Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Returning to Watchmen after 8 years(!) of Marvel was revelatory.

Watchmen was a rather good movie when it was released, but watching it again now is an entirely different experience; that movie was almost eerily prescient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Wheeee posted:

Watchmen was a rather good movie when it was released, but watching it again now is an entirely different experience; that movie was almost eerily prescient.
I'm half with you on this. Its not only prescient, but I didn't like it on release and I was really bored when I saw it in the cinema. Re-watching it with the directors cut a couple of years ago was one of those "can't take my eyes off the screen" movie experiences though and it really hit me a lot harder than I was expecting.

Snyder is loving awesome. I haven't seen BvS yet (I'd rather wait for that extended cut) but I love how he sort of hits the excesses of the aesthetic of a lot of modern day blockbusters, but his movies are ideologically opposed to them at the same time.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would say except for IV, III has got some stuff going on.
Yea I confused the two. The cyborg stuff scared the poo poo out of me as a kid.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Man of Steel kicked me in the nuts with how good it was during my recent MoS-BvS double feature. I'm probably going to be watching it quite a lot in the coming years, and that's really weird to think about considering I previously hated it like folks hate BvS.

Returning to Watchmen after 8 years(!) of Marvel was revelatory.

Wheeee posted:

While I'm an unabashed Nolan fan (especially Inception and its thematic sequel TDKR), as far as the 'super' genre is concerned Snyder is almost unparalleled I think in recent (~10 years) memory.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kryptonite that turns Superman into a Superdick, Clark split in two to fight his dark half personified by Superman, and a supercomputer built to kill Superman that, among other things, assimilates someone Borg-style in a pretty fuckin' scary sequence all considered, definitely belonged in a better movie overall.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man of Steel was terrific and I loved it.

*insert 5 page argument*

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Man of Steel is tied with Chronicle for best superhero movie ever imo.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Man I gotta say the best part of Ant-Man was #makemichaeldouglasyoungagain why do I only ever see this technology wasted in small bits on comic book movies like that and X-Men Last Stand or whatever. Why aren't people rejuvenating great actors left and right and putting them in full length projects?
Have we not reached the technological peak where we can make Harrison Ford young and human again? Why even fool ourselves into thinking the mediocrity of Chris Pratt could ever be Han Solo or Indie? Just CGI that poo poo up man.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, I still think of Guardians of the Galaxy all the time, and I'm reasonably sure I'll be enjoying Deadpool for years to come, whereas I literally never think of Man of Steel outside of this thread. I guess different people just like different things.

Thinking about Guardians of the Galaxy is easy. I just recently thought "what ever happened to that movie?"

The trick is to sell us on it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Xealot posted:

Sure, but I'd think the main barrier is getting a hot-poo poo actor to commit to one role for a decade of their career. As I understand it, Joaquin Phoenix passed on Dr. Strange for that exact reason.
It's more that JP has self respect. He prefers the role of becoming a fat coke snorting neck bearded rapping slob for a few years as a Casey Affleck "practical joke" (saw that poo poo in theaters, best superhero movie . ever.) to the ignominy of making a movie for the DCU and MCU and tbh he's right to make that call
Remember when RDJ was still doing drugs and interesting and artistic and trying to sell himself as Chaplin and in Elton John videos? Now he's on top...top chump. Least the pay is amazing.
RIP
I just pretend he ODed

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The Elton John video was actually after the last time he got clean. In fact it was his first job after leaving rehab.

That said yeah he was still hungry for recognition and acclaim back then and was still willing to do weird and different films.

Kinda lost all respect for him when he bad-mouthed indie films while also saying he wouldn't star in them anymore. What a poo poo thing to say, especially when his dad was an independent filmmaker and the entire reason he was able to get the Tony Stark role was on the back of his work since 2001 which was 90% independent productions.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
And then he managed to throw casual racism in there as well.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Man I gotta say the best part of Ant-Man was #makemichaeldouglasyoungagain why do I only ever see this technology wasted in small bits on comic book movies like that and X-Men Last Stand or whatever. Why aren't people rejuvenating great actors left and right and putting them in full length projects?
Have we not reached the technological peak where we can make Harrison Ford young and human again? Why even fool ourselves into thinking the mediocrity of Chris Pratt could ever be Han Solo or Indie? Just CGI that poo poo up man.

