fire and Sword and Sharp Practice you should be set for just about any rules you care to pick up at that point, because ostensibly your mans would have a tray and also free bases.

Do it. Doooooo it. Commission up your mercenary captains and take to the field in the fanciest of leggings and feathered hats. Post your work.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

tallkidwithglasses posted:

If you're modeling for both Fire and Sword and Sharp Practice you should be set for just about any rules you care to pick up at that point, because ostensibly your mans would have a tray and also free bases.

Do it. Doooooo it. Commission up your mercenary captains and take to the field in the fanciest of leggings and feathered hats. Post your work.

Ha, yeah, that'd be great. Otherwise, I will have to dig around. By Fire and Sword is Battlefront/FoW level of expensive to get started it seems.

Sharp Practice + a bunch of Perry 28mm mans seems pretty cheap by comparison.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Hey, Serotonin, you mentioned earlier that you have a bunch of Osprey manuals as :filez: With minis starting to come in, I'm looking for painting/color tips for various WW2 North Africa forces. Willing to help a brother out with a couple of jpgs?

Ilor fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 28, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Perry stuff is amazingly good value for everything you get so I'm not surprised.

moths posted:

The WGF Soviets are great for a number of reasons. Besides women soldiers, you also get enough extra detailed parts that you can make a PSC 28mm box look awesome.

I would accept this because the 1:700 model is farther away from the table. I've never forgiven Battlefront for making 1:144 airplanes closer to the observer than 1:100 ground forces. That's not how perspective works! If anything, they should be using 1/76 so it looks right when viewed from above.

I think it's meant to be that they look smaller to the people on the ground, since you're measuring stand-to-plane to shoot at them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

Solution: build and paint cool artillery pieces. Place them off the table, like in your kitchen or on a shelf or something. Then you can role play your observers calling in the artillery strikes, AND you can make the little explosion noises, AND have a realistic depiction of artillery in the game.

I'd totally build a 1:700 scale battleship and put it in a tub of water if my list allowed me to field naval bombardment. :black101:
My D-Day US Rangers will be supported by a 1:3000 cruiser that I'll just leave sitting on the side of the table. Forced perspective FTW! :pseudo:

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

JcDent posted:

Why am I surprised, BA has everything (except for a decent range of plastics).

Man no

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Otisburg posted:

Does either FoW or BA have Anti-Tank dogs?

I would have figured this to be clearly in the "That Guy" range of disgusting things social inept basement dwellers find entertaining but regular folks find horrifying.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Numlock posted:

I would have figured this to be clearly in the "That Guy" range of disgusting things social inept basement dwellers find entertaining but regular folks find horrifying.

How many mounted cavalry models do you have?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Colonial Air Force posted:

How many mounted cavalry models do you have?

There is a whole world of difference between the two that should be obvious to anybody with any sense though you could certainly object to both.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Numlock posted:

If you wanna get all moralistic about it, the whole idea of reducing pretty much any aspect of any war, much less the frickin' Ostfront, to a game of rolling dice and playing with little dolls is socially inept basement dweller trivialization of something horrifying?

I thought the ill-fated anti-tank pups were a relatively little known darkly fascinating part of a darkly fascinating theater of a darkly fascinating war. :shrug:

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
In spite of my question about 6mm earlier I've decided to dive into Sharp Practice ACW instead. With the caveat that instead of Union vs Confederate I'll be going Union vs. Perry's British Intervention Force. My summer job will be as a re-enactor at Fort Henry in Kingston, ON, representing a british trooper, so I couldn't resist painting up an army of minimes. The line infantry in kilmarnocks look near spot on to our uniforms, except we wear shell jackets instead of frock coats and as an 1867 unit we use Snider-Enfield cartridge rifles.

I want to do some rebels too but maybe instead of the usual ANV I'll do some anti-lincoln northern militia fighting for and armed by the brits. The idea of grey-coated infantry in snappy, well-done blue-grey instead of the ramshackle look is appealing.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Has anyone tried the Blood Eagle Dark Age skirmish rules? They seem really interesting, and only needing around 10 28mm dudes per side is convenient.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Flipswitch posted:

The funniest thing about Warlord sculpted infantry is almost half of them look like someone has just squeezed their balls really hard or are posed like they're trying to do it to someone else.

