Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Is captain America and Falcon good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

The Priest/Sears one? No, not really. Priest has gone on record about how much he didn't like what Sears did with that and blamed his art on the series never going anywhere.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Edge & Christian posted:

A stirring counterpoint.

what am I going to do, argue it with you? What would the point in that be?

instead I think it's just funny that any time someone mentions nick spencer you swoop in with a hot take ready to go

it's like the rest of the forum and dan slott, just applied specifically to you

bobkatt013 posted:

it's maybe the lamest thing priest has written? that or his heroes for hire run

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Blockhouse posted:

what am I going to do, argue it with you? What would the point in that be?

instead I think it's just funny that any time someone mentions nick spencer you swoop in with a hot take ready to go

it's like the rest of the forum and dan slott, just applied specifically to you
What's the point in anything? Why point out the "hot take" of bringing up a writer's tics when discussing a writer's book? Why would anyone possibly be discussing a Marvel Comics Crossover Event in a Marvel Comics thread?

better to meta-post about how posters are dumb

right
right
right

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Actually I think this is supposed to be the event safe space?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I enjoy Ant-Man and Sam Wilson Captain America, for what it's worth. But I imagine that Spencer is something like Whedon to a smaller scale. You're either going to like his style of humor, or won't. People have different tastes in what comedy is (some people like Larry the Cable Guy).

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Morning Glories is really bad.

God yes gently caress that series so much. I really liked the first 3 trades and then it just goes loving nowhere, sadly I'm the type that likes to finish things so.... gently caress me.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I've only read some Spencer, mostly his funnier Marvel stuff, which I enjoy, but thanks everyone for the heads up on Morning Glories. I've read the first two trades and decided to read some other stuff in the meantime becuase it seemed to spin its wheels between big reveals in a way that made me really skeptical. Now that I've heard other canaries go quiet deeper in the coal mine, I'll stay out.

I hope I never read too much Spencer and get sick of his voice.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I've only ready Superior Foes, Astonishing Ant-Man and Pleasant Hill, but I've enjoyed them all. I thought about getting The Fix, but I forgot about it. Is that Good Nick Spencer or Bad Nick Spencer?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's almost exactly Superior Foes Nick Spencer.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, if you liked Superior Foes, The Fix will be for you.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Why didn't anyone say Paul Jenkins Inhumans 12 issue serried was good? Cause it was good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Were we talking about Paul Jenkins? I lost track. But yes, Son of M and Silent War are very very good books, and it's a shame nobody knew how to follow them up.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Mr Hootington posted:

Why didn't anyone say Paul Jenkins Inhumans 12 issue serried was good? Cause it was good.

The Jae Lee series? I'm pretty sure that's universally loved. It's the only inhumans thing past their origin that I've heard good things about.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

That's usually like the very first thing recommended when someone asks about the Inhumans. Yeah it's good. And I'm not even really a fan of Jae Lee's art.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shawn posted:

The Jae Lee series? I'm pretty sure that's universally loved. It's the only inhumans thing past their origin that I've heard good things about.

They've been good since Infinity under Charles Soule, IMO. Uncanny Inhumans has been based in Black Bolt's nightclub for the last several months. It's great.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ed: wrong thread

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 30, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Were we talking about Paul Jenkins? I lost track. But yes, Son of M and Silent War are very very good books, and it's a shame nobody knew how to follow them up.

We weren't but I've never seen it come up as a good book ever. Anywhere. It was a nice surprise

X-O posted:

That's usually like the very first thing recommended when someone asks about the Inhumans. Yeah it's good. And I'm not even really a fan of Jae Lee's art.

Yeah his faces look weird at times, but it is my only complaint. Real interesting book diving deep into the Inhumans.

I like the look into how messed up the Inhuman societal structure and how incompatible with human society it is. Maximus was amazing too.

the 2000 Inhumans mini seems good so far. The art is gorgeous.

the Kirby concepts need more love by the comic public at large. It is a shame that Inhumans and Eternals never sustain a book.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

It is a shame that Inhumans... never sustain a book.

They've got two comics right now.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

They've got two comics right now.

And I hope they last more than 12 issues.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Soule had already written over that

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Mr Hootington posted:

The sales numbers on them as far as we can tell aren't that bad. Uncanny is solid, All-New is on the lower end but not cancellation territory yet.

Plus cancelling Uncanny and All-New would basically mean Marvel would have to stop doing any major Inhumans things in the Marvel world on account of there being no Inhumans books to tie the Inhumans goingons together.

That said though I'm not a fan of either series so if they went away and maybe lead to other Inhumans books launching instead or if Marvel changed creative teams on them I wouldn't mind.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

My pitch for the inhumans is simple: bring back Haechi.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Paul Jenkins' and Jae Lee's Sentry mini was also good, regardless of whether or not you like the concept. That whole Marvel Knights era doesn't get talked about much after the Ultimate era took over, but there was some drat good mini series by people like Jenkins and Morrison.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Man. I'd love a new take on the Sentry that handled his mental issues more accurately and with something approaching respect.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

Man. I'd love a new take on the Sentry that handled his mental issues more accurately and with something approaching respect.

Remember when its revealed that Rogue had sex with him?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

TFRazorsaw posted:

mental issues more accurately and with something approaching respect.

Well this is a comic book so I'd say don't hold your breath

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Well this is a comic book so I'd say don't hold your breath

Anyone wanna read some Batman with me?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

TFRazorsaw posted:

They are going to smush Blue Marvel and Sentry together and say it was a mental illness that made him rewrite the world again to be sunshine superman.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

bobkatt013 posted:

Unfortunately.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

There's a very, very long fan fiction about it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The Fallen sun one shot?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Bummer everyone brings up those two panels, and not how he was best buds with Reed Richards, or how he turned the Hulk into a happy child when he was around.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rogue's sex life is sacrosanct and Paul Jenkins will never be forgiven for suggesting she hooked up with a guy once.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Die Laughing posted:

Bummer everyone brings up those two panels, and not how he was best buds with Reed Richards, or how he turned the Hulk into a happy child when he was around.

To be honest those are infinitely worse. Fan fiction Sentry was the worst Sentry.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DrProsek posted:

The sales numbers on them as far as we can tell aren't that bad. Uncanny is solid, All-New is on the lower end but not cancellation territory yet.
I wouldn't wager that those are books selling disproportionately large numbers of digital copies, but yeah, their physical sales are pretty firmly in the safe zone.

Rhyno posted:

Only one?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Venom was... really bad. Really bad. Like, "straight traces over poser screencaps, and also here are some copy pasted models from other properties that the artist just threw in" bad (I counted 6 Tau Sky Ray Gunships! hooray!)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

yeah the Sentry was cool and good until he actually entered the main MU. The early minis with him and various specials were interesting. Didn't Bendis muck the character up?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mr Hootington posted:

yeah the Sentry was cool and good until he actually entered the main MU. The early minis with him and various specials were interesting. Didn't Bendis muck the character up?

The Sentry was Bendised pretty hard. First he was a mentally broken wreck because of one of his villains hiring Mastermind, then he was actually a drug addicted abusive husband all along who mainlined some super serum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

wiegieman posted:

The Sentry was Bendised pretty hard. First he was a mentally broken wreck because of one of his villains hiring Mastermind, then he was actually a drug addicted abusive husband all along who mainlined some super serum.

And then something about Moses.

• Locked thread