Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
personally I can't wait to see how they adapt 'THOSE CONFUSING/ANNOYING MEN/WOMEN'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The Lord Bude posted:

Ishamael should be played by someone like Marc Alaimo. And while we're at it cast Louise Fletcher as Elaida.

Ishmael? Like I LOVE Marc Alaimo but he is in his 70s now right?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

Given the lead time between when they made the deal for GoT and when it first aired, I don't think the timing would be terrible. Its gonna take them a while to figure out how to adapt this to TV and have effects that don't look like poo poo. I know a lot of people have joked about it, but I honestly think it might work better as an animated show, just because I can't see anyone having the budget for the effects.

WoT has way more special effect needs that GoT, and they're the kind that will look super cheesy if they aren't pulled off well
I wasn't joking, WoT would work great as a cartoon. I guess we'll see how well it works as a show :v:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

OAquinas posted:

I doubt that there will be an actual series reveal done, but more likely it's just an announcement that a) their lawsuit to regain control of the rights got to the point where the judge told the pilot-makers "Get hosed" and b) they are in talks with NETWORK/DISTRIBUTOR to do something up proper.

:boom:

Nothing concrete, but the path is cleared.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I presume DM said HBO was unlikely because it's just not heir kind of show? It's high fantasy, not gritty sex-filled stuff. Though I guess there's plenty of violence and dark stuff in there.
Then again I have no idea what HBO does apart from GoT right now.

Either way this poo poo is going to cost a lot of money if someone wants to do it right, and take some serious writing talent to make it palatable for a mainstream audience.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
There are a couple of approaches they could take. There are so many problems with live action and the cost of the effects is only one of them. I always figured that with the length of the series, it would be unlikely to get a cast to commit for a decade plus. The major characters maybe, but you're going to run into problems like where the Mountain was portrayed by 3 very different looking men. The story itself only takes place over a couple of years, but there's no way this is less than a 5 year treatment and if they try to go 1:1 book:season then it's going to take for-loving-ever. At least with Harry Potter one book was one year so the actors aging made sense. They could age everyone up and have them just start in their early 20s. At least then it's unlikely to notice that they're outpacing the timeline in the story.

Alternatively there's the all animated route, either CGI or traditional. If voice actors change, it's less noticeable and the effects won't be any more costly than animating anything else.

They could try and do something completely different to make it visually distinct from GoT. Wheel of Time would work fine with practical effects and 80's style rotoscoping for weaves. Or maybe when a channeller touches the source, the show becomes highly stylized animation. There's just no way they get the kind of budget they need to give this movie quality effects, and hell, most fantasy films don't even have the budgets they need and they end up looking loving horrible.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I could see someone like Showtime grabbing it to try and have their own GoT. (Stars kind of has something similar with Outlander. Not really the same thing, but epic costume fantasy enough.) Same for Netflix.

Please don't be SyFy or MTV. Please don't be SyFy or MTV.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I heard the news so I immediately sought out this thread! Yay!

I've always thought (unironically mind you) that Wheel of Time would be best adapted in Japanese animation. This is mainly because its very common in anime for the characters to have their internal monologue going on when they're not talking/are thinking something they shouldn't say/there is some huge disconnect between reality and perception. This is pretty rare in live action and western animation.

Considering how often the characters thinking one thing and saying another, or noticing something unsaid/undone, is a critical plot point that is made clear in the narration but never spoken of even after the fact, I think that'd be an awfully useful thing to prevent having to rewrite a lot of scenes or at least a lot of dialogue.

Any kind of animation is probably the best bet though. Considering some of the things that happen with the Power and ta'veren and the dream world and other effects that would likely be crazy expensive, the whole "only wizards can see magic," probably requiring some unusual visual cueus to convey consistently, the whole concept of Aes Sedai AGELESS FACES that is so crucial in so many scenes, and the huge cast of characters that will be much easier to keep track of with the visual distinction of design that animation allows, it's hard to imagine live action being better.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
A Wheel of Time anime? loving kill me now :suicide:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
*The wheel turns* WoT NEO *the wheel turns* WoT Z *the wheel turns* WoT Evangelion *the wheel turns* WoT SEED

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The book series is long enough I dint need a 1000 episode anime.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Avatar (Airbender/Korra) was a good animated series, there's no need to simply dismiss all anime. And I think other posters are right, WoT would probably work best as an anime. There would be no need to blow a huge budget on special effects.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Torrannor posted:

Avatar (Airbender/Korra) was a good animated series, there's no need to simply dismiss all anime. And I think other posters are right, WoT would probably work best as an anime. There would be no need to blow a huge budget on special effects.