You can make an old actor look young again but you can't make them feel young enough to commit to the time and rigors of a young star's roles.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Haha yep, you can make an old actor look young again but you can't make them give a gently caress about your movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

And then he managed to throw casual racism in there as well.
Are you referring to the comments about Inarritu? That was condescending as gently caress. You can tell RDJ is still kind of bitter jelly (like a jar of piss) his indie career never got there and now he's just an (extremely well paid) quip robot

quote:

Downey said in a video interview last week that “for a man whose native tongue is Spanish, to be able to put together a phrase like ‘cultural genocide’ just speaks to how bright he is.”
“Taken in the proper context of the interview, it is intended to be, and is, complimentary,” said Downey’s publicist Alan Nierob
Like who the gently caress are you? gently caress off Sherlock
Some people should never get sober.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 29, 2016

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Are you referring to the comments about Inarritu? That was condescending as gently caress. You can tell RDJ is still kind of bitter jelly his indie career never got there and now he's just a (extremely well paid) quip robot

Someone tried to tell me it was a 'sick burn' when it happened. I'm not sure how.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Good night sweet prince

Apparently Charlie Sheen is totally sober now too??? I guess we know who's gonna play Namor in five years

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Are you referring to the comments about Inarritu? That was condescending as gently caress. You can tell RDJ is still kind of bitter jelly (like a jar of piss) his indie career never got there and now he's just an (extremely well paid) quip robot

Uuuuggh. That one soured me so much on RDJ. How hard was it to just say something like "I disagree with the guy" and not be a condescending prick to Iñárritu and any Spanish speaker for that matter? What a nice view you have of people like us, ugh.

The worst was hearing many of my classmates defending RDJ. And we're Mexicans :psyduck:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I'm sure that RDJ regularly cries over his lovely failure of a career

all the way to the bank.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Wheeee posted:

I'm sure that RDJ regularly cries over his lovely failure of a career

all the way to the bank.
Similarly, Adam Sandler.
Dude would make the perfect Black Bolt.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

net cafe scandal posted:

I think about "Spider-Man stole that guy's pizza!" On a daily basis.

This post made me realize that I literally thought about that line yesterday, apropos of nothing, and laughed.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Thinking about Guardians of the Galaxy is easy. I just recently thought "what ever happened to that movie?"

It'll be a hot nostalgia item in 2034 when today's kiddies hit 30.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Seriously. If they ever deserved to be born to begin with. Top chump indeed

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The trick is to sell us on it.

I don't have to sell anyone on anything. If some people don't want to like it or choose to dismiss it as a dumb movie about wacky characters who use the power of friendship to win that's no skin off my nose. Dozens upon dozens of pages talking about Man of Steel haven't magically made it my favourite comic book movie, I don't expect the same for anything else.

Now, if anyone actually wanted to discuss something about the movie instead of trying to "sell" it, I'd be happy to.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
cap3 is.. very bureaucratic.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Siselmo posted:

Uuuuggh. That one soured me so much on RDJ. How hard was it to just say something like "I disagree with the guy" and not be a condescending prick to Iñárritu and any Spanish speaker for that matter? What a nice view you have of people like us, ugh.

The worst was hearing many of my classmates defending RDJ. And we're Mexicans :psyduck:

Probably your classmates like RDJ more than Iñarritu, the first one is Iron Man, the second one makes movies they, perhaps, don't care much about.
(I like RDJ, but his comments where like "ugh, no dude. no,stop" for me.)