I wanted to run a Black Death list but then I saw how much £££ I'd have to shell out to run it and went gently caress that.

I want my little black hat mans. :(

In case you didn't know Old Glory makes Morskaya under their Boxer Rebellion range. It's troops from the WWI era obviously but the uniform is basically the same. They also make some ones in greatcoats for the Berlin or Bust WWII range. Also for the most part they wore a pretty generic sailor uniform, so if you're going with 28mm there are a grip of different sailors you could use. The German Sailors from Brigades Great War in Africa would be good since they have the heavy boots that the Morskaya often wore and have Maxim teams (which the Black Death had abandoned near the end of the war but never gave up completely). Brigade also has some Russian Naval infantry in their Storm in the East line which are also wearing correct uniforms (since the Naval infantry basic uniform was basically unchanged, well, unchanged enough where it wont be noticeable in 28mm). Your big issue will be SMG guys since those are very distinct to the time period (and important for the Black Death in general!). My advice would be to find some cheap sailor minis, saw off the heads and put them on WGF Soviet bodies with SMGs. In colder climates the Morskaya often wore standard Soviet uniforms, usually with black pants, so that wouldn't be super far off from reality. For things like Flamethrowers they wore the standard Soviet flamethrower uniform. Gripping Beast also has a bunch of Sailor heads under their WWI British range. You'll also probably want to give them the bandoliers, even though that wasn't 100% standard (lots of them just used a standard hip bag for bulletts) it's sort of what people expect when you say Russian Naval Infantry, I'm sure lots of companies make them but they would also be pretty trivial to greenstuff, you could probably just make one by cutting up some plastic tubing very carefully and then make a press mold out of it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Sweet, cheers dude! I'll definitely have a browse around the places you've mentioned as I think the Morskaya Pekhota are cool as hell. I know someone who could probably cast up the bandoliers if I asked him nicely enough (and seduced him with enough alcohol).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Flipswitch posted:

Sweet, cheers dude! I'll definitely have a browse around the places you've mentioned as I think the Morskaya Pekhota are cool as hell. I know someone who could probably cast up the bandoliers if I asked him nicely enough (and seduced him with enough alcohol).

They are an interesting sort of anomaly in the Soviet command structure, because they existed prior to the Russian Revolution, but were one of the few parts of the Imperial command structure that sided with the Red army very quickly they transitioned into the Soviet power structure without any major reorganization or widespread doctrine changes that plagued the real Soviet armed forces (since their command and units were mostly descended from the Red army in the war not the pre-Revolution Imperial army). They kept their uniforms, their guns, most of their organization and were given a large amount of wiggle room when it came to how they were organized and what they did with their troops. This lead to stuff like the general infantry going into battle in their Sailor clothes while a lot of the more specialized units like the full SMG platoons wore basically the standard infantry uniform with black barring. They are better represented in BA than they are in FoW, since at least the BA list gets some of their quirks right (their early adoption of using LMG teams in HMG roles due to mobility for instance).

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

vintagepurple posted:

My summer job will be as a re-enactor at Fort Henry in Kingston, ON, representing a british trooper, so I couldn't resist painting up an army of minimes. The line infantry in kilmarnocks look near spot on to our uniforms, except we wear shell jackets instead of frock coats and as an 1867 unit we use Snider-Enfield cartridge rifles.

Interesting to see another Kingstonian/FHG here.

But my question is: why wouldn't you use the minis wearing shakos?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Friendly reminder that the grand sum of differences naval infantry have in FoW compared to regular infantry is that naval infantry get -1 stand per platoon.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Scratch my earlier jpg request, I found a fantastic set of WW2 painting guides complete with good pics of the minis and broken out by VMC #s! They're here.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

At the risk of starting another Battlefront hates Soviets derail, the amount of :effort: they put into Soviets is baffling.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Ilor posted:

Scratch my earlier jpg request, I found a fantastic set of WW2 painting guides complete with good pics of the minis and broken out by VMC #s! They're here.

Wow, his guide to Soviet uniforms is so bad, he spelled "Zaloga" wrong, and the parts that are correct are straight up copied from RKKA.ru.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

At the risk of starting another Battlefront hates Soviets derail, the amount of :effort: they put into Soviets is baffling.