Well, one reason would be that more people would watch a live action series. So better ratings (which matters, depending on which station lands it).

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
No major TV player is going to buy WoT and make it a loving anime, sorry nerds.

e: The reason being that whoever buys it is probably going to be putting down a fair amount of cash money, and, you know, they are going to want people to actually watch it when they produce the show.

Anime may be great and wonderful among you and your friends but the majority of the world is not going to take time to watch cartoons.

How are u fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 29, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nihilarian posted:

I wasn't joking, WoT would work great as a cartoon. I guess we'll see how well it works as a show :v:

It really should be an anime. I'm reason ably certain Jordan was deliberately aping anime tropes (three girlfriends, etc) and the magic system will look cartoony anyway.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Animation would be the best way to do it, and it would also be really expensive and take a much longer time to produce.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

and the magic system will look cartoony anyway.

Why is this? Is anyone going to be watching the show for intricate representations of weaves? You could replace every descriptive of weaves with "she magicked the magic with her magicy magic" and nothing would be lost from the story. Just do some Daredevil style World on Fire vision every now and then and stick to fireballs and wooshy effects.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

How are u posted:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I hope that the actors shout of all of the sword fighting moves each and every time.

BOAR CLEAVES THE MOUNTAIN! WIND BLOWING THROUGH THE GRASS!! TURTLE SUNNING ON THE STONE!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

How are u posted:

I hope that the actors shout of all of the sword fighting moves each and every time.

BOAR CLEAVES THE MOUNTAIN! WIND BLOWING THROUGH THE GRASS!! TURTLE SUNNING ON THE STONE!

They could do that in the training and practice sessions reasonably organically, I think.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I'm reasonably hopeful they'll just axe all that stupid bullshit and have cool swordfighting

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
That stupid bullshit is what makes the sword fighting cool, what the heck.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

nope, don't give a gently caress what the fancy name for your sweet sword-moves are, and extra don't give a gently caress in a visual setting

e: just as bad as the dress descriptions

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
You hate descriptive language in a written format, got it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

:rolleyes: you know what would have improved lightsaber fighting? If they had sweet names for the moves u guyssss

:lol: nice edit. Of course I want descriptive stuff where necessary. Books after it's been established that Rand is now a blade-master it is no longer necessary. On the screen it will also not be necessary, and will bog down poo poo.

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 29, 2016

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Look, I don't want them shouting out names either but in the written form they add to the scene and a three word description of a form is a lot easier to read and visualize than a three sentence blurb detailing the movement. I hear "Cat on Hot Sand" and can visualize that in an instant.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I will wield my heron-marked blade while watching the show, and I will shout the sword forms along with the characters. Tai'shar Pizza Hut!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Double Dish is heavier than a mountain, Thin Crust is lighter than a feather.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I mean, it won't be dumb if it's like in the GoT scenes with Arya and Syrio. Rand learning to fight and being instructed in the sword forms is a perfectly acceptable short/sub-story arc that could occur and adds to character development. Lan yelling out "Heron parting the Rushes" and "Bull taking a poo poo" while they spar wouldn't be weird. Hell, even the awesome dojo scene in the Matrix follows that same sort of structure (Quit trying to hit me and hit me!).

You have a scene like that and it's done. It's implied that there is an artistry to swordsmanship, the readers get a little nod, and it's not as stupid as having Rand's internal monologue shouting out sword forms while he fights.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
If they ruin Mat I will kill every single one of them.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I always liked the Sword Forms thing because without completely sacrificing intensity or visualization for the reader, it gave fights a sort of clinical feel, like the really great swordsmen were fighting each other with math instead of weapons. If X then Y, when Z go to Q, solve for Dead. It not only fit really well with a lot of the overarching themes about humanity and war, and the specific characters like Rand and Lan who embodied those themes, but it also contrasted really well with the Power.