Next time he should directly talk poo poo about the whole country, Trump style, and I bet you he would be the most hated American instantly.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Desperado Bones posted:

Probably your classmates like RDJ more than Iñarritu, the first one is Iron Man, the second one makes movies they, perhaps, don't care much about.

Next time he should directly talk poo poo about the whole country, Trump style, and I bet you he would be the most hated American instantly.
Also because they like those movies and don't like the guy who says that movies they like are "cultural genoicde" which is just about as :smug: and stupid as what RDJ said

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

My favorite RDJ comment was about how going to prison was what turned him into a conservative.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

McSpanky posted:

Kryptonite that turns Superman into a Superdick, Clark split in two to fight his dark half personified by Superman, and a supercomputer built to kill Superman that, among other things, assimilates someone Borg-style in a pretty fuckin' scary sequence all considered, definitely belonged in a better movie overall.

Also, Annette O'Toole.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I watched Superman III for the first time recently and was really surprised how much I enjoyed it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think the main problem with it is the off-brand Luthor.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think the main problem with it is the off-brand Luthor.

I know that dude's been in a lot of other stuff but I can only think of him as the bad guy from BASEketball.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
All the older Superman movies tend to have an excellent first half, and then everything turns to poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

All the older Superman movies tend to have an excellent first half, and then everything turns to poo poo.

except for the first two, which are dope all the way through

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Who in the world doesn't like the ending to The Motion Picture?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Danger posted:

The ending is great but the part from the helicopter rescue to the ending is very...mixed quality.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Danger posted:

a lot of people have problems with the turning back time part, but I assume those people have problems with any superhero movie

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

a lot of people have problems with the turning back time part, but I assume those people have problems with any superhero movie

I had trouble with it when I was younger, but from a purely logistical standpoint. If Superman reversed time, wouldn't he have undone himself stopping the first missile? And, therefore, shouldn't the first missile have still impacted and caused untold destruction?

Then I stopped caring because who cares it's awesome.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Looks like Punisher is getting his own series on Netflix.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/29/11535694/the-punisher-marvel-netflix-series-daredevil-spinoff

quote:

After months of rumors, Netflix has officially given the green light for a The Punisher series. Entertainment Weekly reports that Marvel has just ordered a new series starring the gun-toting vigilante first introduced in Daredevil season 2. Jon Bernthal is set to reprise the role of Frank Castle, army veteran turned anti-hero, for the show. Writer and producer Steven Lightfoot will serve as showrunner.

THE SIXTH MARVEL SERIES ON NETFLIX

The Punisher, which will follow Frank Castle's quest for bloody justice in Hell's Kitchen, will be the sixth series in Marvel's stable of Netflix shows. It joins the likes of Daredevil, the Peabody Award-winning Jessica Jones, and the upcoming Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and The Defenders on the streaming network.

The decision to launch a new series with the Punisher makes sense. Apart from both Daredevil and Jessica Jones receiving strong reviews from critics in the last year, Bernthal's performance as Frank Castle was praised by critics for its rawness. There's no word yet on when the series will premiere, but expect Castle to make his return at some point in the next few years.

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/726041802080317440

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Also because they like those movies and don't like the guy who says that movies they like are "cultural genoicde" which is just about as :smug: and stupid as what RDJ said
agreed, insulting the sanctity of comic book movies (god forbid!!!) is definitely as bad as implying a director whose second film ever was English language would have a less than adequate grasp over the English language because...uhhhh...he's brown?
Maybe the truth is...in the middle...of a piss jar

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Steven Lightfoot, who was the EP on Hannibal. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

Desperado Bones posted:

Many looove RDJ (and disagreed with what Iñárritu said), and I don't have any problem with that. I just baffled me to hear them defend the "so smart for a Spanish speaker" part. Like, guys, you can like a celebrity and still call them out when they say terrible poo poo like this.

And trust me, Tijuana has plenty of Trump supporters (many are rich white Mexican dudes, or people with double nationality who live here but work in the US because ARE JOBS).

• Locked thread