I don't think a train of discussion about how a wargames company treated one of the major powers of WW2 is really a derail in the historical tradgames thread :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

spectralent posted:

I don't think a train of discussion about how a wargames company treated one of the major powers of WW2 is really a derail in the historical tradgames thread :v:

To be fair there's only so many ways you can say "Battlefront's a bunch of lazy assholes"

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Does anyone here have experience of V&V miniatures? I'm working on some Viking warbands for our homebrew game, and they have a few options that I can't build from the Gripping Beast boxes. I found them by googling for viking minis, but I've never heard of them before.

http://vminiatures.com/28-mm/vikings/

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

To be fair there's only so many ways you can say "Battlefront's a bunch of lazy assholes"

True.

Honestly it might be interesting to discuss better FoW soviets. To a degree, FoW is plagued by "being FoW", but there's got to be some areas that could be worked on. I'd be interested in hearing what people would recommend for the naval infantry, since it sounds like there's some really big fans here.

One thing I'd like to see on Katyushas is the ability to move and bombard, and probably a time-on-target or mike target type rule. Compared to an artillery barrage, a rocket barrage takes much less time, and dumps it's ordinance much quicker. This is consistent with TOT's justification of being a synchronised barrage which gives people little time to dive for cover when it lands. Having a short firing time also allows for a barrage followed by a rapid relocation.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Flipswitch posted:

I don't recall this being said on the last most recent discussion, but I think the problem with FoW and BA is trying to make World War 40k.

Games like 40k, both on the table top and on computers, tend to have a rock-paper-scissors mechanic; or in the very least, each army has a unique "gimmick" that is suppose to appeal to different play styles. So, for a casual game that you want to reach as wide an audience as possible, you want to appeal to these game styles. Off the top of my head these are:

The Few But Elite: Few, powerful models and units.
The Jack of All Trades, Master of None: Does everything everyone else does, just not as good.
The Swiss Army Knife: A tool for every situation, each unit is special tailored to a specific task which it will do far and above better than anyone else, at the cost of flexibility.
The Advancing Horde: High model count, poo poo troops. Quantity over quality, the idea is to charge into melee while getting shot at.
The Gun Line: A variant of the Horde, except now you sit still and wait for the enemy to come to you, and hope to destroy them with your guns.

Creating an interesting war game usually entails setting up armies that fall into these five styles (or variations thereof) and people picking their favorite army and trying to use their gimmick in a way that overcomes their opponent's army's gimmick. Most RTS computer games are this way. This is the meta of a game; where part of whether you win or lose depends on if your army and what units you chose to bring can deal appropriately with the enemy's gimmick while also maximizing the effects of your own.

Obviously, WWII Generals didn't draw straws to decide what their gimmicks would be. There could be some variations in tactics, but often this is down to chain of command structure, or theater tactics, rather than individual unit tactics; both of which are difficult to translate onto the board, forcing each player to employ their own ideas of what they need to do with their guys. This can be confusing, as new players will be unaccustomed to figuring out their own tactics, rather than a prescribed idea based on what "style" their army plays to. This means a higher learning curve for a game that is more true to life; a game in which a beginner might not see victory, and might not understand playing scenarios where his army isn't meant to win, or that winning means something other than curb-stomping his enemy.

The "play-styles" aren't a bad thing in a war game. They create unit interaction within and between factions, and generally players can see the results of having picked one unit over another when list-building. However, they do, to some extent, destroy the flavor that already exists in actual, real life armies, in favor for a flavor that is more tangible and easily digestible by people who are being converted from Spysy Myryynys (Space Marines). So, Battlefront made the decision when creating FoW to follow this template, and I'm sure you already pegged the various powers into each "style". The Soviets being the horde was an obvious choice, because idiots from 40k think that the Imperial Guard are space Soviets. They've already got it set in their mind that the Soviets are going to be this massive, bloody horde, and would probably actually be turned off if they weren't. The myth was already there, Battlefront just went along with it.