I always thought it was an interesting notion that to be really good as casting spells you had to endure this heightened state of awareness and intense physical, mental and emotional scouring from the force of creation, staying outwardly calm but inwardly struggling to survive, but to be really good at weapons (swords and bows and even commanding troops) you had to cut yourself off from your feelings and become empty so everything became a simple calculation without any emotion to hinder you.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Wonder how the fanbase will react when they realise they can't have a mainstream tv show with three women marrying one guy.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

anime tropes (three girlfriends, etc)

How are u posted:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

El Grillo posted:

Wonder how the fanbase will react when they realise they can't have a mainstream tv show with three women marrying one guy.

Pedophilia, rape, and incest are a-ok but polygamy is just plain wrong!

Never mind that we just had a reasonably successful comedy drama series around that very thing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Or that there isn't currently a super successful series on Netflix right this very moment about a literal (historical) harem.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

broken clock opsec posted:

Pedophilia, rape, and incest are a-ok but polygamy is just plain wrong!

Never mind that we just had a reasonably successful comedy drama series around that very thing.
What was the series?
I guess it's about context right. Having your hero character end up marrying three really hot women isn't going to go down well with mainstream audiences is all I'm saying.
Pedophilia/rape/incest are recognised in GoT as really hosed up things. Rand's foursome is just like eh, he's the big important man, roll with it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

El Grillo posted:

What was the series?

Pretty sure he means Big Love.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

El Grillo posted:

What was the series?
I guess it's about context right. Having your hero character end up marrying three really hot women isn't going to go down well with mainstream audiences is all I'm saying.
Pedophilia/rape/incest are recognised in GoT as really hosed up things. Rand's foursome is just like eh, he's the big important man, roll with it.

Right, it is about context, and to me (I'm by no means well versed in these discussions, mind) the usual polygamous relationship is about the actual power the man holds over the lesser women. Mormon polygamy has to do with patriarchal religious power, an emperor keeping a harem is about political, financial, and "divine right" or some such nonsense.

Not so much with Rand's situation. For the entire run of the series his relationship to the trio is (ugh) serial and not (ugh) parallel. Individually the 3 are some of the most powerful or most respected people of their kingdoms (Min is admittedly late to this party, I don't know if Brandon or RJ came up with the Doomsayer thing but it would probably have made sense to both of them to do) and all 3 of them have or will have Very Important regular poo poo in their lives to have to do. Such as keeping the world from falling into another Age-ending World War. All 3 are in key positions to do that--Elayne as the leader of the most prosperous, stable, and well-armed nation; Aviendha with her responsibility in the Wise Ones to preserve the Aiel and their role in the Dragon's Peace; and Min as a member of Empress Fortuona's inner circle.

In terms of power, "worth", etc.: Rand's given up, variously, his life, his political power, and his identity. It's just him. And 3 women who love him for him--but not in such a way that he is positioned as their entire world.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Well, the only people who make anime are the Japanese, but maybe their take on it wouldn't be terrible...

:geno:

How are u posted:

No major TV player one is going to buy WoT and make it a loving anime, sorry nerds.

Instead we'll have a western version using the covers of Darrell K. Sweet as inspiration.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

thrawn527 posted:

I could see someone like Showtime grabbing it to try and have their own GoT. (Stars kind of has something similar with Outlander. Not really the same thing, but epic costume fantasy enough.) Same for Netflix.

Please don't be SyFy or MTV. Please don't be SyFy or MTV.

The Expanse is pretty awesome. That's on SyFy.

Seems SyFy is trying to gather a reputation for having critically acclaimed shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

theblackw0lf posted:

The Expanse is pretty awesome. That's on SyFy.

Seems SyFy is trying to gather a reputation for having critically acclaimed shows.

SyFy goes back and forth on what it wants its reputation to be a lot.

• Locked thread