Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The most shocking ending was when you uninstalled Myth 2 and it erased your whole hard drive in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
That TWD bit is great.

Golden Goat posted:

I'm trying to think of other games that did that and honestly only Mass Effect came to mind when you can let either Ashley or the super dull guy die. It's not quite the same though.

The best ME deaths are later in the series I think.

The death of John Marston in Red Dead Redemption is a hell of a gut punch too, especially given the epilogue. Doesn't change much mechanically but it's got a really obvious effect.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Palpek posted:

The most shocking ending was when you uninstalled Myth 2 and it erased your whole hard drive in the process.

This happened to PS2 memory cards and Soul Calibur 2 as well. Frightening stuff.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

This happened to PS2 memory cards and Soul Calibur 2 as well. Frightening stuff.

Soul Calibur II? All I remember is SCIII had a glitch that would eventually corrupt your save file for that game, but not the whole card.

Then there was that demo disc that wiped people's memory cards that got so many complaints that they started handing out (cheap, overstocked) games for free.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hm. No, gonna say, FFV is still the better of the two. It's plot is so much better paced. Nothing in Bravely Default is quite as satisfying as the Battle on the Big Bridge.

That and the job system are really all FF5 has going for it, the rest is mostly rubbish.
Not to say that Bravely "do the same poo poo four times in a row in this barren, boring world with like 5 towns in it" Default ranks higher though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The death of John Marston in Red Dead Redemption is a hell of a gut punch too, especially given the epilogue. Doesn't change much mechanically but it's got a really obvious effect.
That ending owns. I don't think I know another open-world game where exploring the game world and doing side-quests after the main story actually makes sense plot-wise. I loved it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like when games play around with game mechanics like that one dude in eternal darkness who was becoming undead or whatever, or tellah in ff4 losing stats as he leveled up

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Skeezy posted:

I haven't started it yet and I really should

I have that and FE Fates on deck, and I still have yet to play FE:A that I bought on sale like 2 years ago :(

too many gaaammmmeeeez, I keep telling myself I'm not gonna buy any new games until I beat the ones I've got, but then I don't.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Lurdiak posted:

It is very strange to me that the character defined almost entirely by blitzball isn't as good at blitzball as Tidus.

Its sad the best way to play blitzball, is to grab the ball and run away for 99% of the game so you dont have to sit there and watch 100000 goal kicks. Then just before it ends use tidus to get a single goal.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Blitzball is so bad and is the worst FF minigame even worse than that card game from 9

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Palpek posted:

That ending owns. I don't think I know another open-world game where exploring the game world and doing side-quests after the main story actually makes sense plot-wise. I loved it.

It's helped by the plot of the game not being a series of world-changing events (with the partial exception of the middle third). Life for the rest of the world goes on.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Golden Goat posted:

Ah right, yeah not many games do that. That said losing Aeris wasn't a massive hit mechanically due to the materia system.

I'm trying to think of other games that did that and honestly only Mass Effect came to mind when you can let either Ashley or the super dull guy die. It's not quite the same though.

Ultima 5 came out a decade before FF7 and had a situation where you could be captured and interrogated by the main bad guy, at which point he would put one of your party members under a pendulum blade, and if you don't tell him what he wants to know that character gets sliced in half and you lose them forever

If you did tell him what he wanted to know, sometimes he'd just permakill them anyway

I'm pretty sure the Suikoden games had a bunch of character deaths too, depending on your actions. I only played the first two and part of the third.

Palpek posted:

It's pretty funny though how if you only partly complete a sidequest before that part, it's like several years later and you can go back and those sidequest people are still sitting there waiting.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 29, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Phantasy Star 4 had the main villain kill a character of the same name, although they translated it Alys.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

it's spelt Alyth tyvm

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Healbot posted:

it's spelt Alyth tyvm

Oddly enough her name isn't anything like that at all in the JP version, it's apparently Raira (or Lyra).

It's extra weird since Alys is the name of the protag from PS1, but they aren't related at all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/ChineseRoom/status/725958220284465153

It seems like chinese room is trying to start poo poo with cd red projects. My guess is a few of the chinese room devs are annoyed that their shite art games arnt selling that well compared to you know. an actual good game. So now they are trying to start poo poo and bait people. Also sexy=sexism to them. but then again chinese room doesnt know how to make NPC's so they wouldnt know.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If that's true then don't give them the attention by posting it elsewhere?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Doesn't mean they're wrong here

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It seems like chinese room is trying to start poo poo with cd red projects. My guess is a few of the chinese room devs are annoyed that their shite art games arnt selling that well compared to you know. an actual good game. So now they are trying to start poo poo and bait people. Also sexy=sexism to them. but then again chinese room doesnt know how to make NPC's so they wouldnt know.

Looks like the Chinese room theory has been proven wrong based off their tweets

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I was under the impression that that specific outfit was meant to be an homage to Ghost in the Shell.

And by "I was under the impression" I mean "it's obviously an homage."

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol if you care about any of this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't like any of CD Project Red's games.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

In Training posted:

I don't like any of CD Project Red's games.

But I like the thing, I refuse to believe someone doesn't like the thing

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Sci-Fi writers use sexy robot lady to represent conflict between man and machine! More at 11!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Doesn't mean they're wrong here

CDPR has come a long way since the sex cards in 1. The Witcher series is hyper sexual from the source material but it also has some of the most powerful people in the universe, and in this game, be female. Geralt is always called "just a Witcher"

Either way. I dont view the tweet as some nice attempt to show criticism against a part of the game. it feels like a bitter rock throw to me. It feels more like when those sunset devs "quit" and had a massive twitter meltdown. this isnt on the same level but it feels like out of the blue bait to get views and try to look moraly superior to a better company.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The image/text combination is sorta silly. Why is having a lingerie model doing mocap ambitious? Is the "front" thing supposed to be a boobs double entendre? That is some phoned-in poo poo. Make your stupid twitter jokes funnier, Gamespot.

I couldn't care less about the Chinese Room's thing, whatever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

CDPR has come a long way since the sex cards in 1. The Witcher series is hyper sexual from the source material but it also has some of the most powerful people in the universe, and in this game, be female. Geralt is always called "just a Witcher"

Either way. I dont view the tweet as some nice attempt to show criticism against a part of the game. it feels like a bitter rock throw to me. It feels more like when those sunset devs "quit" and had a massive twitter meltdown. this isnt on the same level but it feels like out of the blue bait to get views and try to look moraly superior to a better company.

Nobody gives a poo poo!!!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

bloodychill posted:

The image/text combination is sorta silly. Why is having a lingerie model doing mocap ambitious? Is the "front" thing supposed to be a boobs double entendre? That is some phoned-in poo poo. Make your stupid twitter jokes funnier, Gamespot.

I couldn't care less about the Chinese Room's thing, whatever.

apperently its a different company making the adverts, same as when the did the cgi witcher 3 trailers.

The original cyberpunk 2077 trailer A woman with an addiction to cybernetic implants went clubbing.

The thing about cyborgs in the Cyberpunk universe is that people who do a lot of mods eventually go crazy and kill people. It's a stat in the tabletop game's mechanics iirc. Forgetting the official term for it, but that's what she is. She is a person who took body modification too far. She was out clubbing (hence the mention that she killed a bunch of people in a nightclub in the trailer).

Psycho Squad recruited her rather than killed her. The description of the trailer is "how Psycho Squad might find a new recruit" or something, iirc.

So you have a woman who's dressed up to go clubbing, not "a killing machine."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

In Training posted:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The original cyberpunk 2077 trailer A woman with an addiction to cybernetic implants went clubbing.

The thing about cyborgs in the Cyberpunk universe is that people who do a lot of mods eventually go crazy and kill people. It's a stat in the tabletop game's mechanics iirc. Forgetting the official term for it, but that's what she is. She is a person who took body modification too far. She was out clubbing (hence the mention that she killed a bunch of people in a nightclub in the trailer).

I don't know the cb2077 system but in Shadowrun it's "essence" and it's generally tied to your sense of humanity but primarily your ability to use magic. Each of the last two SR games had characters who purposely destroyed their essence for different reasons. The characters were also the best ones in their respective entries imo.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Shadowrun characters have dumb haircuts

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I can't argue with that.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It seems like chinese room is trying to start poo poo with cd red projects.
Cool. Good for them.

Has anybody tried Severed? It's a Vita title from the Guacamelee guys that's been getting some good reviews so far.

Also yes I'm aware the Vita is bad/dead/etc and that the Guacamelee guys put memes in that game but Severed has none since it's a more serious tone.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jay Rust posted:

Shadowrun characters have dumb haircuts

Not the Dwarfs! Dwarfs master race.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i hope ciri is in the cyberpunk game

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Golden Goat posted:

Cool. Good for them.

Has anybody tried Severed? It's a Vita title from the Guacamelee guys that's been getting some good reviews so far.

Also yes I'm aware the Vita is bad/dead/etc and that the Guacamelee guys put memes in that game but Severed has none since it's a more serious tone.

Guacamelee was great and I for one liked the silly luchador'd memes. I'm looking at gameplay vids of Severed and it looks really cool. I'll probably get this when I have time to play it during May so thanks for the heads up!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Guacamelee was great and I for one liked the silly luchador'd memes. I'm looking at gameplay vids of Severed and it looks really cool. I'll probably get this when I have time to play it during May so thanks for the heads up!

Cool! It's €15 and apparently a little short but still good. Looks like it plays sorta like punchout where you're learning enemy tells and queues.

Okay I love their FAQ on the main page too:

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 29, 2016

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

In Training posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I give a poo poo... about talking bout games.

• Locked thread