And this is where I think their apathy towards changing it comes from. That to change the Russians to a more historical vision would mean getting rid of one of the five faction "styles", and how are we supposed to get Orc/IG/other war game minis horde faction players to jump into historicals if we don't have a horde army?

tl;dr: I said a lot of words about game design that are probably wrong, but "Horde Soviets" exist because of 40k Orcs and IG, basically.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

The thing is every army tends to have a variety of list types, with the special rules to support them. Britain has the assault company, armoured divisions, infantry tank divisions, motor rifles and leg infantry, commandos and paras, etc etc. Even the germans, who're heaviest in the "elite few", have lists with CT replacements or RC volksturm. You even get niche poo poo like all-88 lists. Then you have the soviet lists, where your options are horde, tank horde, cavalry horde, even shittier horde, and so on ad infinitum. Even within the movie-WW2 thing it's doing, soviets have very little breadth, that other armies have in spades.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
When minis wargames find ways to make inferior forces interesting to play in a pick-up setting they'll have a lot more design space.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I would rather my games compromise on strict historical accuracy to get better gameplay, but the problem is, from what I can tell, that Flames of War does this rather poorly.

Bolt Action has some silly rules for the Soviets, but they don't actively penalize the army so it's not as big of a deal.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

YF19pilot posted:

The Soviets being the horde was an obvious choice, because idiots from 40k think that the Imperial Guard are space Soviets.
Wait - they weren't?

The image of a "Soviet horde" was long before 40K - in the early war, poor communication led to successive waves of troops all launching at once, making it seem like a huge onslaught to the Germans. In addition, purges helped wipe out a lot of the upper echelons, so leaders had to relearn tactics. So, there's a grain of truth to it.

FoW might be WW240K, but 1) they're trying to appeal to an existing player base; and 2) factions/armies with no particular "thing" aren't as fun to play for a lot of people. Not everyone wants to sit there and recreate a battle all the way down to the supply chain level and lose just because "that's what happened to the Germans in this engagement."

Hell, you should be happy that people are playing historicals-lite and not playing 40K/supporting GW.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Please don't get me wrong in my sentiment.

The idea is that most of the new players to FoW are probably coming from GW, and Battlefront is going to on some level cater to that. So, Soviet hordes it is, because that's the myth we've all grown up with. It's just a shame that Battlefront is treating their horde army the same way GW treats their horde army, more or less; and with their focus ever expanding (Pacific Campaign, TANKS!, Team Yankee, WWI, etc), who knows how likely it'll be that the Russians get a proper going over like the rest of the major powers. It's just not a concern to them because they feel they've succeeded in meeting the five basic play-styles necessary in a war game.

And again, "X army has Y gimmick" is fine, up until it starts becoming clear that's all the thought the creator put into it.

e: With the IG remark, I mean more that many players will expect the Soviets to be a lot like the IG, rather than the IG being influenced by the Soviets. Perhaps I should mean that many expect Soviets to be earthbound ImpGuard.

e2: Eh, I'm probably not coming across how I want to with my post. I don't mean to begrudge FoW or anything like that. Hell, I have a ton of FoW stuff back in the states, and it was the number 1 game at my old LGS. I guess I'm just trying to nail down the mindset that produces "Soviets = Horde Army" beyond just the myths that persist that you'd think would go away if they anyone cared to do research.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 29, 2016

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

YF19pilot posted:

Please don't get me wrong in my sentiment.

I was just giving you a hard time with the 40K IG stuff. Personally, I think some of it comes down to a certain style that people expect - people expect Soviets to play as horde armies, and that's what they want to see.

Not having read the rules fully, what is the problem with Soviets in TY? At a glance, they seem ok...

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

YF19pilot posted:

And again, "X army has Y gimmick" is fine, up until it starts becoming clear that's all the thought the creator put into it.
This is one of the things that most impresses me about Chain of Command - the differences between the forces are at the platoon level and mostly deal with how the unit was organized, what equipment it had at its disposal, and how it deployed in the field. The effects are subtle, but definitely change how the forces play. It feels a lot less gimmicky.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

berzerkmonkey posted:

Wait - they weren't?

The image of a "Soviet horde" was long before 40K - in the early war, poor communication led to successive waves of troops all launching at once, making it seem like a huge onslaught to the Germans. In addition, purges helped wipe out a lot of the upper echelons, so leaders had to relearn tactics. So, there's a grain of truth to it.

