Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Why would anyone send a Calendar Meeting without a reminder?

There a special place in hell for these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

God drat I hate that. And then they get all pissy because "We really needed you in that meeting"

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

God drat I hate that. And then they get all pissy because "We really needed you in that meeting"
Clearly you're not being a team player by failing to anticipate where your presence is required.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

My supervisor doesn't seem to know quite how that works. Maybe 4 times out of 10 I'll get a functional reminder, and the rest is either no reminder or one set for some random interval before the meeting. Sometimes I'd think she was doing it on purpose if she didn't get so frazzled about it not working right.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Coworker got to sit in on the weekly IT departmental blame shifting meeting. Usually we aren't invited, but since we are still short a manager we've been pulled in to represent our department. Since we are the networking group we are usually the last ones blamed for a problem.

While on the call, my coworker is telling the other groups that we've gone through logs and nothing showed up on our switches. Ports are clean, no errors, no ACL denies that match the traffic. Plus all this if often going from a VM to another VM in the same bladecenter box and never even gets to our stuff. He mentions that while going through logs, we found all these windows and application errors that point to resource issues on the VMs, and oddly enough in the ticket one of the admins mentions that a few servers at that time were seeing higher then usual load.

Coworkers asks if those logs were looked at, and that group's manager said his people were too busy to read those logs, and that no one in that group really knew how to read them anyway.

He gets an IM from our department manager saying that maybe the problem is that we don't have the right tools to figure stuff out, maybe we should have more meetings about this. Coworker finishes the call with his head in his hands.

The problem isn't our tools, its that we keep hiring tools.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

They let our QA environment run out of disk space... again... which is impacting our migration schedules... again...

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
More poo poo that pisses you off: The problem isn't our tools, its that we keep hiring tools.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
poo poo that no longer pisses me off:

thank god I've been out of that place for a while.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just had yet another user complain that they couldn't get 'logged in' to Chrome. They were putting their domain credentials in the default Chrome login page and confused why they could not get to their webinar that they 1) did not actually navigate to and 2) had different credentials to log in with anyway!

It's amazing we haven't been hit with Cryptolocker more than the one time ~2 years ago.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Love the lone ziptie looped around a single fiber cable.

It's even the removable type, but :effort:

All the cabling where I work is cut to length on demand for the run, which keeps everything looking super tidy but man I bet there's some sticker shock when you look at what it costs them. The wiring is probably relatively cheap, but sending out dudes to run the wires, cap them, and sort out reuse down the road is probably a giant headache.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We're moving our current datacenter into a colo like that soon, 3 racks worth with options to expand to 5 racks. I wanted to do individual cable lengths, but nearly every system uses 10 Gbe SFP+, so no making our own.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

devmd01 posted:

poo poo that no longer pisses me off:

thank god I've been out of that place for a while.

Not gonna lie, I had a physical reaction to those pictures.

Not a good reaction mind you.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
poo poo pissing me off: Samba shares not working. Googling all morning didn't come up with anything useful and the GUI tools don't help either. The share shows up on Windows but it won't let me log in.

Why is it anytime I try to do something on Linux it takes 6 hours of research and trial and error to get anywhere?

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

skooma512 posted:

poo poo pissing me off: Samba shares not working. Googling all morning didn't come up with anything useful and the GUI tools don't help either. The share shows up on Windows but it won't let me log in.

Why is it anytime I try to do something on Linux it takes 6 hours of research and trial and error to get anywhere?

Run winbind too if you aren't already - there were some recent security updates which switched it from "recommended" to "required".

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

skooma512 posted:

A coworker of mine was just having similar issues. On quizzing him, it ended up being a threefold issue:

a) forgot to smbpasswd -a all the users
b) forgot to iptables save, so he'd rebooted trying to debug it and broke it further and
c) selinux was loving with something or other.

I went in, checked the smb accounts, disabled iptables, set selinux to permissive, and everything worked. I turned iptables back on, turned selinux enforcement back on, and told him to fix those and it would work.