The image of the endless Russian "Asiatic horde" made up of fatalistic savages that care little about casualties predates WWII and the Soviet Union altogether.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

berzerkmonkey posted:

Wait - they weren't?

FoW might be WW240K, but 1) they're trying to appeal to an existing player base; and 2) factions/armies with no particular "thing" aren't as fun to play for a lot of people. Not everyone wants to sit there and recreate a battle all the way down to the supply chain level and lose just because "that's what happened to the Germans in this engagement."

Hell, you should be happy that people are playing historicals-lite and not playing 40K/supporting GW.

You may note that I pointed out that every other army has multiple "Things". Red Bear, the mainstay soviet book, has nothing but Confident/Trained and Fearless/Trained lists with the core soviet special rules. With the Guards Heavy X lists, you get relief for Hen and Chicks on guns that're already RoF 1, so not exactly mindblowing. There's the Shtraf battalion, but their special rules amount to "Even the machine guns and mortars count as shtraf". This is a book covering over a year of fighting across thousands of kilometers of front, and absolutely no exceptional or noteworthy groups were identified to write about.

Grey Wolf, it's sister book, is also a broad collection of Confident Vet Heer and Fearless Vet SS lists... But there's also RV and RT lists of blocking detachments and security forces militia, FT lists (irony) for dismounted cavalry, and lists for specific companies. And every major company has special rules you can take, including bloody Totemkopf in case you needed encouragement to play them.

If we look at the western allied books like Italy or Overlord it gets even worse, likewise with the counterpart books there: I've got a ton of options for training/morale combos, usually within lists, and almost every division has it's own set of special rules. I can play airborne (three types!) with their own special rules (who can be canadian with canadian special rules too), commandos who get a whole page dedicated to special rules. I have the also-unique-special-rules landing companies in CT or CV. All of these comes as canadians, guards, or northumbrians, which is more special rules and subdivisions of the list. I'm on page 60 of a 300 page book and we had twenty pages of "fluff". There's no comparison between the diversity of soviets versus every other list in the game. If I want to play brits, I can play elite-but-few commandos or a horde-y infantry company, or I can go for a variety of armoured lists, or... Pretty much the only thing I can't field are conscripts, and those get pretty rare in late war in general. And they'd probably have unique special rules too.

YF19pilot posted:

It's just a shame that Battlefront is treating their horde army the same way GW treats their horde army, more or less; and with their focus ever expanding (Pacific Campaign, TANKS!, Team Yankee, WWI, etc), who knows how likely it'll be that the Russians get a proper going over like the rest of the major powers. It's just not a concern to them because they feel they've succeeded in meeting the five basic play-styles necessary in a war game.

The depressing thing is they did get a major going over, and all they got out of it was a borderline reprint of red bear lists and garbage hero lists that raised points, shrank sizes too low to make use of their special rules, and gave mostly useless special rules.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I was just giving you a hard time with the 40K IG stuff. Personally, I think some of it comes down to a certain style that people expect - people expect Soviets to play as horde armies, and that's what they want to see.

Not having read the rules fully, what is the problem with Soviets in TY? At a glance, they seem ok...

TY soviets aren't too bad, actually. They're a specific (fictional) group, and they're fairly powerful. I don't have much of a complaint about TY's soviets.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 29, 2016

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
What are the special Canadian rules? You have to say sorry to enemies you shoot and issue orders in both French and English?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Ensign Expendable posted:

What are the special Canadian rules? You have to say sorry to enemies you shoot and issue orders in both French and English?

Mostly the same as British, except they get Mission Tactics (Platoon leader can swap bases with another team if they get killed) instead of British Bulldogs (Re-roll failed morale tests to counter-assault).

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Mission tactics and "Assault Troops" which gives them rerolls to unpin and unbail. For the 5-10 points you pay per platoon for it, it's pretty amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
In other news, I read the blurb about SP2 in WI this month and now I want it. They didn't go in to TOO much detail, but stressed the narrative nature of the rules, which is my favorite thing in rulesets, especially for skirmishes.

I mean, I already have Muskets & Tomahawks, and I love that ruleset too, but it has some flaws. I have like 2 pages of house rules.

So maybe SP2 is needed.

I just wish I could buy it in the US directly.