Also to fix permissions, because he'd set huge chunks of the file system to 777.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

A coworker of mine was just having similar issues. On quizzing him, it ended up being a threefold issue:

a) forgot to smbpasswd -a all the users
b) forgot to iptables save, so he'd rebooted trying to debug it and broke it further and
c) selinux was loving with something or other.

I went in, checked the smb accounts, disabled iptables, set selinux to permissive, and everything worked. I turned iptables back on, turned selinux enforcement back on, and told him to fix those and it would work.

Also to fix permissions, because he'd set huge chunks of the file system to 777.

Sounds like somebody needs to watch this:

https://youtu.be/cNoVgDqqJmM. :v:

Give your coworker the link.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Sounds like somebody needs to watch this:

https://youtu.be/cNoVgDqqJmM. :v:

Give your coworker the link.

^ Honestly, I'm expecting to check in in a week to find out that he will have "fixed it" by ... turning off iptables and selinux and possibly chmod 777 -R /. At which point I'll put that in as another "we need to either cut this guy loose or train him up right" point. He doesn't seem to get the difference between functioning and working.

Other things pissing me off I'm hesitant to talk about; so I'll tell similar stories from the University of Falifornia.

a) There was a policy that student employee stations didn't have dual monitors. After we ended up with a surplus of monitors during a computer refresh, they set themselves up anyway, apparently on the theory that hey, they're just laying around storage anyway. Productivity went up immediately.

The monitors were noticed. The monitors were discussed at a staff meeting. A couple weeks later, the monitors were removed, and the students were 'reminded' of the policy at a meeting.

Productivity immediately went down, back to about the original levels.

Did the director realize cause and effect, or did he growl "I don't care if they're sulking about having their toys taken away, they need to be as productive as they were a week ago!"? (Which had another dimension, that is the metric was pure # of tickets cleared, but that's another rant. )

b) There were meetings - long-rear end meetings - about SLAs. SLAs for during the school year, for during summer, for right at the beginning and end of each term, especially the start of fall and the end of spring. It was inked down in black and white. Hands were shook. Then:

"My department got layoff-raped today. We're losing 16 (2/3rds) of our full time staff (...), and to "compensate", we're getting 5 more student assistant slots (total of 12)."

Wanna guess about if we were still held to those SLAs?

Now we're 180 tickets behind and getting yelled at for it.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

sfwarlock posted:

chmod 777 -R /

Even ignoring the ordinary foolishness of letting anyone do anything, aren't there important things that just won't go if the permission bits aren't set exactly so even if whatever user running the service has the access it needs?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

stubblyhead posted:

Even ignoring the ordinary foolishness of letting anyone do anything, aren't there important things that just won't go if the permission bits aren't set exactly so even if whatever user running the service has the access it needs?

SSH keys immediately to mind.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

stubblyhead posted:

It's "easier" to fix the 3/4 warnings that come up than it is to correctly apply permissions to a whole applications directory of files

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At work we're finally enabling selinux by default with the next os upgrade, users are gonna loving hate us.

But with this making systemd production and allowing people to run their own services with user daemons, it seemed like a good time to lock things down a bit more.

Gonna be a lot of support tickets though.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Cool, just got meeting invites so we can have a pre-meeting meeting to discuss what could come up in the meeting. Apparently this meeting is for our Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to engage and collaborate directly together. What that means in reality is a mystery, but I can't wait.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Its like the pregame, just even more frustratingly pointless.

Like my posting.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The HP Laserjet 600 our AR department uses for printing customer statements decided to eat its fuser just a few pages into a 5500 page print job.

So now they have to use an alternate printer that is half the speed. I'll be surprised if they are done before 3PM.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This stack of statements gets printed every Monday morning. If the old lady who prints them hits enter twice, the stack of paper is twice as high.

These then all get SCANNED BACK IN AS PDF's. And emailed to customers.

AS/400 guy won't set it up to print to PDF's.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

This stack of statements gets printed every Monday morning. If the old lady who prints them hits enter twice, the stack of paper is twice as high.

These then all get SCANNED BACK IN AS PDF's. And emailed to customers.

AS/400 guy won't set it up to print to PDF's.

Considering this is printing , I am sure I could figure out a way to print to pdf without using the as400 guy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That is insane. How do you determine which statement goes to which customer? Is it the order in which they scan?

Hope you never get a mis-feed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

Considering this is printing , I am sure I could figure out a way to print to pdf without using the as400 guy.

I'm sure all it needs is a print device on the AS/400 that can create a PDF

There are a couple vendors that make the software. We're switching systems currently so I'm not going to mess with it, it just bothers me that they've done it this way for like 10 years. THINK OF THE TREES

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 2, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Thanks Ants posted:

That is insane. How do you determine which statement goes to which customer? Is it the order in which they scan?

Hope you never get a mis-feed.

That is likely the job of the old lady, she looks at the paper matches it the account and emails it. This is likely her 40 hours a week. I can't see that taking less than 40 hours. Companies often have horrible inefficiencies that require all of someone's time. Fixing it often leads to discovering they actually do nothing useful and don't have any other skills to fill the remaining 35 hours in a week and them getting let go, the 5 hours of work get tacked on to someone else's job without an increase in pay.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Or in this case you could probably set it up to generate and email the reports automatically so the 5 hours become 1 minute for someone to glance at the log and make sure it ran OK.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

pixaal posted:

That is likely the job of the old lady, she looks at the paper matches it the account and emails it. This is likely her 40 hours a week. I can't see that taking less than 40 hours. Companies often have horrible inefficiencies that require all of someone's time. Fixing it often leads to discovering they actually do nothing useful and don't have any other skills to fill the remaining 35 hours in a week and them getting let go, the 5 hours of work get tacked on to someone else's job without an increase in pay.

Someone keys in everyone's payroll from a spreadsheet from PayChex. MANUALLY. Because AS/400 guy never made a way for them to just be able to upload the loving CSV.

Same goes from credit card statements, shipping statements... But it's not entirely his fault, the financial controller (who used to be in charge of IT) "wants someone doing it to make sure it's right" because he's too dumb to realize if you upload a CSV you're not going to have mistakes (unless you have the fields/upload wrong)

We have 7 people in our accounting department not counting an intern and 2 receptionists that do part-time accounting tasks. We're going to only need 3 when this is all done.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I learned a while back that sometimes business doesn't care if things are happening in the most efficient manner, as long as they happen and the staff doing the thing clocks their 40 hours without causing a fuss.

Money still gets made. Wheels still turn.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Swink posted:

I learned a while back that sometimes business doesn't care if things are happening in the most efficient manner, as long as they happen and the staff doing the thing clocks their 40 hours without causing a fuss.

Money still gets made. Wheels still turn.
Between excess staff (like in accounting) and dead weight (relatives of the owner who work here) we'd be profiting another 50% over what we already do. And then cut the one useless side business we have....double profits!

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Co-worker showed up sick today. Won't go home because he got a threatening letter saying he can't take any more unscheduled pto without risking reprimanding or termination.

Just another reason I want out of this place.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Last weekend was the first weekend of the year where it was chilly and half of the people in my office is either coughing, sniffling or sneezing already.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
This is the US, where if you aren't on your deathbed stop being such a wimp and get into work! Who cares if you get everyone else sick?

In things pissing me off this morning: people scheduling meetings I'm required to attend before I am scheduled to get into the office. My schedule is 9-5:30. Why the gently caress are you scheduling meetings I have to attend at 8am? Losing an hour of my already very limited sleep, particularly early in the week, is going to make me want to die by Friday.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 2, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you not just decline the meeting due to it being outside of your contracted hours?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Decline the meeting?

Go in at eight and finish at half-four?

Do something about your lifestyle that stops losing one hour of sleep causing you such dire consequences?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dead Goon posted:

Decline the meeting?

Go in at eight and finish at half-four?

Do something about your lifestyle that stops losing one hour of sleep causing you such dire consequences?

Beat me to it. My oh my how this forum has transformed over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I really wish Excel didn't open CSVs. "Hey these numbers are wrong, they need to be a certain number of digits, and some of them have Es in them?" "That happens when you open it in Excel. The contents of the CSV are fine." We then ask the company we're sending it to if they can handle CSVs. Sure they say! We send over a sample and they ask why the numbers aren't the correct amount of digits and why some have Es in them :ughh: